[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was turning him into a villain justified?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

File: Scrappy-Doo.png (659KB, 1441x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Scrappy-Doo.png
659KB, 1441x1080px
Was turning him into a villain justified?
>>
Was creating him at all justified? He was barely tolerable in the Shaggy/Scooby movies and that was only when he wasn't trying to fight everyone.
>>
>>94034375
Saved tv ratings.
>>
>>94034354

It's really jarring when a character that's never been anything but supportive and admiring -if overeager- gets retooled into a despicable selfish villain purely because the director's hateboner for him is that big
>>
>>94034448
>Scrappy Doo saved Scooby Doo from obscurity and dragged the series on long enough to ensure it would keep living
>Scrappy Doo is reason that we got Zombie Island and why it didn't just appeal to kiddies all the time because he's universally seen as being cancerous and why nobody should try hard at appealing to kids

I keep hoping someday someone fond of the Red Shirt Shaggy Era will retool Scrappy and make him likable. I didn't mind him so much in my favorite trifecta (Ghoul School, Reluctant Werewolf, Boo Brothers) but he did come off a little too competent compared to Shag and Scoob which took spotlight off of them.
>>
>>94034561
I want memes to be come real and the red shirt become an actual alternative timeline
>>
>>94034561
Red Shirt Shaggy was way more competent than you give him credit for.

Shaggy in general has this weird ninja thing going on where the fewer other human characters were around him the more competent he got.
>>
>>94034354
Not really, he might not been a good character but that was really going too far.
>>
>>94034354
Scooby Dum would have made for a better surprise villian
>>
Scrappy never deserved the hate he got and turning him into a villain was stupid.
>>
>>94034638
Shaggy is canonically the most athletic and physically fit member of mystery inc. Shaggy and Scooby are typically the bait to trap bad guys not because they're expendable, but because they're the ones who can handle the danger better.
>>
>>94034638
Shaggy's lazy. If there are other people around to do shit, he'll just let them do it.
>>
File: 3874070-500px-scooby-dum.jpg (37KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
3874070-500px-scooby-dum.jpg
37KB, 480x480px
>>94035358
Scrappy > Dum.
Can we confirm?
>>
>>94034354
He was never a hero, only obnoxious
>>
>>94034354
Man, I cried after I whatched the first Scooby Doo movie as a child, because I remembered the moments where he and Scooby were all family and hugging and so.
>>
File: track.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
track.webm
3MB, 640x480px
>>94035813
>Shaggy is canonically the most athletic and physically fit member of mystery inc
Shaggy was once able to outrun a group of Olympic track runners just to flee from a monster. He's able to easily keep up with his Great Dane (and their species can push up to around 28 mph, which is peak human speed) and I'm pretty sure in one other recent SD movie, he was able to effortlessly solo an entire group of assailants merely by having his fear inhibited by hypnosis or something.

He's easily the most OP member of Mystery Inc., when he wants to be anyways.
>>
>>94037784
>He's able to easily keep up with his Great Dane (and their species can push up to around 28 mph, which is peak human speed)
I never thought of it that way
>>
>>94034354
>saves the show
>is blamed for all of the problems with it

Being Scrappy is suffering.

Why did people hate him so much anyway? I never minded him as a kid. It was honestly kind of refreshing to see someone try to beat up the ghost rather than run from what they know is just some guy in a costume.
>>
>>94040961
His voice is really annoying.
>>
>>94040961
>While popular in the 1970s, the character became the face of this trope as the Scooby-Doo franchise fell into decline in the 1980s, with fans pointing to the decline occurring as the franchise began to focus more and more upon Scrappy-Doo, who was intended to be a younger dog character for younger viewers to identify with but ended up annoying them as much as the older fans. When the franchise was later retooled in the 1990s and the character had become particularly notorious, he was entirely dropped from every iteration of the franchise in animated form and the character had become so toxic that even attempts to market older material with Scrappy in it tried to reduce mention of his role.

>Some of the hate for Scrappy-Doo in particular might be that he was introduced to an existing show in a desperate attempt to save it ...and the show didn't get cancelled. It didn't necessarily get better (to at least some existing fans, it got worse), but it brought in enough new fans to keep it from being cancelled. Within a couple of years a lot of existing cartoons with falling ratings added their own Kid-Appeal Character, and a lot of new ones included them right from the start. This was not universally well-regarded by the older demographic, and Scrappy-Doo was widely seen as the catalyst for the change... there's a reason this trope is called The Scrappy.
>>
>>94037784
>He's able to easily keep up with his Great Dane (and their species can push up to around 28 mph, which is peak human speed)
Worth pointing out Scooby is probably not in peak physical condition for a dog. 28 MPH is probably generous. Although this in a universe where instantaneous travel between two points is both easy and available to all, so...
>>
>>94041505
Oh, so it's the same kind of situation as that cousin that got added onto that one show. The Brady Bunch, I think?
>>
>>94034375
I actually really liked Scrappy when I was a kid, to be fair though I only saw him in the Boo Brothers special where I thought he was a fucking badass that looked up to his uncle.
>>
>>94041557
It's exactly the same thing, yes. Scrappy and cousin Oliver are the most famous examples of this type of character.
>>
>>94041508
>Worth pointing out Scooby is probably not in peak physical condition for a dog
What are you talking about? He's constantly getting a lot of exercise and eats his fill, he's fit.
>>
>>94041508
>>94041748
It's hard to tell how fit Scoob is because he's got a lot of toon physics.
>>
>>94037784
>He's easily the most OP member of Mystery Inc., when he wants to be anyways.
What keeps Shaggy from being OP is he probably doesn't even realize how OP he is. It's just a natural instinct that benefits him when it needs to happen, rather than something he can harness.
>>
reminder that scooby and shaggy are worthy of becoming yellow lanterns
>>
File: 1497394870050.jpg (2MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
1497394870050.jpg
2MB, 1988x3056px
>>94042070
>>
>>94041505
What a coinky dink
I'm watching Batman TAS the Babydoll episode and they discuss this phenomenon with cousin Spunky
>>
>>94034354
No
>>
>>94041508
>Although this in a universe where instantaneous travel between two points is both easy and available to all

Explain
>>
>>94037784
>Shaggy was once able to outrun a group of Olympic track runners just to flee from a monster. He's able to easily keep up with his Great Dane (and their species can push up to around 28 mph, which is peak human speed)

and the monsters are always able to catch up
>>
>>94034354
It was the first time I ever really appreciated him outside 13 Ghosts.
>>
You guys are sentimental pussies.

The Scrappy Doo twist was literally the very best thing about the live-action Scooby Doo movie.
>>
File: Kcy3UpT.png (160KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
Kcy3UpT.png
160KB, 500x280px
Ww literally just had a thread about things that scared us as a kid. Scrappy Doo's transformation in the Live Action movie was up there
>>
>>94044124
this, it was really stupid but it was the one part that was actually funny
>>
>>94044442
TANK!
>>
>>94044442
HUGE!
>>
>>94044442

Literally a 2007 console game....
>>
>>94034354
no, he was unpopular for sure but making him a villain was mean spirited.
>>
>>94043211
I'm assuming they mean the whole 'Going through a door on one side of the room, and appearing through a door on the other side' thing. Something they don't realize is simply toon physics for humor.
>>
>>94037784
Yeah, he took down an entire biker gang when his fear was hypnotized away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLVnx9R7LrA
>>
>>94044124
no. velma was
>>
>>94046656
Yeah fucking nigger at the end ruins it
>>
>>94041861
>Shaggy will never overcome his fear and asurp Fred
>>
>>94050390
But then he wouldn't be Shaggy anymore.

And anyways he'd still be the laid back dude he always is. Just not afraid.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.