[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So does /co/ trust Johns to write Watchmen characters without

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 10

File: GuejxBRH[1].jpg (1MB, 3975x3056px) Image search: [Google]
GuejxBRH[1].jpg
1MB, 3975x3056px
So does /co/ trust Johns to write Watchmen characters without fucking them up or insulting the comic?
>>
>>94030535
Fuck no.
>>
i don't really care if he "insults them".

it's not going to take away from the original, which while amazing is sort of put on a pedestal as being sacred.
>>
>>94030535
all that matters is we get a bunch of hot Gary Frank Lois Lane panels in this book.
>>
No.
Watchmen should have the peaceful, honorable death it deserves.
>>
These two fuckers are going to meet has been confirmed.
>>
>>94030535
So every time this thread dies you just gonna repost so there is a shit post fest over character rights, pretentious comics and how creators should be able to decide what to do with characters they created while under contract to another company who owns the rights? Is that it? Going to run this into the ground like 'why are there so many human Green Lanterns' or 'Diversity is bad in comics' threads?
>>
>>94030535
No

Mostly in it for Frank's art
>>
>>94030535
I'm not emotionally invested enough in Watchmen to particularly care. I saw the movie once a good few years ago and I read the comic last year. it was alright. not Moore's best work. not a very insightful critical reading of the superhero genre.

so to Johns I say, go nuts.
>>
I don't trust Johns with anything other to be the most whitebread writer around
>>
>>94030572
>Another thread
This was my first one, though it's no secret that DC fucked Moore out of the characters.
>>
>>94030571
I didn't even know I wanted this til now. shenanigans are afoot
>>
Thank god Johns can't ruin Sandman.
>>
STORY TRUMPS CONTINUITY. IF IT'S FUN, I GIVE 0 SHITS IF HE MAKES RORSCHACH INTO A TAIWANESE LITTLE GIRL. GET FUCKED "MUH FICTIONAL CHARACTERS' INTEGRITY," FAGGOT.
>>
>>94030535
There are no sacred cows
>>
>>94030568
Agreed. I'm not even one to say that Johns is terrible or something but Watchmen was great on its own and should have always stayed that way. Before Watchmen and this are both a mistake, it's almost like Johns just loved anything Moore did and wants to play with his ideas.
>>
They already made those shitty prequel comics and the comic stands on its own so well that I can just ignore everything else and see it as a bit of experimentation.

I don't trust Johns to write most things. Though I like what I've read of his Superman. One day I want to read his Green Lantern stuff maybe since I always hear good things.
>>
>>94030581
>not Moore's best work.

What do you think is better?
>>
Johns isn't the type of writer that would do Watchmen Justice. He isn't a horrible writer but King and Old Waid would do better.
>>
File: 61040._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg (43KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
61040._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg
43KB, 360x360px
>>94030535
No, Johns is a decent writer when there's no ties to the character, he is good giving voices to characters that lack one. He isn't fit to clean moore's toilet. Johns isn't the brightest person and he isn't the most talented guy either. This is just a cheap gimmick that WB and that Johns being a bitchboy just does. It won't be a good story since it didn't came from an artist but from a bunch of executives and the guys involved just lack the talent. Before watchmen was bad, and watchmen isn't a sacred cow, but is an ip that deserves more.

Last time this board had faith in Johns this was what we got, for years retards and fanboys telling us to wait for the big pay off.
>>
>>94030684
Johns loves watchmen and wants to celebrate it.
>>
>>94030718
His JSA was better than his GL IMO. You might wanna check that out.
>>
File: watchmen-page-0f0aa.jpg (175KB, 970x545px) Image search: [Google]
watchmen-page-0f0aa.jpg
175KB, 970x545px
Is it gonna be a continuation of this scene?
>>
>>94030747
Bullshit
>>
>>94030684
>always
>never
There are no mistakes in comics, anin,mjust things nobody brings up later. You can't 'ruin' Watchmen any more than all the people who've fucked with the FF or New Gods can ruin Kirby's contributions.
If this stuff detracts from your enjoyment, that's on you.
>>
>>94030798
But he said it. Not me.

Weirdo.
>>
>>94030826
And Johns lies.
>>
>>94030765
Sorry bro you missed that a little bit ago.
>>
>>94030535
Fuucckkk NOoooo

Leave Watchmen alone. It's self contained for a reason. Stop trying to catch lightning in a bottle REEEE

>>94030571
Lex Luthor isn't even in the same class as Ozymandias. Lex Luthor is a polymath businessman with a complex about a man in blue and red panties. Ozymandias is a polymath peak human condition ubermenschen who genetically engineers his own cats and deflects bullets for fun
>>
>>94030753
I'm curious, which did you read first?
I read GL first and JSA second and have the opposite opinion. He repeats himself- a lot.
Hero's that are villains that are heroes is Johns' whole deal, though, so this shit should work ok for him.
Not that I'd read it, mind you.
>>
File: trouble.jpg (43KB, 250x391px) Image search: [Google]
trouble.jpg
43KB, 250x391px
>>94030819
>There are no mistakes in comics
Oh yes there are.
>>
>>94030845
Nah he doesn't. Just retards like you living in delusions.
>>
>>94030881
Didn't read it. Don't care. Doesn't 'ruin' Ditko for me, and I've never heard even the whiniest babby say otherwise.
>>
>>94030873
Lex also has a really tiny penis, anyway there's nothing worse than smart characters done by dumb writers, and Johns confuses Rome with Greece.
>>
>>94030880
Curious. I read JSA first because it's older
>>
>>94030890
Wait. Are you serious? Are you really saying Johns doesn't lie?

I'm not even going to mock you, but do you seriously think Johns will promote this shit openly saying its result from a WB mandate and that is just a cashgrab??
>>
>>94030905
It's like you're weirdly confrontational, about comic books, on a Japanese based message board...
>>
>>94030723
Swamp Thing, Providence, and V for Vendetta all struck a stronger chord with me.
>>
>>94031006
I could maybe see those from just a writing perspective but he did such a great job with imagery and motif working with Gibbons on Watchmen. There's so much in there.
>>
>>94030975
>confrontational
Pffft, I didn't even call you faggot.
Faggot.
>>
>>94030826
Johns also said he loves wonder woman, and the first time he read a run was in 2014.
Outside crossovers he never touched wondy in all his years working in the industry.

Johns lies is a meme that is as old as "Hal lied". Even in the source you could find it.
>>
Not at all. Yang is literately a recognized genius of comic book making, but Johns is fucking selfish.
>>
>Dan DiDio and Jim Lee responded, "DC Comics would only revisit these iconic characters if the creative vision of any proposed new stories matched the quality set by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons nearly 25 years ago, and our first discussion on any of this would naturally be with the creators themselves."
And they let Johns pull this bullshit
I hope they do something stupid so Moore can sue
>>
>>94030941
>>94031092

You guys love deek like me.

He loves wonder woman but prefers character over back issues.

Anyway Barry> women.
>>
>>94030535
He's not Alan Moore, so no.
>>
I know Moore doesn't want to work with DC any more but if I were him I would write it just so I wouldn't have to see it become shit.
>>
>>94030535
I don't trust Johns to write anything good.
>>
if Johns writes a good Watchmen story it'll be his first good story ever
>>
>>94031301
>just so I wouldn't have to see it become shit.
Jon's statement at the end more or less summarizes how this sort of thing goes. A creator is immortalized by their work but they are inherently impermanent, a company is immortal.
So long as a company owns a property they can do as they please with it at any time they please. The creator's temporary involvement just stalls the inevitable momentarily.

Just look, Watchmen was done 30 years ago and has been re-released since then to keep it afloat for use. Recently DC decided to do just that with Before Watchmen and now this. Ergo who is to say 30 years from now DC might not decide to do an After, During and What if?... Watchmen long after Moore's dead and we've all moved on from comics? What do you really see ultimately happening with any degree of effort?

There's nothing to be accomplished.
>>
>>94030723

Not him, but:

For the Man Who Has Everything.
>>
>>94030535
don't care. i think the comic is overrated anyway.

the prospect of superman vs dr. manhattan is the only thing i'm taking away from it and if it REEEs moorefags and/or the philosophy majors it inspired then that just makes the whole deal sweeter.
>>
>>94030535
> /co/ trust Johns
Somthing is wrong with this
>>
>>94030562
Nobody is allowed to milk the sacred cow.
>>
>>94030744
>isn't fit to clean moore's toilet
/co/ believes Moore shits gold confirmed.
>>
>>94030881
As is usual with fuck ups of this caliber, it's justified itself with every story time of pain we've ever done of it. Repulsion and standing aghast, in their own sick ways, provide entertainment too.

I don't necessarily think it's something that needed to exist, or should've, but it's not like it hasn't been enjoyed. It's not like, say, Gwen Stacy fucking Norman Osborn and having his bastard babies. Or Identity Crisis. Those had annoyances far beyond their own stories. Trouble can be easily contained as an Elseworlds, really.
>>
>>94030873
Lex is smarter than oz though. Like making a giant squif monster is a tuesday for him
>>
File: 1498332432854.png (531KB, 440x619px) Image search: [Google]
1498332432854.png
531KB, 440x619px
I do, but maybe that's because I don't hold the Watchmen up as this untouchable brand of comics like everyone else does. I get it. They're great. I read through the comics myself. I even read through the additional writings and journal entries that gave insight into the world of the Watchmen. I love the comics. However, there seems to be this weird mentality among people here that when something is dearly beloved the best thing to do for it is quietly and gently smother it with a pillow before it can possibly disappoint them in the future because the preservation of their
fond memories is more important than preserving the actual property.
>>
>>94030723
Top 10, Supreme, Man Who Has Everything, Marvelman, Swamp Thing, Negative Burn stuff
>>
>>94032712
Marvel man is the deepest. That shit blows watchmen out.
>>
>>94032699
No, there are people who think that an excellent work that stands the test of time, and raises the bar, shouldn't be crassly exploited by second and third-stringers for a comic sales bump.
>>
>>94030873
Oh. So a squid monster is impressive to you? What a brainlet.
>>
>>94033082
Raises the bar meme. All it did was deconstruct but yet other books did it better.

You can tells who casual when all they read is is baby's first Moore book.
>>
>>94030723
Watchmen and from hell are his best works. Bug numbers had potential, but it's sad that it was never completed. I haven't read Providence yet, but I've heard some good things about it.
Swamp Thing and Miracleman being as good as Watchmen is purely a meme. Swamp Thing is completely genre fiction. No way is Swamp Thing punching werewolves and drowning vampires as good as any issue of Watchmen.
>>
>>94033082
A lot of the things people liked about Watchmen Moore had no intention for people to like. It's good despite Alan Moore. It's literally a complete accident that people wound up liking it.
>>
>>94033145
it literately was so big my dad was reading about it in Playboy magazine and newspapers
it sparked a ton of creator owned darker stuff to be viable
>>
File: baseddc.png (304KB, 780x1034px) Image search: [Google]
baseddc.png
304KB, 780x1034px
>>94030535

>MAKE MINE DC
>>
>>94033145
>other books did it better
Name them. If you're going to name something like Miracleman or squadron Supreme, don't even bother.
>>
Moore could write a new watchmen comic and everyone would still shriek "he missed the point!!!"
>>
>>94033213
Le only dark is good meme.

>>94033250
Le thinks watchmen is the highest work of art or the only way comics should be done.

Start reading more books son. Eventually you start to understand why Watchmen tainted the industry. Even Moore agrees it did.

Casuals.
>>
File: 1040461-superman_reeve.jpg (27KB, 445x363px) Image search: [Google]
1040461-superman_reeve.jpg
27KB, 445x363px
>>94030873
>Lex Luthor isn't even in the same class as Ozymandias
>Actually believing this
>>
>>94033386
Nice shifting the topic, Johnsfag. I just asked to name a better superhero deconstruction. It literally proves that reading Johns makes you too autistic to hold a normal discussion. If we're looking for Moore's opinions, he'll be holding writers like Johns to be a the problem with the industry.
>>
>>94030873
>It's self contained for a reason.

That reason being Moore felt Jewed by DC. He had plans to continue with it and do a Minute Men series.
>>
>>94030535
It should be just Manhattan based on everything shown so far, which seems to indicate there's a strong idea behind it. If we suddenly start seeing other characters randomly popping up then it'll be more questionable though.
>>
>>94033082

Moore has been using the works of other writers in comics and other literature his entire career. I'm not losing sleep over this
>>
I've never seen Johns as confident as he sounds when talking about this project. I actually think it's admirable. Maybe he's putting up the best act of his life because of corporate shenanigans but I don't think so, he sounds genuine.
>>
>>94030723
On a technical level (pacing, visual storytelling, symbolism, what and how to tell the story, metanarrative) Watchmen is his best work. On emotional level it just doesn't resonate with people including me. I don't think I could say with any shred of honesty that Watchmen isn't his best work objectively but for me stuff like Swamp Thing, V For Vendetta and Miracleman are both more emotionally involving and creatively brilliant.
>>
>>94030571
Why does ozy look like a twink?
>>
>>94030626
At least Sandman is actually set in the DCU.
>>
>>94033386
Nice ad hominem faggot.
>>
>>94030535
>>94030535
The fact that this book is happening at all is insulting and misses the point of Watchmen. For one thing, whether it's your favourite Alan Moore book or not (it isn't mine), it's a work of literature with serious intent, themes and perspective and giving it prequels and sequels waters that down. For new readers who don't know the whole history of the book, Before Watchmen/Doomsday Clock are just as valid as the original.

Beyond literary merit, if you read Moore's notes in the Absolute edition, his whole point of Watchmen was wanting to create a superhero universe that was created by one writer rather than multiple writers, across decades. So this is literally taking the germinating idea of Watchmen and chucking it out.

(And yeah, I love Gary Frank too, but I'm not reading Batman Earth One or most of the shit he's done with Johns, so that doesn't win me over.)
>>
>>94030535
Sure.
Then again I'm not an Alan Moore nuthugger.
>>
File: WatchmeX-RedStarOverNewYork.png (326KB, 300x462px) Image search: [Google]
WatchmeX-RedStarOverNewYork.png
326KB, 300x462px
>>94030568
WatchMeX?
>>
If this was a story instead of naked brand extension, Grant Morrison (of all people, Moore's wizard nemesis) gave DC the perfect solution with the Earth-4 that looks just like Watchmen. Just use them instead, Johns. (But that wouldn't sell half as well. We know what's really going on.)
>>
>>94034701
Honestly, I can't tell whether this happened and DC genuinely wants to forget about it or someone made some mock up covers.
>>
>>94030567
this
>>
>>94034722
They are not real.
>>
>>94030535
Why would I not trust the greatest cape writer of all time?
>>
>>94034729
Thank god.
>>
>>94034730
lowqualitybait.jpg
>>
>>94034738
No bait, he's my favorite cape writer.
>>
I love Watchmen. I do. And I do think it is as good as many say.

But I don't give a fuck about you faggots who think DC shouldn't use them. Moore shouldn't have tried to use one of the big two in order to publish a series he wanted to own.

Musicians had been getting fucked the same way for 40 years by then. He should have known better. And he thought he did.

So in short, while I love Watchmen, the only faggots who REE about Rebirth incorporating (really barely have so far) the characters are people who care about the behind the scenes shit.

Otherwise you'd, at most, be apathetic.
>>
>>94032349
I'd milk the sacred cow if you know what Im saying
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.