[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If he had chosen to be more like Goku instead of Superman he

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 6

File: irongiant-1.jpg (75KB, 1024x597px) Image search: [Google]
irongiant-1.jpg
75KB, 1024x597px
If he had chosen to be more like Goku instead of Superman he could've just blasted the missile out of the sky with a Kamehameha or some shit instead of blowing up like a retard.
>>
>>93961594
But he chose to be a pacifist, not a saiyan
>>
>>93961658
You can be a pacifist and still use laser beams. There was no reason for the Giant to not use his crazy alien weapons to shoot down the nuke and live happily ever after.
>>
>>93961848

But he did live, asshole.
>>
>>93961594

If he had chosen to be more like Goku instead of Superman he would have had a son and sent him to take care of the missile, only to realize his son can't handle that shit and sacrifice himself when the missile explodes, only for the missile to regenerate itself more powerful than ever and return to Earth to fight his son again
>>
And that's why only teenagers like DBZ.
>>
>>93961594
the hero we need

https://youtu.be/-_Z0tbg6Phs
>>
>>93961594
I think you're rather missing the point here, OP.

The reason he couldn't use his guns is because his gun subsystems were directly tied to his rage and bloodlust. He couldn't have activated them unless he had a reckless disregard for life, but then he wouldn't have had any reason to save everyone to begin with.

He literally was a weapon, but the only way he fired was if his anger pulled the trigger. It all ties back into a giant (heh) visual allegory for the old adage- guns don't kill people, PEOPLE kill people. You can only truly murder someone once you hate them more than you love them; guns don't make pacifists into murderers and their absence doesn't make aspirant killers into lambs, they just make the inevitable happen that much faster.

The obvious loophole is that he could just hate the missile and blow it to hell, but seeing as his last fit of rage destroyed half the town and only through sheer luck didn't leave a corresponding body count to match, I believe he was too terrified of what he was capable of and couldn't summon that concentrated hatred again- certainly not in time to stop the missile.

The only option left was to stop the missile mid-flight as a person, not as a gun.
>>
>>93961594

There is also the fact that it's set in the fucking cold war. Goku didn't exist at that point
>>
>>93961594
The Iron Giant is way more like Goku than Superman anyway.

They're all aliens who crash landed on earth but only 2 of them
>were sent to earth to conquer it
>hit their head and forget their original purpose
>sacrifice themselves to save everyone from an explosion (Cell)
>>
>>93961924
I´m not crying, you are crying.
>>
>>93962122
Iron Giant Super reveals he dooms us all with his friendship to child gods
>>
>you go, I stay. No following
>>
>>93961594
So you mean he powers up for 20 episodes.
O well, the bomb has hit ground
there all fucking dead.
all of them.
>>
>>93962439
And then he wishes them back with the soviet dragon balls
>>
>>93961594
>>93961924
A better Superman movie then Man of Steel.
>>
>>93962758
what about three and four?
>>
>>93961594
If it did just shot the missile down, how much longer until someone else tries to destroy it? It's better if the world thinks it's destroyed, otherwise the people around him will just get caught in another nuclear blast.

I'm not saying power always invites opposition, but in this case a giant robot with the capability to destroy a city in a day is too good of an advantage to ignore. Shit would hit the fan.
>>
>>93962462
so another 20 episodes of nothing happening.
yay.
>>
>>93962042
>He literally was a weapon, but the only way he fired was if his anger pulled the trigger.
He almost blew Hogar's head off when he had a squirt gun, so that's objectively incorrect.
>>
>>93961594
How does one miss the point of the movie so hard?
>>
>>93962357

Has anyone called out Goku for being a massive piece of shit for dooming trillions upon trillions of lives yet, all in the name of his selfish desire to fight strong things at any cost?
>>
>>93962825
Are you talking about this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qi8Yxn9-lo
This scene, clearly showing the giant getting a war trauma trigger from the gun that subconsciously unlocked something dormant in the giant, and which he clearly didn't mean to do, let alone have control over?
That's what you're going to reference to show he has enough control over his guns to put down a missile?
>>
>>93962923
Everyday on /a/. He's pretty much the villain of the show now.
>>
>>93962962
>This scene, clearly showing the giant getting a war trauma trigger from the gun that subconsciously unlocked something dormant in the giant, and which he clearly didn't mean to do, let alone have control over?
Wait, is the Giant a metaphor for PTSD?
>>
>>93962983

I meant within the show itself.
Or has nobody in universe realized that Vegeta turned into Goku and Goku turned into Vegeta.
>>
>>93963010
>People being weapons even when they don't want or mean to be
>"You are who you choose to be!"

...Huh.
>>
>>93961594
I love you OP
>>
>>93962962
No, I'm saying that his guns weren't activated by autistic rage, so your analysis is fucking stupid.

They were activated by people shooting him, which would make him enter "war mode" or whatever, where he wasn't in control of his actions.

The only question is whether he would interpret a nuke as "being shot at", not whatever faggot shit you're on about.
>>
File: Queen_News_Of_The_World.png (203KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Queen_News_Of_The_World.png
203KB, 300x300px
Why does he always remind me of news of the world?
>>
>>93962758
Better man of steel than the man of steel.
>>
>>93963031
Not that I'm aware of. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
>>93963010
The movie takes place in 1957. I don't think it's too far fetched to compare the Giant to a soldier with PTSD. Imo, the only way it could be more obvious is if he had a flamethrower.
>>
File: 1488684243098[1].png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1488684243098[1].png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>93963031
Everyone from the other universes hates and shits on Goku, including the HEROES OF JUSTICE OF THE BRAVE AND BEAUTIFUL UNIVERSE 11: THE PRIDE TROOPERS.
>>
>>93963083
because he's a giant robot...
you incredibly silly man
>>
>>93963078
Except for the part where he literally reverses his brain trauma through sheer anger after he thought Hog Hug was dead
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (35KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
35KB, 480x360px
>>93963238
>silly man
>>
>>93963292
It wasn't trauma, and his "war mode" turned off once he thought the the threat was neutralized.
>>
File: Silly Bear.jpg (61KB, 500x428px) Image search: [Google]
Silly Bear.jpg
61KB, 500x428px
>>93963309
>>
>>93963310
But friendo that's wrong

>not trauma

He had part of his head caved in, rendering him a childlike being largely of instinct, reacting to perceived threats and necessities instinctively or without memory (learning to fly and his eye beams)

When the bump was reversed, he was able to willfully access his entire arsena

Whether he was attacking fully in anger or was lost in his programming I couldn't say but there were dozens of hostile targets around him and yet it was only when Hogarth talked him down that he reverted and disarmed, so no his war mode didn't just turn off for lack of targets
>>
>>93961848
>There are no consequences for detonating a nuke in the atmosphere
>>
>>93963078
>>93963310

Bullshit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ipcnz96hE8

He was being shot at the entire time he was trying to run from the military, and his "war mode" never activated. If anything, he actively PREVENTED it from activating to keep Hogarth safe and avoid hurting others.

It's only when they "kill" Hogarth that he goes full murderbot.
>>
>>93961910
kek
>>
>>93963494
that's still an issue with the original ending though, what difference does it make if he shoots it with a laser or physically meets it in the air? the fall out is going to fuck everyone either way
>>
>>93963538
Maybe he blew it up before the atmosphere was reached?

I dunno. Dudes survived one way or another I guess
>>
>>93963069
get a room fags
>>
>>93963472

Look at the own fucking scene you posted, retard.

Hogar points a gun at him and fires.
The Giant's eyes turn red, as he immediately starts scanning the GUN.
He blasts at Hogar, until he thinks he's dead.
Then slowly, his eyes turn back to normal, and shakes his head, returning to his passive state.

He wasn't attacking out of anger, or trauma, but his programming.

The entire thing was caused by THE GUN, which he was PROGRAMMED to respond to.

Seriously, watch the damn movie again, or at least consider hownfuxking stupid it would be to program a robot to have insane PTSD, instead of programming it to respond to perceived threats.
>>
>>93961594
The Giant would killed everyone in a childish tantrum
>>
>>93963520

Did you not see the part where he literally had to cover his eyes to keep from scanning the threat, and reverting into murdermode?
>>
>>93963648

1. For all of a second, before he kept looking at the bomber and searching for a way he could maneuver around it and escape it, yeah. By your logic, he'd have auto-gunn'd every time he say anything with armaments in it.

2. Furthermore, by your logic, he would've turned into a gun and shot down the missile- and the ship it came from, probably- at any point while it was in flight and he was rushing up to meet it. Why didn't he?

3. Which is more likely- that the robot in a children's film is its own character, dealing with anger and trauma and learning the value of human life, or the entire time it was just a projection from the audience that wasn't there and the animators made a robot that was really nothing more than a robot who was going through its programming all along? Because I don't think you appreciate how amazingly cynical your proposal is.
>>
DODGERS FRIEND
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dwkk2rhynq0
>>
>>93963601
>or at least consider hownfuxking stupid it would be to program a robot to have insane PTSD, instead of programming it to respond to perceived threats.

It's almost like crashlanded alien robots who emulate children might have defects in their programming which make them behave abnormally! Shock and awe!
>>
>>93963888
>By your logic, he'd have auto-gunn'd every time he say anything with armaments in it.
He did, if they were involved in shooting at him. It was clearly a visual cue thing, that had a delay of a few seconds, as already established before.

>and the ship it came from, probably- at any point while it was in flight and he was rushing up to meet it. Why didn't he?
I already covered this point.

>3. Which is more likely- that the robot in a children's film
I don't think you realize how faggy your proposal is. The entire movie made a theme of the fact that the robot was capable of learning, everything from speaking English, to his own destructive programming, which he had to learn to override.

Your faggot shit about "trauma" is you projecting your own broken mess of a life onto a movie that had nothing to do with that.
>>
>>93965369
You are puzzlingly upset about the possibility of a robot having feelings
>>
>>93961594
He.
Is.
Not.
A.
Gun.
>>
>>93965623
It's puzzling you think the entire plot of the movie was "poor widdle wobot hurt by meanie old Russians so he's got PTSD trauma".

You missed literally all of the movie is that's what you got out of it.
>>
So he was an alien killbot that came to Earth to fuck us up but because he got a bump in the head he was able to unlearn his programming?
>>
>>93966290
No, he was some kind of Russian weapon with a capacity for learning. He was programmed to respond violently to weapons being shot at him, but some kid finds him and teaches him how to be more than a weapon.

It's a lot about nature vs. nurture and choosing what kind of person you want to be.
>>
>>93966462
>russian
T. Mansley
>>
>>93961594
Goku wasn't quite as prominent in the 50's as Superman.
>>
>>93966462
Besides the Russian shit that makes a lot of sense.
>>
>>93966565
They ripped off his design from the robots in the Origins level of Nazi Zombies in Black Ops 2. Maybe he's Nazi.
>>
>>93961594
it was an anti gun movie so they had to go with the self suicide route
>>
>>93962923
Goku did nothing wrong
>>
>>93961658
>Should have said: But he chose to be a pacifist, just saiyan.
So much wasted potential.
>>
File: tumblr_lye0e2hxa31qjrvdko1_400.gif (837KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lye0e2hxa31qjrvdko1_400.gif
837KB, 400x266px
>>93961594
>those alternate ending storyboards that showed the Giant calling for reinforcements and hundreds of robots approaching the Earth

would have been a great sequel
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.