[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does Superman make sense?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

Can someone explain to me the logic behind Superman's power? I've repeatedly been told that his power is unlimited and his source of power is from a yellow sun whose power is finite. He has this ability because of his Kryptonian genetics and (to my knowledge) any of the millions (billions, trillions?) Kryptonians that had perviously existed would also have this power but they're dead now so it's okay. Is my understanding correct and if so, does this make any damn sense? How did they evolve to be this way? Is any of this explained in the comics?
>>
>>93964580
Superman has be collecting solar energy for at least 35 years. His power is called Infinite because they don't have any way to properly measure it.
>>
>>93964580
>Is my understanding correct
No.
>>
>>93964621
He's been collecting it from our sun though, right? Couldn't all other Kryptonians do this?
>>93964641
Cool. Explain why I'm wrong, please.
>>
1) It's a comic book and was not designed by physicists. There have been attempts to explain it but they're fucking retarded like "tactile telekinesis". The fact is, it's impossible, there is no way to explain it without making it a completely different power altogether.

2) The power of the sun is not "finite", it's a giant fusion reactor. It's constantly generating massive amounts of power.

3) How did anything evolve to be how it is? Krypton was a planet orbiting a red sun, which generates less solar power than a yellow one. This is why Kryptonians didn't have powers on their world and resembled normal humans.

The entirety of the explanation is that a yellow sun gives a Kryptonian so much power that they can do things like fly and expel energy from their eyes. On Krypton, under a red sun, they only absorb enough power to fulfill their body's needs. That's all there is.
>>
>>93964693
That last part I never knew. So they always got strength from a sun but theirs was weak. If they hadn't all died then the DCU would be all kinds of broken then.
>>
>>93964683
>Cool. Explain why I'm wrong, please.
You've already been spoon fed your answers.

This could have been avoided with a simple Google, anon. Or by reading the very first issue.
>>
>>93964580
>a yellow sun whose power is finite
while technically finite the amount of energy that a star makes is so fucking huge that its difficult to accurately describe in a way you can picture. literally astronomical amounts of power.

Superman is so OP compared to other kryptonians because he has been exposed to this energy for much longer than any of the few who still are alive.
>>
>>93964782
Going by that logic, it should be impossible for him to make vast, sustained leaps in power, correct?
>>
>>93964580
It's been brought up at least once in the comic that being powered by the sun is mathematically impossible. His powers are tied to the sun though.

To be fair most comic fans give it the same treatment as the speedforce, meaning "Dont have to explain shit."

Yeah it means one story he might struggle to move a planet and another he can fly faster than the speed of light. The authors not truly understanding the former is infinitely easier than the later.

>>93964693
>2) The power of the sun is not "finite", it's a giant fusion reactor. It's constantly generating massive amounts of power.

No it's definitely finite. It's exhaustible and has limit power output. The problem being the amount of power that reaches superman doesn't make logical sense. Even collecting power for 35 years, he does not have enough surface area to collect what he needs to do what he does.
>>
>>93964823
No because of the way solar radiation dissipates and is blocked by the ionosphere and magnetosphere. There's a reason why several stories have had Supes fly close to the sun and absorb more energy.
>>
>a yellow sun whose power is finite.
Yes, but the way Superman's body metabolizes the sunlight is unknown. At his highest showings Superman has displayed more power than the Sun can output.

>>93964823
No, he can go inside the core to supercharge himself.
>>
Based on what everyone is saying, the Kryptonians could have been universe conquerors, going from solar system to solar system, depleting the energy of Suns as they go along and doing whatever they want.
>>
>>93964899
>Yes, but the way Superman's body metabolizes the sunlight is unknown. At his highest showings Superman has displayed more power than the Sun can output.
If you go by all-star superman, he can actually keeps a dying sun running and eventually becomes a god.
>>
>>93964955
They didn't know they had those powers.
>>
>>93964972
All-star is pretty weak, actually. Mainstream Superman is more powerful.
>>
>>93965018
I was more referring to the fact that he was more powerful than his source of power.
>>
Half of Superman's rogues are stronger than him, so no, his power is not infinite.
>>
https://youtu.be/ZZEJ3T3ryQY
>>
>>93964580
>is from a yellow sun whose power is finite
Yup, there's that sweet DBZ salt again. If you're going to o this, then try NOT saying the same thing the idiots in the youtube comments say every 5 seconds. The sun's output from moment to moment may be finite, but do you know what a BATTERY is?
>>
>>93965042
Ah, yes.

>>93965087
>Half of Superman's rogues are stronger than him

Only until he stops holding back, then he far outclasses everyone. Take Doomsday for example, canonically Superman couldn't even hurt DD until he cut loose. Then he killed him in 5-6 shots.
>>
>>93965098
Batteries have capacities and blow up if overcharged.
>>
>Can someone explain to me the logic behind Spiderman's power? I've repeatedly been told that he have great power and speed and that his source of power is from a spider bite. He has this ability because the spider who bit him was irradiated and (to my knowledge) any of the millions (billions, trillions?) Humans that had perviously existed would also have this power but they didn't get bitten so it's okay. Is my understanding correct and if so, does this make any damn sense? How did they evolve to be this way? Is any of this explained in the comics?

And you can do it for any other hero and they'll all sound stupid. It's just a fucking comicbook character.
>>
>>93964733
Supes keep Kandor as a bottle for a reason and Zod is a legit threat for the same reason
>>
File: Superman_Prime.jpg (377KB, 750x1396px) Image search: [Google]
Superman_Prime.jpg
377KB, 750x1396px
>>93965138
Superman is a battery with no limit. Case in point.
>>
>>93965211
DC 1 Mil shouldn't really count. He's also a lantern and can create life from will and a bunch of other bullshit powers
>>
>>93965181
Are you just passing through? People talk about comics here.
>>
>>93965230
Yes, he visited other stars, trained with the Source an can tap into the powers of his bloodline, anything one of his descendants can do, he can do. But that's not the point. 850,000 years later, still gaining power with no signs of stopping.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.