[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Heavy Metal magazine has been going for 40 years this year. I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: Heavy Metal 276.jpg (201KB, 500x680px) Image search: [Google]
Heavy Metal 276.jpg
201KB, 500x680px
Heavy Metal magazine has been going for 40 years this year. I never see any Heavy Metal threads on /co/. Lets have one.

Im considering signing up for the 3 year subscription.
>>
File: royo_covers_10.jpg (129KB, 500x679px) Image search: [Google]
royo_covers_10.jpg
129KB, 500x679px
>>94005933
Heavy Metal is the reason I begin working in the art industry and now work as a art director for a screen print company in Florida (we are one of three screen print companies in the United States Disney uses). The covers were, and always have been, amazing (in particular Royo and Bisley). Back in the 70s and 80s this magazine could do not wrong in my eyes.

Now it is a bit lack luster, but still has some awesome gems in it from time to time.
>>
Did Grant Morrison's reign live up to the hype?
>>
>>94006034
No. It is the same as before. It is like he is using it to promote himself more than anything. Is what it is though.
>>
I'd never really paid much attention to Heavy Metal but once I heard Grant Morrison was made EiC, I picked up the most recent issue and liked what I read. Morrison's essay on Mag!c and will really spoke to me and got me in a writing mood again. Can't wait to see what else he's got in store for the magazine.
>>
File: YOTSUBAsmile.jpg (45KB, 393x289px) Image search: [Google]
YOTSUBAsmile.jpg
45KB, 393x289px
>got given a box full of like 30 heavy metal books ranging from the 70s up to mid 2000's
>>
File: sad.gif (561KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
sad.gif
561KB, 500x282px
>>94006060
Jealous.
>>
>>94005933
heavy metal is more well suited to /aco/ because of all the explicit sex
>>
>>94006190
You do not read it that much huh? It does not have a lot of sex scenes in it. Nudity at times, but sex is not really that common.
>>
>>94006190

Theres lots of amazing stories in it with no nudity at all
>>
>>94006034
Nope. It basically landed with a huge dud.

Also, no one gives a shit about Heavy Metal.

In it's "glory days" of the early/mid-80s, it basically was only good because it reprinted existing material in English in a time where there was no other way to get it legit. And even then, Marvel ended up co-opting it via Epic Illustrated and signing a huge deal to release their own English translation of Mobieus' more mainstream friendly works.

Then Kevin Eastman bought the magazine with his Ninja Turtle money, and finished off killing the magazine/turned it into a zombie book to promote his trophy wife's modeling career/churn out cheap nudy stories from perverted US illustrators, as Eastman basically decided to kill the book's credibility to go after the Playbot/Penthouse audience who just wanted to jerk off to boobies.
>>
>>94006358

Wow I didnt even know abotu any of that stuff. They really fucked it huh?

Is it still worth reading? Do they just use "underground" artists now to make little graphic novels for them?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.