[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bendis Vent Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 334
Thread images: 37

File: IMG_1029.png (149KB, 350x215px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1029.png
149KB, 350x215px
Post all your complaints about Benis' stories. And keep it to his writing, don't bring his personal life into this
>>
Who, Bendis?
>>
>>94226607
Stop shoving black characters and their shitty personalities into everything where theyre not needed. Riri is a dumb ugly bitch and has no real character whatsoever
>>
>>94226637
Yeah Bendis. The comic book writer.
>>
>>94226649
Really? Bendis?
>>
>>94226649
The comic book writer?
>>
>>94226655
>>94226667
Brian Michael Bendis. The guy that writes for Marvel.
>>
>>94226667
The comic book writer.
>>
>>94226667
He writes comics?
>>
File: ....jpg (53KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
....jpg
53KB, 900x506px
>>94226607
>>
>>94226698
Comics. He writes 'em.
>>
But no seriously, he sucks. He dismisses every character that's not one of his five or so favorites or his flavor of the month OC. His dialogue patter and humor are so repetitive you can predict it down to the panel (I know a lot floating around the internet are edits but he really does overuse that "same panel dragged out" gag ad nauseam). He seems so dismissive of continuity or any character that isn't a well known "big deal" I honestly wonder if he even wants to write Marvel comics sometimes. And his attitude towards the fans who dare complain is ridiculously arrogant.

I seriously just wish he'd go fuck off to Hollywood with his buddies Jeph and Mark.
>>
I mean, who will ever forget great characters like Goldballs and Daisy Johnson
>>
His GOTG was actually full of great ideas totally squandered by his inability to take anything seriously. Take the Original Sin arc for instance. All he had to do was read Thanos Imperative, find a way out for the survivors, and explain that Peter's new carefree behavior is a coping mechanism for the guilt he feels about Rich not making it out. Respect continuity and provide an in-character explanation for the synergy elements added to Quill's character, simple enough and probably would have satisfied a lot of people. And instead, he totally fucked it.

And that's not even touching on wasting the Badoon, the Spartoi, Angela, the Symbiotes, and the Kree.
>>
>>94226912
Hickman made Quake great. The Synergy ruined her.
>>
>>94226878
I thought Hollywood already rejected him.
>>
>>94226912
I know right. I loved how Iron Man was in Guardians of The Galaxy too.
>>
Guys, guys, Miles's dad has a secret. He was a SHIELD agent!
Guys, guys, Kieron Gillen gave an opportunity to give Tony new parents. This can potentially lead to some interestign developments! And guess what? His mom was a SHIELD agent!
Hey, guys, do you know what new interesting direction I thought up for Ben Grimm? Working as a SHIELD agent!
Guys, guys, you know who would fun to insert into every single story? Maria Hill, a SHIELD Director! With special appearances by Dum Dum Dugan, a SHIELD agent!
Guys, isn't SHIELD cool and exciting and should be shoved everywhere?
>>
File: peter parker is spider-man.jpg (322KB, 1060x1600px) Image search: [Google]
peter parker is spider-man.jpg
322KB, 1060x1600px
>>94226607
>>
Fuck what he did to the symbiotes. At least Venom is bad again.
>>
>>94227159
>At least Venom is bad again.
At what cost? Teaming up with fucking Moongirl?
>>
File: One-More-Day.jpg (248KB, 1400x700px) Image search: [Google]
One-More-Day.jpg
248KB, 1400x700px
Alright lads, what is Bendis' "One More Day"? His most offensively stupid idea?
>>
>>94227247
The way he ended 1610.
>>
>>94227247
Probably not to most people, but to me the worst moment, the thing he did that made me realize how little respect he has for the Marvel universe, was when he killed Alpha Flight--like literally all the classic members sans Northstar--off-panel to build up some stupid OC who was in like one miniseries and never heard from again.
>>
>>94227247
Resurrecting Ultimate Pete, thereby completely diminishing one of his better works.
And not only that, but he revealed that UltPete is immortal and has always been that way, so he also retroactively deflated every single story of UltSpidey
>>
>>94227304
What OC?
>>
>>94227244

Still better than making him Green Lantern Lite.

Which wouldn't even be that bad if it wasn't for his reasoning. "Herp derp, no one remembers Venom was ever bad, let's retcon the whole species instead of, ya know, writing him as a villain again!"
>>
>>94227005
That and al of his creator owned books failed except for Powers I guess but good writers like Ed Brubaker can now live exclusively on their self published books while Bendis is still stuck at marvel writing the same shit maybe that's why he doesn't try anymore
>>
>>94227332
Michael Sphincter or something like that. He joined Omega Flight and Dark X-Men afterwards.
>>
>>94226878
That's the thing he didn't make it in Hollywood and he certainly can't make it anywhere outside of Marvel Entertainment, and he's an Ike guy and Gunn wasn't happy with how the "Creative" Comittee messed with his Thanos scene so he is probably kept at arms length in Marvel Studios, and most likely won't ge tmore than a few "Thank you for making this character/inspiring us" stuff in the credits but he won't work with them.

Hell Geoff Johns has more of a chance of working for Marvel Studios than Bendis seeing how Feige actually likes him and they both know each other from working with Donner.

And say what you want about Johns but if DC/WB were to kick him out Marvel Studios and Marvel Entertainment would hire him in a heartbeat, can't say the same for Bendis especially since Quesada alienated a lot of DC higher ups and Bendis hasn't said nice things about DC.
>>
>>94227332
I don't remember the name but it was some random mailman who absorbed the energy of all the mutants who were depowered on M-Day (yeah, no, don't think about it too hard) and became an out-of-control force of destruction that wiped out Alpha Flight without breaking a sweat and ended up recruited into the Dark X-Men (formed by Norman Osborn because... reasons?) it's been almost a decade I barely remember anymore just cling to the bitterness
>>
>>94227247
Disassemble. An idea that sounds good on paper but he handled terribly, killing off characters for shock value and nothing else and the way he victimized Wanda, man. Not to mention his "there is no chaos magic" bullshit.

What a cock.
>>
>>94227420
Poor Jack of Hearts...
>>
>>94227501
They brought him back though.
>>
>>94227526
Everyone came back, Scott, Vision, Clint. That's not the point.
>>
He keeps getting away with it.
>>
>>94227005
Torso's been in development hell for years, but Paul Greengrass is now going to adapt it as an Eliot Ness movie
>>94226607
Fuck him for killing White Tiger in the most hamfisted way possible just to replace him with an OC
>>
>>94227544
What is the point?
>>
Brian Michael Penis.
>>
>>94227247
Miles morales.
>>
>>94227526
It's been way more than a decade since I read Disassembled, I just remember the way he gets killed is incredibly demeaning like "lol no one even remembers who this chump is." Really it's like, no I didn't know who he was back then either but every character has at least a few fans, sheesh.
>>
>>94227247
I'd say Civil War II (and how he tried to set up Riri as Tony's replacement) on the basis of how botched it was and how it compared badly to Millar's Civil War (which was bad yet still nowhere near as bad as CW2). It had a lot of Bendis' worst aspects.
>>
>>94227651
I hope you're not an Armadillo fan.
>>
>>94226607
>All his mary sue oc's are exactly the same
>they all follow the same arc of aspiring, being told they can't, killing some op badass, being acknowledged as the best ever and better than the original
>all his characters are in everything and are supposed to be the most important but aren't, like Miles in cw2
>he killed Agent Venom
>he has a need to "improve" works that aren't his own by ruining them irreparably
>arrogant
>untalanted
>makes more money and has far more influence than he should
>is only popular because he aped an entire body of work and condensed it for a new age in an incredibly mediocre fashion (ultimate spiderman and co)

He's basically a talentless hack that got incredibly lucky and has no respect for anyone or anything he makes using older works or works other than his own, then he thinks he can do it all better.
>>
>>94227575
They should not have been killed them in the first place. As a plot device, comic book deaths are lazy. It's the equivalent of a jump scare in a horror movie. And eventually bringing these dead characters back just cheapens the gravity of the story in which they died. It's just a revolving door of life and death and it needs to stop.
>>
>>94227642
Not even top 10. Miles' actually fun. Ultimate Green Goblin being an actual Green Goblin actually pissed me off more.
>>
File: 85af35e534ff2a91.jpg (52KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
85af35e534ff2a91.jpg
52KB, 600x600px
>Stop retconning shit, just because you want to leave a mark on it (Beyonder,Ultimate End)
>Stop bringing up multicultural characters, just for being "diverse"
>Stop
>fucking
>writing
>Punisher
>Don`t let him appear in your comics, don´t write about his personality and for gods sake, don´t to a Punisher-run
>>
I think the biggest sin about Bendis as a creator is the interesting ideas he comes up with, only to execute them is such a fucking shitty fashion.

>Disassembled
>Miles Morales
>Dark Reign
>Secret Invasion
>Iron Doom
>the rightclops revolution

There's a shit ton of others, but Bendis has always come up with fantastically intriguing ideas which in the hands if a more competent writer would make for something memorable.the fact he throws continuty (including his own) out the window for the sake of convinence for his idea makes him uncreative because he can't work within the box if restraint, the unlimited access marvel grants him. This makes gor a terrible writer because if you give a writer unlimited access and bo restraint, they can't be forced to think creatively in the way many writers have to usually in the situation of limitations.

Miles Morales is the biggesr sin of his because that charachter works in the idea that he is succeeding a deceased peter parker. Having him and peter around at the same time makes Miles unimportant and lately his book gives him no personality. Even giving Miles dad the former SHIELD agent trwatment is shitry and uncreative because Peter already has that back story, rendering Miles an uncreative plagerist OC.
>inb4 Bendis' wife's kids
OP said not to drag his personal life into it
>>
>>94227864
>Miles' actually fun.
That's a meme and I'll tell you why by asking you a question.

What is Miles' personality like?
>>
>>94227651
Everyone died like a chump in Disassembled.
>>
I hate him for a number of reasons, but you really have to give him shit for pushing his terrible characters. Miles went from inoffensive to downright annoying to look at just from the amount of exposure/dicksucking he gets
>>
>>94227891
When in costume? He's pretty much Peter Parker. Out of costume he's boring, i'll give you that.
>>
>>94227993
So out of costuem, he has no character, and in costume he's basically a nearly literal carbon copy of spiderman.

Even that's a stretch, he tries to joke or make fun of villains as notspider-man, but even that doesn't work great.
>>
>>94227891
>What is Miles' personality like?

In kids cartoons and other crossovers, he usually serious/awkward.
>>
>>94228071
>serious/awkward
Totally fun, huh?
>>
>>94228061
Sure. He's fun as a spider-man can be. He's still not a great character but compared to the other shit Bendis has done? He's a fantastic character.
>>
>>94227893
Yeah I'm re-reading it now and I had totally forgotten it starts with Jack, literally a rotting zombie, staggering onto their lawn and Scott Lang just walking right up to him like "uhhh hey you okay, buddy?" lol (admittedly this could be Hitch's fault more than Bendis's)
>>
File: dolan.jpg (76KB, 576x792px) Image search: [Google]
dolan.jpg
76KB, 576x792px
>>94227333
No one fucking acknowledged space knight when they could, even venom space knight tried to get him out of space because Bendis is a cunt. We lost Anti-Venom, and Eddie Brock characterization just to "get Venom back". Eddie fucking refers to the symbiote as "my love" for fucks sake, while the symbiote keeps doing character 180's every other issue.

Bendis's only good point is that he's some how not as shitty of a writer than Mike Costa.
>>
>>94228104
>admittedly this could be Hitch's fault

You mean Finch, Hitch drew Age of Ultron
>>
He ruined Sentry and any potential he had by turning the character into a shitty punchline before having him thrown into the sun.

For that reason alone I will never buy another Bendis comic.
>>
File: dog face.jpg (112KB, 750x642px) Image search: [Google]
dog face.jpg
112KB, 750x642px
>>94228121
>Age of Ultron
Oh god i'd forgotten about that
>>
>>94228099
Comparing two terrible things to one another doesnt magically make the less terrible of the two good anon. We all know why Miles' exists. He was an elseworlds character that got pushed for the sake of virtue signaling and so Bendis could get a paycheck each time he appears. Practically every single person who claims to be a fan of Miles is spouting bullshit
>>
>>94228099
>fantastic character
>has no character
This doesn't make any sense. It's not even likes 90's cheese where it's all over the top and goofy, it's like some weird parody comic you'd see in a movie with no substance. I mean, i guess it's more fun than getting holes drilled in your teeth?
>>
>>94228096
>Totally fun, huh?
He usually get push over into doing stuff unlike peter parker. I think he is more stupider than him, because he can't think up of plans and usually get his ass kick by criminals with a brain.
>>
>>94228187
>I mean, i guess it's more fun than getting holes drilled in your teeth?
Exactly my point.

>>94228169
>Practically every single person who claims to be a fan of Miles is spouting bullshit
Who there I'm not a fan. All I'm saying is that between all the shit Bendis has come up with, Miles is probably the least offensive.
>>
>>94228202
What you've described is Sam Nova, who is leagues better than Miles. He's also not equipped with a win button, so he gets his shit pushed in and has conflict. Miles never has any conflict, neither do any of his shitty ocs.
>>
>>94228121
>>admittedly this could be Hitch's fault
>You mean Finch, Hitch drew Age of Ultron
Durr, yes. In my defense they had virtually the same style back then.
>>
>>94226607

he caused a lot of harm to the X-Men franchise
-He ruined Phoenix Lore in Avengers vs X-Men, it was never necessary to practice Kung Fu with Iron Fist to be a good Phoenix Host.
-By bringing the O5 from the past, he eliminated the possibility of a new X-Men book featuring the newer generation of mutants, like Hellion, Rockslide, Elixir, Quentin etc.
-Having Teen Cyclops in the present allowed Marvel to kill Old Cyclops.
-Broke up Cyclops and Emma Frost.
-Made Iceman gay

Bendis is the end of everything good that begun with Morrison.
>>
File: 118284.jpg (52KB, 675x564px) Image search: [Google]
118284.jpg
52KB, 675x564px
COMICS!
>>
>>94227651
Jack of Hearts was already dead, to be fair. It was Scott Lang he really treated like shit. Lang's death was such a throwaway that it was included in the free preview pages for the issue.

Lang was Geoff Johns' pet character (he'd never been an Avenger before Johns' run) and he ended his run with Jack of Hearts dying to save Lang's daughter. Also Bendis wanted to kill Lang in "Alias" and was told no because Johns was using him.

So it really seems like an act of spite against Johns, just like the treatment of Wanda and Vision was a middle finger to old-school Avengers fans and fans of the Busiek run in particular.
>>
>>94228212
You're playing devils advocate and saying something is fun because it's not physical torture. Fucking America Chavez is better by being so terrible it's funny, Miles is bland conflictless garbage that's not even mildly entertaining. There's a myriad of other books better than him out there, on a few of them are spider-man titles.
>>
>>94227247
not much fo the gay thing, but for how it was handled.
>>
>>94228233
>What you've described is Sam Nova, who is leagues better than Miles. He's also not equipped with a win button, so he gets his shit pushed in and has conflict. Miles never has any conflict, neither do any of his shitty ocs.

Fine, whatever. It is like talking to a wall.
>>
>>94228276
>You're playing devils advocate
No i'm not you spaz. I simply meant to say that Miles is the least of Bendis' troubles. That he's fun when compared to Age of Ultron or Avengers Disassembled or whatever fuck.
>>
>>94226607
He's off X-Men, he's off Guardians. I'm not an Iceman fan. I don't care about him anymore.
>>
>>94228248
And that list doesn't even include all the BS with his Jewfu.
>>
>>94227020
>Iron Man
>Captain Marvel
>Agent Venom
>Kitty
>Thing
He really went all-out with GotG
>>
>>94227304
Wait, that was him?
>>
>>94228292
The worst part about this is that there's so many ways that you could out Iceman better than what Bendis ended up writing.

In the first place, having Jean (who was shown to be able to influence minds) practically tell Bobby "You're gay" and "you're definitely not bi" was the stupidest move to make. Did no one defending this comic notice what a terrible idea this was? Everywhere else that wasn't infested with clickbait journalists, I see people who would be okay with gay Iceman yet think this was terrible.
>>
>>94228429
On the plus side, it made me re-read Abnett and Laning's run to wash off the bad taste in my mouth.
>>
File: NewAvengers026-007_zps46736b0a.jpg (773KB, 967x866px) Image search: [Google]
NewAvengers026-007_zps46736b0a.jpg
773KB, 967x866px
>>94227420
>Not to mention his "there is no chaos magic" bullshit.

The thing about that is it shows Bendis's sheer brazen laziness. The previous Avengers run had retconned in that Scarlet Witch's mutant power was to control "chaos magic." It was something he could either accept or retcon out, either would be fine. Most writers seem to think"chaos magic" was dumb anyway.

But Strange shows up in Disassembled and says "there is no such thing as chaos magic" and then *in the very same speech* says her mutant power is to control magic. It's clear Bendis hasn't read the previous stories closely and isn't sure what he's changing here. He cycles through about 3 definitions of her powers in the same speech.

Then about a year later he has the same character, Strange, describe her power as chaos magic.

And of course Bendis actually prides himself on getting stuff like this wrong or confused, because it shows he's not a lame continuity-obsessed fanboy. He likes superheroes but he has real contempt for superhero comic writing culture, and I can't get over how much better of a writer he seems to think he is than most of the people (except Frank Miller) who came before him, when he's just not.
>>
>>94226607
he singlehandedly made repetition of dialogue hated so if any other writer uses it, then they are a hack like him now
>>
>>94228480
>It's clear Bendis hasn't read the previous stories
This encapsulates my issues with Bendis. He either doesn't read the books leading to his tenure or he completely disregard whatever came before him because he's too good for that. He's a fucking imbecile.
>>
>>94228723
To me that's less of a problem compared to how he seems to forget what happened in his own comics (ie Ultimate Spider-Man learns Matt Murdock is Daredevil, then somehow doesn't remember this in the Ultimatum tie-in).

Worst of it was when he forgot what happened only pages ago in Civil War II #1. Tony is upset because he warned Carol! But he didn't warn her about getting a hero killed in battle, he warned her about Ulysses seeing a hero as a threat!
>>
>>94226607
The only complaints I have are his laziness and and his status inside Marvel. 15 years ago, he was one of my favorite writers. USM got me into Spider-Man as a character and his run on Daredevil was awesome. The Bendis of 15 years ago no longer exists. The Bendis that wrote with craft and thought has been replaced by someone riding his coattails.
>>
>>94227247
I was originally going to say retconning Thanos Imperative, but then I remembered Age of Ultron was a thing.
>>
>>94228876
>but then I remembered Age of Ultron was a thing.
How could you forget
>>
File: Bran Michell Benis.png (2MB, 1822x1016px) Image search: [Google]
Bran Michell Benis.png
2MB, 1822x1016px
>>94226637
>>
>>94226949
This is exactly my feelings about his GotG. It's so infuriating to feel like you can create a much better and respectful story with all of his ideas in one afternoon. Like, all of his arcs had potential. Even stuff like Venom becoming good, married Quill and Kitty or Guardians of Knowhere could go a lot of interesting places in the hands of a competent writer. I'm not even talking about DnA or Giffen. Put Duggan, Zdarsky, unrestrained Abnett. All writers of post movie Guardians that did at least a decent job. Bendis destroyed at least 10 years worth of stories in 46 issues for being a lazy writer. It's sad at the end of the day.
>>
>>94228480
Wasn't that the same year Strange looked like a hipster and was using "Catastrophe Magic"? I remember it as being quite jarring when he said "there is no such thing as chaos magic" while he was using magic that basically did the same thing by description an unrelated issue ago.
>>
>>94229161
I have no idea, but the use of Strange in Disassembled is so bad that Tom Brevoort, who rarely badmouths his own writers in public, said he thought the ending was unsatisfying because the Avengers have nothing to do with it: Doctor Strange shows up, explains everything, ends the threat himself, and then Magneto shows up to take Wanda away.

And remember, this is what Bendis does *after* Brevoort (who actually has read the comics) has given him notes.
>>
File: Spider-Man_1_Cover.jpg (489KB, 988x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Spider-Man_1_Cover.jpg
489KB, 988x1500px
>>94226607
I try to avoid this guy like the plague, but I took a look at the new Spider-Men recently, mostly for the Sara Pichelli art and I made the mistake of trying to actually read. My God, this guy is getting worse. When I got to the point where that girl in the vlog that Miles and his boyfriend keep checking, for some reason, and she made a huge deal about Spider-Man being black, I had to stop.

Cringiest of cringiest. I just looked at the art from then on.
>>
>>94226607
I want to like Miles but stop with the fucking Venom Blast spam. It kills the whole tension.
>>
>>94229243
fuck what a mong
>>
>>94229243
IIRC Magneto only showed up in Disassembled because Loeb asked Bendis how Magneto would react to what's happened to Wanda and Bendis admitted he didn't even think of that.
>>
>>94229442
Unfortunately that led to years of stories both in 616 and Ultimates (thanks to Loeb) where "she's Magneto's daughter" was one of the only two things anybody remembered about the Scarlet Witch.

Kind of funny now that they deny she ever was related to him.
>>
>>94228480
I'm up to pt 3 of Disassembled right now and during the part where they finally confront Wanda, there's a page where she has each of the Avengers facing their ultimate enemy---Cap is fighting an illusory Red Skull, Banner the Hulk, Carol Rogue, Spiderman at least two other versions of himself (?) and then Beast is fighting... Wolverine? I guess Finch just really wanted to draw him IDK
>>
>>94229561
>Spiderman at least two other versions of himself (?)

It's a reference to the Clone Saga.
>>
>>94226607
He's quite possibly the laziest writer I've ever seen. His writing of dialogue is repetitive because of his laziness. He isn't willing to follow any continuity or even his own fucking continuity. And he'll keep doing it, because he cannot take criticism, he probably has his own template for how he writes things and probably just does it for the paycheck. But with that said, I still enjoy his Daredevil.
>>
I think the main problem of Bendis is that he's obsessed with shaking the Status Quo. Some would say he's the perfect embodiment of what's wrong with Marvel. Namely change for the sake of change. That's the seal of Bendis. He's a master of the art of pitching stories. When he describes how every time he pitch an idea, everyone in the room stays jaw dropped, I believe him, because he has guts to think outside the box. I know some ass would come now and tell me that changing status quo is not something special. I'd say that's not completely true. Even here on /co/ you can see hundreds of threads of people complaining why something is not like it was before. This is because the mentality inside comics has always been the one Stan Lee preached; "The Illusion of Change" we don't want anything to change permanently. Bendis isn't ruled by that, at least not completely. He doesn't let anything rule his writing. Absolutely nothing. And while that's great when it comes to take bold chances, it also will eventually alienate that big part of the industry I mentioned before. Including fans. Of course none of this would matter if the changes would be introduced in a way so good everyone would accept it in the end if just to honor the story that was so good. But Just like your regular amateur writer, Bendis nevr bothers with the story, just the change is what matters. Which is why his stories are more remembered by what he changed than what happened. It's why his characters are so bland and empty. It's why his stories have no content. Of course, this wasn't always the case as he used to master the art of carácter developing through dialogue. Which is why his early work is beyond awesome. Nowadays however, it's amazing how Little he cares.

This of course doesn't mean he can't produce gems every once in a while (UXM18, GotGV216 among some more), but in general his work never lives up to the hype of his pitches, which leaves everyone even more enraged.
>>
>>94229671
>Some would say he's the perfect embodiment of what's wrong with Marvel. Namely change for the sake of change.

I agree. I mean the problem is that a lot of Bendis' (and Marvel's) defenders on this board and others think that changing solely for the sake of change is okay. But if you don't have an actual weight to the changes and keep making more and more changes, then there's nothing worth getting interested in.

The last two years I think what happened is Marvel out-changed itself to the point where anything they announce is getting mediocre and indifferent reactions. And it's even reflected in the sales where they have to do overships or use subscription boxes or incentive variants to hide how bad things have gotten.
>>
>>94228380
>shit is less than diarrhea
Shit is still shit regardless, fucking nam was "fun" compared to WW2.
>>
>>94229510
The other reason Scarlet Witch fans hate Bendis so much is not that he breaks characters, it's that he breaks characters with no plan on how to un-break them.

If you have a character go mad and omnipotent and destroy the Avengers and then, a year later, wipe out the mutant race, then she should never be used as a hero again ever unless you have a plan to fix her. But he clearly didn't, so she spent years in character limbo and is still not recovered from the damage after all these years.

Marvel has this problem with the treatment of its characters, they never seem to have a plan for fixing anybody (even flagship characters like Tony Stark and Steve Rogers). But Bendis acts like if it's not an A-list character, complaining about what he does to them is just another old-fashioned fanboy thing.
>>
>>94228292
>>94228472
Iceman wasn't gay, Juggs is bi, but instead of respecting canon, he just does whatever he wants and gets paid for it. He's a prick.
>>94228480
>And of course Bendis actually prides himself on getting stuff like this wrong or confused, because it shows he's not a lame continuity-obsessed fanboy.
Does he actually do this? He comes across as pretentious as fuck, but I didn't know he actually had contempt for his audience.
>>
>>94229924
>If you have a character go mad and omnipotent and destroy the Avengers and then, a year later, wipe out the mutant race, then she should never be used as a hero again ever unless you have a plan to fix her. But he clearly didn't, so she spent years in character limbo and is still not recovered from the damage after all these years.
He did the same shit with Wonderman, where the issue starts with Wonderman being batshit insane and assembling a team of people who would never go along with him to kill the avengers for....being avengers.
>>
>>94227888
Is Bendis the Moffat of comics?
>>
>>94229995
>Moffat
You mean that writer who essentially killed Doctor Who?
>>
>>94229956
>Does he actually do this? He comes across as pretentious as fuck, but I didn't know he actually had contempt for his audience.

I don't think he has contempt for his audience, I think he has contempt for old-fashioned ways of writing comics. When he started on Avengers he talked to the Comics Journal about how he was going to bring more sophisticated storytelling to the title and not just imitate Roy Thomas (possibly a swipe at Busiek but not necessarily).

So I think he tries to avoid trying too hard to get continuity right, because that's something an old-fashioned writer would do. In 2001 his style probably was a breath of fresh air after years of a more old-fashioned Marvel house style, but now it's become so boring that the few writers who do take continuity seriously, like Ewing, seem like rebels.
>>
>>94227247

Either retconning Thanos Imperative or what he did to Wanda.
>>
>>94228848
I keked hard when that happened in Ultimatum. He wasn't writing that though. Loeb was.
>>
>>94230027
Yes. He and Bendis have the same writing style. A interesting and fun idea that they can't deliver on. They're both very popular and wealthy for almost no reason. They both constantly wank about progressive stuff but handle it poorely (Riri and Billie)
>>
>>94230045
Well, he seems arrogant as fuck.
Old fashioned doesn't mean it's bad, all he did was take years of stories other people made and condensed them. He's a glorified revisionist.

Even when he was new I don't think his stuff was any good, I don't see how disrespecting previous writers work is a good thing in the slightest, especially when they're better writers than he is. Wasn't this fat clown a romance novel writer while working in a soup kitchen before he lucked out writing marvel?
>>
>>94230154
Honestly I dropped Doctor Who sometime during Matt's era, so I'm not certain how much worse it could have gotten. I just remember asspull solutions, enemies being made laughable jokes/overdone, and a over importance on companions
>>
The fundamental problem as I see it with Bendis' approach to writing comics--and it's something he has in common with his contemporaries Millar and Loeb--is there's always this Summer blockbuster, drop all the toys out of the toybox and break 'em, kind of mindset behind everything he writes. Like it's not enough for the Avengers to have trouble with some Badguy of the Week, it's always gotta be Dr. Doom or Ultron or a full-scale alien invasion, it's always got to be the ultimate showdown this week and all that stuff in the past was chump change. Seriously how many times has Bendis had half the heroes on Marvel earth just show up en masse in one of his titles or another just so we can be clear, yes, this ks literally the most important thing happening right now? "All the heroes show up en masse" is an image he's deeply in love with and it's annoying as hell because what is Moon Knight gonna contribute when he's standing like five feet from Black Bolt?

Like, I get it, you want to sell comics, you want people to think they need to be reading THIS issue, THIS arc, etc, but at a certain point pure hyperbole gets stale, you know? Bendis would be a lot better if he stuck with the cast he actually wants to write rather than have, say, She-Hulk and Wolverine milling atound in the back sounding weirdly flat and out of character.
>>
>>94229352
>When I got to the point where that girl in the vlog that Miles and his boyfriend keep checking, for some reason, and she made a huge deal about Spider-Man being black, I had to stop.
When that issue came out Tumblr turned on Bendis and claimed it was wrong to make Miles upset at the idea that he's "black Spider-Man" instead of just "Spider-Man." It was actually one of the few times Miles was interesting but they used it as an example of why white people shouldn't write minorities. Even better was when blacks on tumblr mentioned that they saw where Miles was coming from but they were either told how wrong they were or outright ignored.
>>
>>94228929
Is this an edit? Would Wolverine ever, ever say
>Someone with non-Snikt options should be doing this!
It sounds like something Deadpool or Spider-Man with a shitty writer would say.
>>
>>94229956
Yeah, there's this real mentality of, of course we should take a sledgehammer approach to everything and if you don't like it you're just a fuddy-duddy fanboy who needs to unclench, comics are supposed to be fun, etc. This really came out of the early 00s, the beginning of the Quesada era when there was a real push to make comics "cool" and more accessible and cut back on dense continuity. And some great stuff came out of that like Morrison's New X-Men. The problem is that approach burns things out quickly, there's no desire to build even a new mythos, just relentless events and revisionism and blah. Compare Claremont's fifteen years of building an increasingly baroque, evolving canon for the X-Men vs the last 15 years at Marvel where everything blows up every week and what you thought you knew was wrong and yadda yadda. Bendis really is the epitome of that "fuck yesterday" style.
>>
>>94229956
It's not that he hates the audience, it's more that he truly believes a good story shouldn't be tied by continuity or anything really. I'm pretty sure that 90% of the time his continuity errors are completely accidental, mainly because he does no research at all. However his pride at the act after fans let him know about the mistake, comes from the fact he truly believes his story is a good one. Like, he prides on the fact that he could write a good story without the need of continuity, validating his beliefs in the process. Of course, 8 times out of 10 his story is dogshit.
>>
>>94230255
Yeah, it's an edit.
>>
File: 1444213259832.png (265KB, 342x450px) Image search: [Google]
1444213259832.png
265KB, 342x450px
As a black person I genuinely wish he would stop writing black people, he has no idea how to make any black characters actually interesting or worth reading. Hell he doesn't know anything about black people.Riri wouldn't actually be someone's name, it would be a nickname. Cage told Miles it's a good thing he's out there being black Spider-Man because it means something to people despite there being a bunch of other black heroes. Made Black Panther Carol's lapdog during CWII on top of killing Rhodey to give Tony and Carol something to fight over. What's worse is he pats himself on the back for being able to write minorities.
>>
>>94226949
>All he had to do was read Thanos Imperative, find a way out for the survivors, and explain that Peter's new carefree behavior is a coping mechanism for the guilt he feels about Rich not making it out.
This so much.

The issue basically wrote itself, I seriously don't know how he ended up fucking it up and pissing off nearly every one who was once a fan of both Richard and the Guardians. You gotta be a next level of bad to achieve this kind of crap.
>>
File: Age of Ultron 009.jpg (2MB, 1920x2951px) Image search: [Google]
Age of Ultron 009.jpg
2MB, 1920x2951px
>>94230255
It's an edit. Here you go.
>>
>>94230427
WEW
I mean, yeah, comics should be accessible, and there ought to be a nice condensed collection of stories, but that shit should be decided by a group with autists. It should also have a better writer than Bendis making it all cohesive.

But fuddy duddy? His comics aren't even fun, it's like trashbin schlock. Fun comics is shit like Franken castle or good 90's Venom books where it's stupid but you're laughing because it's over the top and they know it. He says fun, but he puts out shitty melodrama that's supposed to earn him good boy points with the hugbox crowd. I despise him.

I fucking hate the event culture in comics now, needs to fucking die.
>>
>>94230467
>Made Black Panther Carol's lapdog during CWII on top of killing Rhodey to give Tony and Carol something to fight over.

Through, he did turn on her in the end.
>>
>>94230431
That's just it though, that's fucking arrogance. Writing a terriuble story and proping it up on the marvel name and brand so that it sells better than none at all and then claiming it's because you wrote a good story? What a cunt. I won't even get into the logic loop that is this validation thing of his.

I'm sure selling lots of comics fuels his ego too, but when you write almost fucking everything at Marvel you're bound to sell something.
>>
>>94227083
Wasn't SHIELD in every othee USM story? Bendis used them way too much.
>>
>>94228260
And then Johns went onto making the comics division great and be put behind the DC movie universe meanwhile Bendis got kicked out from the Marvel films and is currently rotting on the sinking ship that's Marvel's comic division.

Karma.
>>
>>94230527
Yeah the annoying thing is we should be able to have our cake and eat it too. Continuity was never THAT big a ball and chain, you had PAD and Busiek back in the day and guys like Ewing or Hickman now who have no problem working with it and can keep it all more or less straight, and it's like can't you seriously take a few hours to run your shit by them and make something that's accessible without actively peeing on other peoples' ideas?
>>
>>94230467
he didn't jsut kill Rhodes for black Panther. He did it so he could make his shitty oc Riri seems more special than she is. He killed off a minority to push a minority. One with loads more character than autistic black child who is the smartest in the universe.
>>
>>94230527
>but that shit should be decided by a group with autists
This isn't the solution either. It has been stated that Marvel was actually doing this by the end of the 90s, namely asking all autists which characters stayed and which left, and well, before the Jemas/Quesada era, you can see how well that turned out.
>>
>>94230627
That's just it, if you have a committee, you can even twist works that don't make sense into the cannon and make them work if you're going for a compilation.

On the other hand, reading Defalco era Spiderman with Hobgoblin, you could pick up any fucking issue and be filled in on the majority of the events to that point, sometime even get Pete's origin. That whole arc was great, didn't require much to keep straight continuity either.

He's a lazy sack of shit who doesn't deserve what he's got.
>>
>>94230593
Well we all know he's kind of an arrogant guy. But the main point is that he doesn't hate his audience. Not at all.
>>
>>94230629
>he didn't jsut kill Rhodes for black Panther. He did it so he could make his shitty oc Riri seems more special than she is. He killed off a minority to push a minority. One with loads more character than autistic black child who is the smartest in the universe.

How does it make her special?
>>
>>94230715
Because without a black man filling what is essentially her role, she can seem more special by default. This is why Pepper Pots also took a back seat during this time and resurfaced later as Riri's supporting cast.

So by removing the black ironman and female ironman, black female ironman looks better.
>>
>>94230694
Fair enough, I'm just not sure I buy it.
>>
>>94230715
Bendis wanted everyone to forget that Rhodey was the first black person to wear an iron man suit so he could push his own creation. Basically doing the same thing over but claiming to be original. Whats more offensive is that Rhodes had a established niece who was smart that could have taken over the role
>>
>>94230682
There should definitely be an easy middle ground between Busiek Avengers where half of every page is word balloons giving you a breakdown of the last 30 years and going full Loeb where the entire rogues' gallery shows up just to job and "everything you knew was WRONG!"
>>
>>94228723
It's like he took the concept of the USM pitch and applied it to all his Marvel books. Basically ignore everything before and write what you want.
>>
>>94226607
He's a decent writer at his best...but I would've never banked the whole fucking company on him.
>>
>>94230822
I think the best solution is making a definitive collect of each heroes/hero team in a sort of masterwork. Keeping the volumes down, trying to cut as much fluff, keep character development. It'd be a lot of work, and you'd need some experienced editors, artists, and writers, but the end result would be an easy to pick up collection of trades that anyone could read.

You could still keep out of cannon issues as their own separate thing, and have em re absorbed into the cannon if they made the cut. That way you could still offer trades and collections of the old/new stuff, but have a definitive collection of what was canon. It'd also keep dogshit that awful writers write out of main continuity so you don't get stuff like goblin rape babies, or carol's future son alien rape baby.
>>
Talking about continuity, has Bendis ever make a huge huge mistake in terms of continuity? Like something really big.

Forgetting Doc Samson was dead is dumb but in the end pretty small, and nobody except autists cares nowadays. Making characters weak/strong to serve his story is just power creep (because if we listened to all the continuity of every character regarding their powers, everyone would be fucking invincible by now).

GotG Original Sin aside, I tihnk he knows about the major events of the Marvel Universe. Like what was his biggest continuity mistake ever?
>>
File: IMG_2051.jpg (303KB, 560x856px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2051.jpg
303KB, 560x856px
>>94230694
>the main point is that he doesn't hate his audience. Not at all.
I don't know how anyone can believe this statement when Bendis publishes stories like Ultimate End, with a cover like this.

Look at his face here.
>>
>>94230876
The worst thing that happened to Bendis' career was being given the keys to the kingdom. He was fine when he had his own little street-level corner of the universe. Give him a self-contained Spiderman or Jessica Jones/Cage/Daredevil title, or a SHIELD ongoing or something and he does good work. He's terrible at cosmic stuff or earthshaking events.
>>
>>94229995
Anon, you are somewhat right about Bendis being the comics version of Moffat.

If anyone is the Moffat of comics, it would be Dan Slott
>>
File: sad bendis.png (422KB, 758x588px) Image search: [Google]
sad bendis.png
422KB, 758x588px
>>
>>94226643
>Black characters written by Bendis
>Personalities

Choose one anon. You can't have both!
>>
>>94230814
>>94230779
It seems to be stupid. It is like saying miles going to take over peter parker role as spider-man.
>>
>>94226949
>Take the Original Sin arc for instance. All he had to do was read Thanos Imperative, find a way out for the survivors, and explain that Peter's new carefree behavior is a coping mechanism for the guilt he feels about Rich not making it out.

Yeah that would have been a nice thing to explore and with good writing Rich's sacrifice could have been a tragic thing and a point of hurt and anger for Quill.

Rich was younger (no more than 25), he killed Annihilus, and had a bright future ahead despite of all the stuff thrown at him. Peter saw himself already at the end of his career and with all of his mistakes and wrongdoings you could argue he had a deathwish. In Peter's eyes he shouldn't have survived, Rich should've been the one.

They were both suppose to die with the Cancerverse imploding but it didn't go quite like that. And Rich being a self sacrificial and impulsive guy saw that he could save Drax and Peter even if it meant dooming himself so he went and did it (and it occurred to me that he could open stargates as Nova Prime right? Bendis could certainly have played with that if he bothered reading). Also Peter is the one who invited Rich to go to the Cancerverse with the Guardians so he could feel guilt about that too.

Rich's death would be the final straw for Peter, he just doesn't give a shit anymore, he picks fights, sleeps around, everything slides off of him, he's more reckless and nothing worries him that much. He still saves the galaxy but is a bit selfish about it and because doing it pro bono never got him anywhere good. Then Gamora and Rocket come to him and try to reinstate the Guardians again for whatever reason and they have to deal with getting Peter on board and actually being serious about it.

I think Duggan mentioned something about a reunion between those two and he's doing flashback issues so he might actually do something emotional and hopefully retcon some of that Bendis shit.
>>
>>94230945
first of all that's a variant, second that variant was drawn by Young and, after it was finished, he showed to Bendis, he wasn't even sure fi he wanted it to be the variant.

And last I don't know what this even proves. Like I said, we know he's arrogant.
>>
>>94230954
See, the thing is, back when that was going on, he was still taking from writers before him, just editing them and regurgitating it. On top of that, he had editors who would probably be on his ass about fucking things up like he does.

Now that he's king shit and isn't stealing from people better than him, his "talent" comes out. Turns out he's really good at churning out dogshit.
>>
>>94230069
Gonna have to go with these.
>>
>>94230915
You don't need to make one huge continuity error to be a hack. Just hundreds of small errors most people will never catch. That's why Bendis is one of the most successful writers at Marvel right now. Most people never spot his fuckups, and the people who do spot them are angry nerds like us that no one ever listens to. But in Bendis' case, these "errors" he makes can hardly be called errors when he just does things with the direct intention to break continuity.
>>
>>94231015
He's been pushing for that for years, he can't do it because no one fucking wants it. If Marvel movies does it though, you can expect classic Peter to be killed off completely. It's also not the same thing.
>>
>>94231062
The other thing is that he seems to be of the mindset that comics has a turnover in its audience of every 10 years or so. Only crusty old diehards remember what was going on back in 2007 nowadays so who cares if he literally rehashes Civil War for max S Y N E R G Y or writes a Defenders comic with the same characters hitting the same beats he wrote back in the day?
>>
>>94231040
>after it was finished, he showed to Bendis, he wasn't even sure fi he wanted it to be the variant.
You're gonna have to provide a source on that claim. In any event, he ended up approving this cover anway.

>And last I don't know what this even proves. Like I said, we know he's arrogant.
The point is that, in addition to his arrogance, he also holds no second thoughts for the characters he assassinates, nor does he care about the fans of these characters. His passive-aggressive attitude online and in social media prove his contempt to the audience he has garnered over the years. There's no other excuse for his recent actions. It's far more than mere arrogance.
>>
>>94226607
He ruined Beast and made sure that everyone after him writes him like an asshole
>>
>>94231193
I mean, it's not literally the same thing but really it is--the authorities overreach, Maria Hill is a psychopath everyone tolerates for some reason, they build a superjail and all the superheroes fight. The sheer shamelessness of copying your own stories from barely a decade ago is staggering.
>>
>>94231198
To be fair that started with Fraction. Bendis just added more gas to the fire.
>>
>>94231195
This is like saying he deliberately makes bad stories so people could hate him. That's dumb. You, and a lot of people, might see what he does as him ruining characters but I don't think that's his intentions with most of them. Does he have characters he hates and deliberately ruins? Of course, but that's not because he hates the fans, it's because he hates the characters. As for ther rest, there has been plenty of times he had professed his undying love for some characters that, reading his stories, you wouldn't know he loves, because those stories are bad.

As for his attitude on social media, he always acts accordingly when provoked. If you read some of his answers on Tumblr to people who isn't trying to provoke him, he's the nicest guy. His passive-agressiveness comes from the fact he's arrogant and will defend his work but like I said before: arrogance =/= hating his audience
>>
>>94227651
>>94227304
Bendis is like that with c-list characters he doesn't give a shit about. He makes them the butt of jokes and treats them in horrible and demeaning ways for a laugh.

I remember how much of an asshole he was with Bucky when he was Captain America. he had the other heroes disrespect Bucky, had the Avengers kids from the future hate Bucky for whatever dumb unexplained reason that he never bothered to elaborate, and when Bucky lost the shield in his Dark Reign tie-in Luke Cage picks it up with the intention of "giving it to Cap" and he gives it to Steve.

Oh but the fucker sees a private early screening of Winter Soldier and he tweets about how much he loved the movie and how tragic Bucky's character was and how it's one of his favorite movies.

Hopefully he never writes a Captain America comic (he had Steve cheat on Sharon once and had Tony openly acknowledged it in the comic and everyone just laughed it up).
>>
>>94231357
So your belief is that he doesn't actually have contempt for comic fans, but rather is just a petty, selfish, shallow human being who only writes for himself and anyone who disagrees with his decisions can fuck off. I can probably agree with that.
>>
>>94231357
>This is like saying he deliberately makes bad stories so people could hate him. That's dumb.
There's a few writers who do this, Morrison did it at the end of his X-men run, Slott is that kinda spiteful, and I think Joss did that with Punsiher. I could go on, there's multiple incidents of this kind of thing.

It's not far fetched to believe a man secure in his position at marvel would intentionally do things like this to piss off fans, especially with Marvel's philosophy of pissing off fans to sell books.
>>
>>94227607
he does look like he's got a dick for a head.
>>
>>94231024
this would still leave the change of depressed Quill to movie Quill in the air. (which I'm convinced it's a mandate of editorial)
>>
File: 1501191446512.jpg (544KB, 1041x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1501191446512.jpg
544KB, 1041x1600px
>>94226607
He needs do everyone a favor and kill Peter already. Between Slott/Bendis/Zdarsky Pete is nothing more than a shell of what he was. It would be a fucking mercy killing that would please EVERYONE at Marvel. Brevoort would have his shock value and get those sales for everyone hate reading the issue. Slott would be the guy who would worked on Spiderman last so no one can retcon his shit and Bendis would get Miles as the main 616 Spiderman.

Don't get me wrong, I love Spiderman. I just hate what he has become. And to see Miles with a better move set (venom blast) and almost as strong as Peter just makes me depressed.

I mean look at his fucking Defenders. He is going full on synergy with the Netflix shit. Bringing back male Diamondback, bringing in Blackcat for some reason, and having heroes like Blade pop up for no reason whatsoever. Blade is literally there for one page and delivers 2 lines. Then he just walks away.
>>
>>94231475
You can still do depressed quill and movie quill, you just can't do it like it was done.
>>
>>94231366
And it's not like he was doing this to spite Brubaker. Brubaker is his friend, Bendis brought him to Marvel. I doubt Brubaker was at all offended by the shots at Bucky-Cap. It's just that dumping on characters who aren't A-list is the only way Bendis knows how to write. It's not personal.

Scarlet Witch fans sometimes wonder if Bendis is upset that she made it into the MCU and got somewhat popular again despite his efforts. I think he's not upset in the least. He doesn't hate characters or their fans, he just thinks shitting on them is good writing.
>>
>>94230467
>What's worse is he pats himself on the back for being able to write minorities.
He counts himself as a minority because he's Jewish.

He's full on the SJW bandwagon but if you go back and read his older stuff (and it's too bad that the Jinxworld forums got nixed because they had a lot of dirt on Bendis) it's hilariously anti-SJW and reeks of fratboy mentality. Like when he called Wonder Woman a Walking STD farm and said Jessica Drew was better because of her Cho implants, or when he got into an online forum fight with Simone for saying Marvel Comics felt like a boy's club (he's very sensitive when other comic creators criticize Marvel).

Also that whole Cat Beast thing was hilarious, I didn't like Cat Beast myself but holy shit I give Morrison kudos for inadvertently triggering Bendis because he did not shut up about it in his forums and I guess he was so autistic about it because Hickman jokingly picked on him about it.
>>
File: bomber 2.jpg (504KB, 998x1600px) Image search: [Google]
bomber 2.jpg
504KB, 998x1600px
>>94230467
I like to think that this was a dig at Bendis with "colored people time"
>>
>>94231452
I wouldn't use those words but yeah, pretty much.

>>94231461
Joss did that to the character of the Punisher, he didn't just ruined his Runaways story just because Punisher appeared in the beginning (Bendis does this as well of course like I acknowledge before, has nothing to do with hating fans). Morrison ruined the last part of his run, not because he wanted people to hate him, but in an act of rebellion against the eternal Status quo that Jemas wanted to enforse by rejecting his wild ideas.

It's farfetched to think a writer would deliberately do bad things to sell. One thing is pissing fans off, another completely different is to write bad stories and still hoping they will sell. No one does that. Bendis, in all his arrogance, believes his stories are good. Not even when recalling stories like House of M or Dissassembled he goes out to say he wanted to do a bad story, he still defends those ones. If you ask him about any story he did on a convention, he will defend it. If you ask Morrison about the last part of New X-Men, I'm sure he'll trash it. If you ask Whedon about Punisher, he will trash the carácter. In the end is a matter of Bendis perspective of the story against yours.
>>
>>94231712
>Morrison ruined the last part of his run, not because he wanted people to hate him, but in an act of rebellion against the eternal Status quo that Jemas wanted to enforse by rejecting his wild ideas.
He was cited as saying he did it to piss off X-men fans because he hates them. Go look it up. It went AGAINST breaking status quo since it made Magento a bad guy again, and went against issues of set up.

>it's farfetched to think a writer would do bad things to sell
Have you seriously not seen Marvel's pr guy outright stating on twitter that this is Marvel's marketting strategy? That outrage sells? Can somebody post it? I didn't think I'd need to save that or the Morrison image.
>>
>>94231544
depressed quill and movie quill don't really mesh well, you can't have quill brooding and being all depressive in one comic and then have him talking about music romance and dancing all of a sudden in the next one
>>
>>94228260
I think he hated the character more than anything, Bendis likes Johns. They used to get together for lunch and before Quesada pissed off DC Bendis and Johns had panels together at SDCC.

>>94230617
Johns started working for Donner before he worked for Marvel and DC so he has knowledge of how Hollywood works and script writing. Bendis is a "self taught in writing" (his words) who took a few journalism classes and it fucking shows.

>>94228393
This, he's not writing any character that I care about right now and I hope it stays that way for the foreseeable future.

But he also said that it was his goal to write every major Marvel title so if you love Thor, Captain America, Punisher or any popular or A-list title that he hasn't touched before then you better prepare yourself.
>>
>>94231627
Speaking of Jewish

>Kitty and Colossus once had a long relationship

>makes Colossus gay in Ultimate universe

>Kitty once dated Iceman

>Makes Iceman gay
>>
>>94231627
Damn, it looks like he finally deleted those tweets about Wonder Woman after having them up for eight years. Someone must have noticed and he must have deleted them with the hype for the movie rising.
>>
>>94231712
Fundamentally it boggles me because I'm like, who becomes a comic creator with the intention of trashing other peoples' stuff? Like if Joss Whedon hates the Punisher he could have just not used him at all. Like you get into the extraordinary position of adding to one of these decades-old fictional universes and you want to poop on some part of it? Makes no sense to me. There's stuff I think is stupid, like Rogue getting with Magneto, but how petty would I be if I had Rogue be like "haha like I would ever get with a gross old genocidal maniac like you, I am saying now and forever I, Rogue, totally hate you, Magneto," it's like if you hate it just leave it alone is that so hard
>>
>>94231855
>peter quill dated kitty
>>
>>94231894
This is what people do in fanfiction (which, lets face it is what comics today are), it's where you feel the need to call out things you don't like about a universe just to make yourself feel smarter. Like, a lot of people who read Harry Potter hate Ron for one reason or another (mostly crazy Harry/Hermionie fans) now do they ignore him? Do they just get rid of him? No, they feel the need to humiliate him, twist his character into something horrible. It's simply petty revenge for being something they dislike.
>>
>>94231570
I don't think he did it to spite Bru either but I'm sure he just didn't find Bucky exciting or thought he was lame.

But now that he liked the Winter Soldier movie he might even change the way he writes the character if he ever writes him again.

The only character that Bendis has expressed public disdain for, that I know of, is Snaper Carr

http://brianmichaelbendis.tumblr.com/post/159349611397/favorite-dc-character
>>
>>94231810
Putting him on Fantastic Four if they ever are allowed to revive it seems inevitable.

I actually think he'd be good at it at first because the "street-level" aspect of FF (in that it was one of the first superhero comics to have the characters doing everyday New York stuff) often gets forgotten.

I said "at first," because even if he starts off well it will all fall apart around issue # 7. There aren't a lot of comics where he was terrible from issue 1.
>>
>>94231763
This is what Morrison said about Planet X:

>“The ‘Planet X’ story,” Morrison said later, “was partially intended as a comment on the exhausted, circular nature of the X-Men’s ever-popular battle with Magneto and by extension, the equally cyclical nature of superhero franchise re-inventions. I ended the book exactly where I came on board. . . . ‘Planet X’ is steeped in an exhausted, world-weary, ‘middle-aged’ ennui that spoke directly of both my own and Magneto’s frustrations, disillusionment and disconnection, as well as the endless everything-is-notenough frustrations of a certain segment of comics’ aging readership."

As you can see he alludes the readership more from a point of frustration with them, as they refuse to accept change. This, of course, was mainly directed at Jemas, but it also can be interpreted as him attacking that part of the readership who doesn't like change. At no point he says he hates the fans and he ruined everything because he hates them. That's ridiculous.

Are you talking about Brevoort on Tumblr? If not I didn't see it. But in any case, it doesn't really matter. Because, like I said: believing outrage sells =/= writing a bad story just for the outrage. Bucky returning and becoming the Winter Soldier caused an outrage. Gwen Stacy dying caused an outrage. Are those bad stories? No.
>>
>>94231988
The fanfiction comparison aside that's just bad writing period, like how fucking petty you need to be to shit on a character that pissed you off one time just because you can? He's supposed to be a professional for gods sake.
>>
>>94229671
He can often make an interesting pitch for a run in publicity and interview, and it's always worth going back and reading what he said he was trying to accomplish because HE NEVER DOES IT. He gets stuck on some thing and wastes issues dealing with it, and loses sight of the original goal, then wraps everything up in a half-assed way and declares victory.
>>
>>94231960
But this one was Bendis approved so of course Quill is bulletproofed
>>
File: 1463371365091.jpg (218KB, 1078x780px) Image search: [Google]
1463371365091.jpg
218KB, 1078x780px
>>94229924
>>
>>94232036
I actually want him on FF tho.

But hear me out first, Marvel is shit even if it isn't Bendis I wouldn't expect a good FF book, but having one would mean that Marvel has lifted the stupid ban and that FF/related characters can finally appear in games and merchandise.
>>
>>94232067
More like Quill is Bendisproof because he's an MCU darling.
>>
>>94232089
kek It's way more likely Bendis just doesn't give a shit about Wanda so he went all balls with her in disassembled rather than actual hate.
I bet he was legitimately surprised so many people starting hating him for that since for him anyone who's not his favourite or an A+ character is basically cannon fodder.
>>
>>94232056
It's the need to "correct" things. Sometimes this can be a good thing, like when the character's been in the doldrums for years and a new direction or going back to the old one works.

But then you have....well basically where Spider-man was for years. Where trying to "correct" things led to just more complications. One More Day was not attempt 1 to get rid of MJ by a long shot. And I assume the same thing happened with the X-men (what with them being reduced in House of M because there were "too many to be a minority".) and I'm sure there's examples for other characters too. They don't see bashing characters they don't like as something wrong because to them that's the right way to do it and they see it as the right direction for the universe.
>>
>>94229956
He's defensive to such a degree even when corrected alongside a tonguebath of praise when he fucks up factual content that it comes across really, really badly.
>>
>>94232200
I can't find it right now but he had some pleading that he also put Daredevil through the wringer, and Ultimate Peter Parker. The difference is, of course, that all of those stories were actually about them and they were the center of them. He just used Wanda as a brute plot device and shit on her in such a way that she was unusable for a decade, which isn't close to the same thing.
>>
>>94232043
Haha okay, I was confused because when people talk about "the end of Morrison's run" I assume they mean Here Comes Tomorrow not Planet X. But I guess Planet X was where some fans stopped reading.

I thought Planet X was great and I'm actually a fan of the idea of Magneto being redeemed.
>>
File: VaKFwdq.gif (1MB, 599x395px) Image search: [Google]
VaKFwdq.gif
1MB, 599x395px
>>94229161
Bendis shouldn't be allowed anywhere near Strange. Every fucking time he shows up in a Bendis book it gets fucking worse. I thought that "catastrophe magic" shit was the garbage David Quinn wrote in the 90's, though I could be wrong. (Don't read that shit to find out, it's pretty fucking bad even if that's not where that particularly stupid element is from)

There's a temptation to just let doc do some deus ex machina shit. That's fucking retarded. That's how you make people hate the character involved, and Bendis does it fucking constantly. He seems to think that's what magic is for cause he does it with fucking Wanda too. It exists to hand wave his shitty writing away.

Of course, with Bendis, the other option is knocking Strange on his ass to make way for the superior negroid magician. That arc was fucking heinous. Doc fucks up with that whole Zom thing during World War Hulk, and of course there's some backlash. The writing fuck up Bendis did is forgetting the kind of lengths Strange goes to to keep his own fuckups from threatening the rest of the rest of the universe. Doc's lost the mantle before, he played dead to the world for a couple months instead of dragging anyone else out to clean up after him. I don't know if they wouldn't just let him kill Strange off or something but it seems like it's the only way this story would have actually worked. If it's so simple as just getting the Vishanti to back someone else, why are all these forces trying to kill a guy who's literally so stubborn that Death has stopped trying to pick him off?

The ultimate kick in the dick is, okay, Brother Voodoo's now sorcerer supreme...to what? Bendis couldn't be fucked to have Voodoo actually do anything with his newfound power except show up with the eye and cloak a couple times until (presumably) editorial made him put the toys back how he found them at the end of his arc.

Oh, then there's "Awesome Facial Hair Bros"...Christ.
>>
>>94232216
Yeah, but that goes for Marvel in general when they're trying to make their product more casual-friendly by boldly getting rid of continuity, the same happened back in the 90s with Heroes Reborn.

Bendis straight up kills characters out of spite because he doesn't like them, the most obvious example being Scott Lang.
>>
>>94226607
I was going to write a long diatribe explaining my hate for him but others have covered it here far more succinctly than I could have.

So I'm just going to call him a bald cunt.
A
Baldy.
Cunt.
>>
File: immovable3.jpg (1MB, 1200x1845px) Image search: [Google]
immovable3.jpg
1MB, 1200x1845px
>>94232313
>>
>>94231894
>but how petty would I be if I had Rogue be like "haha like I would ever get with a gross old genocidal maniac like you, I am saying now and forever I, Rogue, totally hate you, Magneto," it's like if you hate it just leave it alone is that so hard
This is pretty much the norm with old pairings nowadays. Take any old pairing and there's a chance a writer has shat on it at some point. The biggest and funniest (and convinient since this is a Bendis thread) example of this is Kitty Pryde. You can see how every writer craps on the previous relationship she had almost inmediately. First you have Claremont with Colossus, then Shooter took the first opportunity to crap on him with Secret Wars. Then Claremont tries again with Allistaire Stuart and when Ellis comes, he boots Stuart out of the book, then the writer of Kitty Pryde in SHIELD inmediately craps on Wisdom, then the next writer of Excalibur craps on Wisdom a few issues after Ellis is gone, then Whedon and Claremont craps on Wisdom a bit more, then Gillen comes and craps on Colossus again, then Aaron craps on Colossus bad. Next Bendis takes a massive crap on Iceman and some on Colossus, after Bendis is gone, Guggenheim and the Iceman writer almost inmediately craps on Quill. It's like the cycle of waifufagging that never ends.
>>
>>94231988
If I ever got a job at Marvel, my revenge would be writing Miles as a good character and dropping the Spiderman part of him entirely. What better victory than to write a character better than the creator and hopefully incite a tantrum?
>>
File: immovable4.jpg (642KB, 1200x1845px) Image search: [Google]
immovable4.jpg
642KB, 1200x1845px
>>94232358
>>
>>94232155
Even without the MCU why would Bendis gay his own Kitty ship?
>>
Editors won't touch him. He sucks at continuity. He ignores character history and personality. He just makes up his own and fills it with WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WALL OF WORDS.

He is good when theres NO EXISTING HISTORY: IE: Ultimate Marvel.
He was good picking up on old stories and remaking them, but then again thats basically plagiarism anyway.

Hes a hack, I'm tired of him now.
>>
>>94232261
I sometimes wonder if Brian was being delusional and thought he actually was doing Wanda a favour by giving the character, what he thought, would be their defining moment and marking a parallel to what Claremont did in Dark Phoenix with the whole >heroine is too powerful and fucks with the heroes also does a lot of bad shit. But then I remember it's Bendis so killing characters left and right because that sells is more likely.
>>
>>94226912
I actually like Daisy Johnson
>>
>>94232359
Kitty really does suffer from being everybody's favorite, huh?
>>
>>94232348
UNCLE FESTER LOOKING MOTHERFUCKER
>>
>>94232399
cause Bendis.
>>
>>94232408
>He is good when theres NO EXISTING HISTORY: IE: Ultimate Marvel.
Even then he fails, because his original characters tend to ape things from older characters. Like how Riri
s, and Miles character is mostly just being so much better than the original. Has he ever made an original marvel hero tha'ts not tied to anyone or anything?
>>
>>94232261
http://brianmichaelbendis.tumblr.com/post/74283194494/would-you-ever-consider-the-challenge-of

>I know there is terrible misogynist writing in the world, and writers do tend to take characters they love and put them through the dramatic wringer. I know sometimes it’s hard to see the difference.

>just look how I treated Matt Murdock and Peter Parker. I KILLED one of those guys. I just think that BOTH male and female characters demand and deserve as complicated and intricate story as we can come up with.

>I love the character and her entire history. some people think that I invented all of that bad stuff that happened to her but it was following her published history that led me to the house of M story in the first place.

So of course what he proceeds to post are some out of context John Byrne pages being Byrne at his worst right before he left WCA.
>>
>>94232520
No, he actually was quite good back when the Ultimate universe started. Many people regard Ultimate Spider-Man as one of the best books of the character even.

Though he fucked that up too when he unkilled Peter and all that shit.
>>
>>94232541
>I KILLED one of those guys
And then this happened >>94227326

Fucking hack.
>>
>>94231676
it's layered because while your interpretation's not wrong, this was an actual character DC briefly thought could work.
>>
File: tumblr_nc1yb0P1zT1tmnp0lo1_540.png (399KB, 519x403px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nc1yb0P1zT1tmnp0lo1_540.png
399KB, 519x403px
>>94231475
>>94231764

They didn't even do movie Quill in the comics they did a Manchild poor version of movie Quill.

And I feel you could make DnA Quill into Movie Quill but with SOME exceptions, I mean DnA Quill was already goofy and acted like an idiot to divert people's attention even Thanos noticed it. Also both DnA and Movie Quill hide pain behind their more upbeat personalities the only difference is that DnA Quill was more sarcastic and got upset more easily due to all the baggage and guilt he carried.

>music romance and dancing all of a sudden in the next one

I wouldn't put the music because it doesn't make sense and I think even Duggan blows it out of proportion. The music was only important to Quill because of his mother and by vol 2 it was mostly others listening to it (Peter didn't even think it was smart to try to set up music while fighting the Abylisk or whatever it's called). IIRC he only mentions liking music once in DnA's run but it's not that important to him.

As for romance, the original Star-Lord was a romantic (well he starts out as an asshole with a single goal then ends up being as romantic) but after what happened with he Fallen One Peter lost all of that and became a brooding guilt ridden guy with depression. In DnA's run he recuperates a bit of his old self.

There's also pic related, the guy did flirt but he just wasn't a rampant flirt and he certainly did recognize a pretty woman when he saw one since in Annihilation he talks about Gamora being a hottie in two occasions and he tries to flirt with Phyla (doesn't work obviously). He didn't brood and angst 24/7

>>94231859
He deleted them after someone in Reddit brought it up in a thread in /r/comicbooks and said person got a lot of replies with people being upset or surprised about it.

But there are still evidence that he did it, a guy made a youtube video about it that's still on youtube and if you google "Walking STD Farm" with Wonder Woman you'll find people talking about it.
>>
>>94232552
He was good with Ult Peter, let's be honest, because he had huge amounts of pre-existing material to re-write and decompress and update to a modern style. All the actual hard work had already been done for him.
>>
>>94228169
>Bendis could get a paycheck each time he appears.
THIS.
This is what people dont get about why Bendis does what does.
>>
>>94232587
He did?
Devalued it like that?
Probably an attempt to make miles more "real" than peter by comparison...

What a sack of shit.
Big bald uncle fester looking sack of shit.
>>
>>94227767

I liked his run on Daredevil :(
>>
>>94232552
>No, he actually was quite good back when the Ultimate universe started. Many people regard Ultimate Spider-Man as one of the best books of the character even.
Yeah, it takes effort to be good when you're whoelsale ripping off tons of established stories and ideas and editing it. Come the fuck on.
>>
>>94231960
I can see why Rich has been avoiding a reunion then.

>>94232067
More like he didn't care especially since the relationship not lasting was a thing from the beginning.

>>94232155
This is pretty much the correct answer, Peter Quill can't be gay now that he's popular.

>>94232399
It was Humphries' ship and Bendis went with it because he thought it was cute and it gave him and excuse to bring Kitty to Guardians after he was dropping X-Men.

Then he worked to push Peter to the side and put Kitty as Star-Lord (but I guess it didn't take for some reason because Kitty lasted like one arc as Star-Lord).

Then Humphries engaged them and broke them up, Bendis ignored all of that and just had Peter and Kitty go from suddenly engaged to suddenly not together anymore.
>>
>>94232552
>Though he fucked that up too when he unkilled Peter and all that shit.
No. Bendis didn't just fuck up by bringing Ultimate Peter back, he fucked up by killing Peter off in the first place. Up until that point, his promise was clear, 100 issues for each new year of Peter's life. He got past 100, and then when he seemed to be losing steam and caught some Donald Glover fever, he killed Peter off to replace him with an OC.

Whether or not you thought Peter's send off was respectful to the character is irrelevant. Bendis established Peter as a beacon of hope for the Ultimate universe. One of the only characters in the whole line of books that wasn't a complete jackass. He survived the Ultimatum attack that wiped out an easy 80% of all the usable characters in the Ultimate U. And for what? What were all those years of buildup for? All the triumphs and losses, all the experiences? It was all so we could have Miles come in? Fuck that.
>>
>>94232674
>>94232808
Well, current MCU synergy is more or less that so...
>>
>>94232520
True.

He has no ability to follow continuity. He writes himself into crap corners often
>>
>>94232774
I'd like him run over by a car.
>>
>>94232674
Yup he just slapped some fresh paint on an existing idea built over decades of history
>>
>>94232841
No, that doesn't handwave your argument as right. Nobody praises the screenwrites for adapting the comics to the screen. If anything they pan them for not being faithful enough. When it's good we say "it's a good adaption".

Bendis is barely adapting something, he's just editing what's already there. There's no larger scale to consider, he's just writing a condensed fanfiction of things already written and people are praising him as a once good writer.
>>
>>94232663
i was talking about that anons pitch actually, not DnA's Quill, but if you ask me, movie quill wasn't a man slut aside from his mentioned backstory, so it didn't make sense he suddenly became one in the comics, it's one of the few things I believe they did right in the comics
>>
>>94232907
And everyone realizes that there's going to be a lot lost and changed in adapting comics characters and sprawling stories into a movie format. Bendis got to mine comics for comics, a much more one-to-one easy thing, and expand a single-issue Lee/Ditko story and blow it into a five-issue arc.
>>
>>94232819
Bendis had them together til the very end of his run, even ignoring X-Men Gold. I find it hard to believe he just 'went with it'
>>
>>94232948
That still doesn't make him a good writer, or validate anything you've said. It's not at all hard to refine someone else's work, this is shit you learn to do in grade school. It's like writing a cliffnotes of the hobbit and praising the guy who abridged it instead of J.R.R. Tolkien.

It's not even in the same realm as screenplay adaption, which has to account for actors, special effects, story boarding, and much more.
>>
>>94230617
Has Bendis even tried to move away from Marvel I know it's basically his cash cow but at any point did he try to move in another company or is he stuck in Marvel forever
>>
>>94232929
>reminder there's a high possibility movie peter lost his virginity to a robo-whore
>>
>>94233068
I don't think he ever did. But then again why would he want to leave the company where he's King and can do and undo as he pleases?
>>
>>94233068
No, and he most likely never will, he holds too much power at Marvel and is also regarded as one of their "stars", and as we all know he's a lazy fuck and changing companies/industries would mean having to try again so I don't think that's on his head.
>>
>>94232359
>>94232471
Kitty Pryde was every writer's first crush when they were kids and for that reason a lot of her stories involve her pinning for a guy or being romance oriented.

If you want to stick it to those waifufags I suggested becoming the EiC in Marvel and make an editorial mandate to make Kitty Pryde gay (or wait for the eventual SJW EiC and be a writer who pitches it to them). Have a non-Kittyfag do it (like Kelly, he definitely doesn't waifu her) and make a inspirational speech to Entertainment Weekly or Hollywood Reporter about LGBT representation and whatever and dedicate Kitty's coming out story to her actress Ellen Page (who is also gay).

Alternatively just campaign for a "Make Kitty Pryde gay" maybe nothing will happen but it will get the attention of people like the Give Cap a boyfriend thing did, but you can make it more legitimate by invoking Ellen Page.

The only downside is that you'll give the dumb Kitty x Magik and Kitty x Rachel autists a win but you will piss off and butthurt half of comic writers including Bendis, Whedon, Byrne,and Aaron and they can't do anything about it.

Anyway it's just a thought.
>>
>>94233034
I'm agreeing with you--Bendis gets a better reputation and far more credit than he deserves for USM.
>>
>>94227247
Ultimate Spider-man
that basicly spawned the ''peter should always be in high school'' meme
>>
Alright lads, how do we get rid of Bendis?
>>
>>94233201
Bendis has power even over the EiC so I doubt it'll help.
>>
>>94232358
Why the fuck is Strange holding the Wand of Watoomb? That thing was destroyed at the end of the issue.
>>
>>94232541
I think someone pointed out that a lot of Bendis's understanding of a lot of characters is formed by John Byrne and especially John Byrne's West Coast Avengers.

A lot of fans who didn't normally read Avengers comics jumped on when Byrne did WCA, and jumped right off when he left. So it makes sense that that run defined not only Wanda, but Tigra and Wonder Man and Wasp as far as Bendis is concerned.
>>
>>94233353
It's often easy to figure out which comics Bendis has read, because he goes back to them again and again. That Camelot Tony Stark story with Doom in it is a real favorite.
>>
>>94232986
Pretty sure X-Men Gold is post CWII

By the time grounded happened they weren't together anymore, the point of that is that the Guardians were a splintered team and all of those were solo issues and Kitty wasn't that much in them until the end were she says goodbye to Peter and is all "Sorry it didn't work out but I'll always care for you"

And he even mentioned himself that Kitty and Peter was Humphries' idea and not his.

Which is why all the important Peter/Kitty stuff happened in Humphries' run. Bendis didn't bother addressing how they got together, how they got engaged, he just had them be harmlessly cute with each other and that's it. Compare it to how he writes a couple that he actually cares for like Luke and Jessica, he dedicates time to Cage and Jones and hasn't let anyone break them up (he even admitted to wanting for Luke to join the Guardians but that he couldn't separate him from Jessica Jones and Dani Cage).
>>
>>94228292
the comedic delivery of this could have been saved by having the beat panel after the "you're gay" as well as an open mouth when bobby is speaking to not be completely fucking lazy.

other than the ITS TRIPE
>>
>>94233320
>>94233308
>Bendis has power even over the EiC so I doubt it'll help.

Take down Quesada and everything crumbles, Buckley, Brevoort, and Alonso have power because of him.

Just tell Ike that Bendis is costing him money or something.

If not a heart attack or diabetes will eventually get him, speed up the process by offering him sweets and greasy food at cons.
>>
>>94233467
So we kill Quesada instead?
>>
>>94233308
Put him in a one-on-one jew battle against Stan Lee.
>>
>>94233539
>Stan Lee saps the lifeforce from him in front an audience
>His secret is out
>>
>>94233577
>Steve Ditko finally comes out of the shadows for the last grand battle
>>
>>94233201
>Have Kelly pitch it
>They like it
>They put Kelly on the book
>becomes so well written and interesting it's a best seller
>this creates more Kitty-fags

I see right through your ruse Bendis.
>>
>>94233762
Fine then!

Drop the nukes and put Gabby Rivera in charge.
>>
File: Capture+_2017-07-28-21-57-00.png (124KB, 480x784px) Image search: [Google]
Capture+_2017-07-28-21-57-00.png
124KB, 480x784px
>>94233201
GENTLEMEN...BEHOLD!

We just found an excuse to troll this guy.
>>
>>94233329
doom brought another one back from battleworld and had tony bring it to doc for some reason

I wish I was fucking kidding.
>>
How many times has Bendis been called out for ignoring continuity?
>>
>>94233395
Bendis has already separated Luke and Jessica so...

And no, the last issue of Bendis Guardians happens post the first issues of Gold. And she was still trying to convince herself to go to space to be with him in that issue. That was what her conversation with the Thing was about.
>>
>>94227333
>not liking agent venom
>>
>>94227864
>Miles' actually fun
How? He's fucking boring. He's always been fucking boring.
>>
>>94228099
Getting shot in the hand is better than getting shot in the dick. That doesn't make either pleasant.

Bendis had the chance to have a Spiderman successor and instead of doing anything interesting he just painted Peter black.
>>
>>94230213
so he has dbzitis
>>
>>94235175
>Bendis has already separated Luke and Jessica so...

No he didn't, they are still together, they just had a rough patch but discussed everything while in bed.

That said I don't remember and I really don't want to look at bendis GotG again but was she wearing her X-Men Gold outfit?

Either way they were done by then and Kitty stayed behind and even told Peter goodbye and everything. Then an issue after in X-Men Gold she swore off Peters and the Chip Star-Lord mini she pretty much told Peter off so they're done.

Bendis had the power to keep them together but he dind't because Kitty being in GotG only served for him to write her more than having her and Peter Quill as a couple.
>>
>>94230779
Don't forget, they also ignored black Iron Man's equally black niece, who was young, black, female and already established as being a proficient engineer. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Bendis doesn't even know she exists; he certainly doesn't care that she does.
>>
>>94229862

(U)

I bet, faggot
>>
File: Brevoort - then vs now.png (465KB, 1209x688px) Image search: [Google]
Brevoort - then vs now.png
465KB, 1209x688px
>>94231763
>Can somebody post it?
>>
I hate Bendis because he's the movie producer of comics.

>>We need to make Avengers cool! Get rid of all these lame characters like Hawkeye and Ant-Man! Put in Wolverine and Spider-Man!
>>What? People like Hawkeye? Well let's make him a ninja! Ninjas are cooler than Archers!
>>Pfft! Look at all these lame ass characters! Alpha Flight? Tigra? Pfft!
>>But my character Goldballs? Now there's a joke that's going to stick with people! "GOLDBALLS!" *Poink!* See? Hilarious!
>>What's the movies doing next? I need to stay with the times!
>>Oh hey! A petition to get Donald Glover to be Spider-Man? I can work with this!
>>Who has time to research when people buy my comics no matter what? Hidden Figures is a popular movie? I'll reference that with Riri Williams for Race Cred!

And so on. This is a gamer bro who took over comics.
>>
>>94231627
What's even funnier if you read his Luke Cage from Jessica Jones. That's straight up racism!
"Whatchu doing around here? Fuck off! Man, what's wrong whitchu?"
>>
>>94230876
>>94230954

How reddit of you
>>
Here's the Bendis cycle.
>>New book announced
>>First issue won't even get to the premise til the last issue.
>>Second issue is they talk it out, CLIFFHANGER
>>Cliffhanger wasn't as big, more talking, CLIFFHANGER
>>Fight issue
>>Issue where they talk out some more, HYPE FOR THE LAST ISSUE.
>>You already bought this much, so you get an anti-climax that promises the next story will be bigger

Rinse and repeat.
>>
File: 1501116420244.jpg (938KB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
1501116420244.jpg
938KB, 1988x3056px
my only problem with him is that he ended Kitty and Peter in such a shitty way that it reminded my of my own high school breakup

and that he didnt make them a thing in 616. use your powers for good.

>>94237107
say what you want about him but I geniuenly loved his New Avengers members. even if it was bad i loved it as a kid
>>
I think the core of Bendis' book is that all his heroes are egotistical. They always say how they are better than other heroes, or treat another hero like shit. Even his Captain America at that one point when Quake asks to join the Avengers goes "we're not looking for new members" for he "Oh...this is awkward" response.

They'll shit on D-Man, Alpha Flight, Captain Britain, anyone to make them seem lame. Hell, Spider-Man too. It's like his heroes are always in a competition to say "Yeah, we're the COOL heroes, the other heroes are fucking lame". Like, he can't write a genuinely nice person without them being mentally damaged or an a psycho killer. Like, take CWII. That one innocent woman that Carol Danvers threw in jail? Well now she wants revenge and even wants to kill the Champions!

That's the core of Bendis' writing! Everyone is a self centered asshole and he plays it off for laughs to make you think they're all joking around with it, when it really makes them all look like shitty people when you take a step back.
>>
>>94237422
Yeah. I can say I unreservedly loved his New Avengers when I was a teenager. Even then I thought his Wolverine sucked, but for the most part it was characters I wasn't familiar with and it was snarky and funny and easy to follow along with.

The problem really is he's been writing the same comic for over 10 years at this point. It's not funny anymore.
>>
>>94231960
I would normally wonder if that was just to add another Peter to Kitty's notch-post, but that would imply Bendis acknowledged continuity so it's probably just a coincidence.
>>
>>94231676
what did I just read.
>>
File: Hela kills the Bendis universe.png (40KB, 1253x376px) Image search: [Google]
Hela kills the Bendis universe.png
40KB, 1253x376px
Something from the spiderman storytime. Because the best way to kill a waifubaiter, is by another man's waifu.
>>
>>94233201
>make an editorial mandate to make Kitty Pryde gay
I know it's you, Claremont. You aren't fooling anyone.
>>
>>94237900
>venom shot not being effective
Now I know this is fanfiction.
>>
>>94237521
Wait. Isn't this like that one comic he did about the psychic guy?
>>
>>94232313
>Every fucking time he shows up in a Bendis book it gets fucking worse.

Wait, how much worse did it get? I saw "MY CLOAK CAN'T WORK UNDER THESE CONDITIONS" and figured I was done giving Bendis a chance with 616 Strange. Seeing Strange getting beat by Storm in Civil War II made me realize I made the right decision.
>>
>>94231855
>>makes Colossus gay in Ultimate universe

That wasn't Bendis. That was Millar.
>>
>>94231676
I don't think McDuffie has ever said it was Bendis, but I think he'd be aware of Bendis' fondness for Luke Cage, though, which McDuffie doesn't really share (If you read Icon, McDuffie takes a jab at Luke Cage with parody character Buck Wild.)
>>
File: BENDIS A THIN.png (625KB, 603x576px) Image search: [Google]
BENDIS A THIN.png
625KB, 603x576px
>>94233467
Bendis lost weight, but looks like shit.
>>
>>94236885
>wah I got called out for being a Bendis shill
>better call him a faggot! THAT'LL SHOW EM
Congratulations, your prize for being such a huge bitch is under your sink! Just make sure you drink it all.
>>
>>94240317
He legitimately looked like Wilson Fisk. What the fuck.
>>
>>94240317
the power of baldness
>>
>>94230431
>It's not that he hates the audience, it's more that he truly believes a good story shouldn't be tied by continuity or anything really. I'm pretty sure that 90% of the time his continuity errors are completely accidental, mainly because he does no research at all. However his pride at the act after fans let him know about the mistake, comes from the fact he truly believes his story is a good one. Like, he prides on the fact that he could write a good story without the need of continuity, validating his beliefs in the process. Of course, 8 times out of 10 his story is dogshit.

In theory that's not a bad idea. Miller ignored that Alfred was never the Wayne Family butler for DKR and Year One. But you have to contribute something in order to justify ignoring continuity. Miller brought forth the idea of Alfred as having always been a father figure to Bruce and it actually added something more to Batman's backstory. I don't feel like Bendis' ignorance of continuity actually added anything that signficant for the reason you said.
>>
>>94233256
You're an idiot if you really think this is the worst thing he's ever done.
>>
>>94227247
As someone else said, resurrecting Peter. I actually championed Bendis back then, because I had only read Ultimate Spidey, Daredevil, and the beginnings of his X-Men stuff (which was actually pretty solid for like two arcs), and I got pissed when anyone said he sucked. I had heard and read about some stuff that made me wonder, but I hadn't realized just how shit he'd became until this moment. I don't think it tarnished the series, as a whole, but it definitely didn't feel good to someone who's obsessively been collecting it for the past 5 years.

Of course, then he went and took a shit on the whole universe with Ultimate End, which is 100000x worse than anything he's ever written.
>>
>>94240591
>Of course, then he went and took a shit on the whole universe with Ultimate End, which is 100000x worse than anything he's ever written.

I'm really hesitant to say that's the worst. I mean sure, it was a fucking terrible end to the Ultimate universe, but on the other hand, I think once Hickman left Ultimates that was already a sign of the beginning of the end for the whole line, and even before that the only comic that was at least consistent was Bendis' USM. Bendis' other side stories like Ultimate Origins or that one where Reed went evil or whatever really weren't worth reading, no matter how many people were talking about how you needed to read it before reading Hickman's Ultimates.

But then again to me Avengers Disassmbled was terrible AND wrecked the Avengers in a bad way, with his Age of Ultron tied with Disassembled for the worst of the Avengers comics he's done. And Civil War 2 was the worst event he's ever written.
>>
>>94236512
That's because RiRi is based on his back adoptive daughter. She's a gift to her. "DADDY MADE ME A SUPERHERO!"
>>
>>94230814
>>94230715
This is what really pissed me off about Civil War II and his attempt to build up Riri as Tony's replacement. How am I supposed to believe he's really sincere about his new character when 1. He's barely put even the minimum effort into developing his new character before she replaces the main character and 2. he killed off the longtime supporting character (who had more development than his new character before replacing the main character) who also happened to be black?
>>
>>94240796
>the only comic that was at least consistent was Bendis' USM
Not true. Brian Wood's Ultimate X-Men is solid as fuck and Fialkov came in to salvage what was left of Ultimates for an arc, then did the Hunger mini-series (Cataclysm prelude), which were both also solid as fuck. USM is honestly good all the way to the end, it's just that the return of Peter is retarded.

>Bendis' other side stories
Ultimate Origins was awesome, and almost everything else he did in the Ultimate U was good too. His Ultimate X-Men was almost as good as Millar's and his team-up with Millar on the first F4 arc was legendary.
Doomsday however (the initial evil Reed story) isn't bad, but is definitely boring and pointless.

>But then again to me Avengers Disassmbled was terrible AND wrecked the Avengers in a bad way
You might be right about that second point, but you're wrong about Disassembled being bad. It's a fine story on it's own, and honestly, the reset of the Avengers line was refreshing.
>>
>>94241160
>but you're wrong about Disassembled being bad. It's a fine story on it's own, and honestly, the reset of the Avengers line was refreshing.

I gave it a reread along with his New Avengers stuff. Disassembled was still awful though his early New Avengers seemed competently done despite the problems I have with it, and held up a little better than I thought it would (I hated his New Avengers a lot more back then). I still wouldn't call Disassembled a fine story on any level. I sort of get the appeal because it is such a drastic change for the Avengers, so if you're not used to the characters it feels new and fresh. But a story in which characters do stupid things and a central character goes crazy on a flimsy reason and the whole thing ends up being resolved by someone who isn't an Avenger while the Avengers barely do anything is not on any level a fine story.

As for your assessment of the other Ultimate stuff, I'll just say I really can't agree with any of that except maybe for that one issue of Ultimate X-Men with Wolverine in the cave with that one mutant, and maybe his Ult F4 with Millar (but on that one I reread it and it didn't hold up well for me) so I'll leave it at that for now.
>>
remember with the big relaunch that invincible iron man was going to be their next big flagship
then sales dropped like crazy, he doesn't have the star power for sales
the thing that made him big was putting spider-man and wolverine on the same avengers team
>>
>>94241423
It was really his star power back then + Spider-Man & Wolverine on the same team + shake-ups, since >>94241160 is one of the many readers who thought Disassembled was good.
>>
>>94241376
>>94241450
To be fair, I've literally read one Avengers story pre-2000's, so it could very well be shit. It's been a while but I remember enjoying myself quite a bit though.
>>
>>94237521
>Everyone is a self centered asshole and he plays it off for laughs to make you think they're all joking around with it, when it really makes them all look like shitty people when you take a step back.
I was about to write this, but it's a good thing I read the whole thread. Seems all my maor gripes have been taken care of.

This is really my main problem... he thinks he's writing amsuing, funny dialogue, when in reality, he makes all characters sound smug, condescending and downright classists.

Not to mention, he makes every single villain that isn’t a cosmic menace or one of his creations, talks like a retard that has been huffing paint his entire life, so when a hero mocks thee
m, it seriously comes across as if they’re making fun of handicapped people.
>>
>>94241604
>Not to mention, he makes every single villain that isn’t a cosmic menace or one of his creations, talks like a retard that has been huffing paint his entire life,

You just reminded me of this.
>>
>>94226607
GOD. FUCKING. DAMN IT.
He's excellent at character work, excellent. But everything he writies (lately) is slow as fuck. I've been close to dropping Jessica Jones & Miles because nothing of inerest is happening.
One saving grace is Iron Doom, incredible concept and been consistently good (even though it struggles from pacing issues as well [and it's been cancelled fuck]).
Don't get me started on Civil War II jesus christ.

Thanks for the vent thread anon, you are a real human bean.
>>
>>94235497

He's not talking about Agent Venom anon
>>
>>94242092
>He's excellent at character work, excellent.
Haha, no.
>>
He'll just keep writing his pet characters + 1 vanity project till his retirement.
I'm surprised he's not taking over the doctor strange book for his tony stark is the sorcerer supreme idea yet.
>>
>>94240317
When is the image on the right from? He looks so tired and worn out
>>
>>94226607
His DD run was good. And Miles could be a better character if he didn't tried to force him everywhere, or if anyone else got it. But most of the time he uses Marvel's "remember our good old times" self fellatio tendence to ruin past events and make his look better, but they never are.

He'd be better if he tried, but he has a comfy, important position by being mediocre, so he'll never risk it.
>>
File: 1482940265257.png (2MB, 575x1331px) Image search: [Google]
1482940265257.png
2MB, 575x1331px
Adding to everything else that's already been said, I think the biggest problem Bendis has is crafting a solid outline for his books.

It's already been said that he likes to shake up things for the sake of changing things. Beyond that "game-changing" pitch, he doesn't seem to make plans for how to go about it. He might have some scenes mapped out in his head, but he doesn't know how to tie them or the characters together in a way that makes the story flow decently. The story just keeps going and going; people talk, maybe some action happens, and drama unfolds to hold interest.

If he is given only a limited amount of issues to write in, like Ultimate End or Guardians of Nowhere, his plotting just breaks down to reveal his raw awful writing habits.

Then when it comes time to write an ending for an arc or series, he pulls from his box of canned climaxes; which contains

>Instant win button (Venom Shock, Hacking)
>Punch the villain a bunch
>Off-screen victory
>Villain escapes. Buy the next issue to see what happens
> Buy the next series to see what happens

The man can't write an ending to save his life. That's why Miles' venom shock is broken: he can't think of clever ways for his characters to win fights. The instant win button is actually an instant ending button
>>
somebody show him this thread lol
>>
>>94245746
(Cont)
Speaking of, Bendis is terrible at writing decent motivations for villains. They're often unenjoyably cynical cliches shamed for the qualities that make them fun and over the top, rogues that we are told are a "big deal", but we're rarely - if ever- shown why or how they got where they are, or somebody who declares something to be "Against the natural order"...whatever the hell that means.

And almost all of them call people "Boy"

I don't think he's ever created and/or written a good villain in his entire career (Barring his Daredevil run, but only because I haven't read it)
>>
>>94242092
>He's excellent at character work
That's just a meme perpetuated by his reliance on Bendisspeak. Relatively new readers won't notice it, because it takes some years of exposure to identify. I know this from personal experience. When I started reading Ultimate Spider-Man back in the early 2000s, part if the charm for me was reading what I THOUGHT was realistic human speech. Bendis characters did more than simply stutter at each other, they actually had difficulty understanding each other at times, so things had to be repeated as they sometimes do in reality. That helped the characters feel more relatable to me, more endearing.

But it slowly dawned on me that essentially ALL characters written by Bendis began to sound the same in my head. I couldn't understand why that was until the concept of Bendisspeak became solidified for me. Eventually I could even see the formula Bendis commonly uses in all his works. At that point, all his previous work became unreadable to me. I could see his formula blatantly applied to nearly every line of dialogue, and it just became incredibly frustrating to me in how lazy it looked.
>>
Miles and Riri are basically their predecessors but with no discernible character flaw. (Unless you count being a minority as one)
>>
>>94241604
Pretty much. It's that sort of thing where he constantly has to take the air of threat out of villains in an awful degree. Thanos saying "People of Earth...Hi" is a great example.

Like, look at how when he switched from Avengers to X-men, the Avengers were suddenly eager to fight assholes who were all twitching their fingers on their guns. Hell, isn't it convenient that Maria Hill gets outed from SHIELD and now he has Riri say things like "SHIELD is the devil" to Sharon Carter's face?
>>
>>94227304
Anti-Johns. Johns loves C-Listers like the Rogues. Bendis would most likely shelve them
>>
Man I still have a love for the first two volumes of powers and his daredevil run. everything else he's done has lost its luster or was never good to begin with
>>
>>94226751
Marvel Comics?
>>
>>94241450
Bendis def had star power before his Avengers run. But it was that run and also GOTG/X-Men flagship titles which made people realize he isn't that great of a writer unless it's street level or the adventures of Ultimate Peter Parker.
>>
>>94246156
>>94245869
I think his inability to write for villains is also linked to his not wanting to write old-fashioned comic dialogue in any way.

There are a lot of villains, like Doom and Kang, who just have to talk in old-school, over-the-top villain dialogue; there's almost no other way to write them. But Bendis can't bring himself to do that because that would mean doing old-school comics dialogue in an unironic way. So he makes larger-than-life villains talk like street thugs.

Everything Bendis writes for Marvel is almost inseparable from that sense that he's too cool to write this kind of comic without irony.
>>
>>94233395
>Like Cage in Guardians
How does that make sense? That's completely random. Glad that didn't happen even though I didn't care too much about his run.
>>
>>94226643
Oh, but you're mistaken, Anon. Riri does in fact have a character. She's a narcissistic, spiteful, overly ambitious brat who's never at fault and can never lose. And whose flaws never seem to be acknowledged by those around her. She has to be told time and time again about how great and perfect she is even though she never does anything to earn such praise. She's supposed to be a prodigy, despite the fact that she has no defining accomplishments of her own and has to constantly be told what to do by those around her, like AI Tony, Friday, and Carol. Her existence has no purpose other than meet an agenda, stir up controversy, and prove a misguided point.
TL;DR She has a character, but that character is a shit one.
>>
>>94246404
God I forgot this piece of shit.
>>
>>94246404
What the fuck is this? Doom would never talk to a woman like that. Nor would he to anyone, as a matter of fact!
>>
>>94246170
Fuck, I could only imagine what the Rogues would be like if they were written by Bendis.
>>
File: wolvie_rape.jpg (32KB, 500x197px) Image search: [Google]
wolvie_rape.jpg
32KB, 500x197px
I think this was the most intentionally hilarious thing he has done
>>
>>94236512
Bendis doesn't care about diversity, he uses it as a tool to establish his own OCs.

He would kill and ignore every black character and replace them with his own if he could.
>>
>>94240349
He might as well be since he tries to fuck over Peter's character and kill him in favor of Miles.
>>
>>94243694
It's from last month.
>>
>>94240317
Early stages of cancer.
>>
>>94249362
That will happen one day and my only hope is renew your vows stays far away from him
>>
>>94247371
Like they are on the Flash TV show?
>>
>>94245746
>Beyond that "game-changing" pitch, he doesn't seem to make plans for how to go about it. He might have some scenes mapped out in his head, but he doesn't know how to tie them or the characters together in a way that makes the story flow decently.
That reminds me when he has Rachel Grey meeting Jean Grey was a throw away joke because fans asked for that to happen. Meanwhile, Bendis fills the rest of the issue with Cyclops and Ice Man hitting on some girls.
>>
>>94226607
I hate him because he is so smug about himself but he is such a shitty writter now.
>>
>>94226949
>And instead, he totally fucked it.
I haven't read Original Sin but what the hell he did?
>>
I wonder if he or Marlel are aware of how much is Bendis dismissed?
>>
File: BENDISS.jpg (91KB, 477x481px) Image search: [Google]
BENDISS.jpg
91KB, 477x481px
>>
>>94246567
This. Big Time.
>>
>>94227708
What he did to Armadillo?
>>
>>94229956
>Juggs is bi?
bullshit man
>>
>>94251648
Bendis legitimately did not get shat on critically until Civil War 2 to any serious degree. And even after that people routinely praise his current ongoing books.

The reason I hate Bendis is just that he doesn't put the effort in. I can actually deal with someone being a bad writer even if they are celebrated if they are sincere, driven, actually seem to care about what they are doing. By all accounts this is Bendis' dream job and he's incredibly happy to do it every day but his actual books are lazy, low effort and he rarely if ever shows any kind of desire to improve or self-reflect.

I truly don't care what you're interested in, what you want to write about. I don't even care that much if it's good or not. But I care that you try.
>>
>>94229671
fuck off bendis
>>
File: my sides.jpg (22KB, 340x340px) Image search: [Google]
my sides.jpg
22KB, 340x340px
>>94231627
Wait, he got in an online fight with Gail Simone?
Thread posts: 334
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.