[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you don't get into the industry by 25, will you ever?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 10

File: hirsch.jpg (437KB, 768x641px) Image search: [Google]
hirsch.jpg
437KB, 768x641px
If you don't get into the industry by 25, will you ever?
>>
If you're not in by 25 you've probably accepted it and moved on.
>>
>>93991137
A guy who works for Marvel and DC didn't start drawing until his mid-30's.
>>
Depends on how bad you want it.
>>
>>93991137
Alan Rickman was 39 when he got his first successful acting role.
>>
>>93991137
Isn't this guy the exception? It seems like most seasoned animators are old as fuck famalam.
>>
>>93991137
>>93991214
I got in at 28, and I know several people who took even longer. It's not that uncommon.
>>
There's a famous Looney Tunes director who got into the industry in his 40s.
>>
>>93991137
No. It's different for everyone. Stop projecting your self-defeating anxieties onto the rest of us.
>>
I'm 24 in October I never asked to be born I hate myself but I won't kill myself until my elderly parents pass away they are the only reason I put in the effort to go to school get a job and appear to socialize wew that was enough truth for a while time to go back to burying my feelings way down deep
>>
Any good colleges other than the obvious one?
Do you need connections?
>>
>>93991442
Connections are very important. Depending on what college you go to, you could have more opportunities for making connections.
>>
>>93991434
Relax. Either you're passionate, or you're interested.

Interested people usually don't make it. So if it's not your driving force, find something else
>>
>>93991137
Connections are important.

>>93991434
What this got to do with the thread?
>>
>>93991434
Don't let your age determine your dedication. If you want something badly enough, then you should pursue it no matter what.
>>
>>93991137
Not true at all.
>>
>>93991137
There are multiple examples of people in their 30s or even 40s breaking into a creative industry.

There is no guarantee you'll ever work in the industry except for having strong connections. Money, family, and giving blowjobs help, more or less in that order.

Otherwise it's a combination of persistence, talent, and luck.
>>
>>93991607
Good thing I'm willing to give blowjobs
>>
>>93991137
Tfw I'm 27

I'm losing hope...
>>
>>93991644
Just keep working towards it. Learn and improve as much as you can.
>>
>>93991644
Hey I'm 30, but never leaving my basement means I've at least still got my youthful good looks.
>>
>>93991137
I don't think I'll make it to 25.
>>
>tfw writing modern day live action film adaptation, about a live action film director who takes a stupid job so that he can one day create the animated epic science fiction movie he envisions despite being unable to draw
>>
As long as you are a decent artist you can get in literally any time
>>
>>93991137
I think I lost my Dipper mask
>>
>>93991137
Daron Nefcy started 2 years a go (she's 32).

Besides, you can always strive to do your own unique thing. So age doesn't really matter. Only passion and hard work.
>>
>>93992310
>tfw 21
>tfw head baker at top restaurant
>tfw several underlings below me to casually abuse and banter with
>tfw could stay on this career path and end up fairly successful
>tfw still trying to make comics because it's what I love

If you don't love your life money is unimportant
>>
>>93992310
>Male flight attendant wagecuck too scared to confront the big bad boogeyman outlined in /pol/ shitposts
>>
>>93992310
>Be 18 going to school for video games
>Graduate and get internship at Ubisoft, which leads me to entry level job at Netherrealms
>Realize how terrible, nepotistic, and volatile game industry is, quit 2 months in
>Turn 360 degrees and never come back
>Enjoy playing and making games as a hobby while doing a job I actually love (teaching kids) while unironically making more money

Unless you have creative freedom or are in upper management the creative production side of the entertainment industry is asscancer
>>
>>93992386
>25
>Head of Security for a Government Organization.
>When not stressing and tormenting rookies I use my free time to do drawing exercises.
>When I get back home, I spend my free time studying fundamentals and implementing them in projects.
>Drawing is the passion of my life and I'll do whatever it takes to make it my main thing and leave my mark one way or another.

Fight the good fight anon and never give up on your dream and passion.
>>
>>93991330
And Morgan Freeman was 43. Pretty amazing actually.
>>
>>93992445
I wonder how it is for writing novels? Don't you just write what you want, send it in to publishers, and with enough skill and luck, they will find it profitable and publish it?
>>
>>93992586
You probably won't get anything without an agent. It's why people who care about novels all do that self-publishing stuff I've never actually seen anyone read.
>>
>>93991482
Also, make friends in online artist communities. Tumblr, Instagram, etc. are all replacing traditional art profiles and they can be shared, saved, promoted, and distributed almost for free. Have a strong online showing and reach out to those above you, including rising talent. Someone might see something and be able to pass it onto someone else looking for it.

Source: Dating a non-artist who works in the industry.
>>
>>93991434
just ignore it
you and i know its never going to happen, so does everyone else
but as long as you ignore the fact that you got cheated by life and you cant possibly find any success you can keep doing it. Ignore it, dont question it
And some day when you are in so much debt you could never support yourself and its way too late to try and save yourself and try to build something out of the mud that is your life, when ignoring it is no longer possible no matter how much you try then you let it all in and let it destroy you
its the only way, supress everything thata tells you no into a tiny ball and hide it deep inside your mind, whatever happens happens thats how you cope with life
>>
>>93992771
>Tumblr
maybe you should inspect the gas pipes in your home by opning every burner in your stove and letting them run without lighting fire all night
>>
File: trigger.png (815KB, 666x691px) Image search: [Google]
trigger.png
815KB, 666x691px
>>93993042
>>
>>93992771
Just being online isn't enough;places like tumblr and instagram have so much stuff getting pumped out everyday by nonprofessionals that nobody with any authority is ever going to actively sift through it.

Also the "artist community" on those sites is like 90% teenagers.
>>
>>93991137
You "could" get in at any age but if you mean actually getting your show greenlit, it actually airs, finds success, etc. it's like winning the lottery, so not worth worrying about. Even people who are elderly do break into a new industry and become wildly successful sometimes, think of Colonel Sanders or Grandma Moses, but hardly anybody young or old actually does that, since it's not worth thinking about as a big possibility.

It's like asking, "If you haven't been struck by lightning by 25, will you ever?"

All of this changes if you have connections, though. That's the main thing. Are you growing up in a connected family in the entertainment industry, surrounded by friends and family in the entertainment industry, well-to-do? Then your odds are a whole lot better.
>>
>Close to 31
>finally got my life together
>moved to a city I really dig.
>got job that sees me in the 97th percentile of all earners in a major metropolitan area
>don't have to think about the job outside the 8 hours I have to do it every day,
>love said job.
>still working hard in comics and finally getting somewhere
>book coming out from a real publisher soon
>agents and artists alike want to work with me now that I'm not so desperate to make it.

Living the dream.
>>
You could get "in" at any moment.
All you need is to find/buy the proper connection. You can also bruteforce your way in with money.
>>
>>93991434
IKTF. I just want to die.
>>
>>93993805
That's why when someone is seriously committed to actually marketing themselves, they can rise to the top. Start with popular fandoms even if you aren't in them to gain front page views and likes and pepper it with good original stuff. People with power have feeds like everyone else and see the very popular stuff.
>>
>>93991137
>If you don't get into the industry by 25, will you ever?
Look at the current state of Cartoons and then ask yourself, do you really want to get into the industry when most of the cartoons could make anyone cry? Personally i'm glad im not in it
>>
>>93991137
I dunno, OP, barring suicide, obesity (where do you think you are.jpg) or some other condition, and given the increasing rate of technological change, you could live for a very long time indeed.
25 or even 50 seems pretty early to give in the first world of the 21st century.
wtf else you gonna do until you die?
>>
>>93991137
I don't think I'll make it to 25. I'm constantly anxious and worried that something bad is going to happen to me. Because I have managed to see too much fucking awful shit within my life, or know too many fucked up things that have happened to other people I know. It's been worse recently because I've developed a phobia and I can't think straight for shit. I've been contemplating suicide just a little bit, but I won't bring myself to do it because they are people in my life who I care about and who care about me. I just want the sadness and trauma to end, but it's fucking stupid because I can't get over it.
>>
File: shine box.jpg (64KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
shine box.jpg
64KB, 500x375px
I am 20 with no experience but i want to get in with at least writing cartoons

I want to start writing comedy as a start. is stand up a good start
>>
>>93994855

if that's all true then i'm happy for you anon.

age doesn't matter, but work ethic
>>
How weird is it to be 25+ and be in college?
For those who did go/are in, how common was it for older people to attend?

Both fortunately and unfortunately I still look 17 but I'm 26.
>>
>>93999839
Tons of different shed people go
>>
>>93996784
fuck you for blogposting but also same
>>
>>93999989
*aged
>>
>>93999997
i hope i get 940000000
>>
>>93999839
>Both fortunately and unfortunately I still look 17 but I'm 26.
Same, i'm 22 but look 14-15
>>
>>93999997
>>94000024
>>93999999
>>94000000
>>
>>93991137
>Be 25
>Graduated with animation degree two years ago
>Get rejected from a couple of big name studios during that time
>Even get told by one movie studio that my work wasn't very good
>Watch friends apply to same studios and get in
>Some of whom are worse artists than me

A bit concerning.
>>
I'm 19 and going to school majoring in Studio Art/Graphic Design, starting my second year next month and want nothing more than to work on/create my own cartoon. Everyone either doesn't support me or shows no interest in what I want to accomplish, and that makes me feel down. I'm not horrible at art by any means, but I was far from the best in my class and all of this mixed with the looming debt make me fucking terrified I'm gonna ruin my life and lead it nowhere.
>>
>25
>Dropped out of college twice (private then community)
>Teach myself art by hanging with professors anyway
>Get stress free job as a groundskeeper
>Work on drawing in my free time
>Setting solid dates for projects
>hopefully publishing a webcomic in the fall

Happier than I've ever been. It's never about age. If you do what you love, money don't mattah
>>
Oh please. Plenty of artists don't get into comics until they've done work in other fields.

Mark Bagley was a technical artist at Lockheed Martin for years before he did a marvel try out book because he was bored at work.
>>
>>93991137
If you aren't a successful entrepeneur by 25, you will depend on wages all your live. Welcome to the 10s.
>>
>>93992330
>Started two years ago

You mean she got her own show two years ago. She's been in the industry since at least 2010.
>>
File: plankton.jpg (198KB, 640x562px) Image search: [Google]
plankton.jpg
198KB, 640x562px
>>93999839
I'm lucky to look 19 when I'm actually 27.

Not that it matters because I've been expelled from two colleges and am trying my third one because what else am I gonna do? Death simply doesn't come as quickly as one could wish it to.
>>
>>93991330
>Alan Rickman was 39 when he got his first successful acting role.
And look at him now!
>>
>>93999839
I have people old enough to have kids and families in my class.

Unfortunately family obligations make them really shit at their school work, so the take away from this is it's fine to be old and in school as long as you're a no gf loser so your focus isn't split.
>>
>>94000924
>I have people old enough to have kids and families in my class
that really doesn't fucking mean much
>>
File: 1497723144225.png (2MB, 630x628px) Image search: [Google]
1497723144225.png
2MB, 630x628px
>>93991137
"Don't let your dreams be dreams," he posted before contemplating suicide for the 5th time that day.
>>
>>93991385
Elaborate.
>>
>>93991434
Are you me from 2 years ago?
>>
>>93991829
I worked night shift for several years. It's left me chronically depressed but with beautiful, youthful skin.
>>
>>93992386
Not that I'm not happy that you're following your dream, but a lot of us don't get money or the chance to live our passion. I'd rather be unhappy with money than unhappy and poor.
>>
>>94000924
>as long as you're a no gf loser so your focus isn't split.
Nah. no gf losers's focus is split between fapping and shitposting on 4chan. They aren't capable of discipline or responsibility.

t. a no gf loser NEET
>>
>>93992524
Really? That actually brightened me up a bit.
>>
File: 1314299764729.png (17KB, 488x439px) Image search: [Google]
1314299764729.png
17KB, 488x439px
>>93991330
>>93992524
...are you people seriously comparing yourselves to Alan Rickman and Morgan Freeman?
>>
> tfw 49
> going in for an angiogram next Wednesday
> if they see a couple obstructions, they do a couple of stents and I go home the next day
> if they see more I get my chest cracked and a bypass done
> if they see none I'm pretty much fucked
> a fuckup on the operating table could kill me

Don't take this the wrong way but christ there are a lot of faggots ITT. Then again I was about the same at 25 which is probably why I'm NOT having a midlife crisis now.
>>
>>94001123
I feel like I've been having a midlife crisis since I was 17 (ten years ago). But then again, that could be the depression and abusive childhood talking.
>>
>>93991137
TVsKyle is like 40 years old
>>
File: marcvs aurelivs.jpg (78KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
marcvs aurelivs.jpg
78KB, 850x400px
>>94001123
>>
>>94000978
I mean kids not babies. Children at the age where they really need a dad in their life. You know college aged people with kids and families? Like, 21, 22 year olds? Damn your generation is fuuucked.
>>
>>94001178
Sounds very buddhist, in a defeatist kind of way.
>>
>>94000756
How did you get expelled?
>>
>>94001115
You never know know anon, Maybe one of these fags will become a big star in the future.
>>
>>94001548
freaking sucked thats how
>>
>>94001003
Dunno if you're still around, but what exactly is there to elaborate on? I got my first job in the industry at 28. I'm not going to tell you where I work or what exactly I do.
>>
>>94002673
I guess that's fair, but it's hard to trust internet randos when they claim to have cool jobs.
>>
>>93991385

32 for me. Finally making the move out to LA helped.
>>
>>94002796
I mean, even if you don't trust me personally, you can find accounts online of artists talking about when they "made it." I think Steven Ahn didn't break in until he was at least 25, maybe even older.

I'm just saying it's not that rare, and the fact that so many aspiring artists make a huge deal out of not having a job in the industry by an arbitrary age is silly. I will say that living in Los Angeles and connecting with industry artists there helps a shitload, though.
>>
The person who made this post is probably 18.

Life happens, shit fucks up, and it's not uncommon for people to take a little while to get their shit together. For most people their 20s are really turbulent.
>>
>>94002907
>I will say that living in Los Angeles and connecting with industry artists there helps a shitload, though.
As someone who's lived in the south/midwest his entire life, I can tell you this is part of what frustrates people.
>>
>>93991137
I have a coworker who got into the industry as a second career out of the military. He was close to 40.
>>
>>93991137
>tfw im 19
I aint never gonna make it
>>
>>93992026
There are shit-tons of decent artists who can't break into the industry.

There are shit-tons of bad artists who are extremely successful.
>>
An artist told me at a convention mnost people don't start until they get to there thirties, so there's still time to get a job in the industry.
>>
>>93991137
If anything you're more likely to get in after you're 25.
>>
>>93991137
No
But to be fair, even if you tried to do it before 25, you still wouldn't have gotten into the industry
>>
Anon, it's animation, not professional sports.
I finished art school at 25 (everyone starts late here) worked for a year at a shitty games company that didn't produce a single game, then became a freelancer who does 2D animation for all sorts of companies. None of them even know or care what I look like.
If your idea of the industry is only LA then I'm not quite there, though as a non American making it there would be infinitely tougher then for an American.

Just one thing though since you posted a picture of Alex Hirsch - people like him and Rebecca Sugar shouldn't be your measure for success. They got incredibly lucky.
>>
>>93999839
I turn 19 in a month and I'm going back to start a course after dropping out of one last year and dropping out of school the year before.

I also look younger than I am, am legitimately considering hanging around 17 year olds and pretend I'm younger than I am
>>
>>93996109
>I'll get a job if lots of fifteen year old girls look at my Undertale fanart
It's absolutely useless other than having an online platform to organize your best pieces to show to actual professionals
>>
File: IMG_8227.jpg (172KB, 1780x1125px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8227.jpg
172KB, 1780x1125px
If you don't get into the industry by 25, just shut up, get a fiancé or fiancée and tolerate them when they become annoying as fuck then bear and raise a child that you never really wanted in the first place.

FTFY
>>
>>93991137
>pic of calarts fucker born into wealth and privilege

25 is not old, but even so, you probably never had a chance to get into the exclusive hollywood animation clique. they don't want you, because they already have enough people just like you, clambering desperately for the same job. You realize that you're not just competing with other 25 year olds, but also with people twice your age? the industry is a pyramid scheme.

this doesn't mean you have no chance at success. there are other opportunities, and they are all around you. stop trying to get into the pool and embrace the sea
>>
>>94007359
I got jobs thanks to my Steven Universe fanart.
15 years old girls reblog it and spread it around and eventually it gets to people in the industry. Twitter is best for job finding for some reason.
>>
File: 1365284093941.jpg (77KB, 500x385px) Image search: [Google]
1365284093941.jpg
77KB, 500x385px
>>93991137
>93991137
I don't think age plays a part unless you're an actor. It's just that combination of luck and skill.
>>
>>93991434
At least pull something better than randy stair after you make up your mind to an hero. /co/ deserves a better high score.
>>
>>93992514
21 and fresh graduate here, I will forever chase the drawing path even tho I joined the hospitality industry and one day I will be able to wake up not worry about which event shall take place in the grand hotel.
>>
>>93991137

>If you don't get into the industry by 25, will you ever?

Connections/nepotism is your greatest ally, if you are a jew that is (like Hirsch and Rebecca Sugar), if not you need to be talented as fuck.
Thread posts: 104
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.