[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why /co/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

What is Marvel's obsession with gypsies? Why do they make Eastern European characters, model them after EEs, put them in EE-inspired countries and then christen them gypsies? Why does Marvel lovethose people so much, but still racebends them?
>>
>>93839111
Real Roma for reference.

t. Guy who lives amongst them.
>>
>>93839111
Probably because originally they just wanted Exotic Europeans. They don't really know that much about Gypsies, and nor do their readers.
>>
>>93839223
This. Maybe Europeans care but no one else does.
>>
>>93839111

Wanda and Pietro were adopted by a Gypsy. Their parents aren't romani
>>
>>93839354
They were retconned into being half-romani, and ever since the "not mutants" retcon they are 100% gypos.
>>
>>93839404

The retcon is still nebulous about who their bio parents are.
>>
>>93839223
Hit the nail on the head. Americans have literally no exposure to actual Gypsies so they're an easy go-to when they need a sexy swarthy exotic but not too exotic person.
>>
Easy stand in for Jews that won't offend anyone.
>>
>>93839111

Pretty sure the fascination with gypsies in US comics in the mid to late 60s was due to the big gypsy plot in the Bond movie "From Russian with Love". It came out in 63, right as the Marvel U was getting into full swing, and portrayed the gypsies there as sexually alluring (for the women) or proud and honor-bound (for the men)
>>
>>93839111
They never saw European gypsy so they think they are all amzing and exotic people, dancing and playing their tambourines next to the fire.
>>
>>93839495
>and portrayed the gypsies there as sexually alluring (for the women) or proud and honor-bound (for the men)

That's so American and it couldn't be further from the truth.
>>
>>93839547

It's a British movie, anon. But it was a HUGE hit in the US, and probably one of the biggest pieces of media to use gypsies at that point.
>>
>>93839495
That's uh... that's as far from the truth as WE WUZ GREEKZ.

>>93839529
So they're just a bunch of naive fucks?
>>
>>93839404
blame marvel's current anti mutant boner for that.
>>93839111
how many characters is that? wanda pietro and DOOM? It doesn't sound lie an obsession to me
>>
>>93839569
there is some truth in that.
Gypsies aren't actually nomadic anymore, but stantial or semi-nomadic, in the sense that they will move around within a certain territories and living in the same spots that they already visited. And they have been so for some centuries alread.
So there are national gypsies, and they were relatively well integrated, at least before the vast industrialization of the 20th century.
They were often carnies, they repaired stuff on the cheap, or traveled with circuses.
In fact most european circuses belong to gypsy families. From this they got their association with music, ancing, celebrations and thus with sexual transgression.
Their lifestyle didn't adapt well to moern times, where people would rather buy new shoes or pan than having the old one repaired.
But most importantly, the problem with gypsies of current times come from gypsies who moved to western europe while escaping from the various shit in the balcans after the end of yugoslavia, and from gypsies from romania.
And those were treated far worse than western european gypsies, were not well integrated and adapted even less to their new countries.
>>
>>93839580

Doom is probably the most famous one.

SW and Quicksilver have only been gypsies off and on over the years
>>
>>93839704
Anon, I live there, I don't need a rundown. They're literal subhumans who rape old ladies and steal children in order to use them for black market organ trade. The government gives them NEETbux, free houses, special school "points" and they still behave like animals. There is nothing "noble" about them. They're subhumans, period.

The ones that actually become members of society are not even considered gypsies by the "true" ones. They distance themselves from their "culture" as much as possible.
>>
>>93839873
You could have just said "failed to integrate"
>>
>>93839111
Its an old Hollywood trope that gypises are associated with witchcraft, cursings, fortune telling and traveling circus freaks
>>
>>93839873
>Anon, I live there
I live there too.
> I don't need a rundown
From your post it's clear that you do.
I was explaining where the fascination with exotic" and "sexy" gypsie cam from-they were traveling carnies and circus people; and where the current problems come from- the incompatibility of a panhandling or carnie lifestyle with modern economy, and the immigration of gypsies from balkans and romania, which are the ones who cause the most trouble.
>are not even considered gypsies by the "true" ones
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_scotsman
>They distance themselves from their "culture" as much as possible.
they do because if they reveal being gypsies they risk discrimination on the job, losign it or not being hired at all.
>>
>>93840304
>they risk discrimination on the job
Good. Fuck those people.
>>
>>93840304
Any person who defends gypsies, does not live around them. LARPer confirmed.
>>
>>93839444
Wanda met their mom while doing some magic shit in her most recent ongoing. She was a gypsy, and also a Scarlet Witch.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.