[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

God in the DCU

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 8

File: the presence.png (797KB, 790x1279px) Image search: [Google]
the presence.png
797KB, 790x1279px
So something has always bothered me. If the Abrahamic God exists in the DCU, how can there be any moral ambiguity? The Bible is very clear that God's word is law and that he is, morally, objectively right in every way; all powerful, all good, all knowing. So then wouldn't that mean that everything the Spectre does is objectively right, since the Spectre is literally God's wrath incarnate (at least before the New 52).

So wouldn't that mean that pretty much everyone that's not dispensing criminals in the manner that God himself is is in the wrong? If Superman tries to stop The Spectre from turning bad guys into candles or shredding them in money tornadoes isn't he literally doing it wrong from a completely objective point of view?

How can there be any moral ambiguity in DC's stories when there's literally a character who defines what is right and wrong? How can Batman's decision not to kill not be the wrong choice when God believes it's the right thing to do?
>>
>The Bible is very clear
Not everyone worships.the same God(s).
>>
Your lack of imagination saddens me.
>>
>>94028297

Why would that matter? If everything in the Bible was right, which it is since God exists and so does Jesus in the DCU, then the Abrahamic religions are objectively the one true religion and everyone else is wrong.
>>
>>94028206
You should probably remember that, unlike the Quran, the Bible is unapologetic about the fact it is written by mortals and is a divinely guided record of experiences with God and not a literal legal work. You can base laws on the Bible, but trying to govern on the Bible alone would be next to impossible as it lacks laws for quite a lot of things.

The Quran is both presented as being literally authored by God and as being a legal text for a theocracy.
>>
>>94028370
Because every other god is also running around in the universe, so it muddys things up.
>>
>>94028206
>How can Batman's decision not to kill not be the wrong choice when God believes it's the right thing to do?

Well a lot of people die because Batman won't kill a guy.
>>
>>94028370
>If everything in the Bible was right
That's a huge ass assumption.
>>
>>94028206
Because that god is tyrannical and evil, regardless if he says hes "good"
>>
>>94028206

It's important to note that just because God exists in the DCU doesn't mean that he's the objective moral authority. Just because the Bible says he is, doesn't mean he *actually* is.

In fact, I'd almost argue that not even The Presence himself thinks he's the objective moral authority. If he did, why the hell would the Spectre need a human host to help him make decisions on how to dispense punishment?
>>
>>94028206
Depends on what version of DC. Vertigo was loose canon with regular DC. Post nu52 and rebirth it's not part of canon.

Lucifer comic moved everything to its own reality.
>>
>>94028370
Darkseid clearly states that the Bible is wrong. And in DC Darkseid and Abraham God are both roughly placed on an equivalent level. Lucifer too.
>>
>>94028206
>>94028370
I'm annoyed cause it's so obvious you don't actually read the comics, you just came in here knowing Jack shit about how DC addresses God in the comic and instead you're just gonna be obtuse about the whole fucking thing.
>>
>>94028499

This is the correct answer.
>>
>>94028551
>DC Darkseid and Abraham God are both roughly placed on an equivalent level
Morrisonfag pls.
>>
>>94028601
Step aside Vertigofag, your time is over.
>>
>>94028576

>lel casual XD

I was just reading the fucking Ostrander Spectre run and the question popped into my head and I thought it was worth discussing between all the /tv/ and Spider-Man Homecoming threads. So how about instead of acting like a jackoff for no goddamn reason, you enlighten me on your perspective on the subject?

I mean seriously, dude. There's no need to be a douche.
>>
>>94028693
>ask shitty casual question
>gets called out
I don't see the problem here.
>>
>>94028790

>>ask shitty casual question
>>gets called out

When did /co/ become such a trash board that's more worried about screaming casual at anyone that asks a question they don't like rather than actually discussing comics? Faggots like you are literally what make this board cancer.
>>
>>94028206
hey reddit
>>
>>94028848
>When did /co/ become such a trash board that's more worried about screaming casual at anyone that asks a question they don't like rather than actually discussing comics?
Shortly after a flood of casuals like you swamped the board with shitty questions with no knowledge of what they were asking about.
>>
>>94028206
>how can there be any moral ambiguity
There isn't any, DC operates on Good vs Evil.
>>
>>94028601
Carey would agree with that honestly. And the Endless completely throw a wrench into that equation anyways.
>>
>>94028206
The Bible was written by man
>>
>>94029043
Carey may agree but Kirby wouldn't.
>>
File: calling bullshit.jpg (17KB, 230x255px) Image search: [Google]
calling bullshit.jpg
17KB, 230x255px
>>94028693
>I was just reading the Ostrader Spectre run and the question popped into my mind
>that's why I used a Lucifer image that doesn't correspond with the Presence in that run at all
>>
>question thread is slowly turning into a power level thread
>>
It's one of those comic book things you just have to not think about.
>>
God is The Presence, who often takes the form of a Scottish Terrier correct? I dont think he cares what man does as long as cosmic balance is fine
>>
>>94029098
Let's give him the benefit of the doubt here anon, maybe he just pull this off google images or got this from another thread.
>>
I like the idea that God, as with every supernatural entity, exists in a constant state of flux within the DCU based off the interpretations of both those who believe and disbelieve alongside the writer's interpretation. I believe this idea is first brought about in a chapter of Moore's Swampthing and I find the ever changing almost contradicting nature of such an abstract concept as an omnipotent creator very much fitting. Characters evoke the powers of supernatural and superscience on a never-ending routine. Time's been rewritten more instances than the script for the Flintstones Movie. The amount of alternate realities that exist simultaneous among one singular void of shared consciousness is infinitely greater than man could ever write in stone. Therefore it makes sense that God would fluctuate on a simultaneous basis. There is no need for explanation as the questions brought up in-universe are strong enough to stand on there own
>>
File: Seasons of mists.jpg (211KB, 665x1023px) Image search: [Google]
Seasons of mists.jpg
211KB, 665x1023px
>>94029100
It is ostensibly a power level thread from the start.
>>Why don't people follow god since he's the most OP badass in the DCU?
Nevermind it's been explicitly stated that if you don't give a fuck about Abrahamic religion you're not bound to it in the afterlife.
OP is a casual retard who never read the comics that explicitly tell him why this isn't the case
>>
>>94028206
You can't equate God's wrath with God's word. God isn't always wrathful. Sometimes God us merciful so by your flawed logic He'd be sinning when he grants undeserved mercy.
>>
>>94028693
>I was just reading
Reading not have read? As in you haven't even finished the run? Jesus check out this ego. Hasn't even read a whole run and already demanding to be treated as an expert on all DC.
>>
>>94029337
God is god he makes the rules he can't sin
>>
>>94029337
It's also important to note that God's wrath's human host is the one usually being a sadistic fuck.
>>
>>94029378
Lol no, the angel is the sadist please read a comic
>>
>>94029389
>please read a comic
I did, it was Gotham by Midnight and that's what I got from it.
>>
>>94029433
That was not the case in Gotham by Midnight. Go actually read Gotham by Midnight.
>>
>>94029367
He's usually treated as an ex machina, except for the carey Lucifer run.

But he's another god going around, same with big father, the wizard and such, there's also the eternals, which existence it's even more conceptual and bound to creation.
>>
>>94029538
>the eternals
>>
>>94028206
He wrote the book, but he was a little full of himself, and fibbed here and there.
>>
File: Tales of the Unexpected 006-015.jpg (425KB, 1074x1650px) Image search: [Google]
Tales of the Unexpected 006-015.jpg
425KB, 1074x1650px
>>94029389
Whoops, replied to the wrong person.
Here's the Phantom Stranger chatting with Crispus about what he has to do as the human component.
>>
>>94029516
What? You telling me that scene with the spectre killing those two cops and corrigan asking the spectre why he did it because those cops didn't anything wrong and the Spectre telling him that it's Corrigan choosing who get SPECTRE'D didn't happeen like that and I'm actually misremembering it?
>that's actually possible, I read it during a story time last halloween.
>>
>>94029643
>ad it during a story time
OP we already know you're a casual. No need to give more proof.
>>
>>94029625
>Crispy Spectre
You got me there but Crispus Allen Spectre is my least favorite spectre so I never really bothered with him.
>>
>God in the DCU was Hercule Poirot all along
Not even Agatha herself could come up with such a twist
>>
>>94029667
I'm actual a different anon and shit nogga you think I'm gonna say no to a spooky storytime during halloween? I would be tricked out of my mind to leat a treat like that go by.
>>
>>94029667
>reading story times somehow makes you a casual
>>
>>94029743
OH FIRST THINGS FIRST
>>
>>94029710
Yeah it's Crispy, but it's all I have on this PC right now. That mini wasn't bad, but was a basic revenge story dragged out for 8 issues
>>
>>94029772
Most definitely. If you don't even put in effort to procure your own comics and just read what /co/ spoonfeeds you that is the peak of casual reading. What do you even think a casual is?
>>
>>94029836
someone who likes comics properties but doesn't read comics
>>
>>94029864
Ridiculously low bar. Lowest standards I can even imagine.
>>
>>94029935
and yet look at who we share a board with
>>
>>94029947
Well because of you, it seems people who have barely read anything and think they are the top experts and people that read nothing and think that makes them a casual fan.
>>
>>94029981
anon we have people who have read nothing but wiki pages and seen movies and think they are top experts and you're going after people who actually read comics, just because they're not as widely read as you?
>>
>>94029935
If it's any consolation anon, I do buy and own comics.
>I just didn't buy and own Gotham at Midnight.
>>
>>94030027
>we have people who have read nothing but wiki pages and seen movies and think they are top experts
And here you are calling them entry level casual fans of the medium.
>>
>>94030027
Not even that anon, but yes you goal-post moving bastard.

If you're shit but others are nasty diarrhea shit then that doesn't magically make you not shit.
>>
>>94029059
Probably 100s of plebs across 1000s of years too. The Bible is the ultimate telephone game desu
>>
>>94028206
'the bible is accurate because the holy spirit' is a human myth, put in the bible by humans, and in no way shape or form endorsed by the actions of God.

especially since in DC the holy spirit IS the spectre, and he doesn't go around making sure people are accurately transcribing the bible's messages
>>
>>94028206
When Dr Light died a few guys broke into heaven to get his m out and found that everybody has their own afterlife based on their own beliefs.

Should also be noted an Amazon went Lucifer's Hell and he told her she was in wrong afterlife.
>>
>>94028206
If I remember Lucifer right, I think "God" just chilled doing nothing after creation and then decided he had been bored long enough and wanted to fuck off out of the universe, which then started to breakdown because he left.

In Lucifer it seemed very much that the angels were doing whatever they wanted as long as it kind of seemed to be in line with what God would have maybe done.
>>
File: Lucifer - Book One-006.jpg (1MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
Lucifer - Book One-006.jpg
1MB, 1988x3056px
>>94030545
That is definitely how it happened and worked in the Lucifer series, but that series is not exactly in line with the rest of the DCU. Carey wrote it as a spin off of Sandman and working within Hellblazer continuity, but it never had any of the overt references to the DCU. It seems to exist in it's own little bit of continuity, because the changes to the power structures of Heaven and Hell (Ellaine in Heaven, Hell restructured) were not carried over into the DCU.
Hellblazer itself only crossed over into regular DCU when Zatanna and Swamp Thing made a handful of guest appearances.
>>
>>94030711
>Hellblazer itself only crossed over into regular DCU when Zatanna and Swamp Thing made a handful of guest appearances.
And by the end of Hellblazer John had like a 30 year age difference between Vertigo and DCU Johns.
>>
>>94030760
Shit, I had that in my head when I was writing that post but forgot about that. That is the single biggest thing, plus there was some weirdness with meeting Rac Shade, and that guy was supposed to be on a different Earth or something.
>>
God has abdicated his throne and now fucks around doing whatever he wants.
The Multiversity Guidebook's entry for Heaven states that:
>The Silver City. The Word of the Voice. Home of the Spectre, Zauriel and the Guardian Angel Hosts of the Pax Dei - The Bull Host, The Eagle Host, The Lion Host, and the Host of Adam.
Hell:
>Known to some as Sheol, or Jigoku, the burning iron Place of Torment is home to Neron, Belial, Trigon, Azazel, Abnegazar, Rath, Ghast and the Demon Etrigan - high on a list of a legion of fiends. Here are the Djinns and the Fallen Angels, and the Haters of Humanity, waiting...
>>
>>94030842
>Trigon is directly linked to Hell
Good to know
>>
>lawfags
do you ever get tired of that yellow floating head?
>>
So the current DC god is Ellaine Beloc, right?
>>
>>94028370
>If everything in the Bible was right

That's a big "if." It's entirely possible for the abrahamic god to exist but the bible describes him inaccurately, ascribing to him traits which he doesn't have. Perhaps stuff which his followers in their zeal put in there because they thought it was true, or because they thought it would please him to have them include.

He could very easily exist and not be morally perfect or all-powerful or all-knowing, much like the other gods of the DCU, but he's just got such phenomenal PR over the course of centuries that people assume a great deal more of him than is actually true.
>>
God's authority would be strongly improved if he showed himself to more than, say, Lucifer and the occasionally cape.
>>
>>94031079
No. You aren't even trying.
>>
>>94028206

Maybe the Presence is NOT the Abrahamic God? And their Bible might not even be our Bible. Alternative history in a alternative reality means that even the "holy" books can be something different.
>>
>>94028790
>>94029343

Stop being assholes /co/. I'm sick of this boards inability to have civil discourse. /pol/ can generate better discussion than you guys and that's goddamn said since 99% of /pol/ is bait.
>>
>>94028206
The bible was still written by men.
>>
File: leave.jpg (20KB, 400x445px) Image search: [Google]
leave.jpg
20KB, 400x445px
>>94029836
leave, you're ruining the thread
>>
>>94032701
I just don't get how OP can assume that the Abrahamic God was the absolute moral authority in DC. Greek Gods walk around, We see resurrection and reincarnation happen in every other instance. Shouldn't that tell you that the Presence/Source is not the same God depicted in the holy bible?
>>
File: Lucifer16.jpg (631KB, 1230x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Lucifer16.jpg
631KB, 1230x1920px
This guy is his son and you're asking questions?
>>
>>94032701
Maybe you should go back to /pol/.
>>
What god says is not what is written in a book. What is written in a book is what man heard when god spoke. Then passed over and edited a thousand times and then translated another hundred.

A book can claim to be the word of god. But it's a book. It had a author and a editor and god never needed either. If god was to talk and guide man through life it wouldn't have made being able to read a prerequisite
>>
>>94028423
How is that Batman's fault from a religious perpective?
>>
>>94028206
One of the major points of that story was that no one really knew what the hell God was on about. Another point was to defy god because of personal ethics
>>
it just works
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.