[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people act like Superman has unlimited power?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8

File: IMG_0108.png (25KB, 495x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0108.png
25KB, 495x300px
Why do people act like Superman has unlimited power?
>>
>>93885352
Cuz the nigga does.
>>
>>93885368
/thread
>>
>>93885352

He kinda does depending on the writer but who fucking cares, it's not real
>>
>>93885368
He isnt the fastest, stringest, or most duravle league member

He is a hack of all trades

He is only infinite in older continuities
>>
>>93885368
>>93885388
>>93885403
Jesus Grandpas aren't you a little old to be on the Internet? The Silver Age ended decades ago.
>>93885352
Same reason people say Batman can beat anyone BECUZ HE'S DA BATEMAN!!!!! Meme spouting retards who have never read a comic in their lives.
>>
>>93885352
Because too many people think they understand Superman based on pop-culture osmosis, but when I say "name three of his albums" they only give me a blank stare.
>>
>>93885457
>>93885499
Not even him but, are you fucking retarded? Current Supes is pre-n52 Supes dipshit. All the fucking crazy feats like lifting infinity, going faster than light and going through the source wall etc; HE did. Fucking retards.
>>
>>93885352
Because in theory. He does.
>>
Billy is potentially stronger, faster, smarter, and more powerful than Superman
>>
>>93885683
Not if he says Buenos Dias.
>>
>>93885615
But is he stringer or more duravle?
Check. Mate.
>>
File: what.gif (281KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
what.gif
281KB, 300x200px
>>93888234
>But is he stringer or more duravle
Read what you write before posting.
>>
File: 1454189116169.jpg (163KB, 978x563px) Image search: [Google]
1454189116169.jpg
163KB, 978x563px
>>93885352
People don't read comics
They see a few select panels taken from Crisis Events, One Off Non Canon Mini Series, and Silver Age comics where he is towing planets or inventing new powers on the fly
>>
>>93885352
because, much like batman, superman has cosmic plot armor, just to a different degree and such, and can never truly lose the good fight
>>
File: 1235006961342.gif (4KB, 478x492px) Image search: [Google]
1235006961342.gif
4KB, 478x492px
>>93888301
>>
File: superman is gay.jpg (82KB, 360x420px) Image search: [Google]
superman is gay.jpg
82KB, 360x420px
>>93885352
i decided to watch superman: doomsday tonight and it's possibly the first time that i've seen superman in any media and thought 'he's superman, but HE'S unstoppable'. and that was a pretty good feeling. didn't last as such since he's stoppable really, and superman is unstoppable, but very enjoyable nonetheless.

what a fucking culture shock though, going from watching all the kids TV cartoons like the animated series collection and some other batman, superman, etc shows, and a bunch of the 30s-40s comics, and here you've got cold blooded murder, mass destruction, ultraviolence on civilians and soldiers, death threats, borderline swearing, even fucking blood. blood! in a comic book cartoon! shit's basically a fucking slasher movie.
>>
>>93888301
I'm laughing at you.
>>
File: Superman.jpg (1MB, 1988x2325px) Image search: [Google]
Superman.jpg
1MB, 1988x2325px
>>93888363
It's worth noting that New52 Superman was lifting weights magnitudes heavier than in your All-Star pic.

Superman has whatever power the narrative calls for, whether that be unlimited strength, speed, durability, shape-changing, Kung-Fu, Will Control, time-travel....
>>
>>93885615
Nothing actually changed dingus. Absurd feats weren't off-limits beforehand just because some editorial suits spouted a bunch of mumbo jumbo. New 52 Superman was literally benchpressing the Earth without breaking a sweat like a few months into it. It's all in the moment, not in the canon established by some event.
>>
>>93885352
Because people don't actually want to know anything, that takes time and effort, they just want to act like they already do, and if they're wrong about something, well, it wasn't worth knowing in the first place, so whatever.
>>
because the plot will always let him win in the end
>>
>>93885457
Did you have a stroke while you wrote that?
>>
>>93885683
>Captain Jobber
>>
>>93885352
Because the writers write him like he has unlimited power. Pretty sure not even The DC writers themselves can agree how powerful superman should be.
>>
>>93885615
>lifting infinity
Ah, yes this meme. Perpetuated by people who lack critical thinking and literary understanding.
>>
>>93885352
He effectively does.

You can trot out pages or power level charts, but that shit doesn't matter compared to the ways in which writers use him. He's a cipher for good always winning in these stories, good ultimately being the stronger force. His power level isn't necessarily 'unlimited', but it IS 'as strong as he needs to be'.
>>
>>93892809
So lifting Spectre who's made up of eternity and the monitor book of infinite pages who'se weight is the equivalent of an entire multiverse means... am I missing something? Please clear it up because obviously the dialogue is some next level phd class literature.
>>
>>93888301
read the thread before posting, dingus
>>
File: you-dense-motherfucker.png (447KB, 720x528px) Image search: [Google]
you-dense-motherfucker.png
447KB, 720x528px
>>93888301
>>
>>93890670
That could apply to every comic book protagonist ever. It still isn't true though, he's lost before.
>>
I really liked the first few stories where he always picked crazy kinda immoral solutions to problems
>Declare war on fast driving and smash cars to stop speeding
>Alleviate poverty by destroying poor neighborhoods so the government has to rebuild them
>Stealing someone's identity to bust a doping scheme
>>
new time Superman reader here,

can someone explain to me Krypton? how can a planet full of these niggas decide they don't want to space travel and then be blown up? i get that it is pretty much required to have a DC universe (cause 1 Superman is powerful enough. a planet full?) but is there ever an explanation for why Kryptonians didn't use their silly-advanced technology to find yellow/blue star systems where they'd be effectively immortal for the age of the universe and then colonize the universe?
>>
>>93895993
>Alleviate poverty by destroying poor neighborhoods so the government has to rebuild them
Those "neighborhoods" were poorly built by the goverment in the first place. They had to do it right now or else face the man who can destroy neighborhoods with his hands.

>Stealing someone's identity to bust a doping scheme
Would it be wrong if it was Batman who did it?

>Declare war on fast driving and smash cars to stop speeding
That's legit crazy but it works.
>>
>>93896406
Originally, only Jor-El had the (experimental) technology and nobody else believed Krypton would blow up for one reason or another. There was also a version where they CHOSE Krypton because the red sun would stop them from living as demi-gods like their divine creators wanted. The ones from Man of Steel were just complete idiots, though.
>>
The Superman Thought Robot literally can overcome any obstacle. ANY obstacle.
>>
>>93895305
reddit
>>
>>93885457
>>93885403
Because if he's being written by Gardner Fox, Grant Morrison, or Joe Casey he's absolutely invincible unless you have one of his specific weaknesses on you.

>>93888363
More like people who want Superman to lose to (insert anime protagonist here) select feats from writers that write him getting hurt from being punched too hard while people who want Superman to beat (insert anime protagonist here) select feats from writers who write him slotting elder gods into the Source Wall like its no big deal.

>>93892809
He did and it wasn't even his beat feat from Final Crisis. Him swallowing raw bleed and killing Darksied's god soul while standing in his multiverse crunching gravity well and singing were better feats than the book.

>>93896406
Modern age they were hard core isolationists who didn't want anyone going off world to develop powers greater than everyone else back home so they banned space travel after a period of being major players on the galactic scene (during which Zod Zodded several worlds).

Silver Age it was never really touched on. Given how many kryptonians were surprised to develop powers around a yellow sun they were probably a very young race who didn't get far in space exploration beyond Argos City and Daxam (which did become a planet full of krypton level inhabitants).
>>
>>93898066
How so?
>>
>>93898998
the image you posted
>>
File: aquaman-is-useless-they-said.jpg (91KB, 496x612px) Image search: [Google]
aquaman-is-useless-they-said.jpg
91KB, 496x612px
Same people who look at aquaman think he is gay and only talk to fish
>>
>>93899254
HOW. SO?
>>
>>93885352
>unlimited power
Ah, I know that salt. It's a sweet vintage. Bottled in 2013 but didn't mature until last year. That's the salty butthurt of a DBZ fan. Let me clue you in. Superman has whatever power the plot demands. If the plot needs him to be too slow to catch a bullet, then he's too slow. If the plot requires him to instantly fail in the face of kryptonite, or get knocked out with one punch to establish a villain as a threat, then it happens. But when the plot needs him to lift a book of infinite pages or kill the soul of a god with his voice, he can do that too. In the comics, it's not a problem, it's how he is. But when you

REMOVE
THE
PLOT

and just look at what the character can do, then there's no such thing as outliers, he can do what he's been demonstrated to do, and that's just how it is. And you know what has no plot? A vs debate. So, IN A VS DEBATE, that has no plot, no story, no writer, Superman has limitless power. Is it clear now?
>>
>>93896406
After one of their moons was destroyed by an alien visitor's technology, the society became extremely xenophobic and outlawed space travel or any other contact for centuries, as well as being so arrogant they believed they knew everything there was to know about science, so they stopped studying and turned mainly to the arts. Jor-El was one of the only handful of scientists on the entire planet, and they were so arrogant they couldn't believe they'd ever be destroyed.
>>
>>93900253
>No such thing as outliers

Oh this ought to be good.

What's Superman's "average power level" then?

Keep in mind he was operating at Silver Age levels well into the 1980's and his most memed feats are from New Earth so please, tell us what Superman's "average power level" is.
>>
>>93900463
The point is that you shouldn't care about power levels.
>>
>>93900368
Sounds kinda like Japan.
>>
>>93900463
>Superman's "average power level"
What makes you think he has, or should have one?
>>
>>93896406
new time Superman reader here too. I don't care shit about what was already written, my headcannon will forever be that Krypton had a society very similar a la Shinsekai Yori.
>>
superman is the measuring stick. How fast are they? Are they superman fast? How strong? Superman strong?
It even goes into powers he doesn't have.

Electricity manipulation? How much? Like could he hurt Superman?
>>
>>93885352
He does not, enough power to beat Goku though and that is all that really matters.
>>
>>93903119
Super's manga Goku would wreck him but he might be able to beat the anime Goku.
>>
>>93885352

What is Supermans power level?
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.