[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Comic Making Advice Sorta

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: NoReally.png (83KB, 255x197px) Image search: [Google]
NoReally.png
83KB, 255x197px
I write for fun after work. I do it for myself. Maybe one day I'll actually finish something and make a cool novel.

At one point, I had some extra income and I decided it would be super cool if I found an artist to draw out some of my characters. It was insanely cool what they came up with after I described them.

Time passed, I moved onto another idea, then another, then another, repeat for 2 years.

I've lost my comfy job, so I haven't really been in the mood to be creative and I'm even more bummed I don't have the funds to pay an artists for more cool stuff.

I'm currently internship, ugh, for free, ugh, I'm not a high school student God fucking dammit, but it's with a comic publishing studio here in LA. They are kinda big in the scifi world and are huge in Europe.

It JUST hit me, why the fuck don't I pitch my idea for this novel I was writing and show them the art, which I think would make a pretty sick looking comic, more so than a novel (only cause the idea is kinda big and I was running out of steam trying to write out every little thing). As a drawn out media, this idea would be pretty cool.

So first of, San Diego Comic Con is next week, and would it be a good idea to print out my artist's pieces, very clearly say it's not my art, but my idea? How do I sell myself as a hack writer who doesn't even have a full short story written out, but has a very solid idea and has an artist up my sleeve?

I looked up on Google "How to make a comic book idea pitch" so I can ask my company if they would take my idea. Think this is a "Fortune favors the bold?" type of situations? I mean I guess the worst they can say is no, wtf, you're not a writer, your in sales, stick to that.
>>
>>93834880
No clue. Wish you well though. Rooting for ya.
>>
>>93834880
>I mean I guess the worst they can say is no, wtf, you're not a writer, your in sales, stick to that.
So was PAD and he crafted a landmark story for Spider-Man that is still considered one of the characters greatest stories. He also completely revitalized The Incredible Hulk, doubled its sales and even got an Eisner. You've definitely got a chance but you might want to iron out the details of ownership with your artist in case they do accept. Like on paper and signed.
>>
>>93834880
I'm sure publishers don't want to take chances with someone with little experience writing comics for consumers.

Maybe start off with, dare I say it, a webcomic? Get into the routine of writing pages weekly/bi-weekly. If companies want to print an issue per month, you would need to be able to make 20ish pages per month.

Since you have a job, that takes up most of your time, but you need to get into the habit of writing pages constantly.

BUT, I have absolutely no experience writing, drawing, or making anything. The only thing I do is read comics, but this is stuff that make sense when I think about it.
>>
>>93835030
The webcomic idea wouldn't work because OP can't update it without someone making the drawings for him. And webcomics work on little doses.
>>
>>93835096
Oh, I thought the "artist up my sleeve" meant someone he could have art pages already. There are some webcomics with one person doing art and one person doing story.
>>
What's the story or concept?
>>
>>93835030
>>93835096

What he said, I'm not the artist. I'm just the writer. If I was an artist, I could put together an actual portfolio and show that off and apply for art jobs, etc. I'm wondering if I can show someone else's art that supports the look/feel of my idea without actually having a book to show off. And they aren't even comic pages, they are just really neat and incredibly well drawn character sheets.

I just want to show people the art, as they alone would get people hooked, you know, like any other cool art on the net that makes people reblog stuff and ask later, "what's this attached to?" "Who are these characters?" "Where is this from?" But then say, we'll here's the pitch for my idea, blah blah.

>>93835171
My "Elevator Pitch" is; A fallen Arabian King turned thief is out traveling the world stealing others thieves. No, not their treasures, but the thieves themselves. With a magic map that allows him to pluck people from different eras in the time line, the King keeps his living trophies for a sinister secrete plan to reclaim his thrown.

I like to think of it as if, what if you were sucked into Aladdin's Genie's lamp and you had to work with a group of not so honorable characters to escape, all while the crazy King keeps ruining all your plans. There's a ticking clock before everyone is sacrificed and you can only be forced to live in the lap of luxury for so long before you start going crazy.
>>
>>93835449
I'd read it.
>>
File: ReeeeallyAnon.gif (62KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
ReeeeallyAnon.gif
62KB, 200x200px
>>93835473

Fuck I love hearing that. I swear, I don't really care about the money. If I could just pay my rent with the idea, I would be more than happy to just do that. I just like it when I tell my friend's my pitches they say they could see it at a movie or something nice like that.

I just want praise. But thanks!
>>
>>93834880
>San Diego Comic Con is next week, and would it be a good idea to print out my artist's pieces, very clearly say it's not my art, but my idea?

They do indeed have portfolio reviews there. Who's to stop you from showing off your idea with another person's art. It's like every comic book writer out there knows how to draw. I mean, Jesus, some comic book artists don't even know how to draw and yet...

If anything, at CC, those reviewers could actually tell you the right way to market yourself in your current position? I can only assume they're going to tell you to finish your book, but here's the thing/fun movie fact- some of the most successful movie scripts were never fully written out before they were submitted to be green lit, like Alien, Jaws, and RoboCop.

As the saying goes, aim for the stars, if you miss you'll still land among them.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.