[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was she such a bad character?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

File: 1498498286693.png (251KB, 500x650px) Image search: [Google]
1498498286693.png
251KB, 500x650px
Why was she such a bad character?
>>
She's not though
>>
>>93940895
Imagine a sheltered teenage girl that was told she was hot shit all her life.
>>
>>93940878
I don't think she is, but is portrayed inconsistently. Which is the real problem.
>>
Her character has almost no rational arc whatsoever, she's incompetent to the point of parody, personality wise she's an annoying cunt, and other characters are made worse simply by being around her.
>>
You gotta deal with it
>>
>>93940928
She's strong but flawed. Romantic but doesn't need no man.
>>
if you think about what /co/ thinks of Korra, you'd wager they want her to be a invincible mary sue who never loses and doesnt go through any struggle coz shes da avatar
>>
>>93940878
All of the characters in LoK were shit except for Tenzin, Varrick, Lin and Amon (for the first half of season one).
>>
Why do we have to have one of these threads every day?
>>
I wouldn't say a BAD cheracter. People can find her unlikable tho
>>
She was legitimately a great character, written with so much depth that /co/ strikes me as complete idiots for not realizing. Not surprising since they're used to shows for babies.

The writing of the story IS the problem though. But Korra is such a well-rounded character it's amazing.
>>
>>93940878

>bad character

Her character wasn't really the problem, people could write a horrible and dumb person into a story and even make it the main character if they wanted to, there's no problem with that, the problem is everyone else's character, everyone has to be dumber and ignore every flaw she might have for her to be the hero of the story, it ends up being all characters forming a line to suck up to her saying she's the greatest, events eventually play out at with her either coming on top when they should fail or in the right when she isn't
>>
>>93940878
I'M THE RUGMUNCHER
YOU GOTTA DEAL WITH IT
>>
>>93940878
she wasn't especially poorly written herself, but for whatever reason every character around her was written to stupidly facilitate her never growing as a character. Her flaws were legit compelling issues and grounded in relateable real world teen issues and dysfunctions. They just failed to write any sensible resolutions to her short comings and instead everyone just kind of rolled over and apologized to her for all the teaching and guiding they tried to do that she didn't like and she just stayed a dumb kid the whole while.
>>
She started out great, but the problem was any depth and development that she gained in the first season she immediately lost or was reverted in the second as if it never happened and since then she simply stagnated.

Season 2 was absolute hell.
>>
Whereas Aang had to rely on the help of others sometimes (Katara, Sokka, Toph, Zuko, sometimes entire rebel armies), Korra literally just solos everything.
>>
>>93941035
Korra never matures or evolves. She has no character arcs. Just various highs and lows of depression and anti social behavior.

>>93941403
>everyone has to be dumber and ignore every flaw she might have for her to be the hero of the stor
So, in other words, the real problem is Korra is a BAD CHARACTER. You clearly state that the rest of the cast are dependent upon the protagonist. So if the protagonist is a failed character, so will the cast be.
>>
>>93941533
No the problem is Bryke can't write a character like her.
>>
mary-sue
>>
>>93941533
>So if the protagonist is a failed character, so will the cast be.

Not necessarily, you can have a dumb evil character that never learns his lesson but the story and the cast needs to act accordingly, if someone steps on someone else's toe then the normal reaction some kind of recoil and say "Ouch!", the problem is that never happens in the series, Korra steps on everyone's toe and their reaction is apologsing and offering milk and cookies in compensation, but that's on them, not Korra.
>>
>>93940878
She wasn't really, just not a character anyone wants to root for.
>>
>>93940998
Varrick was entertaining but an awful character.
>>
>>93941783
Season 3 and season 4 is what made him into pure jokey comic relief. Ironically, season 2 despite messing up almost everyone's character was the one season that perfectly blended comic relief and serous threat perfectly.
>>
>>93941783
What this guy said. >>93941823
Varrick was an excellent character in season 2, it's probably the one thing they got right.
>>
>>93941403
>>93941439
The show focuses on Korra without bringing in the other characters to share in the problems.
Katara is apparently okay with how the White Lotus handled things.
Tenzin and Korra's parents and the White Lotus lie to Korra for 13 years.
Tenzin doesn't know the first thing about spirituality and he can't teach or guide anyone who wasn't born an airbender despite being raised by Aang.
Lin takes her sister problems out on Korra and holds Tenzin responsible for something from years ago and then just as easily drops it.

There was no Iroh or Gyatso in this show.
>>
>>93940895
She is retarded, anon. That means she is a bad character.
>>
>>93941900
While she might be retarded, that in itself doesn't make her a bad character. Bryke not being able to write a believable retarded character is the problem.
>>
>>93940878
She is an arrogant cunt that was never disciplined and people around her was always telling her she was perfect. Bitch fucking needed some slaps on her butt and a spoonful of Cod liver oil.
>>
File: laughing-gifs-foolish-human.gif (4MB, 347x244px) Image search: [Google]
laughing-gifs-foolish-human.gif
4MB, 347x244px
>>93941064
>>
FanTASTIC concept ruined by constrained deadlines and bad writing.
Bryke did not have the same creative oversight as they did with their first series, leading to no one saying, "No, Bryke, you need to chill and not try to make this cartoon as fucking "adult" as Breaking Bad."
All of Korra's personality flaws and character growth that was supposed to happen over many episodes had to be squeezed down into a handful, which made her seem more whiny, impulsive, and downright retarded than any decent character should ever be.
She could have been a liitle whiny, a liiittle impulsive, etc, but when it was condensed into such little time it turned people off of the character.
tl:dr Everyone wants to be able to identify with a semi-reasonable protagonist, and Korra was forced by meta circumstance to be an idiot.
>>
>>93940878
Korra was rather disrespectful towards her status as the avatar. She exemplified no decorum or restraint. You would think she would learn that being the avatar comes with great gravity, but nope, she has absolutely no problem going off to fuck off fighting or scissoring.
>>
>>93940878
Korra allowed four political conflicts to escalate under her early years as Avatar because of the bad judgment made by herself and allies.
>>
>>93940878
She was so dumb and always made things worse.
>>
>>93942254
I felt that Korra's interpretation of the Avatar as an angry, cocky, and vengeful god could've been interesting if she had the power to back it up.
>>
>>93942346
But hey, now she is trbo dyke! That definetely fixes all the issues of the series! Haha! I love bein gprogressive!
>>
>>93940878
She's not necessarily a bad character, she's just a bland character. If she wasn't the main character, in a show that didn't suck, she would have been fine.
>>
>>93942554
Those Earth Peasants are going to revolt if they found out that the Avatar abandoned them for cooch.
>>
File: ad.jpg (76KB, 400x514px) Image search: [Google]
ad.jpg
76KB, 400x514px
>>93941064
>>
File: korra-s1-finale-featured (1).png (800KB, 1153x641px) Image search: [Google]
korra-s1-finale-featured (1).png
800KB, 1153x641px
>>93940878
She was an arrogant bitch with no sense of honor or respect yet got everything handed to her just by being a whiny cunt.

>DUDE WTF I GOT ALL MY BENDING BACK LOL
>>
>>93942604
Naaaah! It's such a progressive world! They will be happy with their yummy nutritious dirt and rocks that they have as food and then be cheerful for the nice piece of ass the avatar got!

It's not an asspull, it's just delightful happynes for the lgbtzpn!
>>
>stopped watching in season 1 because I realized I was just making excuses because I wanted a good continuation of A:TLA
>realized the train wreck I avoided
Thank fuck.
>>
>>93942254
>being the avatar comes with great gravity
Despite how /co/ was shouting that the Avatar isn't necessary anymore at all and that Amon is the new Avatar, Zaheer is perfect, and Kuvira did nothing wrong.
If the antagonists actually had something beyond being something to fight there would be a reason to come to the table with them and discuss things.

If she ask to meet with Amon in a public setting in say city hall, he'd either not show up or bomb the place.
When meeting with Zaheer, he only spoke with her to have his crew attempt to capture her.
And Kuvira did the pants-on-head retarded thing of not trying to get the Avatar on her side.
>>
>>93942722
She should have outed them like that though
>>
>>93941823
>>93941823
Being comic relief wasn't the issue, the issue was that s4 Varrick behaved in a way that was completely inconsistent with what he was before to satisfy shipfags and characterfags in general. He could have been comic relief while staying villainous and egotistic instead of transforming into a lovestruck turncoat ideologist.
>>
>>93942770
That would require far better writers.

Ask to meet Amon to discuss the inequality.
Amon never shows up and continues fearmongering and his demagoguery. Gets outed in a couple of episodes.

Asks Unalaq to meet in neutral ground like Republic City (where South and North lived together and no one had a problem until suddenly Unalaq.) He continues his blockade. Suddenly spirits start attacking and if Unalaq doesn't help then he loses his support.

*If Harmonic Convergence still happens* Zaheer speaks about freedom. Is told that killing people is denying them the ultimate freedom. Also show him a picture book of world history from Wan Shi Tong's library explaining how people form social structures regardless of the past leader being killed or retired.

This is supposed to be an action adventure show for babies, not The West Wing.
>>
>>93942897
>That would require far better writers.
Well yeah, but that still how it should've gone down. Out them like that and when they refuse to compromise she is more justified in taking them down since they dangerous and can't be reasoned with.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.