[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Avatar: The Last Airbender vs. Gravity Falls endings

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

File: AGF.png (648KB, 2560x546px) Image search: [Google]
AGF.png
648KB, 2560x546px
>Cartoon gets epic 4-part finale
>Magical creature shows up after being foreshadowed multiple times
>Provides the key to save the day, after the protagonist rejects a conventional approach
>/co/ hates this ending

>Cartoon gets epic 4-part finale
>Magical object shows up after being foreshadowed multiple times
>Is about to provide the key to save the day, but this is subverted for a far more conventional approach at the last second
>/co/ hates this ending
>>
Didn't Gravity Falls waste a lot of time within Mable's fantasy world realm?

Also I think the Lion Turtle could definitely been foreshadowed a bit more, not to mention energy bending coming completely out of left field, but the airship fleet and the Last Agni Kai are absolutely god tier
>>
>>93819203
both endings honestly sucked, but while Avatar sucked because of "muh no killing", GF sucked b/c they completely ruined characters, reversed character arcs, & rushed any good characterization that we could've gotten all b/c hirsch didn't want to do anything longer than the 2 seasons he did or he decided to do pointless episodes
>>
>>93819203
Weirdmageddon was three parts.
>>
You can never please /co/.
>>
>>93819279
>The 44-minute episode's reruns were split into two parts, and the second part was named "Weirdmageddon 4: Somewhere in the Woods".
>>
File: how.jpg (34KB, 736x601px) Image search: [Google]
how.jpg
34KB, 736x601px
>>93819203
ozai
>starts his plan to literally burn everything on the continent

bill
>has a party
>>
>>93819203
Both endings are fucking awful
>muh never kill lmao
>muh rushed ending
>>
>>93819203
You posted this exact thread a couple weeks ago.
>>
>>93819203
At no point were lionturtles ever foreshadowed
>>
>>93819203
Both were fun. But the greatest fun was watching /co/ get butthurt when their headcanons didn't come true
>>
>>93819730
they were foreshadowed exactly once but were never once implied to be of any importance.
>hey sokka check out these weird lionturtle things
>eh i've seen weirder
energybending was completely out of nowhere though.
>>
File: 1446951215216.png (225KB, 428x399px) Image search: [Google]
1446951215216.png
225KB, 428x399px
>>93819752
>muh brainhowitzers
Kill yourself.
>>
>>93819203
Part 2 alone ruined Weirdmageddon
>>
>>93819800
There were multiple references to lion turtles in "Sokka's Master" as well.
>>
>>93819203
AtLA finale was alright. The Lion teaching Aang was a dumb surprise. Oh, that rock hitting his chakra point or whatever.

Gravity Falls finale was rushed as fuck and disappointing. Fuck Bill, fuck Ford.
>>
>>93819854
Why fuck Ford? He was bland despite all the foreshadowing, but that's about it
>>
>>93819854
Fuck Mabel
>>
>>93819991
This, fuck that Karma dodging bitch. She got off the hook way to easily for the shit she caused.
>>
>>93819991
I would.
>>
Why does everyone hate the "never kill" ending? It fits with what Aang was taught and what the show was about.
>>
I remember this copypasta from a month ago and never got a response about how you're retarded in not understanding how context and writing function.
>>
>>93820946
It was executed poorly. What should've been a problem and solution that was introduced and slowly figured throughout the season was brought up two episodes before the finale and solved in a nonsensical Deus Ex Machina that was so out of place a spin-off had to explain what the hell happened years later.
>>
>>93821084
>copypasta
It's original, you fucking dumbass.
>>
>>93821153
Well then it's pathetic that you learned nothing a month ago and still trying to post this as if it's anyway intelligent. If it was bait it'd be retarded but you're acting retarded for a laugh. The fact you don't understand that simply because the ending functions well enough in context but not in actual execution or implementation in the story makes you an idiot.
>>
"The term has evolved to mean a plot device whereby a seemingly unsolvable problem is suddenly and abruptly resolved by the inspired and unexpected intervention of some new event, character, ability or object. Its function can be to resolve an otherwise irresolvable plot situation, to surprise the audience, to bring the tale to a happy ending, or act as a comedic device."

Avatar writers wrote themselves into a corner with Aang, and rather than actually have him solve it on his own, they made a literal deus ex machina to fix it for them. It's bad writing at its finest
>>
>>93821375
>wrote themselves into a corner
That expression does not mean what you think it means.
>>
>>93821375
The sad part is this could've easily been solved if they simply cut the fat of what largely made season 3. Introduce the sub-plot of Aang having to either accept killing Ozai or find a new solution early on in the season and reintroduce the Monk from season 2 to teach him how to do this.
>>
>>93821455
Wow that's way better and I bet you came up with that in like 10 seconds
>>
>>93821494
Seriously, what is the point of introducing this super intelligent trainer character that knows the secrets of the universe if you're only ever going to use him once?

Hell, they literally could've just kept the whole season the same except replace the Lion turtle with the monk showing up and it'd still be better. It'd still be really dumb granted, but it at least would make some semblance of sense and not feel completely contrived and out of left field.
>>
>>93819991
What are you talking about? Mabel did nothing wrong.
>>
>>93820946
I didn't hate it, but it was disappointing. It rendered the central moral dilemma meaningless. He had a choice between saving the world or saving his own soul. If we had known this third magic turtle option existed all along, that's the path everyone would have taken.

Aang ending up with Katara had the same problem. It's not about the shipping, but a personal sacrifice that was taken away for the sake of a happy ending. Aang has his cake and ate it too. Rather than being someone who was given a burden, he became another super-powered action star who always gets the chick. It undermined the tragic hero quality the show had at the beginning.

Show's still good. It just could have had a greater impact if it was as brave as its characters.
>>
>>93821650
t. Alex
>>
>>93823109
That's not how you use that.
>>
>Conflict of not killing
Did you all forget that right before talking to the turtle he came to the conclusion that he will have to kill him as his duty?
>>
>>93819255
I agree that they wasted too much time on Mabel's fantasy world.
Alex Hirsch has such a boner for Mabel scenes its no wonder the twincest shipping runs strong in this fandom.

She's so selfish and awful no wonder the Unicorn wanted nothing to do with her.
>>
I liked the ending to Avatar. I think the "no killing" the the fact that someone as powerful as the avatar could take or give away powers was great. Sorta a "Great power comes with great responsibility, you abused that power and it's responsibility" moment to me.

Ithink it would've been crueler to do to Azula than to the firelord though. (However Legend of Korra made it weird for me but i haven't seen past the first season).

Gravity Falls was a fun way of ending the series but so very rushed. I know Hirsch didn't want more than two seasons but I think the show could've benefited from having 3 and stopping there. Especially since he's STILL adding things to the fandom and the mysteries through twitter and shit so clearly he had more he wanted to do, so he shoud've just DONE it.

I think if gravity falls had gone longer there could've been more mysteries to solve and put together by the end, a better build up to Ford (Who i agree is bland as fuck when he's revealed especially compared to Stan) and LESS FUCKING MABEL. Mabel is a fine character but she needs small doses
>>
I can at least watch and enjoy avatar finale without it feeling like chore. The GF ending was just kinda boring it felt more like a season finale than a series finale.
>>
Is there a MEGA for the Avatar fan remaster? I wanna make webms.
>>
>>93819595
what do you expect a charachter on a kids show to actually kill
>>
>water bending was learned by observing the ocean and tides
>earth bending was learned by observing badger-moles
>fire bending was learned by observing dragons
>air bending was learned by observing sky bison
>energy bending was randomly gifted by a creature that knew how to load information straight into the brain like The Matrix
Removing the aspect of human discovery really ruins the entire thing.
Why else would Toph have been able to figure out metal bending if it wasn't in the nature of man to observe and adapt from the world around them.
No mystic creature came and gave her metal bending.
It was man who took the rudimentary nature of the elements and did more with them.
Toph pioneered metal bending.
Some fire bender created lightning bending.
Some water bender created blood bending. (LoK shit all over that too by making it hereditary)
Some air bender.....got genocided before making a cool secondary power.

Tl;dr Humans rule! Turtles belong in soup.
>>
>>93823376
That's exactly how you use that.
>>
>>93819261
At the very least, Aang not wanting to kill makes perfect sense. He's a monk who barely wants to fight, killing would destroy him emotionally. I mean, I get that people hate that he found a Deux ex Machina, but at the very least the conflict is there.

Weirdmageddon was pure nonsense. Mabel acting like an immature child was awful because it's the embodiment of just how stagnant her character was. It didn't help that everyone else either became idiots or regressed as characters. It relied on stupidity for the sake of plot progression.
>>
>>93825702
No, but there's still a torrent

make sure to use a vpn
>>
File: 1485573599795.jpg (109KB, 775x1071px) Image search: [Google]
1485573599795.jpg
109KB, 775x1071px
>>93827883
ok guy tell me when did it ever say in avatar that the moon game you water bending where did it say that badger-moles gives you earth bending where did it ever say you can get air bending from watching sky bison come on i want to know and in the time korra came around why are there not more air benders now that sky bison are back give me your facts not your head canon
>>
>>93829710
>when did it ever say in avatar that the moon game you water bending

During the attack on the North Pole, Zhao's entire plan was to take out the moon so that the Water Benders had no power. It literally happens when he kills the koi fish, making Yue sacrifice herself to become the moon.

>where did it say that badger-moles gives you earth bending

The Cave of the Two Lovers. They weren't given the power. They learned Earth Bending from the badger moles and use their teachings to make their SECRET TUNNELS. Toph also learns via badger moles.

>where did it ever say you can get air bending from watching sky bison

No idea, they didn't have as much backstory about the origins on Air Benders, other than the fact that they were nomads and blah blah blah.

Dragons were the first Fire Benders, and the Sun Warriors learned Fire Bending from them. And because they were so powerful, that's why the Fire Nation started hunting dragons to prove how strong they were.
>>
>>93830000
>The Cave of the Two Lovers
another legend and most of the shit are legends
>>
>>93830061
Still more belivable than god-like beings granting the power of bending to people at random for no reason.
Take the story of Prometheus for example, although the tale describes a god bringing man knowledge, mankind, as we all know, discovered the secrets of technology themselves through worldly observations.
Who is to say, in a world where creatures developed these elemental bending powers, that man would not learn these abilities like they did technology in our world.
Another prominent example of this would be fullmetal alchemist, and although the origins of alchemy weren't fully revealed, it is treated as an ability that is studied and learned just like martial arts in our world, and bending was in the world of Avatar: the last airbender.
The initial connections between bending and traditional martial arts was retconned when suddenly anyone can instantly acquire bending powers at a masters level without any prior training due to magic turtle powers.
It was much more believable and consistent to have bending be something that needed to be learned amd refined, otherwise Aang literally wasted 3 seasons when he could've just told the lion turtles "gibs me dat bending" to defeat the fire lord.
>>
File: 1499751078025.png (113KB, 259x348px) Image search: [Google]
1499751078025.png
113KB, 259x348px
>>93830301
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.