[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/co/'s Character Trinities

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 11

File: Trinity.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Trinity.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
You know this whole "characters need to be reletable" meme? For a long time I really didn't buy it, but in the last few years, I have been noticing patterns between my fave characters and the reasons behind my choices. So I came up with three "bases" of characters: The one you most identify with, the one you dream of being and the one you secretely want to be.

I still am able to enjoy books and like characters that don't fit the criteria, but I think it's a fun little game that we can play. I'll start:

>Hank Pym, the one you are

Think about it. He's smart, but he never places in the Top 5 or gets any respect. He grew up in a rural area and had to get into a science branch that made money. He made a few mistakes and nobody is willing to forget them. He constantly tries to reinvent himself, but struggles with his insecurity.

>Tony Stark, the one you want to be

He's got more money than God. He's the epitome of the American Dream. He has any woman he desires. He's the absolute expert in his field. The whole world loves him. He's guiding humanity towards the future. He's what everybody dreams of becoming.

>Doctor Doom, the one you secretely want to be

He started from the bottom, with nobody respecting him, and rose to the top. His name sends shivers down the spines of every human alive. He's a master of every art, science field and magical spell. He's the Ultimate Alpha. Even when he loses, he wins. He always has a high confidence. And in truth, it's what everyone secretely wants. For everyone to be afraid of him. To always have the power. To never be afraid. To always be in control.

So, what are yours /co/?
>>
File: Ehhnn.png (95KB, 500x659px) Image search: [Google]
Ehhnn.png
95KB, 500x659px
>>93792016
>The one you are: The Ghost
A recluse with no social abilities, angry about the capitalism/the world and a general paranoid freak. Nevertheless he can be quite subtle and manipulative, his paranoia helps him to be aware what his happening and profit from it.
>>
File: Beta Ray Bill.jpg (365KB, 1235x766px) Image search: [Google]
Beta Ray Bill.jpg
365KB, 1235x766px
>>93792318
>The one you want to be: Beta Ray Bill
Protector, Warrior and Champion. He lost everything: His home, his people and love. And yet he prevails: wise in strength and loyal to friends. He is an hero, unbound and free.
>>
File: The Crooked Man.png (456KB, 400x592px) Image search: [Google]
The Crooked Man.png
456KB, 400x592px
>>93792412
>The one you secretly wants to be: Mad Jim Jaspers
Absolute poer and madness. All is, what I want it to. I am their God, only my pleasure has any meaning.
>>
>>93792016
>>Hank Pym, the one you are
my nigga. I also have mental issues and depression issues. And every time I have something good going for me I manage to fuck it up myself. I am also the jack of all trades that Pym is, he has specialities in AI and Biotech, but is really a very broad skilled character.

>The one you want to be: Beta Ray Bill
Also my pick. BRB is the best person in all of Marvel. And he is an Athiest not cause gods don't exist, but because he doesn't think they are worthy of worship, instead they are worthy of being friends.

>The one you secretly want to be
D-Man, I secretly want to fuck up my life so bad everyone hates me.
>>
>>93792318
>>93792412
>>93792511
Thanks for participating anon. Good choices to boot!

>>93792561
>my nigga. I also have mental issues and depression issues. And every time I have something good going for me I manage to fuck it up myself. I am also the jack of all trades that Pym is, he has specialities in AI and Biotech, but is really a very broad skilled character.

I've not been diagnosed with anything myself, but I can identify with Pym because he came from a non-scientific background and always has to work his way up the ladder. The tiniest mistake brings him down and while he always tries to get back up, the world still shits on him.
>>
I think more of us do this than we let on but at the same time it's not really worth talking about. Nobody wants to smell your BS you know?

Anyway. I guess I'll say that the one I secretly want to be would be the Silver Surfer. An ordinary guy with a love for the stars sells his soul to save his planet, dooming countless others in the process, but gaining everything he ever wanted: the ability to travel unhindered the width and breadth of the universe.

Yeah the Shalla Ball stuff sucks and serving Galactus with all the horrors the Cosmis entails is gonna make you angsty from time to time, but there's so much to discover and appreciate and you get to do it on a surfboard that flies faster than the faster starship while you draw nourishment from cosmic rays to sustain your nigh-indestructible body.
>>
>>93792611
>he came from a non-scientific background
He was always a scientist though

But, just curious, are you a scientist or have a lot of interest in it? I'm curious if /sci/ background people gravitate to /sci/ characters more. I was studying physics but had to drop due to sever anxiety that was preventing me from even getting out of bed...or eating. I still try to keep up and read papers now and then and keep my math skills up (lack on the later currently.
>>
>>93792016
I got nothing.

My favorite characters are the Punisher, Kalenov from the Winter Men and Red Crow.

I don't want to be any of them and I'm not as fucked up as any of them.

The relatable thing might only be the case if you don't like yourself.
>>
File: IMG_1361.jpg (623KB, 900x1350px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1361.jpg
623KB, 900x1350px
My favorite trinity right here, too bad it doesn't really exist anymore.
>>
>>93792882
>He was always a scientist though
Yeah, he was always the typical child prodigy that's true. But because of his background, he never go the chances people like Stark, or even Parker got. He was a farmboy with a "not-so-supportive" family.

>But, just curious, are you a scientist or have a lot of interest in it?
Whew, that's uh... a long story. But the short answer is that yeah, I'm currently studying physics at Uni. But... I suck at it. I couldn't pass a single class during the second semester.

>I was studying physics but had to drop due to sever anxiety that was preventing me from even getting out of bed...or eating.
Same here. Like Pym, my parents are farmers and fishermen, and I live outside of the US to boot, so their whole mentality was "get somewhere to make money" and I can't blame them, but I was always good at that stuff, so I decided to take a shot. Now I live alone, and because I never had a tight schedule growing up I can't study efficiently. The result is that I'm falling behind, I've gotten fatter, and I feel more worthless everyday. I used to dream of great achievements back in the day, but... I try to eat healthy, I try to study harder, but... dunno.

>I'm curious if /sci/ background people gravitate to /sci/ characters more.
It's probably true. At least for me it is. I'm not a super-genius, but at least I can live through them in a way. Make my dreams real, even if I'll never achieve them. Because let's be realistic, a first gen US immigrant is never gonna become Tony Stark, even with a 250 IQ. Much less just another "smart" guy from a family of lower economic class farmers.
>>
>>93792911
>The relatable thing might only be the case if you don't like yourself.
Pretty likely to be honest. Or if a character is as much of a fuck-up as you. It's also why I can kinda relate to Moon Knight. I don't want to be him but... I can see similarities.
>>
File: Ghost Poer.jpg (82KB, 614x426px) Image search: [Google]
Ghost Poer.jpg
82KB, 614x426px
>>93792016
>>93792318
I think I wouldn't like the the-you you want to be.
>>
>>93793002
>Yeah, he was always the typical child prodigy that's true. But because of his background, he never go the chances people like Stark, or even Parker got. He was a farmboy with a "not-so-supportive" family.
oh yeah. I grew as a farmboy too, outside a small town and small I mean 500 population.

>I'm currently studying physics at Uni. But... I suck at it. I couldn't pass a single class during the second semester. Now I live alone, and because I never had a tight schedule growing up I can't study efficiently. The result is that I'm falling behind, I've gotten fatter, and I feel more worthless everyday. I used to dream of great achievements back in the day, but... I try to eat healthy, I try to study harder, but... dunno.

shit, I want to encourage you so you don't end up in the trap I got myself into. Physics really depends on having good teachers and practice rather than just study. Honestly I had more trouble with the math than the physics most of the times (that may be because the math departement here is the worst department in the school, lowest rated by school analysis and lowest passing rate). What I can say, is try to do more calculus and also make sure to draw out all the problems you can. even in quantum mechanics if you can make a diagram, do. I know the more advanced stuff doesn't work that way but the simple stuff does. Good luck anyway, physics is fun stuff.

>Because let's be realistic, a first gen US immigrant is never gonna become Tony Stark, even with a 250 IQ. Much less just another "smart" guy from a family of lower economic class farmers.
I never cared about being 'rich and popular'. I just wanted to live a life where I can be comfortable to be me. It hasn't happened yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs6tvoHCO84
>>
>>93792511
where is this from?
>>
File: The Crooked Man.jpg (255KB, 1167x559px) Image search: [Google]
The Crooked Man.jpg
255KB, 1167x559px
>>93793381
Captain Britain: Crooked World
>>
>>93793355
>oh yeah. I grew as a farmboy too, outside a small town and small I mean 500 population.
Mine was a bit bigger, but yeah.

>shit, I want to encourage you so you don't end up in the trap I got myself into.
I've tried all fo that stuff, but... EuroUnis follow different rules, and my Uni follows even stranger rules. The proffs are awful, the kids with connections get grades without even writting finals, others even fuck for grades.
>>
>>93793443
>kids with connections get grades without even writting finals
what the fuck???? Are you in slavic territory? cause the only place I see that shit slide is in elementary or junior high (canadian here). That's just down write discouraging and no wonder it's hitting you hard. I only have one thing left I can do to encourage you. Walter Lewin's free physics lectures on Youtube. He teaches at MIT and is AMAZING cause all his stuff has demonstrations that go along with the math. I find experiments really help nail in the physics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a0FbQdH3dY

check them out even if you end up dropping out, the guy is SO enjoyable
>>
File: astonishingXtrio.jpg (99KB, 682x1023px) Image search: [Google]
astonishingXtrio.jpg
99KB, 682x1023px
>>93792016
This is my trinity.
>The one I am=Beast
>The one I want to be=Cyclops
>The one I want secretly be=Emma

If they were in a comic together I pretty much bought it. Marvel turned Beast into an asshole, Cyclops into Mutant Hitler, and Emma into token, crazy ex-girlfriend gone evil.

So, I'm a bit miffed at Marvel.
>>
>>93793856
I'm located at... DebtLand, and yeah, it still happens at Unis. Political parties even have agreements with certain professors and get the exercises a few days early, or pay them to raise the grades of certain people. Everybody knows it here.

Thanks for those vids though, I appreciate it!
>>
>>93793950
Explain yourself a bit more.
>>
>>93793950
you want to be a woman? well..yeah sure, Emma is fucking hot and I wouldn't mind being in her body I would never leave the bedroom

>>93794051
that kind of corruption in science is disgusting...utterly intollerable. Science is supposed to be a self correcting mechanism but that shit hampers it badly. You are welcome though, good luck in your studies. Any chance you can transfer to a better school?
>>
>>93794182
Beast=obsessed with all aspects of science, likes to share in great detail what I know and learned with others. Usually to the point they get annoyed and ask me to shut up.

I'm very social despite having bi-polar disorder. Morrison said he wrote his Beast as suffering from Bi-polar disorder.

Cyclops=tries to be the ideal hero, obsessed with control to cover his glaring weaknesses. The Boy scout with a checkered past, but has that Summer's charm of getting with all the hot chicks.

Deeply flawed individual, but is always trying to do the right thing.

Emma=The sexy Ice Bitch Dominatrix with culture, class, and insanely clever with her powers. Sharp mind, and Machiavellian philosophies on life and people.

Came from privilege, but struck out on her own and made her own fortune and destiny for herself. Can get away wearing the shit she does.

I'm less interested in the positive aspects of each character and relate more to them because of their crippling idiosyncrasies and glaring short comings as people.
>>
>>93794373
>>93794051
I'm in debtland too, my uni is not that corrupt. Where are you? My Uni is actually well respected in terms of research too, at least my department.
>>
>>93794373
>Any chance you can transfer to a better school?
There are no better Unis. Things here work differently. After Senior High you choose one "thing" and study just that. I can't choose my classes or anything like that. I chose Physics, so I'm studying physics. I could've chosen math or chem for example, but I would've studied only the subjects the administration wanted me to. Unis are government owned and there are only a handful of them at key cities. For example there are only 5 Physics Schools/Unis/places where you can study that.
>>
>>93794484
Didn't knew physics department was that bad. I assume you're in the capital?
>>
>>93794460
Patra. I've heard many stories about it. I won't pretend I'm Einstein and everybody's holding me back, I'm a lazy piece of shit, but the Uni itself isn't exactly helping.
>>
>>93794513
Third biggest after the capital. Apparently that was the best.
>>
>>93794516
Ah. I'm in
ilektrologous sto metsovio

Things are very hard, but not that corrupt. Worst case, a professor would be unreasonable, meaning too demanding and requesting stuff he didn't teach, but not as bad as what you describe.
>>
>>93794460
Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada Damn good physics department here. Tokamak reactor, neutron bombardment chamber, OK astronomy but Astronomy magazine's editor is here, and the 2nd most advanced synchrotron in the world. That shit is amazing.
>>
>>93794541
I was studying that for a few months over at Crete (polytechnic, right?) but had to drop out because of reasons (I got there late and found an awful house, I was too far away from home, all that).

But here... dunno. We had a physics exam the other day, and this guy just gives us just 2.5 hr for about 10 subjects. 3 of them were proofs that needed 1-page long explainations. The exercises were all two or three types jumbled together, and I had seen nothing like them. The optics one just fucking killed me.
>>
>>93794603
I can give you a link to the grades of a recent exam in em-fields with some optics mixed in, in us.

The amount of 0,1,2/10 is huge. Way over half didn't pass, as usual.
>>
>>93794641
Sure hit me up. Ours haven't come out yet, but I'd like to compare the two. And feel better about stupid myself by seeing all the 1s
>>
>>93794603
optics can really fuck with you if you haven't been trained right. Have you done any experimental physics courses yet? cause those help A TON

measuring the wavelength of electons of FUN AS HELL!
>>
>>93794749
Nothing like that yet. Just the basic stuff. I got an extra book, but I haven't had time to read it yet. The inids fucked me up the most so far.
>>
>>93794724
>>93794724
Decided to just copy the numbers instead of linking, for fellow /co/mrades' sakes who don't speak greek.

For non-greek speaking anons, these are the results from a top greek uni in a mandatory course.

This professor is actually among the good ones. Very helpful, very clear in his demands, will stay with you after class and explain as long as you want, will explain you all your mistakes if you don't pass.
And he requests similar stuff every year.

Yet these are the results.

96 students took the exam.
Grades : 0/10:9
1/10:27
2/10:26
3/10:1
4/10:0
5/10:15
6/10:10
7/10:1
8/10:4
9/10:2
10/10:1
>>
>>93794815
>inids
I'm sorry, I think the translation isn't working here. What are you talking about?
>>
>>93794845
My apologies, 96 is the total number of students who "owe" the subject, obviously the rest didn't bother to take the exam.
You get 1 out of 4 profs for this subject, based on your last name, but there's rotation per semester. The rest didn't take the exam.
>>
>>93794875
Sorry, messed up. I was talking about the Thin Films. You know, light goes in, bounces around, then either comes out with a phase difference or not.
>>
>>93794845
I'm the canadian here and what do those number mean?

Most people here PASS their physics but the classes are VERY small, which means they can spend more time with the students. Most of the students stop after 2nd year cause they either want to follow engineering money (which doesn't really exist anymore) or computer science and needed an elective.

However, every class in math purposefully fails 70% of the class, regardless of how good the class it. They just don't want to teach
>>
>>93794950
ah, cool, never did that one. My phase experiments were done with rotating light wavelengths. And honestly, that one still doesn't make sense to me. The only causality that happens is at the very end, it's a very quantum system but in a more classic sense
>>
>>93794966
You need 5/10 to pass. You are graded on a scale from 0 to 10.
Mind you, this is an obligatory course, so everyone who passed in this uni HAS TO PASS THIS OR THEY'LL NEVER GRADUATE.

You have 25% chance of getting this professor. Who you have changes every two years. Either you wait, or take the exam with the odds above.
His class (1/4th of total) is like 96 people (though obviously not everybody attends, it's not obligatory).
>>
>>93795060
It's not obligatory to attend. Passing is obligatory, as I explained.

The numbers are grade:number of students who got it.
>>
>>93795060
oh, that just means the majority of the class didn't even attempt the test. Most of them tried one or two questions and handed in the paper knowing they failed. They probably didn't study or care, probably also getting their school paid for them by parents. No surprise there.

I would expect more 70s though...
>>
>>93795148
It's not unlikely to actually try and get 1-2/10. At all. It happens a lot. Some clearly just saw the questions and left, but that's not the reason the grades were so horrible.

Also, our unis are free.
>>
>>93795222
>Also, our unis are free
God damn it....and here I am 30k in debt and having mental breaksdowns that prevent me from doing jobs that make money.

I do have one project on the go that it using the math I learned at least. Hopefully I can launch the company to make enough to pay that off. In my fucking dialog of last chances this is just another last chance. At least this time I don't see how I could screw myself over I will,
I always find a way
>>
>>93795369
Imagine being your favourite cape and beat the problem into submission.
>>
I'm sure Pym was at least top 3 behind Reed and Doom at some point and also he was much better than both in two specialized fields like AI and biochemistry ... anyway, yeah, Pym is one of the most relatable characters, IMO, but nobody wants to admit it xD
>>
File: 1374518546444.gif (2MB, 294x233px) Image search: [Google]
1374518546444.gif
2MB, 294x233px
>>93792016
>What is empathy?

Anyway, characters I mostly relate to are ones that are trying to be good/better but have to heavily fight against their mental issues to do so. So characters like Hank Pym, Wade Wilson, David Haller and the like.

I idealize character are good for the sake of good like Clark Kent and Steve Rogers, ideally that's who I want to be more than anything. But I also idealize characters like Frank Castle and Marc Spector who basically turned their insanity into a tool. Them putting down the scum of this planet is also very satisfying. Thanks for reading my blogpost.
>>
>>93795465
pymtron.
Pymtron is my boy. Fully relatable.
>>
File: 345345345.gif (1018KB, 300x220px) Image search: [Google]
345345345.gif
1018KB, 300x220px
>>93795481
Also that's not the image I thought I was going to post.
>>
>>93792016
>the one you are
I don't like a single character that resembles me in any way.
>the one you want to be
Roderick Kingsley for obvious reasons.
>the one you secretly want to be
Probably Doctor Doom.
>>
I relate to Daredevil, I want to be Superman.
>>
>>93795482
...I think I need to report this to the FBI..
>>
>>93795893
What's bad about finding a poor schmuck relatable? His SE issue was hilarious.
>>
>>93795953
I agree. I love Pymtron. but relating to him may be a bit far. I relate to Hank Pym but not Ultron.
>>
>>93796135
But Pymtron is full Hank, he's in control.
Probably.
>>
>>93792016
>The One You Are

Closest I can thing of is Jack Knight. A fairly average guy with a keen interest in the past trying to live up to his parents expectations, especially after my brother didnt.

>The one you want to be

Elijah Snow. Almost always in control, gets to investigate really interesting 'archeology',and has been practically everwhere but always finds something new to ensure the world never gets dull. Heading a wide reaching, but not to big, organization is neat too.

>The one you secretly want to be

Nikolai Dante. I know this looks off when others are posting supervillians, but I focus so much on getting things in order beforehand,having a solid plan and not getting myself into any trouble, but there are many times I wish I could just fly by the seat of my pants and focus on having a good time.
>>
File: shazam_thor.png (630KB, 793x392px) Image search: [Google]
shazam_thor.png
630KB, 793x392px
>The One You Are

In terms of the actual person I am, I'd say Captain Marvel/Shazam. I often feel like I'm a child in an adult body. I don't know at what point one starts to think like a grown-up but I don't ever feel that happened. Instead, I'm a kid who has possesses the wisdom and strength of an adult, who takes on adult responsibilities. I go to work, I pay my bills, I take care of myself, but at the end of the day I see no reason not keep watching cartoons or reading comics like a always have. I step out my door, say my magic word, and I'm an adult. I come back home, and I'm a child again, not in that immature, self-entitled way, but in that just wanna enjoy the softer, sillier side of life way.

>The One You Want to Be

I've always wanted to be a guy like Thor, someone who just charges in without hesitation and busts heads like there's no tomorrow. Thor's badass and a warrior through and through, and I wish I could be like that. But even though he's headstrong and sometimes arrogant, he has this enormous heart that just won't quit, no matter the odds. He can get beat down by giants, demons, other gods, super-villains or even the Hulk, but he just keeps getting back up and giving back as good as he gets. Oh how I wish I could be that person.

>The One You Secretly Want to Be

This one is pretty simple, The Juggernaut. Why? Because nothing can hurt him, nothing can stand in his way, and he can crush whatever might try. I've been hurt many times, by people, by life, by words, by actions, and I've been able to overcome them and move on, but what I wouldn't give to just shrug them off as if they were nothing. I've faced adversity, roadblocks, upsets, watching everything I've worked for be for nothing, but if everything that could ever possibly get in my way I could just plow through like a freight train, oh what a great thing that would be.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.