[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hiveworks - unraveling the enigma?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

File: flourishmill.jpg (34KB, 503x269px) Image search: [Google]
flourishmill.jpg
34KB, 503x269px
Hi, /co/.
Some context: A friend and I are working on a Comic (I'm the writer, he's the Artist) and we plan to apply to hiveworks in fall this year (they have switched to year long submissions recently).

However, there are many unanswered questions about how Hiveworks operate. Please note that there is barely any Information about this, whether the hiveworks Homepage or anywhere else - and those you can find are ambigous or questionable. We hope, that some people on this board (maybe even former applicants) can shine some light on these issues:

1. Editorial practices: Does hiveworks provide Feedback for their artists? Do they demand alterations and / or make commisions like most print Publishers do?

2. Payment: How does hiveworks compensate their artists? Ad-Revenue, fixed salary, per-page payments? Again, no Information on this anywhere. Recently we've even heard that, in fact, the artists have to pay for hiveworks' services.

3. Copyright: Does the Copyright stay with the creators, get signed over or is there an in-between solution? Again, very conflicting info on this.

4. General trivia, experiences and opinions.

Thanks in advance!
>>
File: faq1.png (89KB, 1127x643px) Image search: [Google]
faq1.png
89KB, 1127x643px
From the hiveworks Homepage:
1/2

Pretty much all the other infromation is on the specifics of how the Submission should look.

Issues 1. and 2. aren't mentioned whatsoever and 3. only in relation to the Submission, not the release itself.
>>
File: faq2.png (88KB, 1123x591px) Image search: [Google]
faq2.png
88KB, 1123x591px
2/2
>>
>>94014755
I work with them and I'm not even the only person on the board who does/has.

1. They really don't seem to bother me or my team with editorial demands. Apparently they have with others. But they seem fairly hands-off with us. I honestly cannot remember the last suggestion they've made

2. We get a monthly stipend. Others get per page rates, or salaries, or ad revenue. It seems to differ from comic to comic.

3. We own everything except the exclusive global rights to distribute it as an online comic. But everything from IP to global printing in any language that isn't English is ours and ours alone.

4. I don't think people even realize we're on Hiveworks. We've been gaining traction, but my penciller/inker's other online comic is much more well-known.
I like things though. Keeps the comic running, not a lot of interference and I've only met good people since joining. I don't really know about whatever negative stuff is happening anywhere. I don't really talk with anyone about it. But it probably exists. I don't really talk to others about the great stuff either. The whole thing is a much more individualized experience than many would have you believe.

Anyway, good luck, anon!
>>
>>94015435
Thank you very much, anon.

Speaking from experience, would you recommend to debute at hiveworks or do a practice Comic first (something we've been discussing) to get a hang of fanbase intercation and how to handle the online Framework (Twitter, Tumblr, possible pateron etc)?

I'm relatively optimistic about the Submission - my Partner has very good art and our concept has mainstream Appeal: Fantasy Setting, female Protagonist, relatively fast-paced. I know this all sounds a bit analytical but I'm very passionate about my Comic. I just want to handel it as intelligently as possible since it's a huge time- (and emotional) Investment.
>>
>>94015784
They're very into acquiring stuff that already has a fanbase but lately they've been into growing new comics out of fresh pitches. Our comic debuted there.

But a practice comic unrelated to this pitch is a good idea no matter what. Even if you weren't planning to go over to Hiveworks it's something I highly recommend.

My penciller/inker said that people always worry about not being able to finish stuff. But he just started on an idea he liked and later on he finished a story and now had an entire story to show people and sell them on his work/himself.
>>
>>94015913
Thanks again.
We'll go for the practice Comic, I think. We have two ideas and one is a two-page mini Comic which should be easily doable and get us some Feedback.

Work managment is a huge issue for us too. The Comic we want to submit has currently three written / storyboarded chapters of approx. 30 pages each. According to hiveworks we could apply with three finished pages but we want to apply with the first chapter completed. We decided on this as a backlog / contingency - over at hyw we recently talked to an anon who had a very high Quality Comic going and got accepted at hiveworks. But he had to refuse because, apparently, he couldn't meet the page / release schedule hiveworks demanded. How lenient is the Editorial on delays, hiatuses etc. ? This is something we Need to consider since we're both in Uni and my Partner works part-time on top...
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.