[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How long before he becomes public domain?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: SupermanRoss.png (166KB, 344x499px) Image search: [Google]
SupermanRoss.png
166KB, 344x499px
How long before he becomes public domain?
>>
Pretty sure never so long as he remains in use. It's why we'll always have the looney tunes crew rebooted indefinitely so WB doesn't lose them.
>>
Never. As long as WB uses his character, they'll keep the rights. A character only falls out of copyright when they haven't been used after so many years. Its why the horse show had to make new characters since the ones they originally intended to use Hasbro had lost the rights to them due to lack of use.
>>
>>93889435
It shouldn't be allowed to be this incorrect and to voice your opinion at the same time.
>>
>>93889372
>>93889435
Not a copyright law expert, but I don’t think whether or not he’s in use matters. Superman as depicted in Action Comics #1 will enter public domain in 2033 (95 years after copyright was secured, something like that), unless Warner Bros. pulls some legal BS.
>>
With how lobbying works in the US, basically nothing will ever enter into public domain ever again. As soon as Disney gets close to losing the rights to Mickey Mouse, they'll pay off some congressmen and get it extended another 25 years.
>>
>>93889538
They won't have to, Disney will set the precedent when they rewrite copyright laws to keep Mickey Mouse
>>
>>93889588
>>93889589

literally beat me by 2 seconds
>>
>>93889588
>>93889589
Mickey Mouse's copyright expires in 2024. When will Disney make their move?
>>
>>93889588
It used to be after 55 years the property becomes public domain. However in 2007? (I think) Mickey was going to become public domain and Disney lobbied to have the laws changed, so long as the character is used every few years they can keep it.
>>
>>93889655
>>
>>93889704
No, they extended the deadline to 95 years, which means nothing published after 1923 is public domain, but hypothetically they will become in a few years and then each year after that more will enter
>>
>>93889289
If he somehow became public domain, what would happen /co/?
>>
>>93890445
Not much. DC still owns the trademark and everything that came after Action Comics #1. Superman’s case is more complicated though, as the Siegel family owns part of the copyright too.
>>
>>93890810
Stupid question time here, but what is the difference between
>Public domain
>Trademark
>Copyright

I thought that a character not in public domain has his trademark/copyright owned by a single entity, and that a character in public domain has a free-for-all trademark/copyright. Is this more complicated than that?
>>
File: mickeymouseFINAL.jpg (86KB, 1029x819px) Image search: [Google]
mickeymouseFINAL.jpg
86KB, 1029x819px
Probably never, thanks to Mickey.
>>
>ITT: People with a grave misunderstanding of what Public Domain means

Superman will never be Public Domain because DC/Warner Brothers will always own the copyright, thus keeping it from Public Domain.
>>
>>93892559
Is Mickey even that valuable to them? He is hardly popular anymore.
>>
>>93893095
He's the logo/mascot.
>>
>>93893095
>disney
>letting go of something they can make money off of
>>
>>93893095
I mean Disney is kinda a piece of shit
>make money off stealing public domain things and make animated movies of them
>the make sure no one can ever make derivative works off of your work.
Also why is everyone allowed to use Orcs? Are the Lord of the Rings books public domain?
>>
File: times change.jpg (253KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
times change.jpg
253KB, 1920x1080px
>>93893324
Orcs aren't a copyrighter concept.
Its why Age of Sigmar(tm) calls them orruks(tm)
>>
>>93893095
He's popular with little kids.
>>
>>93893324
It's funny, "orc" isn't copy written, but "hobbit" is. Probably because"hobbit" is the title of the book and "orc" is just an elvish word for goblin.

That's why table top games call hobbits "halflings" instead.
>>
>>93893378
>>93893546
That is weird, because didn't the lord of the rings invent orcs and hobbits?
>>
>>93893095
do you honestly think a jew would let anything go for free?
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.