[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm 3 episodes in and holy shit it's bad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: apollo_gauntlet.jpg (95KB, 1024x575px) Image search: [Google]
apollo_gauntlet.jpg
95KB, 1024x575px
I'm 3 episodes in and holy shit it's bad
>>
>>94126866
Why does "adult" humor give excuse for such lazy character design and animation?
>>
the ads they've been playing made me want to never watch it
>>
>>94126898
Because adults care about the content, not the cover.

Not that the content here is any good
>>
>>94126866
That's the point, Anon. It's a fine show; the bad animation gives it some charm
>>
File: bad guys.png (198KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
bad guys.png
198KB, 500x282px
>>94126866
It is fucking painful that Bad Guys was axed in favor of this shit.

...and yet another Tim Heidecker series that tries really really hard to not ever be funny
>>
>>94127881
Bad guys was shit too, Anon
>>
>>94126898
Not just that, I cannot stand the very mumbly voice actor who will sometimes just say things that never recorded well at all because he was too low key and never enunciated the words

The animation style is trying really hard to look like the worst parts of early 80's Filmation stuff.
>>
>>94127902
it was at least funny, this whole series cannot accomplish that
>>
File: 4e2d838beddc6c698b002c8b.jpg (19KB, 367x332px) Image search: [Google]
4e2d838beddc6c698b002c8b.jpg
19KB, 367x332px
>>94126866
How is this any different from the last 5 series Adult Swim picked up?

It's all anti-humor crap now
>>
>>94127918
Na it wasn't funny either. It tried too hard to be funny. Nothing about it was memorable. All I remember was annoying black villain. I usually like Key too but not when they make him load and obnoxious for the sake of being load and obnoxious.
>>
>>94127906
It does sound like he stops talking into the mic a lot. Like he is just in a room saying shit and he moves around it all the time. Because some of his stuff is audible and then it isn't
>>
>>94126898
An engineer I know says that a common counter-intuitive thing is that breakthroughs and brilliant designs are often created in light of all sorts of size, weight, expense, etc. constraints put on the engineers. When engineers are given free-reign to do whatever they want, they lazily create borderline-Rube-Goldberg machines.

In my mind, this is why a lot of "adult" cartoon fail. It's funnier to have subtle adult themes barley snuck in under the radar. You can tell it requires a lot more creativity to pull off adult themed jokes in ways that they think little kids won't understand. Adult cartoons just lean on adult themes (sex, drugs, inappropriate behavior, murder, etc) as a crutch, and think it will be entertaining enough to just have those things without exploring them in creative ways.
>>
>>94127992
A lot of it has to do with Lazzo being incredibly specific in what he likes and wants people to do.

He is really really super into being hip and trendy at all times despite being near 50, and wants everything on AS to hold the same standard. So things need loads of "tasteful" pop culture references and humor that is not for the dirty plebeians. So showrunners have to either have the same attitude or double over themselves to please that mindset.
>>
>>94126898
Have you ever watched "Your pretty face is going to hell" or "Loiter Squad"? They are decend, but weak and not very popular comedies that producers can't give much money for production, so you notice the cheap ass effects and scenario and think "Wow! this would be less awkward if it was animated"

Now compare these shows type of comedy with "Jeff & Some Aliens" or "Brad Neely's Harg Nallin' Sclopio Peepio ", these shows have pretty much the same pacing as the one above and they never really have nothing animated that they coundn't do with some costumes, makeup and editing, but since flash animation is easier and requires less people to do than building a set and a scenario.
>>
>>94127992
Typically the problem comes from the common definition of "adult" cartoon. When someone attaches the word adult to it, then it falls into one of two things, lowbrow stoner comedy, or NC17 trying to get away with as much gore and nudity as humanly possible without reason or plot.

For some reason no one gets the idea that it can be normal too.
>>
>>94127970
I kinda like Apollo. It's not great but I like watching the bad animation. It also feels like the kinda show AS would have done back in the day. Maybe not in execution but definitely in style.
>>
>>94126866
It's a lot like several Tim and Eric shows where the concept would make a decent 2 minutes sketch but not really a full series. Then the joke gets really tired and I don't care any more.
>>
>>94127970
With TBS getting the new adult JG Quintel series rather than Adult Swim I firmly believe that AS is content to just churn out cheap, random, shit that appeals to the "turn off you brain and weed it up" crowd.
>>
>>94128268
wasn't that always the case?

I think people just really hoped it would get better with the occasional Venture Brothers season, but that was never going to be the norm.
>>
>>94128468
Yeah that was always the case. AS roots have always sort of been in anti humor realm. Space ghost, aqua teen, brak, sealab were trend setters for the half assed production esque shows that were meant for stoners. I guess you could make the argument that those shows had better writing.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.