[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will DC ever reprint the original coloring of The Killing Joke?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

File: tkj.jpg (387KB, 1000x793px) Image search: [Google]
tkj.jpg
387KB, 1000x793px
Will DC ever reprint the original coloring of The Killing Joke?
>>
>>94068425
Its on the Alan Moore DC collection.
>>
Hopefully soon, The Killing Joke is popular enough to deserve an alternate edition with the original superior coloring.
>>
don't see why, the new one is objectively better and if you really want the old version you can just download it from the internet.
>>
>>94068425
eww yellow
>>
>>94068481
fuck off you modernist whore
>>
The recolored was too poorly received. If they reprint it, they'll definitely go with the original colors.
>>
>>94068574
>If they reprint it, they'll definitely go with the original colors.
Are you retarded? They've been continuously printing the recolor for decades
>>
>>94068425
I like the new one. But sure is the old one neat too.
How about we get a reprint with the original and new coloring? Maybe like a lenticular print?
Just kidding with the lentri pages, thwe cost for that book would be too high
>>
>>94068471
Not exactly.....

It is only available in certain printings of the "Across the Universe" Alan Moore compilation book. The version with the Bolland group cover shot of the characters from the stories from the volume.

Early printings of Across The Universe omit it and Moore's Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow. Later on, when the HCs for WHTTMOT and Killing Joke came out, they removed those stories plus the Moore Superman stories (an issue of DC Comics Presents with Swamp Thing, plus his Superman/Mongul story) to make room for a couple of Wildstorm stories Moore did.
>>
The reason for the recolor is Brian Bolland. Bolland HATED how the original Killing Joke was colored (Moore, as part of his reacurring habit of treating artists like dogshit, never allowed Bolland to have a say over how the story was colored).

Bolland wanted a more realistic coloring of the story. A Moore wanted a more garrish acid trip coloring. And since Bolland has a good relationship with DC, whereas Moore has burnt bridges to the extent that DC no longer gives a shit about pampering his shithead ego anymore, they basically told Bolland that they would not only let him oversee the recoloring of Killing Joke, but make his version the definitive version going forward.
>>
>>94068481
New one looks like boring shit; they ruined it.
>>
>>94068996
That sounds like a lot of behind the scenes shit that you just made up
>>
>>94068996
Moore was completely right here.
>>
>>94068425
Bolland hates it so probably not
>>
>>94069718
>Completely batshit insane to reflect the guy's state of mind
>Actually has more lighting than parts of the recolour
>Joker ends up being the only normally-coloured object in the scene, making it even weirder
Yeah, it's great
>>
>>94069566
It's not made up, but I believe Moore also didn't really get much input on the colors. Communication with colorists was pretty fucked up at DC around this time.
>>
Is that really the original coloring? It's terrible, good choice doing the rainbow neon light reflections stuff.
>>
File: 1455591808201.png (247KB, 760x572px) Image search: [Google]
1455591808201.png
247KB, 760x572px
>>94068481
>the new one is objectively better
>>
>>94068996
Pencilers are just tools anon. They don't deserve to have opinions. No one complains if an actor is told to shut the fuck up because the director is the one in charge
>>
>>94068747
I think you might be confusing
>DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore
with
>Across the Universe: The DC Universe Stories of Alan Moore

which I believe (but could be wrong) are two separate things. The first one definitely has Killing Joke's original coloring.
>>
Is it wrong that I think both colorings have their merits? The original fits the tone of the story more but the new coloring really showcases Bolland's art.
>>
File: 1500453895164.png (98KB, 180x266px) Image search: [Google]
1500453895164.png
98KB, 180x266px
>>94068481
>the new one is objectively better
>>
>>94068548
>>94069541
>>94070167
>>94070491
Lets look at the comparison in the OP and be honest with ourselves. All that bright yellow is ugly.

And I don't mean the intentional ugly that people sometimes do to contribute to a horrific atmosphere. This is the kind of ugly that pains your eyes because all this goddamn bright yellow is making it physically unpleasant to keep looking at these pages.
>>
>>94068481
It's like the Neal Adams recolors, my dude.
>>
>>94069566
Especially as Moore's been very complimentary to a lot of the artists he's worked with. He even said "I mean, Brian [Bolland] did a wonderful job on the art but I don’t think it’s a very good book" specifically about the Killing Joke.

>>94070150
If I remember correctly John Higgins had just done Watchmen with Moore, was immediately available and was able to get the job done really quickly. Bolland is an infamously slow worker, going right back to his 2000AD days, so there wasn't a huge amount of time left to get it completed. I don't think Moore had a lot of input other than to say "yeah, I've worked with John before he's good".
>>
>>94070572
The garish colors were what made the unreal and disturbing atmosphere of that scene.
>>
File: kjreprints.jpg (216KB, 500x255px) Image search: [Google]
kjreprints.jpg
216KB, 500x255px
>>94068425
They reprinted it like seven times.
>>
>>94070572
It sounds like you just have pussies for eyes.
>>
>>94072586
Yeah and then they stopped
>>
>>94070572
>bright yellow is making it physically unpleasant to keep looking at these pages.

THAT'S THE POINT when reading it you're not supposed to feel comfortable it makes the whole experience horrifying.
>>
>>94068996
>as part of his reacurring habit of treating artists like dogshit
Bullshit
>>
>>94069566
>>94074700
Ugh, sacred cow worshippers detected
>>
>>94070572
>the yellow is garrish!
>not realizing the hypersaturation is intentional
>not immediately noticing the contrast between the jokers palette and the palette of the world around him

This is why you'll never be a respectable artist.
>>
>>94074778
But Moore does like artists. He always talks highly of his artists, even on books he ended up regretting or hating. He's notoriously strict with guidelines, with his scripts being almost like novels, but he wasn't known at all for treating artists unfairly or harshly.
>>
>>94074980
I was being sarcastic. People only hate Moore because of his popularity and "le grumpy jaded artist" meme
>>
File: 1416782353864.jpg (621KB, 825x1449px) Image search: [Google]
1416782353864.jpg
621KB, 825x1449px
>>94070150
>Communication with colorists was pretty fucked up at DC around this time.
THIS!

also: artists wish of coloring > writers wish of coloring
>>
>>94074778
And you sound like a dime-store contrarian.

>everyone thinks X is a great artist/writer/whatever, but he's actually a jerk IRL. I know because disgruntled employee who was fired because he couldn't cut it told me so
>anyone who likes them is blinded by hero-worship
>why do a lot of people like the same thing? I've never heard of it, so I got to find out what it is, hate it, and then say everyone is stupid but me
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.