[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, how does /co/ feel about the recent IDW take over of Sonic?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 214
Thread images: 28

File: 2af (1).jpg (67KB, 680x868px) Image search: [Google]
2af (1).jpg
67KB, 680x868px
So, how does /co/ feel about the recent IDW take over of Sonic?
>>
Just give me a TMNT crossover and no ponyshit and I'll be good.
>>
File: 1459628817918.png (69KB, 139x160px) Image search: [Google]
1459628817918.png
69KB, 139x160px
Minorly concerned and full of questions.

Are they going to start from square one or pickup where Archie left off? Are they going to keep the SatAM characters or start their own setting? What about those obnoxious SEGA mandates that crippled Archie's writing in ways that left IDW leaps and bounds ahead of them in capacity for storytelling?

I don't know, it's too early to tell.
>>
>>94120099

Im thinking "Might be cool" but overall more curious.
>>
Can they do reprints of the Archie stuff? Would be a good time to finally collect the whole damn run in paperback omnis. Or would that entail paying the Penders?
>>
>>94120295
>Can they do reprints of the Archie stuff
unlikely
>would that entail paying the Penders?
yes
>>
>>94120183
Very likely starting over and for good reason. The current continuity is an uninteresting mess. I'm certain they'll ignore all the freedom fighter characters and stick with new or direct videogame characters only. Plus not wanting paying for theirs licencing.
>>
>>94120121
>not wanting a sanic/horse crossover issue entirely dedicated to mocking donut steels
>>
>>94120099
So anyone know entirely what caused the split between Archie/Sega. I know Penders started the ball rolling with his bullshit, but not much after that aside from hearing it was rocky.
>>
File: pendering.png (36KB, 1322x398px) Image search: [Google]
pendering.png
36KB, 1322x398px
>>94120424
>>
>>94120384
>The current continuity is an uninteresting mess
The opinion of someone with objectively shit taste.

>Plus not wanting paying for theirs licencing.
Retard, SEGA owns the Freedom Fighters, they don't pay for the rights to characters they already own. Not that that means they'll get used, but stop spouting factually incorrect bullshit.
>>
>>94120424
There had already been some bad blood even before then. There were several incidents where Archie rubbed Sega the wrong way, such as depictions of Sonic crying (including on the actual cover, which made Sega freak out). They were never huge fans of the Archie universe to begin with.

The Pendering is when shit really hit the fan, though. Archie handled it so poorly that it's not surprise Sega was looking for any excuse to cut ties with them.
>>
>>94120384
>Plus not wanting paying for theirs licencing.
The only characters they'd have to pay any kind of fee for would be Penders characters, which we know won't happen regardless. If IDW wants to use Sally, Bunnie, etc there's nothing stopping them, at least legally.

More than likely Sega will ask them not to. I think they'll see anything associated with Archie as baggage and just not want it around anymore.
>>
>>94120424

The ultimate split seems to be Archie giving up the licence because its a direction they don't want to go in anymore. Which is fucking stupid since it's still making them some money but who the fuck knows.
>>
>>94120531
Apparently their Riverdale gamble paid off and now that's their cash cow.
>>
>>94120121
Idw hates having to publish pony so there should not be a problem there.
>>
>>94120474
You would think comics companies would be more careful about protecting contracts from stuff like that.
Wasn't there some drama with bob kane and a flood.
>>
>>94120531
That rumor was, and continues to be, completely baseless, started by anti-Archie fags.

Archie had no choice in the matter, had fully complete comic books ready to publish, and two major anniversary issues right around the corner.

Any idiot should be able to understand this is completely SEGAs doing
>>
>>94120540
How? those trailers looked fucking terrible.
>>
Keep Ian, Keep SatAM, don't go insane with it like Fleetway and it should be good.
>>
>>94120597
It's getting good ratings. No idea if the show is any good but it's successful.
>>
>>94120099
the less of SATAM/archie shit the better. i'd rather have comics based on the games.

but like >>94120121 said give me a TMNT crossover and i'm golden i'd also be sold on this >>94120402 too.

>>94120474
>>94120577
what's the point of even having copies of contracts if they don't hold up in court?
>>
>>94120183
Even if IDW wanted to touch the old continuity, SEGA doesn't want to be reminded of the continuity that sued them multiple times.

If Penders and Fullop were to die then maybe.
>>
>>94120099
As long as the old Sat AM characters are still there, I'm golden.
>>
>>94120577
>>94120635
>what's the point of even having copies of contracts if they don't hold up in court?
I haven't seen that "they only produced copies of the contracts" anywhere besides that repost. The Lost Media Wiki and the Sonic Wiki both just say that Archie failed to produce the contracts.
>>
>>94120748
Yeah I think Sega's going to tell them not to use them.
>>
>>94120597
The show is actually not bad.
>>
>>94120683
Only the Old OLD continuity has elements that could trigger a lawsuit.

Everything after the first Pendering is all cleanly cut SEGA owned content. So theoretically they could just continue where they left off with not legal problems. Not that they will.
>>
>>94120796
I really fucking hate SEGA.

Both in and out of Sonic, they can't do anything fucking right these days outside Sonic Mania.
>>
File: orig[2].jpg (139KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
orig[2].jpg
139KB, 768x1024px
They don't know what they're missing.
>>
Sonic Boom sets up new grounds for another continuity so the autistic Archie shit can be finally discarded
>>
>>94120820
SEGA's done nothing wrong in regards to the comic & it's unknown whether or not the FFs are gonna be retired (especially since it was said that SEGA wants the comic to be its own thing). If SEGA's changed their minds about the Freedom Fighters, they'll likely be kept around.
>>
>>94120783
regardless of archie's incompetence even after penders won you'd figure sega would've shot him down in a followup court case.
>>
As long as Sonic Mega Drive is properly finished they can do what they want
>>
>>94120820
>shittier sonic 3
>doing something right
I dont get the htpe for mania
>>
File: 250px-TheGloaming-iloveyou.jpg (27KB, 250x252px) Image search: [Google]
250px-TheGloaming-iloveyou.jpg
27KB, 250x252px
So IDW has Sonic

Should we be expecting a lot of gay? IDW usually does a lot of gay.
>>
>>94120925
Nice shitpost
>>
>>94120882
>sega would've shot him down in a followup court case
He'd have to actually do something for Sega to take action. To date Penders still hasn't produced anything.
>>
>>94120954
Its not a shitpost. Mania looks like a shitty fangame.
>>
>>94120971
Because he knows that as a man whos whole work was knockoffs he doesnt have a leg to stand on for other people making knockoffs
>>
>>94120937

Probably Rotor being more open about his sexuality (I'm not kidding. Look it up)
>>
>>94120937
I'm pretty sure Sega would shoot that down.
>>
>>94121001
Rotor being gay was only an idea Penders had that never made it into the comic. As for anything gay appearing, it would all most likely have to be approved by SEGA, who always have the last say in what does or doesn't appear in Sonic media.
>>
>>94121001
As Ken Penders has "plot ideas" in his list of copyright, Archie was advised it could not do parallel universes and Flynn mentioned, implicitly, that even if he did this it was appropriate to have a gay character in the comic, Ken claiming that he made Rotor gay makes him the last likely candidate for actually being made gay.
>>
>>94120840
honestly if they HAVE to use a cartoon i'd rather it be boom over SATAM because at least the boom cartoon is good.

SATAM is overrated and is partially responsible for why the sonic fandom is shit. the less of those OCs the better

>>94120925
it's part of sega's revival for sonic...

>mania is for the people who wanted a 2D sonic game and whined about it since sonic adventure.

>force is for the people who like the 3D games and complain how sonic is "boring" without his friends taking up 90% of the screentime

...and whatever one sells more is probably going to dictate the direction of the series going forward.
>>
>>94120992
I don't think Ken is that self-aware. A more likely explanation is that he's just too lazy to do anything.
>>
>>94120783
From what those wikis say there were TWO lawsuits. One against SEGA and EA for Sonic Chronicles, and another against Archie for using his echidna OCs. The one against SEGA and EA is based on Penders' belief that the villain's backstory was based on one of his comic stories; that lawsuit got thrown out.

The one against Archie, however, is the one where they couldn't find Penders' original contract. Since they couldn't produce the contract, they settled with him and rebooted the continuity.

>>94120882
>>94120971
If he ever actually publishes the Lara Su Chronicles, he owns the COPYRIGHT to those characters, which is textual stuff like their names and backstories (sans Sonic-related elements) but SEGA could slap him with TRADEMARK infringement. He would have to completely redesign their physical appearance so that they don't look like Knuckles knock-offs.
>>
>>94120796
Why would they do that? Theres no legal issues with SatAM characters
>>
>>94121054
But sonic is boring. Its fun to play in differing styles and they dont take up all the screentime.

Maybe im just boased because my first sanic game was sonic advance 3. Followed by heroes
>>
>>94121054
Iizuka said that Mania is gonna be important in determining the future of Sonic, as they weren't so sure there was gonna be a market for the Classic games when they first showed off Mania. If anything, I could see Classic & Modern Sonic becoming two branches of the franchise, especially if both games sell well.
>>
>>94121087
Sega fuckong hates them
>>
>>94121106
They do?
>>
>>94120978
>Mania looks like a shitty fangame.
Yeah anon, sure this isn't a shitpost
>>
>>94121110
I calls em like i sees em. It looks like a worse sonic 3.

>>94121106
Yes.
>>
>>94120099

I'm fine with it. As long as Penders never works again I'm fine. the main thing is Sonic still has a comic after Archie kept fucking it all up.
>>
>>94121110
Don't reply to him
>>
>>94121054
Ok lets clear something up.

1. The Freedom Fighters are only tangibly from SATAM because that's simply what they were best known for, they are technically from the US Sonic Bible of the early 90s and appeared in things (like the Archie comics) before the cartoon even debut

2. IF they appeared in the IDW comic they would not be tangibly from SATAM, they would be sourced from the modern Archie canon. They would probably be redesigned and have backstory/elements changed, but no question is the comics would be where they're sourced.

So stop letting your hateboner for an old cartoon make you say silly things.
>>
>>94120099

I hope this whole fiasco has taught /co/ just why DC and Marvel own all the characters writers create for them.
>>
>>94121108
Yeah because its an anerican invention
>>
File: 5eGuBuo.jpg (25KB, 245x204px) Image search: [Google]
5eGuBuo.jpg
25KB, 245x204px
>>94121123
>>
>>94121119
>As long as Penders never works again I'm fine.

How exactly is he able to publish "The Lara-Su Chronicles" without the Sonic license?

It's clearly Knuckles involved in the story.
>>
>>94120597

Hot teenage bitches. Who knew, right?
>>
>>94121123
Sorry i dont think 2d sanic is the single greatest games ever. Forces looks a lot more fun desu
>>
>>94121135
It was already proven that SoJ grew to like the Freedom Fighters & that Naoto Ohshima loved SatAM.

>>94121150
Okay I'm looking forward to Forces too, but get better bait. Both games look fun.
>>
>>94121144
You mean k'nuckles the e'kyd'na
>>
>>94121166
If that legitimately works then I think Sega's lawyers aren't trying hard enough.
>>
>>94121162
I am not baiting. I honestly am not hyped for mania and do not see the appeal
>>
>>94121174
If you're not hyped for Mania, that's fine. But you calling it a shitty fangame without really explaining what you don't like about it is not gonna help people see these as anything other than shitposts.
>>
>>94121174
The appeal being genuine new 2D Sonic game with gameplay many people grew up loving and prefer to the 3D games. If that doesn't appeal to you then it's likely that's just not your thing video game wise.
>>
>>94121197
Yeah i guess i have fallen into that mindset. I said on here before that i didnt think mania looked as interesting as forces and got labled a troll so i kinda just leaned into that. Sorry man.
>>
>>94121201
I still dont quite get it but ok
>>
File: Lara_su_profile.png (738KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Lara_su_profile.png
738KB, 1024x768px
>>94121144
>How exactly is he able to publish "The Lara-Su Chronicles" without the Sonic license?
We'll know once he actually publishes something. All these years later and he still hasn't actually done anything. He can probably get away with Lara-Su and the various Ech'ydnas or whatever the fuck he renamed them to, but he is pretty blatantly using Knuckles and trying to pass him off as Not Knuckles (to the point of having the character actually be nicknamed Knuckles and describing said nickname without actually mentioning it) and that's what's probably going to bring Sega's hammer down on him, if he ever gets off his ass and publishes anything.
>>
>>94121258
I'd love it if the Lara-Su Chronicles becomes /co/s Grimoire
>>
File: Courage internet.jpg (136KB, 475x356px) Image search: [Google]
Courage internet.jpg
136KB, 475x356px
>>94121269
I have no idea what that means
>>
>>94121090
while i'm fine with sonic having a core supporting cast in tails, knuckles & amy. my major problems with the over saturation of sonic's supporting cast are...

A) that alot of them don't really play different from sonic or aren't very interesting to play mechanic wise

B) alot of them are unnecessary plotwise and do nothing but take the focus away from sonic turning him into a guest star in his own series and the ones that aren't unnecessary eventually are in the next game they're in

C) alot of them just aren't interesting as characters either

>inb4 "muh worldbuilding" or "muh supporting cast"

...if this was something other than sonic i'd agree with you but i feel less is more when it comes to sonic's friends
>>
>>94121284
https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36046

It won't happen of course but it'd be hilarious
>>
>>94121258
>K'Nox
Oh come on Ken
>AKA by nickname acquired as a young lad due to the unusual bone structure of his hands
Why does he even do this? Is he just not able to let go and has to keep pretending this is somehow the same continuity? I can't think of any reason for him to do this "I'm not gonna call him Knuckles but just so you know he's called Knuckles" shit.
>>
>>94121284
Grimoire is a video game that a turbo-autist has been working on for 20 years. He's supposedly releasing it "soon," but nobody believes him.
>>
>>94121258
>>94121144
As Pender's entire "planned comic" was a fraud to sue for potential lost profits had Archie unwittingly breached one of his copyrights, it's likely that now Ken will quietly wind down any fake plans for a comic since the chance of a big lawsuit payday are basically nil now.
>>
>>94120597
Didja watch it?

It's actually pretty decent.
>>
File: Patrick.jpg (37KB, 479x349px) Image search: [Google]
Patrick.jpg
37KB, 479x349px
>>94120840
>>
>>94121355
It's been a while since he's talked about it or posted some kind of profile or preview art or anything so you're probably right. Apparently his website's gone now, too.
>>
File: penders.png (82KB, 587x637px) Image search: [Google]
penders.png
82KB, 587x637px
>>94121355
>>94121447
Nah, Ken is still planning on going all the way with this thing, He even says when he wants to release it.
>>
>>94121469
He talking actual job or that delusional furry base propping him up?
>>
File: Lien-Da_Promo_1_Small.jpg (213KB, 373x800px) Image search: [Google]
Lien-Da_Promo_1_Small.jpg
213KB, 373x800px
>>94121469
Well I'll believe it when I see it, he's done this "it's almost ready, I even hired a guy!" thing before. That's how we got these awful 3D renders.
>>
>>94121054
>because at least the boom cartoon is good
I get it's partlly being contrarian but people need to stop riding Boom's dick so hard. The cartoon is fun but it's still incredibly bare, and just cause they're "absolute madmen" with the references and jokes doesn't make up for the lack of anything to really make it a strong cartoon or even setting. It's working, but I feel it's the same kind of thing where people put AoSTH on a pedestal just because it's a comedy.
>>
>>94120183
>What about those obnoxious SEGA mandates
oh yes, so obnoxious. "If a character isn't the kind to cry, don't depict them bawling, have just some tearing and looking sad".

Why, if I didn't know better, I'd think the readership of this comic was autistic, considering they can only register emotion if shown in the most extremely stereotyped way possible!
>>
>>94121562
I've been watching Boom since it first started airing and I've seen a lot more people hyping it up in recent months (guessing it's to do with Mania/Forces and a renewed interest in Sonic).

But Sonic Boom is legitimately a very funny and well-written cartoon. Only real complaints are that the CGI takes a while to get used to and any liquids in the show still look awful.
>>
>>94121513
jesus it's like that whatever 60 made by that man thing from gamer gate
>>
Sonic Boom is basically an animated version of the countless 'Gaming Webcomics' you see online, right down the the Doofy yet straight man protagonist, Big Guy best friend, Tech Nerd and Mom girl of the group.

It's humor is almost identical, except instead of topical gaming references it's all the sidefluff and meta humor they cram in to those things + Sonic references.

Not that it's bad, but not amazing in any way.
>>
>>94121130
>they are technically from the US Sonic Bible of the early 90s
Source on this? I'm not doubting you, but I'd be interested to read more into this.
>>
>>94121942
Only Sally, really.
>>
>>94121975
Oh, so you're just talking about the thing where they localised the names of Sonic's little animal friends. Then it's wrong to say that "the Freedom Fighters" come from some US Sonic Bible, because basically all that carried over were the names.

And here I was interested to see the FF given a little more legitimacy. You got my hopes up.
>>
>>94122221
I'm not the same anon, anon. Just mentioning that as far as I recall, the FF were made for SatAM, except for Sally who already existed.
>>
It's in good hands.

Just get some other Sega IPs after this and we're golden.
>>
File: 1202946094509.jpg (15KB, 320x242px) Image search: [Google]
1202946094509.jpg
15KB, 320x242px
>>
>>94120099
Why the fuck so many people make a big deal about Sonic comic books?
>>
>>94121469
>>94121493
>>94121513
The fact that he said voice acting "contest" instead of "audition" is all the proof I need that it's horseshit.
>>
>>94123443
Some folks are so deluded that I just feel sad for them. Penders on the other hand doesn't get sympathy because he's not only deluded but also arrogant .

IDW starting over nearly from scratch or using Sonic Boom as a launch point is a blessing.
>>
>>94121023
Like any permanent romance regarding the actual Sega characters.
Though I guess they are gonna milk that Shadow/Rouge/Knuckles triangle.
>>
At worst it'll be mediocre writing and good art before dying out.
At best they'll keep many of the past comic characters in minor roles, print the unpublished Archie issues, and make their own series with new writers.

The only real downside is we might never see Antoine or Bunnie again in any context, which is a shame, they were cute side characters.
>>
>>94121469
But that's over 500 dollars per 12 pages.
If you do more than one comic a month (most writers) you're making similar money since you're doing about 1/4 the work. That's barely an improvement.

Shit, Ken only did two episodes. Isn't 50 dollars a page for a decade better and more consistent than two months at most of 8K a month? Dude's anecdote doesn't even make sense, he was being screwed harder by Mike Judge than Goldwater.
>>
>>94120384
I actually agree with this. Almost the entire reboot arc was setup, and dull setup at that. There were a couple cute stories and some neat ideas IDW could crib, but Archie was only just getting to anything good. The pacing was so bad that we've lost effectively nothing but a bunch of character designs and proper nouns.

Like, is anyone really upset they won't be seeing Dulcy's China Team or the literal Sonic Recolor Squad again? Some of the Egg Bosses, Breezie's reinterpretation, Baucus being redone as a troll, I get missing that, but the few decent ideas aren't that big of a loss.
>>
>>94121041
>As Ken Penders has "plot ideas" in his list of copyright, Archie was advised it could not do parallel universes

You can't copyright ideas. Only expression.
>>
>>94125161

This guy fucks with IP law
>>
>>94120474
Someone needs to animate this stuff.
>>
>>94123239
Cause people like things, and a comic that's run by a relatively known company and that's also been running for almost 25 years that is also based off a beloved franchise is going to build up people who care about it whether it's something someone thinks deserves it or not.
>>
were the archie sonic comics the longest run a licensed series has ever had?
>>
>IDW has Sonic
> Sonic vs Blurr vs technicolor equine
>>
>>94121269
>>94121284
>/co/s Grimoire

Classic style RPG that has been in the works since 1997. Said to be announced this year, but the last date passed already.

Think Half Life 3.
>>
>>94122256
"Sally" was the localized name for "Ricky"
>>
>>94120099
Curious. They didn't indicate at all of what the book will be like, which makes it more interesting.

I will admit that the idea of a brand new take on a Sonic comic intrigues me more than just continuing where Archie Sonic was or rebooting with the cartoon characters again.
>>
>>94124965

I'm pretty upset. The other freedom fighter teams and the egg bosses looked like they had a lot of potential. The world has just finished getting fleshed out.

It would be a crying shame not to just redo this current soft reboot into a hard one.
>>
>>94120635
>the less of SATAM/archie shit the better. i'd rather have comics based on the games.
It's called Sonic Megadrive, and it's getting cancelled because of this too. You would know this if you actually followed the comic, but I know you're just here to shit on the comic because STOPLIKINGWHATIDONTLIKE.

>>94121134
So did Archie, they just rolled a 1 in court with the judge they had, and were forced to settle by Sega.
>>
>>94125232
>This guy fucks with IP law

Not really. He fucks with contract law. As >>94121084 mentions, the ideas suit was thrown out. This actually happens a lot in hollywood when someone pitches an idea to a studio, and then ten years later the studio releases a similar movie. The person accusing them of stealing the idea never ever wins because of the idea/expression dichotomy in US copyright law.
>>
File: IMG_1423.jpg (325KB, 647x885px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1423.jpg
325KB, 647x885px
>>94125540
two things:

1) the last date hasn't passed yet. allegedly it's being released August 1th.

2) Grimore has some interesting ideas and nice classic PC looking art. Lara-Su looks like a dumpster fire while hyped as game changer by egotist who, while he's definitely got some talent, sucks balls when working unfiltered and without oversight. this isn't /co/'s Grimorie, it's /co/'s Daikatana
>>
>>94127587
>while he's definitely got some talent, sucks balls when working unfiltered and without oversight.
in the context of this conversation his talent doesn't really shine through at all. his writing is hacky, convoluted, and overly derivative. his characters lack defined personality and their motivations are muddled and confusing. and his art refuses to be consistent with itself.
>>
>>94124857
He's done this "n-no, being fired wasn't a bad thing, because now I'm doing something big!" thing before. After he left Archie he said it was their loss because now he was working on a major movie with REAL Hollywood stars!

Turns out to have been a laughably amateurish attempt to make a dystopian political thriller (with his preview here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZXrNCxY7-E) and the "real Hollywood stars" he was talking about was actually singular: Sean Young, who hasn't been a bankable star in decades largely because like Penders she has a tendency to be difficult to work with and burned almost all bridges she had in Hollywood.

In true Penders fashion he never finished it.
>>
>>94127587
>while he's definitely got some talent
Citation needed
>>
>>94127587
>he's definitely got some talent

I loathe that people shit on Ken without reading his comics and would prefer they form their own opinions, but I have to disagree with only two exceptions.

The man has no creative talent. Even when paired with other people he has never managed to overcome the low end of mediocrity. All he has to offer as a writer is endless regurgitation of comics he read as a kid without proper structure or conclusions. He's also completely incompetent as an artist on his own, as he just copies what he sees; he doesn't understand structure or form or style or conveyance.

The guy's only talent is in inking. He does a great job with it, but even then he needs to be supervised as he has a history of redrawing pencils while inking. The only other thing of value approaching talent he has is the ability to force people to be creative. By repeating the same ideas in media where it doesn't fit, other writers have to get creative to make his vague concepts work.

That's it. That's all he has to offer. Decent inks and a challenge for writers.
>>
File: IMG_1424.jpg (70KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1424.jpg
70KB, 512x512px
>>94127953
>>94128093
well he MUST have some talent otherwise he wouldn't have been the main writer for the comic... i mean look at him. those are obviously some fine dick-suckin' lips.
>>
File: 1453896293869.jpg (69KB, 640x628px) Image search: [Google]
1453896293869.jpg
69KB, 640x628px
>>94120121
>Sanic and ponyshit crossover
The autism would be at levels which we've never witnessed before. The horrifying pornography and shit posting would be unending.
>>
File: 1500434817062.gif (557KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1500434817062.gif
557KB, 400x400px
>>94120121
>Sonic x Ponyshit
That's
Going
Even
Further
Beyond
>>
>>94125540
>>94121297
Reminds me of Dark Presence:
http://www.gallopingghostproductions.com/dark_presence/index.html
>>
>>94128473
>otherwise he wouldn't have been the main writer for the comic...
But he wasn't, and that's part of why he skedaddled.

He got to run the comic with Kanerovich for about five issues while editorial set up the plans for the next two years. He then did backups for nearly a fucking decade. Then, when LITERALLY everyone else left, the editor gave him a list of stories to write and plotholes to fill. After about a year of this he finally said to one of the editor's demands and was told he was going back to backups while a college student without a single story to his name was taking over as lead. And he got butthurt and quit.

Despite working there for years, keeping the fandom alive by interacting with readers constantly, and boosting himself within said fandom, he was never "the guy." He was cheap, consistent labor who the staff kept around because he met deadlines. I think deep down he understands this. His constant need to aggrandize his work is a way to justify spending a decade working for a company that never cared about him.
>>
>>94128820
>And he got butthurt and quit.
What I love about this is that he thought that by quitting, Archie would suddenly be remorseful and go "no please we need you, come back, we'll even make you head writer, this comic is nothing without you!"

Instead they said "yeah good luck, you know the way out."
>>
>>94120099
Why do so many people want a continuation of the Archie line? I know some people are obsessed with those characters but a continuation just sounds like a huge mess.

Starting clean would be way more preferable
>>
>>94120402
>Sonic and Equestronauts join forces to stop a horde of hideous half-baked copies who turn out to be made by a thinly-veiled allegory for DeviantArt
10/10 would buy three copies.
>>
>>94129406
The Archie line recently did a reboot, so a lot of the convolution would be avoided.
>>
>>94121562
There really isn't as much hype for Sonic Boom as you seem to be making, it's a perfectly good comedy cartoon that unfortunately only seems to get talked about when they do make those reference jokes.

I'll take that Sonic's personality over so many other variations though.
>>
>>94129484
The Boom games pretty much ensured the Boom name would never get widespread popularity.
>>
>>94129535
I only know of the first one, Rise of lyric or something like that, was there another one?
>>
>>94129406
>Why do so many people want a continuation of the Archie line?
Because they were Archie Sonic fans?

Personally, I want a completely different experience than what Archie Sonic gave, but it's not hard to see why fans of Sonic comics aren't thrilled with the idea of having another reboot or the Archie-exclusives going away.
>>
>>94129460
>Equestronauts
Now I'm slightly curious to see what the Sonic version of a horse would look like. And no, Sean Connery doesn't count.
>>
>>94123493
>using Sonic Boom as a launch point is a blessing.
I never thought of that, that could actually be really fun if they kept the same dynamic with Eggman
>>
>>94129571
I can understand that much but they seem to think any option that isn't just the Archie line is doomed to failure.

Like there's no option but continuing the story with all the same characters.
>>
>>94129554
There were two for the 3DS, one of them released at the same time as Rise of Lyric. It was considered the better of the two but still not very good, and the second one was considered an improvement but still not great. The problem is that the main console game was so bad that both of the 3DS games would need to be absolutely stellar in order to redeem the Boom name.
>>
File: 1459526596661.png (1MB, 1084x816px) Image search: [Google]
1459526596661.png
1MB, 1084x816px
>>94129675
Rest in peace

You'd think it'd be pretty easy to make a good game but I seem to be proven wrong constantly.
>>
>>94129741
Sega has had a lot of trouble adapting Sonic to the post-Genesis era. Granted Boom was a third party studio, but I think the problem with Sonic games overall is that they keep trying to reinvent it rather than stick to what works. They've never quite gotten a handle on translating Sonic to 3D, a few games had the right idea for gameplay and were a step in the right direction but Sega keeps either ignoring what they got right or making it worse in an awkward attempt to improve it.
>>
>>94120121
>Sonic x Ponyshit
I'm genuinely curious about the autism that would be unleashed onto our sinful earth.
Why not add Homestuck to the fray as well?
Imagine the possibilities.
>>
>>94129868
Speaking as a ponyfag, I kinda want to see it. The comics are trash anyway. Let's attempt something crazy and burn the house down.
>>
>>94129648
They believe that the Freedom Fighters (and other Archie characters) carry just as much weight as the game characters when it comes to success of the comics. And that if they are gone, people will drop the book in droves.
>>
>>94120183
my assumption is they'll be starting from the beginning, hard to say if any SATAM or Archie characters will make it over at least in the beginning, but there definitely will be new characters not from the games because while I'm of the opinion that SEGA won't be as restrictive with IDW than they were with Archie for most of the last decade, it'll still be easier to do anything lasting with non game characters that actually matters from a story standpoint

>>94124965
on the other hand odds are that Ian Flynn will end up in charge of IDW Sonic since he still has a strong relationship with SEGA and already does work for IDW, so I wouldn't be surprised if he just recycles a lot of his Archie concepts, especially since there's no legal issues surrounding anything he thought up that involves characters who survived the Pendering and/or were introduced after it

>>94125600
my guess is they only finalized the deal within the last month or so, so they don't really have anything set in stone, which is one of the reasons they aren't launching till next year
>>
So do you guys want Flynn onboard to be the lead writer once again or not
>>
>>94130332
I wouldn't be opposed to it but we've had him for over a decade and I'm ready to see someone new take the reigns and see what they can do.
>>
>>94121135
That's retarded logic because SEGA was founded by an American. The genesis of the company is fucking American
>>
>>94130332
>Onboard
Yes.
>Lead
Fuck no.
>>
>>94120328
IDW already reprints Archie TMNT and Marvel Transformers stuff. Shouldn't be a problem.
>>
>>94130588
It's not terribly difficult to get publishing rights from a company with defunct rights and considering it's highly unlikely Archie ever gets the sonic license again I can see them selling the rights of all their books to IDW
>>
>>94130332
On one hand, he is the most qualified. On the other hand, I'd love to see some new writers get a shot.

I say he should be onboard with a few other writers.
>>
>>94130546
Yeah but it was quickly moved to Japan shortly after.
Also when people say America, wasn't it really Hawaii? More like Japan's favorite vacation destination.
>>
>>94120099
Who cares? Sonic's a shitty franchise filled with shitty characters manned by shitty people in a shitty company.
>>
>>94131073
k
>>
>>94129406
I just want a proper story conclusion. after all these years.
>>
>>94129842
If they picked one good style and built on it they could probably make it work, but they keep restarting every fucking game.

I don't like Jim Sterling but he made an AMAZING video about it.
>>
>>94125799
They had years to get their paperwork in order. They could have probably gotten Ken to resign his paperwork while he was working with them as he wasn't quite out of his head then.

Their lawyer was fresh out of school. And Sega lawyers probably cost a pretty penny for Archie.

Nobody forced them to keep selling old reprints. Especially considering they knew damn well the characters had drama around them.

Say what you will about the whole ordeal, but for once Sega did not fuck up.
>>
>>94130332
Not as lead. Ian was alright but its time for a bit of spice. Also would prefer if archie was completely gone and instead got some newer OCs for sonic to bounce off.

Archieverse for me died at 252. Most of the fun came from watching Ian work magic on the decades old shitfest.
>>
>>94120838
how in the FUCK DID PENDERS GET WORSE?!

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/889166536887238656
>>
>>94130907
Mostly because it's closer than the mainland
>>
File: 3b6.gif (1MB, 280x393px) Image search: [Google]
3b6.gif
1MB, 280x393px
>>94131958
Magic.
>>
>>94131958
Friend of a guy who was friends with a new editor. The editor (Scott Fulop) put him and his friend (Mike Kanterovich) on fill in duty.

Mike's a nice guy and has written some decent comics. The Funeral of Dr. Octopus story he did for Marvel is actually really good
>>
File: 1500931556897.jpg (145KB, 569x800px) Image search: [Google]
1500931556897.jpg
145KB, 569x800px
There's no better Sonic design that Classic Son-
>>
>>94131958
>>94132228
Fucking Chris Chan Levels of Autism.
>>
>>94132228
It's not as funny without the misplaced heavy rendering.
>>
>Be Penders
>Presumably broke, depressed because you lost your job making Sanic comics for Archie
>Decide to sue Sega and Archie
>Win (sort of)
>Decide to a donut steel comic with characters are clearly violating Sega's IP
>Get the pants sued off of you, your house taken, etc.
What did he mean by this?
>>
File: lien-da promo 2.jpg (37KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
lien-da promo 2.jpg
37KB, 640x480px
>>94132073
Girl of your dreams
>>
File: IMG_1551.jpg (176KB, 711x917px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1551.jpg
176KB, 711x917px
>>
>>94132729
>Preumably broke
His wife is a lawyer and rich as fuck.

Life isn't fair sometimes.
>>
>>94130588
Neither comic had a pissy manchild threaten legal action over shitty ripoff OCs.
>>
>>94134148
This. At most they'll reprint the post-reboot stuff, but anything that has Ken's touch is going to be out of bounds.
>>
>>94132887
Is Sonic going to lose a race with Flash?
>>
>>94131666
From their perspective, of course not. But forcing Archie to settle rather than appeal just handed ownership of a bunch of Knuckles re-colors over to someone outside of Team Sonic. They just opened the door for other autists to come along and make Sonic recolor OC's and claim ownership of that shit. From a legal standpoint, they just watered down their IP like a motherfucker. The person at fault here is the judge who handed Penders a win for no logical reason, when courts across the country accept photocopied contracts all the time.
>>
>>94134876
Sega mandates Sonic can't loose, Flash loses on principal, muh attoseconds.
:^)
>>
>>94135478
As I heard it some of the photocopies weren't even signed.

Future OC authors still can't do shit beyond fair use unless they duplicate the archie conditions under sega/idw/whoever. But those companies aren't that inept.

And technically speaking, what happened with ken/archie happens all the time (a bit less retarded) with other partnerships. Partners end up joint owning certain assets from works derived under the license. Prime example is fleetway stuff (legal fuzzy area) and I want to say the OVA characters.
>>
>>94129571

I liked the world they made for the post reboot. It was finally something coherent that I could latch onto and was ready for more. They could make that world with its cast in a reboot with no regards to the pre reboot world and I'd be with them down pat.
>>
>>94135571
WHY THE FUCK DID FLASH TRUST ZOOM AT FUCKING ALL?

The dumbest shit.
>>
>>94120549
Really? I'd never heard that.
>>
File: b52 (4).png (93KB, 187x293px) Image search: [Google]
b52 (4).png
93KB, 187x293px
>>94131073
>>
File: fa0.jpg (41KB, 453x604px) Image search: [Google]
fa0.jpg
41KB, 453x604px
>>94132298
>>
>>94132298
>>94136672
Shit Wrong one.
>>
>>94120549
Source: your ass.
>>
>>94120099
who is this?
>>
File: mShfHD9.jpg (215KB, 533x800px) Image search: [Google]
mShfHD9.jpg
215KB, 533x800px
>>
>>94136873
Ken Penders.
>>
>>94130709
Archie never actually owned anything of the Sonic comics. They just had production and North American distribution rights. The Sonic comics and everything created for them has always been owned by Sega, and when the series got exported to Europe, Sega distributed it in-house without paying Archie a cent.
>>
>>94121646
Yeah, anyone who says Sonic Boom is outright amazing is completely delusional. Pretty much anything on /co/ that happens to be better than expectations or have a funny reference every now and again is ridiculously over-rated.
>>
>>94120099
At least IDW is fully aware not to do business with Penders. Unlike Shout Factory, who commissioned Penders to draw the box art for their SatAM DVD set (which is actually pictured in the lower right of that image), because the only thing they knew about him was that he worked on the comic at one point.
>>
>>94137391
I don't watch cartoons anymore, but I currently have a 7 year old visiting so I'm watching a lot of cartoons while watching her.
Sonic Boom is the only thing i've seen that can even make me laugh, even when the joke isn't a reference. What cartoons are you even comparing this too cause everything else seems really shit tier.
I'm not saying it's overrated or not though.
>>
File: tumblr_o3srwn4azX1ubea57o1_500.png (561KB, 467x724px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o3srwn4azX1ubea57o1_500.png
561KB, 467x724px
>>94132887
I guess I'm missing it. Am I supposed to be triggered by something in that picture? Books are allowed to have lighthearted and somber moments.
>>
>>94137808
I don't know, do you expect me to believe that Batman grew up without ever eating pizza in his life until he met 4 turtles from a sewer?
>>
>>94137868
What about that panel implied Batman has never eaten pizza before? He simply said "It's good."
>>
>>94137868
He did travel the world with the intent of hardening himself without knowing pleasure until he was in his late 20s
>>
>>94120099
>office
>looks clearly like a bar
I have my doubts.
>>
>>94137926
His hand gesture and general body language.
>>
>>94120513
I'd be entirely cool with the core Freedom Fighter cast just living on as characters without their baggage/backstory. Just let em hang out
>>
So Joe Hughes is gonna be the editor of the new Sonic comic. Any opinions on any of his work?
>>
>>94138258
This I feel would be the best possible choice, just reintroduce them in a new context ala Sonic Boom.
>>
So are "expanded universe" characters from the cartoons and comics allowed? What about the obscure game characters like Nack or Mighty?
>>
File: honey render.png (1MB, 1024x1559px) Image search: [Google]
honey render.png
1MB, 1024x1559px
I have one question

CAN THEY USE HONEY
>>
>>94138422

Any character to ever be in a game is good. Including Boom.

Cartoons should be okay, in theory.

Comics...maybe post reboot stuff. Pre-reboot is probably gone for good.
>>
>>94138422
>>94138440
SEGA owns them, so yea.
>>
>>94137731
I'm not saying it's a bad show or anything, just that it's far from amazing. Like 60-80% of the show is fairly forgettable despite the well written joke or reference.
>>
>>94137808
i think its just a super condensed showing of how out there and esoteric comics can be
is anything its a good thing
>>
>>94138440
You know it bb
>>
Remember that one time Penders drew foot fetish artwork for a contest winner then talked about how it symbolized the Democratic party?
>>
If I want to get into sonic comics where do I start?
>>
>>94140065
IDK, I just looked at a bunch of lore on the wiki and got interested from there?
>>
>>94140134
Mainly I just want to know if its worthwhile to read the entirety of the main comic, or just when Ian Flynn took over.
>>
>>94140227
You should check it out.

Starts out bad but gets better over time.
>>
File: sonic reading.png (644KB, 900x4000px) Image search: [Google]
sonic reading.png
644KB, 900x4000px
>>94140227
If you want to start from the beginning, just read until it starts
>>
>>94140411
>Starts out bad but gets better over time.

Then gets bad again. They gets better. Then gets AWFUL. Then gets decent and then good and has been coasting at rather good since
>>
File: archiesonictimeline.png (1MB, 1600x1100px) Image search: [Google]
archiesonictimeline.png
1MB, 1600x1100px
>>94140065
Somebody asked in a previous thread. I'll just repost.

General consensus is depending on how much time you want to put into it, so you have three options:

You can start at the beginning and follow the chart, I think there is a more updated one, but I don't have it. Continue going until you can't stomach it anymore, then skip to 160 or 171. First 20 or so issues are mostly silly/fun stories, starts getting progressively more serious in tone as it goes on. Around the time the adventure tie in starts (around 80ish) is where there is a consensus that the series quality starts to degrade and get progressively worse, so most people don't recommend them. If you stuck around for the Knuckles series, then makes sure you read Return to Angel Island (138-141 i think) as it's a good deconstruction of that series and it's kinda hilarious as it pokes fun at it, but it's still a nice story all things considered).

160 or 171 is also a good starting point. It's when the then current writer came on board. The issues between that gap I posted is general clean up of past stories from writers that they never finished, so it can be a bit confusing at times as there is ALOT of continuity that is going to fly over your head, but it still lays a foundation of what the comic has been through, so if you are curious you can read those issues (163-170) in between.

The reboot starts at 252 because of legal issues from past writers and you can read the sister series for Sonic Universe as it releases along side it, which are stories that don't focus on Sonic divided into 4 part story arcs. You can also read the first sonic/mega man crossover. You don't need any knowledge of the past sonic stories to read it, but make sure you follow the order, as that was the order the issues were released.
>>
>>94140637
>>94140411
>>94140443
Thanks all.
>>
>>94140767
You're welcome desu.
Thread posts: 214
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.