[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ghost Rider 2017

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 5559766-01.jpg (455KB, 843x1280px) Image search: [Google]
5559766-01.jpg
455KB, 843x1280px
Why did they ruin this Robbie Reyes arc with the Cho, Silk, Laura bullshit? Reyes' story was the only interesting part but he was only in the arc for 30% of it.
>>
>>94130441

I don't know that anyone can answer that question. I bought the trade paperbacks of the first run and had happily planned to do likewise with this one, but reading the first couple of issues on /co/ that interest rapidly faded. It's fine to have a teamup, but the narrative focus needs to remain on the protagonist if you're going to use him to tell a compelling story.
>>
I don't understand whether or not the team up was mandated by editorial or not. Robbie's original run didn't do well despite it's positive critical reception, so it's not as if Robbie has a ton of power to leverage promoting other books. Robbie's treatment in general is bizarre. He's left out of promotions all the time, he's not in generations for instance, but he gets to be a guest star in Agents of Shield. Then his AoS guest incarnation is half Robbie half Johnny Blaze anyway. It's unclear what the hell Marvel wants to do with him. Kamala is obviously the darling of their diverse legacy hero push, but Robbie's been forgotten despite being more successful than shit like America. Except of course for getting to be in AoS, an arguably bigger push than anyone else got, but outside of the comics. It's like Marvel can't decide whether or not he's a failure.
>>
>>94131120

Agreed. It makes no sense. He's the coolest of their diverse characters, has a great story and did well. The only thing I can think of is that they hoped his critical acclaim would rub off on Cho, Laura and Silk (who out of all of them I think on Laura was doing well).

Bringing back Blaze for Spirits of Vengeance is such a bizarre choice since it's such a great chance to bring back Robbie.
>>
At least it wasn't Moon Girl
>>
I have to agree that Marvel's treatment of the character is just weird. It kind of happens with all of the Ghost Riders. Their appearances are very rare and when they're not actively in a book, they completely disappear. Like when was the last time Ketch was even mentioned, much less seen? What about 2099? I know there was Ghost Racers, but that led almost nowhere.
>>
>>94130441
It felt like they were going for a "New Fantastic Four" thing, but didn't publish it as such.
>>
>>94131800
>>94131480

It's a microcosm of how Marvel is mishandling a number of their characters, really. Robbie is a good character but his fanbase is not that big, so you can't afford to alienate them when you relaunch his book. And at the same time, neither Cho, nor Silk nor Laura are big draws. They are perfectly fine characters but Silk had already gotten cancelled and Cho is in the red zone. Only Laura is doing well, but she isn't Spidey of Logan, who can goose sales with a guest appearance.

You can see them make similiar mistakes with several characters - e.g. Moon Girl is fine on her ongoing, but out of place nearly everywhere else. Older readers find her push grating. And books like IvX where people get gassed to death or Secret Warriors where you have Mr. Hyde vivisecting Inhumans in internment camps are bizarre choices to try to sell to kids who pick up her books at Scholastic fairs.
>>
>>94132472
problem is Latino isn't minority enough. if robbie had been a 1/2 black 1/2 pakistani transsexual Marvel would be throwing him at everything
>>
>>94132674
Him having a disabled brother wasn't enough.

Robbie should've been a FtM trans lesbian single parent who had recently converted to Islam.
>>
>>94130441
The writer clearly wanted to (or was mandated to) do a New Fantastic Four reference, but seemed to forget this is supposed to be a solo book, not Marvel Team-Up.
>>
>>94133121
Sound pretty haram, effendi.
>>
hotrods are too cholo. That's why they're going back to choppers.
>>
>>94131480
>The only thing I can think of is that they hoped his critical acclaim would rub off on Cho, Laura and Silk (who out of all of them I think on Laura was doing well).
I've heard this excuse before, but I don't buy it. If anything, I think it's the opposite. Laura does well by modern Marvel standards and at the time, Cho's book was just somewhat below average. Only Silk's book was doing poorly, but so did Robbie's original solo. A lot of people blame Tradd leaving for the dip in sales, but ANGR had some serious drop off from the start and never seemed to level out.

Plus, I do think that the team up was editorially mandated and the characters were selected not because of their sales, but specifically because it was a Ghost Rider, a Hulk, a Spider and a Wolverine. It goes back to NFF and CoF, and that was both obvious and intentional since the arc was billed as Four on the Floor.

What was stupid was using Robbie's reboot solo as a vehicle for what was essentially a team up mini right from issue #1. Worse, a team up mini that he was barely even in compared to the others.
>>
>>94134028
>A lot of people blame Tradd leaving for the dip in sales,
to be fair, I can see that being a part of it.

it's hard to follow up an act like Tradd
>>
Reyes actually seemed organic and not just shoehorned in because he was hispanic. They really made him feel unimportant in his last series. I think in issue 3 he was only in 5 pages while Cho was in more than 10.
>>
>>94131120
It's because he's a character first, and a nationality second. Sooner or later you're going to get Gabby Rivera writing him to "fix" that.
>>
>>94135439
>Gabby Rivera writing him

Actually.. maybe it's best if he never gets a book again...
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.