[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you make a proper event?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 1501076094312.jpg (904KB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
1501076094312.jpg
904KB, 1988x3056px
This scene would've been more impact if Sam's resolution and decision to take the shield again wouldn't happened off-screen in a another book.

This really leads me too wonder how exactly should one handle events, every single event for the last few years has been awful and that mostly do you botching the execution of most plots. Do you guys think they should be more self-contained? Or how would you fix the concept of events?
>>
>>94179254
Remove blacks
>>
>>94179254
You don't.

Events are cancer.
>>
>>94179254
>one every ten years
>lasting consequences for everyone, for the next ten years at least
>enforced by editorial, writers have to either acknowledge the event and write accordingly to the consequences or fuck off out
>have a very well thought plan at least 2 years in advance with how it will start, develop and end, as well as the consequences
>get your best writer based on actual feedback from trusted sources, not your paid shills
it's not fucking rocket science for fuck sake
>>
>>94179254
Tie ins should only be side stories to the main events and never actually have something that impacts the event itself happen.

Let's do a hypothetical: "Return of Galactus"

>FF are the main story, put them in a comic entitled "Return of Galactus"
>X-men can handle the Shi'ar or something that fleshed out but doesn't directly impact the main story.
>Spider-man, Daredevil, Luke Cage, etc handle street level stuff like mass panic in their issues.
>Punisher kills looters.
>Avengers help fight Terra or whatever retard is his herald, again fleshing out the story but not keeping it mandatory to read.

That simple. Don't have Iron Man develop a Galactus killer in the Avengers, don't have Spiderman discover secret plans in his book. Keep it all seperate, then synchronize all the books so on the last month you have a huge battle taking place across the whole lineup.

Of course that would require communication among Marvel staff which we all know doesn't exist.
>>
>>94179529
>>lasting consequences for everyone, for the next ten years at least
Nigga do you even know why I don't like events.
>>
Make them far less frequent

Work at building up the story for at least a year

For the love of God, work out the pacing and story structure months before it gets published.

That will at least make it okay at worst.
>>
>>94179254
have real editors to shoot down the writer's shitty ideas or improve them to make them less shitty
>>
>>94179254
Make the event a graphic novel so everything is together and you can be sure you haven't missed anything. Also doesn't fuck up pacing if the event goes on forever like Secret Empire.
>>
>>94179662
Or Superior Spiderman.

It was an event that was a good idea but went on so long that it just relied on everyone being too retarded to realize what was up with him.
>>
>>94179275
Remove yourself.
>>
>>94179254
One reason Civil War was popular (I didn't say good) is it didn't grow out of a story in an ongoing book. The story actually began in the first issue of Civil War. Then it grew out of that story and ate up the rest of the line. The ongoing books had to react to it, not vice versa.

House of M, the other popular event of the era, sort of grew out of Avengers Disassembled but was still mostly a standalone event because very little had been heard of Wanda after the end of Disassembled. It was pretty much a standalone premise.

What you don't want is to have the beginning of the story take place in another book. Secret Empire is especially bad in this because not only does "Steve becomes HYDRA" not take place in issue # 1, but "HYDRA takes over America" happens off-panel.

An event should start in the event book.
>>
>>94179254
The thing with Marvel events is they always seem to be hero vs hero, and are so frequent going on for so long that there never seems to be a sense of normality. It's pretty disquieting, especially when by comparison in DC things get shaken up but then at least have a period of time to settle as the status quo.
>>
File: CaptainAmerica.jpg (91KB, 400x611px) Image search: [Google]
CaptainAmerica.jpg
91KB, 400x611px
>>94179254
How about you just not make Same Captain America and make a fucking story where Steve Rogers is Captain America?

It worked really well before; not sure why you would fix what wasn't fucking broke
>>
>>94179623
I would be under the impression that it is because writers are shit at taking advantage of consequences from an event to progress their own stories
>>
>>94179662
The way I'd do it is this. Say there's an Avengers event that affects others. Build towards it for one or two trade volumes of Avengers. Have a standalone graphic novel of the big event. Then a volume across all runs that refers to the event. So if Spidey isn't involved in the build up but is in the event, his next volume will refer to it and his status quo will be changed, but to catch up all you need is one book rather than four or five lines because the build-up volume in Avengers etc. is irrelevant.
>>
>>94179254
Secret Wars I style. One issues ends with "Hey this event is starting" and the next issue begins with "That sure was some event" and if you want to find out what happened go read the self contained miniseries.
>>
>>94179433
SPBP

also dubs for truth
>>
>>94179254
I would gather all the ongoings writers on a room, and discuss with everyone what's happening and what they are planing for their books, so I could write a story that doesn't contradics what's happening in any ongoing

Then I would present the plot I'm planning, and let them propose their ideas of what to do with their respective characters on the event.

I know the other way is easier (writing a story and imposing it to the other writers), but that way at least i'm not ruining 50 books in exchange for 1
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.