[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Frank Millers "Holy Terror" a Misunderstood Masterpiece?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 10

File: 1500843865603.jpg (588KB, 1834x1391px) Image search: [Google]
1500843865603.jpg
588KB, 1834x1391px
>inb4 that's islamophobic and race baiting

Miller said he wanted to write a propaganda piece about superheroes fighting terrorists.

>Storytime for anons who have not read it:

http://archive.is/A0NSD
>>
With all the terrorists attacks happening in the west, im surprised this hasnt gotten more steam.
>>
all the reviews that ive heard are about how it weighs against their personal opinion without any objective criticism.

is this something which is considered bad in this culture as opposed to in general?
>>
>>94146927
>Is Frank Millers "Holy Terror" a Misunderstood Masterpiece?
No.
>>
>>94146927

I love the art. The writing is pretty bad though.
>>
File: maxim-verehin-batman-verehin.jpg (115KB, 824x1200px) Image search: [Google]
maxim-verehin-batman-verehin.jpg
115KB, 824x1200px
>>94147162

The art and storytelling in general is good for the first half, but then it just abruptly ends with the hero fightning muslims and irish merceneries, he kills them all, and then miller concludes the story with 1 page narration how the victims will never forget the experience

which is true, all the victims of muslim terrorism are becoming aggressive towards the ruling politicians in europe who are letting these people in here, and im sure a comic like holy terror reflects the feelings people had after the gay club shooting in usa, than the image comics one, where deathstroke quits using guns.........
>>
>>94147261
>than the image comics one, where deathstroke quits using guns.........

oh, so it was good idea to quit reading modern comics.
>>
>>94147281
Deathstroke's solo is great.
>>
File: Taiga NO.jpg (48KB, 478x480px) Image search: [Google]
Taiga NO.jpg
48KB, 478x480px
>>94146927
>>
>>94146927
The story itself is entirely dreadful and one note, but the storytelling is top notch. I think of it as an art book.
>>
>>94147261
>which is true, all the victims of muslim terrorism are becoming aggressive towards the ruling politicians in europe who are letting these people in here

Most of them are born citizens who were radicalized by the Internet.
>>
>>94147334
That just makes it worse. Letting people in only for their kids to go nuts.
>>
File: Chensaw.gif (156KB, 536x440px) Image search: [Google]
Chensaw.gif
156KB, 536x440px
>>94147261
You mean a mass shooting that had no ties to region and the guy who did it was just your average madman with a gun?
>>94147281
>He says as Deathstroke is the kind of guy who can just as easily kill you with a sword as he does guns
>And Deathstroke is no stranger to using swords
>>
>>94147379

https://www.follownews.com/witnesses-orlando-shooter-shouted-allahu-akbar-during-rampage-1efep

http://heavy.com/news/2016/06/omar-mateen-called-911-pledge-allegiance-isis-leader-al-baghdadi-shooting-orlando-florida-dispatcher/

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jun/20/omar-mateen-911-calls-orlando-shooting-fbi-release-isis

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/283211-trump-orlando-killer-shouted-allah-hu-akbar-as-he

http://www.wnd.com/2016/06/dhs-whistleblower-orlando-terror-linked-to-san-bernardino/

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jun/13/orlando-massacre-omar-mateens-ex-wife-says-he-beat-her-and-held-her-hostage

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/14/us/politics/orlando-shooting-omar-mateen.html

Yeah nothing to do with the religion of peace.
>>
>>94147443
https://www.fbi.gov/contact-us/field-offices/tampa/news/press-releases/investigative-update-regarding-pulse-nightclub-shooting

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/06/13/police-orlando-gunman-was-cool-and-calm-during-hostage-standoff/?utm_term=.66bcb233bc59
>investigators delving into the attacker’s background have not found anything linking him with radical groups
>ISIL. But there is no evidence so far that he was in fact directed by ISIL, and at this stage there’s no direct evidence that he was part of a larger plot.”
>However, Comey said there were no signs that Mateen was tied to any kind of network, and he added that it remained unclear exactly what extremist group this attacker supported.
There are profiles for these kind of things, and his profile is that of a person with mental issues and not radical. Because a guy who swears loyalty to ISIS wouldn't also swear loyalty to Hezbollah, a group that ISIS is in armed conflict with.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-fbi-investigation-mateen-20160712-snap-story.html
>>
>>94147573
If he hadn't shot up a gay club I'd agree with you. You don't just grow up wanting to kill a bunch of gays who you've never interacted with. That attitude and extreme prejudice is learned.
>>
I guess OP if you're implying Miller succeeds in his goal of creating a propaganda piece in the vein of Comics during WW2 and the Cold War, you're right. Whether that makes a good comic ymmv. I never read it but it looks entertaining.

That's part of the problem with political correctness: Even someone deliberately and up frontally avoiding it get's flack for stepping outside their notion of acceptable discourse.
>>
>>94147710
There was the allegations that he was gay himself and was a regular at the club. So he hated himself for being gay, you don't have to be religious to hate yourself.
>>
>>94147359

Yeah, can't be xenophobic when it's your own native society producing the threat.
>>
>>94147804
They were only allegations that couldn't be corroborated, and the FBI outright said they couldn't confirm it.

And furthermore even if he was, you don't think his upbringing in the extremely homophobic Muslim culture would've contributed to his self-loathing?
>>
He should make a graphic novel about the life of Muhammad
>>
>>94146927
>what is desuarchive
>what is yuki.la
Additionally, that storytime is still in the internal archive.
>>
>>94146927
Yeah, it's biggest problems are that it hurts a bunch of feefees
>>
>>94147896
Perhaps but in the end the FBI outright said he wasn't a radical
>>
>>94147573
>muh mental issues
why do you defend people that literally want to kill you based on what they believe? believe AKA a choice of whether or not to commit violence. stop making excuses for shitty people
>>
File: Batman (12).jpg (900KB, 1834x1391px) Image search: [Google]
Batman (12).jpg
900KB, 1834x1391px
>>94147334

Yep and now places like Britain are full of acid attacks and nobody is doing anything about it.

but again, just makes me really wonder, after 4 years of consistant terror strikes around europe, usa, why hasnt holy terror gotten more attention? youd think it would be a best seller.
>>
do your job mods
>>
File: fear of allah in you.jpg (429KB, 1600x839px) Image search: [Google]
fear of allah in you.jpg
429KB, 1600x839px
>>94148864
>getting mad at comic discussion
You'll make a bitch of a beheading video.
>>
>>94147932
>FBI states that muslim man who shoots over fifty people for being gay was not a radical
>a random white guy shoots less than ten is obviously a radical white supremacist

nigga, you one ignorant faggot I'll give you that.
>>
>>94146927

No. The art is beautiful.

But it starts out with the weird "not-Batman fighting/fucking not-Catwoman" sequence, which is immediately offputting. The rest of the story just continues to be rushed and akward.
>>
>>94147813

The problem is Muslim culture.

Wherever they go, they seem to act like Muslims first, and "members of this country" last.

They actively refuse to even try to integrate, and then are honor killed by their fellow Muslims if they actually do integrate.
>>
>>94151238
Isn't that more of a Middle Eastern thing? I mean you don't see these problems in other parts of Asia or even in a country like Sierra Leone which despite being majority Muslim has a secular government and low religious violence
>>
It was really fucking appalling how the entire comic book journalistic establishment descdnded upon this book in the name of political correctness.

If this administration would finally get its act together, it could start rescuing culture by getting rid of the journalistic establishment and putting reasonable, tasteful people in their place.

This comic is a masterpiece, plain and simple. Anybody who denies that is subhuman trash.
>>
>>94151363

No.

Islam is terrible anywhere it's allowed to take root. African Muslim countries are terrible, Asian Muslim countries are terrible, and hell, even the couple South American ones are massive funders of terrorism.
>>
>>94151363

Actually you're wrong, the philippes or wherever that tyrant durande is ruling, has an ISIS problem.

Islam is the problem, and again, people have brought up how european born muslims, still decide to commit terrorism.
>>
>>94149764
Reasons, anon. Shooting fifty gay people for being gay doesn't make you a radical, it makes you homophobic, but killing a bunch of a specific minority because they are that minority, while also saying "I killed them because of interracial relationships" sure as fuck does make you a racist reactionary.
>>
>>94153629

The kid's best friend was black, so I would put blame on Obama making America more divided than before.
>>
>>94147359
Yes, Anglos back to England for a peaceful USA, I say.
>>
>>94151429
Honestly yeah,I've always thought exactly like that. Every other comic book reader always told me horror stories about this comic and I never took the bait. I know Frank Miller has written some real piles of dog shit but I doubt the man would write the Mein Kampf of comics. That story time really brought to light how ingrained we currently are with political correctness and how harmless the story actually was. If that story had been batman vs the league of Shadows or someshit no one would have batted an eye but because it's about a "touchy subject" it's been lambasted to hell and beyond.
>>
I wonder what the people who defend the virtue of muslims online think they're going to get out of it. A medal?
>>
I think the last second art changes really hurt the book, and makes the action muddy, and too hard to follow at times.

I wonder if it would have been better as say, Al Quaida comes to Sin City.

>>94147261
Different people had different reactions. The reaction of the audience of that comic acutally WAS to try to ban more guns.

Frank Miller's reaction is also an honest one though.

>>94147573
Has it occurred to you that he might be an islamic fundamentalist AND fucking nuts?

>>94148864
As long as we stick to the comics, and don't go too crazy, we're still ok.
>>
>>94154704

Half of them are Muslims themselves.

The other are dumbass SJWs who don't know the first thing about Islam, to the point where they literally think it's a race.

/co/mblr has an infestation of both. Go figure.
>>
File: IMG_4427.png (66KB, 206x369px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4427.png
66KB, 206x369px
>>94153629
>Shooting one group of people just because of who they are is not radicalism
>Shooting another group of people just because of who they are is radicalism though
>>
>>94153531
What? Phillipines is catholic majority
>>
>>94153629
>Killing a bunch of a specific minority because they are that minority
You mean like gays?
>>
So it's pretty much Batman vs Ms marvel?
>>
>>94154848
And they're still having to combat Islamic terrorists cells (most have since sworn allegiance to ISIS) in their own country. The US used to be involved as well.
>>
>>94154611
>>94154704
thanks for reviving the threads, idiots.
>>
>>94155025
Just downvote them.
>>
>>94154611
Fun factoid: Frank miller isn't even conservative. He's a center left hillary clinton supporter.

>>94151363
It's more to do with certain sects of islam, which are more common in the middle east. It's not the Sufis that are blowing up people. For example, Boko Haram in Nigeria, The Jihadis in Jakara, or in German, where youv'e had muslims for 60 years, but significant terrorisim only very recently.

>>94154848
It doesn't matter what the majority is. It matters if there's enough people willing to fuck shit up.

The've got major, as in entire towns shot to pieces.

No links, because this is /co/. It's easy to find.

>>94154908
That's not even worth a smug reaction image.

>>94147379
>>94147573
You would have to blatantly misread the FBI's statements to come up with that conclusion.
>>
>>94155168
>Fun factoid: Frank miller isn't even conservative. He's a center left hillary clinton supporter.

It's funny because so many people were taking shots at him by calling him a right-winger.
>>
>>94155249
But that's the thing. He IS right wing, but only compared to the rest of the industry, If you're naturally left of Vladimir Lenin, Frank Miller does look right wing. Cho and Chakyin have the same issue.
>>
File: 1500857003929.jpg (629KB, 1776x1336px) Image search: [Google]
1500857003929.jpg
629KB, 1776x1336px
Another issue with no one willing to address the comic and its content, is the lack of subtle ideas and concepts Miller shows.

here, not-batman talks about his training from zionist david, who planted the idea of massive jihad always coming and not-batman is absolutely certain the police force in not-gotham has been working with the terrorist cell.

in the britain, BBC and other news channels keep hiding or belittling islam related crimes at their best, who knows what the police do over there.
>>
>>94155510
again, I wonder what the original script, with Batman would have called for here. Obviously he's not going to take out Gordon.
>>
>>94148682
Bad art?
>>
File: Batman (30).jpg (934KB, 1280x1968px) Image search: [Google]
Batman (30).jpg
934KB, 1280x1968px
>>94155564

gordon is not the commissionaire yet, hes still on the rank he has by the end of year one.

holy terror takes after year one but before asbar.
>>
>>94155300
Only a complete idiot would think Chaykin is right-wing. Oh wait, those people complaining really were complete idiots.
>>
>>94155564
Given that Levitz and Miller had to have a long talk about whether Batman would do these things, I'd say he probably might've had Batman try to take out the commissioner.

And >>94156120 is right, Gordon was promoted to Captain at the end of Year One. Miller said Holy Terror, Batman would be Year 1.5 (also in Holy Terror, notice that Not-Gordon is a Captain), and All Star Batman would take place after.
>>
No, OP, Holy Terror is still a shitty propaganda piece with occasional flashes of brilliance in the art, with literally nothing else to recommend it
>>94148682
The acid attacks are by white supremacist dickheads who are all HURR DURR REMOVE KEBAB, so the news isn't making too much of a fuss - it's only terrorism when brown people do it.
>>94154704
Nah, we just like triggering you alt-right snowflakes with facts
>THE KORAN IS SO VIO-
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/violence-more-common-in-bible-than-quran-text-analysis-reveals-a6863381.html
>MUH ISLAMIST DOCTRI-
https://www.adl.org/education/resources/tools-and-strategies/myths-and-facts-about-muslim-people-and-islam
>ALL MUSLIMS HATE G-
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/angela-merkel-chancellor-germany-same-sex-marriage-vote-lgbt-muslim-mps-berlin-bundestag-cdu-sdp-a7819391.html
>ALL MUSLIMS ARE TERRORI-
https://www.indy100.com/article/isis-kill-mostly-muslims-manchester-kabul-7768751
>>94155168
>even one of the craziest guy in comics won't vote Trump
Really makes you think...
>>
>>94156572
>independent
>>
>>94155564
Not-Gordon's in this, he's the one who's awake and scared at the end.
>>
>>94146927
No. Its only saving grace is the art. The story is boring and is kind of a slog to get through. The dialogue is stilted and the characters have no chemistry with each other. As a propaganda piece it isn't all that effective. It is aiming to be a grittier version of Golden Age propaganda comics, but it missed the part where they worked mostly for their camp and colorful nature. By making it gritty and edgy it loses a lot of what makes those old propaganda comics entertaining. Its portrayal of the muslim problem as an all encompassing conspiracy, rather than focusing on a specific enemy like Middleasternaghan, makes it a little more Meinh-Khampfi than I'd prefer. Having Not-Batman be portrayed as a crazy nut-job kind of undermines its points as well. Also the weird bit about ancient civilizations underneath Empire City and random Irish chemical weapons is incredibly distracting and drew me out of the story.

>>94156661
It is an obvious troll post.
>>
>>94146927
[Spoiler] No [/Spoiler]
>>
>mfw all these fags never read Johnny Jihad

cool comic, you should read it.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.