[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it worth getting into X-Men? I hear a lot of great things

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 1

File: uncanny-x-men-se.jpg (720KB, 1600x1239px) Image search: [Google]
uncanny-x-men-se.jpg
720KB, 1600x1239px
Is it worth getting into X-Men? I hear a lot of great things about runs like Claremont and Morrison, but when I see X-fags on this board they sound like battered housewives with the current state of comics
>>
>>94174403
it's the best comic book ever, but don't think you can just read it in short digestible burst.

you gotta read everything with an X on it, all the satellite books, all the unpopular runs, all the solo comics because everything eventually comes back in some way or another in X-Men.
>>
>>94174403
>Is it worth getting into X-Men?
Is it worth having sex?
>>
>>94174403
If you can stop as son as the 90s start, then it might be worth it to have a good time. If you're planning to stay in the long run, no it's not worth it at all. There's more worth in eating your own shit from the toilet.
>>
>>94174403
It's worth it but it's also a tough read. For about ten years Claremont's run is pretty self contained but then slowly the story of X-Men stretches to all the X-books and you have to read everything to know what the fuck's going on. It's a lot of effort but it's worth it until it stops being worth it. Eventually it just becomes too much of a mess.
>>
>>94174499
>Being this much of a blind fanboy

No one should waste their time reading crap just because of editorial mandate
>>
>>94174403
X-Men had great books in the 70s and 80s, as well as the 2000s. It's a shame the 90s and the 2010s mostly suck for them.
>>
>>94174549
Done back in for a bit for Morrison (and maybe Whedon) though
>>
>>94174514
Spoken like someone who's never had sex
>>
>>94175004
I imagine it's as good as reading X-Men comics.
>>
>>94174403
If you grew up during the Claremont era, you were used to the X-Men being not only good, but also relevant. Everybody cared about them.

Their current state is a sad reminder.
>>
>>94174403
Claremont's run alone can satiate you. But if you want others, Morrison, Gillen's and even Whedon are worth checking out. Both the first and more recent X-factor series are also worth a try.
>>
>>94174403

Don't ask us, go grab a torrent of all the books and dig in.

But if you must...

The best you'll find are 80s claremont/byrne, and Morrison's run. Whedon, maybe, if you were a fan of Whedon dialogue.

The very early x-men are the weakest of Lee and Kirby's works IMO. There just wasn't much there, there. Roy Thomas and Neal Adams made the book their own but too little, too late, resulting in the comic's cancellation until the relaunch with Wein and Cockrum (which was pretty good itself, and laid the foundation for Claremont)

The book got too top-heavy in the 90s, too many characters, too my writers, all moving in different disjointed directions. At some point it lost its soap opera way and became eye candy posing with no interesting characterizations.
>>
>>94175614
>even Whedon
What is that supposed to mean? That run was great.
>>
>>94174754
Definitely NOT Whedon.
>>
>>94175984

I didn't write that, but Whedon's dialogue seems to have a very polarizing effect on readers. Some adore it, some despise it.

I didn't mind his dialogue as much as I simply didn't care for the story he set up for the X-Men, didn't do anything for me.
>>
>>94174403
Sure there's zero value in the IP now, but over the decades there's been hundreds of good comics.
>>
>>94174499
That's not even sorta true.

>>94174549
90's had a handful of solid books.
Post-Leifeld X-Force is mostly pretty good and early Generation X is the high point of Lobdell's career.
>>
>>94175984
Whedon was a gigantic piece of shit. Not only his stories were crap and his waifufagging was Bendis tier, he also ruined everything Morrison worked so hard to achieve.
>>
>>94174403
>battered housewives
Stop repeating shit you read on the internet, everyone else has read it too.
>>
>>94175984
It was carried by the art and Cyclops being cool.

The rest of the characters and the actual stories were pretty bad.
>>
>>94175614
I think people are too kind to Gillen, like they used to be with Whedon.

The writing started very strong, but it was hobbled by some garbage art.
And being the best part of the worst X-Men story doesn't account for much.
Plus his Magik was just terrible.
>>
>>94174403
I started reading last month or so. I wanted to start with semi-new stuff, from Morrison's arc and up. Morrison's new, Uncanny, Astonishing, focusing on Whedon, Ellis and Gillen worked fine for me. Basically, stuff focusing on cyclops-led x-men from morrison, till x-men vs avengers is a good way to enjoy modern x-men stuff.

If you want to go older, Claremont.
>>
>>94174403
They are good books, and worth getting into it since you have decades worth of good stuff. But you have to understand that Marvel took a giant shit on them and is hell-bent on writing them out for the past 5 years due to movie rights envy, same reason why the F4 was axed.
>>
It's worth it, they make everything else in Marvel tame in comparison. The Avengers never had the iconic stories that X-Men had back in the day.
>>
Start reading from the Claremont era and stop after Maggott gets introduced in the mid-90s
>>
>>94176727
Why do you hate Japeth and Cecilia?
>>
>>94174754
> Maybe Whedon
Nah man... Just... Nah.
>>
>>94176839
It was a really weak era bro. Cecilia was annoying as fuck too. Maggott didn't do anything interesting and his power set was pretty ridiculous. Even Joseph was more interesting than those two.
>>
>>94174514
>Is it worth having sex?
I've heard it's overrated.
>>
>>94178328
Can't be better than comics.
>>
>>94178858
>Not reading comics while having sex

When did I wind up in pleb town
>>
>>94174403
I think the X-Men was at its best from the late 70s to the late mid-eighties myself. Start with giant sized X Men 1, stop after Mutant Massacre/ 1st Genosha arc, depending if you're still enjoying it. I'd say read the New Mutants in parallel too, but I recommend stopping at issue 50.

After this point it all starts falling to bits, IMO.
>>
>>94179080
I jerk it to Fat Atom Eve issues does that count?
>>
>>94179182
This post should be the banner for /co/
>>
>>94179175
Age of Apocalypse was pretty cool. If you like Flashpoint you should dig AoA.

Don't read the revisit that they wrote in the early 2000s though, it's trash.
>>
>>94179425
I might get flak for this but...I like the Onslaught saga. It was interesting actually seeing Xavier as the bad guy.
>>
>>94177240
>Maggott didn't do anything interesting.
>33 appearances

Not like he's ever had time.
>>
>>94174403
Don't bother with it. I found creator owned comics to be more engaging and a rewarding experience.

X-Men only is good for discovering perverted sex fetishes under Claremont, soap opera shenanigans under Lobdell, and Morrison's desconstructionist New X-Men.

I only recommend Morrison's run. His New X-Men was my gateway to Morrison and by extension, creator owned comics.
>>
>>94179512
I was 13 when Onslaught happened and I thought that armor was the dopest shit ever.

Too bad Marvel panicked over the Heroes Reborn fallout (which was pretty justified, Heroes Reborn sucked), the lasting implications of Xavier being the one who betrayed the X-men would have been pretty cool to see.

Only downside imo is it gave us this stupid ass "Xavier is super shady!" trope that current Marvel writers love to flog their dicks over.
>>
>>94174514
Virgin Alert.

X-Men is grossly overrated.

I only enjoyed Morrison, Ellis, Whedon, Gillen, and Houston's respective runs.
>>
>>94179631
Oh he had plenty of time.
>>
>>94179686
>Only downside imo is it gave us this stupid ass "Xavier is super shady!" trope that current Marvel writers love to flog their dicks over.
WHOLEHEARTEDLY AGREE. He's never been the same since.
>>
>>94176256

Nah I liked the Warren Ellis stuff
>>
>>94179687
>he enjoyed Whedon
I'll rather be a virgin than enjoy that shit
>>
>>94180072

Wishes do come true
>>
>>94180067
Ellis' run was more of a proper sequel to Morrison's run, than Whedon's Astonishing X-Men.
>>
>>94180072
Kek. Keep choking that chicken, anon.
>>
>>94180235

Must be a UK writer thing
>>
>>94174403
And you are surprised?

With all the shit that happened around them (both in terms of movies, rights to them and comic books), it's a wonder that they are still around.

Still it's Marvel's fault for selling the movie rights to them along with FF and Spider-Man.

At least they made a compromise with Sony that caused Spidey to get included into the movie continuity. X-Men and Fantastic Four are stuck with fucking Fox for good.
>>
>>94174403

yes, but the last comic you should read is Spurrier's X Men Legacy which is iirc from 2012 and 2013

Basically, from Claremont to that comic.
>>
>>94180415

>Still it's Marvel's fault for selling the movie rights to them along with FF and Spider-Man.

Didn't that move keep them from going bankrupt?
>>
>>94180365
Morrison and Ellis apparently go out for drinks often. That is when Morrison isn't stark naked with only a towel tugged over his head declaring he having breakthroughs.
>>
>>94180540
Yes.
>>
>>94180415
> X-Men and Fantastic Four are stuck with fucking Fox for good.
>Implying that's a bad thing

X2, First Class, and Logan were leagues better than almost all of the MCU.
>>
>>94180542
Man, it must be a great thing to drink with those lads.
>>
>>94180699
>Morrison
>Moore
>Ellis
>Gaiman

For a largely American medium, a surprising number of the best comic writers are British
>>
>>94180794
Don't forger Millar!!!!
>>
>>94180843
I don't know who has the bigger gap between their hits and misses: him or Miller.
>>
>>94180640
The only X-Men movies I like are Deadpool and Logan, but I'd still hate for the property to go to Marvel.

They barely give a shit about continuity and the franchise doesn't feel like one movie with different coats of paint.
>>
>>94180640
Its bad for Fantastic Four. And while the MCU has its issues, Fox ain't any better. Their franchise building feels antiquated and characterless outside of 3 characters.
>>
>>94180542
>>94180699

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr9v1do_Gjs
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.