[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is he a shitty nemesis?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

File: Doomsday_by_Tom_Fleming.png (856KB, 525x640px) Image search: [Google]
Doomsday_by_Tom_Fleming.png
856KB, 525x640px
>>
>>94087719
he was a rampaging plot device, then later he was given powers and a history to make him able to come back again and again, he's only well known because of hype, he's not even close to being Superman's arch nemesis
>>
>>94088630
Pretty much. No dialogue aside from grunts/shouts/growls, no motivation aside from "destroy anything moving", etc...

And after the whole Death of Superman thing, since he had 'adapted/evolved' to be immune to Superman-level strength damage, he was pretty much just a mobile disaster area that had to have diverted or distracted until the heroes could magic/technobable him somewhere they didn't care about to trap him.
>>
>>94087719
Doomsday's character is simply "big dumb monster that is really strong and can beat up Superman". I hate him and he is honestly the worst out of Superman's rogues gallery, just pure garbage
>>
>>94088630
>rampaging plot device

Pretty much this. He's like Grundy in that he serves mostly as a distraction for whoever he's fighting, but lacks any real agency for himself with few exceptions.
>>
>>94087719
Of course
Doomsday is a terrible character

In fact he is barely a character
>>
Doomsday would be an excellent villain if he had a personality and goal.
>>
>>94087719
Of all the shit the 90's produced, he will always be the worst in my eyes.
>>
File: 1499393058727.jpg (42KB, 706x494px) Image search: [Google]
1499393058727.jpg
42KB, 706x494px
Can somebody storytime Death of Superman?
>>
>>94089713
I don't know if it's Storytime of Paint worthy. Maybe Storytime of Mediocrity.
>>
>>94087719
He's not even really a nemesis, he's just a big dumb monster who endured more than he had to because of the hype surrounding his deed and the importance he had as a plot device to achieve it.
Kind of like Bane except Bane wasn't dumb and at least gained some character since then.
>>
What's kinda sad is that instead of at least being a terrible force of power against Superman, he's just terrible in general. Didn't Wonder Woman, Batman, and Superman essentially face off against an army of these guys at some point? Really dumbed it all down.
>>
>>94089793
Death's actually pretty good though
>>
>>94089402
Worse than Electric Red and Blue?
>>
>>94090359
Those were flawed clones, none of them were close to being powerful as the original.

And I like Doomsday. He's a really simple villain but sometimes simple is what you need.
>>
>>94087719
Yes.
>>
>>94089060
>Pretty much. No dialogue aside from grunts/shouts/growls,
And that one time he looks at Clark and says "Meeehtropoliiissss"

Which was either in Death of Superman or Hunter/Prey, I can't quite recall.
>>
>>94090507
Agreed. Not every villain needs to have a complex motivation. I think Doomsday has a simple purpose in the story and he fulfilled that purpose just fine. He's not someone I want showing up all the time, but I think he works fine as the occasional city-leveling threat that can be barely slowed down.
>>
>>94090225
Doomsday wasn't dumb though. People always go on about how "mindless" he was, but he understood the basic gist of Not-Hollywood Hogan's Promo, could read roadsigns and spoke to Clark at least once.
He even had a twisted, morbid sense of humor.

He's probably not Smart, but he's certainly not "mindless."
>>
>>94090407
>Worse than Electric Red and Blue?
Eh, that wasn't really all that bad for me. Dumb? Gimmicky? Hell yeah. Bad? I mean, maybe because I didn't read it in real time, but it wasn't long enough for me to get all that mad about it.
I hate DD because of his continued relevance in Kal's comics.
>>
>>94087719
No, Nemisis is a shitty Doomsday
>>
>>94090637
Both.
>>
File: SuperDoomsday.jpg (595KB, 850x760px) Image search: [Google]
SuperDoomsday.jpg
595KB, 850x760px
>>94087719
I think he was very intelligently written, and the way Superman keeps defeating him is also very expertly written by the most experienced minds and ingenious even his subsequent Sperdoom and alternate reality Superdoomsday incarnations are all fun to read.
>>
File: DOOMSDAY.png (909KB, 732x960px) Image search: [Google]
DOOMSDAY.png
909KB, 732x960px
>>94087719
He's like Superman's version of Bane: The villain introduced to break the main character. Just like Bane is forever "The Man Who Broke The Bat," Doomsday is forever "The Monster Who Killed The Man Of Steel."
That's where the similarities end, though.
>>
>>94092892
*Superdoom
Oh and I mean his origins physiology etc. are all elaborate and interesting, of course Doomsday doesn't really have dialogue or anything like that most of the time.
>>
He was supposed to be an ultimate threat.
He was supposed to be a one-shot character.
Lazy writing begets lazy writing.
>>
>>94087719
He's a bad nemesis but he's perfect for the story he was created for.
>>
>>94087719
I have to wonder, why didn't they just have someone else have a mutual kill with Superman? It's not like we're short of characters who can trade punches with him. Mongul, Zod, Bizarro, fucking Brainiac?
>>
>>94093270
Because Doomsday is an ancient kryptonian that was supposed to be dialed up to 12 is Superman is 10. As it is the fucker can't really die, because he always comes back immune to whatever killed him last.
>>
>>94093525
that was not written at the time of conception, you fucking retard. How autistic can you be to list a retcon made several years later as the reason a writer did something?
>>
>>94093543
How do you know Doomsday's origin wasn't already planned out before Doomsday was revealed? I bet DC's writers had an explanation planned from the start as to why Doomsday would be the one to kill Superman from the start. I think it's more retarded to believe that DC's writer's chose to kill off Superman without planning ahead.
>>
File: Doomsday.jpg (22KB, 575x325px) Image search: [Google]
Doomsday.jpg
22KB, 575x325px
Same thing as you, I imagine;
Power, control...
I came to see what this planet had to offer
I'm not impressed.
>>
>>94093651
They were going to bring him back to life immediately, but the sales delayed his return. Reign of Supermen was made up on the spot. That tells you how capable DC editors were.
>>
>>94094055
Capatilizing on an opening certainly is astute, I wager Doomsday's origin was at the very least vaguely outlined behind the scenes from his inception. In any case Doomsday's gimmick and stories are some of the best in comics, Reign of Supermen was not bad.
>>
>>94093651
>>94094055
I read that his origins were originally intended to be left a complete mystery, that way the lingering question would add to his gravitas and make him seem more worthy of having gotten the kill.
>>
>>94087719

He is not a nemesis.

He is a mere force. He is like Chemo, he cannot be planned for outside of defending from physical force or getting out of the way because there is no motivation or goal behind his actions. His presence means disaster, he is supposed to be the monster, no purpose or desire, only a will and power to kill and destroy.

He doesn't want to be left alone, he is not feeding, there is no need he must fulfill, he isn't part of a race, he doesn't belong anywhere, he has no plans or goals but he kills almost everything he sees and he is very powerful.

I really think he has been misused.
>>
>>94087719

Well yeah because he's not a Nemesis
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.