[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did UMVC3 have a good selection of Marvel characters?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 4

File: mvc3.jpg (302KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
mvc3.jpg
302KB, 1280x720px
Did UMVC3 have a good selection of Marvel characters?
>>
>Rocket racoon
>storm
>hawkeye
>MODOK
>no spiderman villians
>no sentry
What do you think?
>>
>>94122692
>What do you think?
Looks pretty good.
>>
If given more time to develop Ultimate, I would think

But it's still a pretty great roster.
>>
Shulkie, X-23, MODOK and Hawkeye were pretty based. DR. Strange as well. oh and Nova, so yes they did
>>
>>94122692
>hating on rocket and modok
heck off
>>
>>94122701
I agree
>>
>>94122615

It's decent, but...

No Cyclops
No Reed with assists from the other 3 rather than the lame Super Skrull.
No Spider villain
>>
>>94122692
>>no sentry

Nobody, but NOBODY is a sentry fan. At most people think he looks cool but even the plebbiest pleb knows he's a dumb character.
>>
>>94122615
No, it was dog shit compared to MVC2
>>
>>94123104

Sentry has plenty of dedicated fans, who love the crap out of him.
Sentrys problem is, that he is a thinking mans superhero. And expecting people to think... is not something one can expect in this day and age.
>>
>>94123342
>Sentrys problem is, that he is a thinking mans superhero.

Explain
>>
>>94123452
Sentry was originally a vehicle to explore themes like addiction and the dangers of absolute power, and got turned into "Marvel's Superman #14" later, so a lot of folks cling to the idea that he was 2deep4u.
>>
>>94123452

Ever heard someone say that the Sentry is Marvels Superman? That notion couldn't be more false.

The Sentry is the literal analogy of what would happen, if a regular person got godlike powers.
People wouldn't be like Superman, no matter how good they would be. People would either be psychopaths from the very first beginning, or like in Sentrys case, they would try their hardest to do the right thing. But ultimately they would fail. Because trying to save the world on a daily basis is an impossible task, which would drive you more and more insane.

To fully appreciate the Sentry you need to read all of his comics and appearances. And you need to pay attention to the context.
The Sentry requires attention and dedication, because there is no black and white, when it comes to that character. Which is actually ironic due to the nature of the Sentry and the Void.
But the Sentry operates in plenty grey areas. And that is very appealing.
>>
>>94123532
>>94123536
See? This is exactly what I mean.
>>
>>94123572

For every instance you name about Sentry being Marvels Superman #14, I could name you two or three instances to correct your opinion.
>>
>Nova
>Rocket Raccoon
>Super Skrull
>Dormammu
>Taskmaster
>She-Hulk
>Amaterasu
>Phoenix Wright
>Viewtiful Joe

You will never convince me that this roster isn't amazing, given all the absurd picks
>>
>>94123642
I'll just take your word for it, brother. I don't care about this character nearly enough to get into this.
>>
>>94123657
The Marvel side is rock solid, but there's some questionable choices from Capcom like bringing back Tron, Red Arremer, Viper, having Wifearm Spencer be the main skin and ESPECIALLY Trish.
>>
>>94122615
So why did they leave out all the Xmen and FF characters from MvCI?
>>
>>94123758
Movie rights drama/can sell DLC later
>>
The only thing I hated about UMVC3s roster and pretty much any other fighting game roster... were the many copy characters.

If we have Ryu, why have Akuma?
If we have Hulk, why have She-Hulk?
If we have Wolverine, why have X-23?

That's 3 slots already, which could have been used for characters with entirely new powers and gimmicks. Like why not use the Sentry, Ice Man, Moon Knight or if you want female Marvel characters then Scarlet Witch, Invisible Woman or Rogue.
Capcom also has plenty of great characters, which would have brought an entirely new power set to the table. I understand that missing out on Akuma is quite a thing, but still.
>>
>>94123819
>She-Hulk
>Copy

Go back to /v/. Jen was a great addition, both personality and moveset-wise.
>>
>>94123819
>If we have Hulk, why have She-Hulk?
Did you... did you even play the game?
>>
>>94123819
She-Hulk and hulk are completely different characters, despite being related, and function completely differently. She was a great choice for a strong, strength based female fighter instead of the typical projectile/speed oriented archetypes, and her moveset had a ton of personality.

That drop kick was perfection.
>>
>>94123700
I'm okay with Tron and Firebrand, I'd swap Viper for Juri and Trish for Nero or Lady but that's personal preference.
Classic Spencer skin should've been default for sure.
Even then, those minor details don't take away from the roster at large seeing as Trish and Viper are fun to play.
>>
File: This guy is a fucking idiot..png (38KB, 499x338px) Image search: [Google]
This guy is a fucking idiot..png
38KB, 499x338px
>>94123819
>Akuma plays completely different to Ryu
>She-Hulk play completely different to Hulk
>X-23 plays completely different to Wolverine
And yet you're actually advocating for fucking Rogue to be a choice, the character who steals moves from other fighters
>>
File: star-lord 2.jpg (58KB, 600x1170px) Image search: [Google]
star-lord 2.jpg
58KB, 600x1170px
>>94122615
Would've been perfect if it had Star-lord and Cyclops
>>
>>94123700
Tronne is great though, I love her design and the way they incorporate the servebots into her moveset. She had a unique personality/skillset and a very distinct visual style amongest the other characters in the rosters, and functioned love letter to the Megaman Legends series.

Can't ask for more than that in a fighter.
>>
>>94124081
Kinda hard to make Star-Lord into an interesting fighting game character, he would either end up being Erron Black but with a hover or go full gimmick with the Element Gun, which isn't even how the Element Gun is usually portrayed.
>>
>>94123119
>reused sprites of 20 mutant characters
>add two more mutants and a Wolverine edit as the only new Marvel characters
>>
>>94122615
The only flaw it has that it features no Mega Man or X, otherwise it's has THE best selection of characters from both sides.

Especially with how underwhelming Infinite has to offer.
>>
>>94123700
Trish is great, get taste
>>
>>94122615
Muh functions
>>
>>94123819
Kys or actually play the game.
>>
>>94123119
MvC2 was fun, but a mess to play. The game's unbalanced as shit.
>>
>>94122692
Fuck you, this was before the movies. DnA Rocket Raccoon was an incredible character choice at the time.
>>
>>94125064
>Get taste
Says the man who took his from a dumpster.
>>
>>94124117
Don't forget that the reused sprites were actually downgraded from their original forms. Like look at how beautifully animated Children of the Atom Sentinel is then compare him to the jerky mess that is MvC2 Sentinel.
>>
>>94123700
>Tron
They should have brought her back for MvCI. At least then we would have more than 4 females in a game filled with something like 26 dudes.

She's a fun character to play and it isn't Street Fighter/Darkstalkers padding.
>>
>>94123819
But Akuma is superior to Ryu.
>>
>>94122615
Could've been a tad better (I would've liked someone else instead of X-23, maybe Cyclops for another X-Men rep, or Venom or something) but it was still pretty fucking amazing. Almost perfect balance between picks that everybody wanted and expected to be in the game and more obscure characters no one was really expected, on both sides.
>>
>>94123819
>If we have Ryu, why have Akuma?
Akuma is only a semi-clone and has always had a fair number of unique moves from Ryu, having a different playstyle and game plan. Also, he's series tradition.
>If we have Hulk, why have She-Hulk?
The two didn't even play alike. They had completely different movesets.
>If we have Wolverine, why have X-23?
I didn't care for X-23's inclusion but her moveset was completely different from Wolverine's too, and she actually did have some cool moves.

>>94123980
Fucking hope she's brought to Infinite someway. She was fun as fuck to play as.
>>
>>94127358
Seriously.... what's with the sausage fest with MvC:I? Given the current vidya climate, I excepted more chicks.
>>
>>94122615
give or take a few characters yeah. and the fact that MvCI is basically going to be this roster minus a third of the characters just makes me think they should've just added the newcomes & returning characters from MvC2 they were gonna add into infinite as DLC or part of a 3rd MvC3 revision
>>
>>94122615
Yes. Marvel 3 had a surprisingly good roster. Alot of people dislike it for no Megaman or that its smaller than Marvel 2, but remember they were working from the ground up. And given that, its a great roster, that also covered a ton of different franchises.
>>
>>94124116
He'd be more interesting than fucking Chris.
>>
It was OKAY.
>>
>>94122692
there was a time when the GotG name wasn't synonymous with retardation.

Ironically, it was around this time that normies like you screamed in REEEEEEEEEEEE that someone like Rocket was included instead of Cyclops,Venom or Gambit.
>>
>>94129042

Way to many people with guns
>>
>>94122701
Defiantly the best variety of characters
MvC2 was just full of X-Men, MvCI has no X-Men
But 3 has about enough of everyone compared to other rosters
Could use a Spidey villain though
And I would rather Cyclops, Rogue, or Gambit then X-23
But otherwise the roster feels like it represents Marvel without putting to much spotlight on one group
>>
>>94130714
Sexy helmet starlord would have been a better choice, but rocket does feel more like a wildcard choice
>>
>>94127292
Because X-COTA Sentinel was composed by several moving parts and they collapsed it into a single sprite for MvC2. They fucked even on the effects, the colorful Iron Man beams from MSH got recolored into drab aqua turds.
>>
>>94122997
Super Skrull is dope.
>>
>>94130714
The fighting games folks are always unable to move on, they'll REEEE their hearts out anytime a new character gets announced over a returning one. See: Every single Street Fighter 5 announcement that wasn't Sagat.
>>
>>94123700
Trish is fine, but I would rather Lady or Nero
>>
1. Iron Man
2. Captain America
3. Thor
4. Wolverine
5. Spider-Man
6. Magneto
7. Gambit
8. Sentry
9. Dr. Strange
10. Dr. Doom
11. Invisible Woman
12. Thanos
13. Venom
14. Iron Fist
15. Green Goblin
16. Storm
17. Deadpool
18. Ghost Rider
19. Punisher
20. Black Panther
21. Ms. Marvel (not the raghead one)
22. Ant-Man (Hank Pym)
23. Nova (Dick Rider)
24. Silver Surfer

best lineup
>>
>>94122692
Rocket was terrible, though. The only thing anyone used him for was an assist. Joke character.
>>
>>94131115
>>Dick Rider
This was never funny, never relevant, and never fails to make you look like a tryhard.
>>
>>94123819
>If we have Ryu, why have Akuma?
Because ever since Akuma was created he has been only a semi-clone of Ryu with a drastically different play style despite superficial similarities.
And he's been a part of the MvC series long before Ryu was. Not including him is a cardinal sin.
The other two comparisons don't even play remotely similar to each other. I didn't care for She-Hulk or X-23 either but they weren't Hulk and Wolverine clones.
It seems to me like you didn't even play the game

>>94131060
>they'll REEEE their hearts out anytime a new character gets announced over a returning one
Or, you know, it could just be that the new characters have been such lackluster additions that, if Ono is just going to give us garbage characters like Abigail, he might as well stop and just give us characters we actually want.
People love Rashid and Juri and they are new characters. Your strawman isn't as all-encompassing as you might think it is.

>Every single Street Fighter 5 announcement that wasn't Sagat.
Out of all the characters you could have picked you chose Sagat ?
The character who killed competitive vanilla SFIV ? And that to this day is still infamous as a scrub-friendly character that no one wants to deal with ?
Go on /v/ and ask around if they want Sagat to be in the game despite his status as a beloved badass and rival to Ryu.
He is my favorite character in fighting game history and even I don't want him in the game.
>>
>>94126661
He was only put in BECAUSE of the upcoming movie.
>>
>>94123536
I have read every appearance of the sentry.
He is garbage.

Golden Age of the Sentry notwithstanding he was a shit character from the get go, the very definition of a Mary Sue created by a marginal as hell writer with bs edgy drawback.
Hell, most of his appearances were written by fucking Bendis.

He is a character for powerlevel wankers, nothing more.
>>
>>94122615

Not bad, but it could have been way better
>Sentinel's sorry ass didn't need to take up a spot, Ultron should have debuted here
>Felica or Hisen-Ko could have been replaced by Talbain
>Not one single Mega Man for some reason
>Who cares about Shuma
>>
File: inafking.jpg (30KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
inafking.jpg
30KB, 480x360px
>>94132769
>Not one single Mega Man for some reason
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.