[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Comics recommendation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: pauling_phone.png (141KB, 235x274px) Image search: [Google]
pauling_phone.png
141KB, 235x274px
A friend of mine want to get into comics for the first time. He's a fan of Spiderman and vidya. What are the 5 best comics he could read first?
>>
Ultimate Spider-Man
Batman Year One
Daredevil The Man Without Fear
Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow/For the Man Who Has Everything (come together in a TPB)
Civil War

Not the best comics by a longshot but good for establishing the appeal of superhero comics. Civil War especially is divisive to say the least among fans, but newbies love it.
>>
>>93880971
Thanks anon. Do you have also non-superhero comics to recommend beside The Goon, Bone and Sandman?
>>
>>93881121
Jimmy Corrigan, Far Arden/Crater XV, Starlight, Human Target, I kill Giants
>>
>>93880300
The Superior Foes of Spider-Man
Astonishing Ant-Man
Spider-Girl
Power Pack
Kingdom Come
>>
>>93880300
If he hasn't read Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine have him read that.
Also Technopriest, its about a guy who makes the universe's best vidya.
Transmetropolitan.
Gwenpoole.
Flash: Rebirth.
>>
>>93881497
To elaborate.

Spider-Girl is a solid series. It's set in a future where Spidey's retired and his daughter has taken up the mantle. It's the most comic-y of the recommendations here.

Power Pack's a fun, lighthearted series with lots of crossovers.

Superior Foes of Spider-Man and its spiritual successor, Astonishing Ant-Man, is like, a serious study into the relationships and dichotomies between Spidey/Ant-Man and their various villains. In Foes for instance, we see Overdrive's motivations. Here's a villain who actually wants more than anything, to be a HERO. We see his epic showdown with Hercules and the sweet (but ultimately doomed to fail) romance between him and Beetle. We also see the rise of Shocker, as he goes from someone whom we all look down on, to someone whom no one should mock. Ant-Man is more of a study into the moralities involved in being a superhero. The mistakes one makes... how one deals with those mistakes... and more than anything, the bonds between child and parent.

Kingdom Come looks great even after all this time. It features well known characters as well as madey-uppey ones, in a deconstruction/reconstruction. But really, it's just the super pretty art work.
>>
>>93881536
>>93881497
Thanks everyone, I hope he's going like comics more than he like shonen anime. He was a bit bored and wanted to try new things, the only thing he read beside manga was french comics. I also recommended him, I hate fairyland, Usagi Yojimbo, Sonic since he like the vidya and the Life and Times of Scrooge. Thanks for the help /co/.
>>
>>93880971
>Ultimate Spider-Man
So sick of this meme choice.

JMS Spider-Man.
Spider-Man: Kraven's Last Hunt
Spider-Man: The Gauntlet 1 - 5
Spider-Man: The Grim Hunt
Venom by Rick Remender

Those are my favourite Spideys. Any other characters he likes?
>>
>>93882648
No, I agree with you, it's just when I recommend something older than 2000 to someone who's into video games and shonen manga they shit on it. They tend to get upset about things that aren't like comic movies or comic games and when a comic mentions anything that happened prior it triggers their autism.

Like I said Ultimate isn't nearly the best Spider-Man and I personally hate it but it's really good for beginners and people who dislike continuity and want to "start at the beginning".
>>
looking for the name of comic about space mercenaries or pirates, their leader has a patch eye and they drive around in a giant skull looking spaceship

art is heavily influenced by Kirby

it's not published by DC or Marvel
>>
Bone
Jonah Hex
Hellboy
Asterix
Starman (1994)
>>
File: 4404549-04.jpg (623KB, 830x1280px) Image search: [Google]
4404549-04.jpg
623KB, 830x1280px
>>93883152
Something from Topps maybe?
>>
File: Super feels.jpg (108KB, 567x456px) Image search: [Google]
Super feels.jpg
108KB, 567x456px
>>93880971
>Ultimate Spider-Man
No.

Go get some Spectacular Spiderman: The Final Curtain.
>>
File: space riders.jpg (176KB, 600x923px) Image search: [Google]
space riders.jpg
176KB, 600x923px
>>93883258
Nah, though I should look into Topps. Thanks!

Anyway, I just found it. It's called Space Riders and it's published by Black Mask Comics.
https://www.amazon.com/Space-Riders-1-Vengeful-Universe/dp/1628751096/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1451549982&sr=8-1&keywords=space+riders+vol+1
>>
File: 1498014713916.jpg (781KB, 1946x1660px) Image search: [Google]
1498014713916.jpg
781KB, 1946x1660px
>>93880300
maybe this will help
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.