[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get into DC?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: p00L2gp.jpg (132KB, 600x555px) Image search: [Google]
p00L2gp.jpg
132KB, 600x555px
I've finally had enough of Marvel trying to feed me poz loads. Where do I start with DC?
>>
>>94186416
1) Pick up a book
2) Read it
>>
>>94186416
Action Comics #1.
>>
What do you like? Like at the very least, cosmic, street level, what?

But honestly any creators you know at Marvel and liked probably did some DC work. Likely easiest to just go read some of that and then branch out as you learn about more characters.
>>
>>94186416
rebirth is a pretty solid jumping on point, depending on which hero you want to read. some have some previous continuity added in
>>
>>94186541
I like a wide range of stuff, but I mean more like are there any big event comics I need to read for background to know what the fuck is going on in the comics now, any comics that are ideal to introduce me to the major characters, any 'must read' stories, etc.
>>
>>94186416
>Where do I start with DC?
You start with All-Star Superman. And finish, because DC did never create anything better.
>>
>>94186613
I guess just think about how you'd answer that for Marvel and you'd see that it's not really that simple. There are plenty of good runs but no event that you absolutely have to read to understand other things. Stuff like the Crisis events are mostly housecleaning and not crucial.

52 is good introduction to side characters I guess, but most of it isn't really canon anymore.
>>
>>94186416
If you wanna start with Rebirth then a few great series that require no previous knowledge would be
>New Super-Man
>Green Lanterns
>Red Hood and the Outlaws
>Green Arrow
>Aquaman
>Super Sons
>>
Most of my exposure to DC is from normie stuff like the cartoons, TV shows, movies and vidya. I have read some of the stories people rave about like Dark Knight Returns, Long Halloween, etc. Like a lot of normies I used to not be that into Superman because he seemed too powerful for there to be any stakes, but I read All-Star Superman and some other stuff and I like him more now. But mostly I'm a filthy casual when it comes to DC.
>>
>>94186416
I have a huge ass recommended list but I'm quite anal about things, a "good comic" isn't the biggest event or the one where a character is strongest, I have, howevr, compiled a list of comics that explain the entire multiversal saga: up until Multiversity so that's that.
>>
>>94186780
Ok, so there's no need to read the Crisis stuff or 52, New 52, etc.? That is not important to the current continuity?
>>
>>94186848
Most of the time you don't. Sometimes it might be necessary or at least very helpful (like I think 52 should be read before the Johns/Katz Booster Gold run), but it's generally not required. Hell I still haven't read Infinite Crisis despite reading a lot of things that play off its events.

You'll pick up on the important details over time. Trying to actively cram it all in isn't helpful and probably isn't enjoyable.
>>
>>94186848
Crisis was just so DC could reboot everything, New 52 is everything that came out after Crisis
>>
>>94186416
Batman rebirth #1
Green lanterns rebirth #1
Flash rebirth #1
Titans rebirth #1
>>
>>94187696
>Titans rebirth #1

I would suggest DCU Rebirth #1 first on this one. (And Titans Hunt technically is before both but it was kind of shitty since they didn't get to do the Wally reveal there even though that was clearly the plan at the time.)
>>
>>94186613
>are there any big event comics I need to read
See you're stuck in a Marvel mindset.

And come on, this is a publisher that's been around for most of a century.
At least pick one or two characters/teams in particular you'd like to try.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.