[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You can't introduce a new character without jumping the shar-

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 11

File: lucky koth.png (200KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
lucky koth.png
200KB, 500x375px
You can't introduce a new character without jumping the shar-
>>
k.
>>
but most people consider Lucky to have been what heralded KotH's decline
and I don't think many people consider just adding a few minor characters as jumping the shark
>>
how lucky is Lucky?
>>
>>93785979
Pretty unlucky because he had to put up with Peggys shit
>>
>>93785955
It didn't jump the shark but boy did it take a dip in quality
>>
>>93785978
>but most people consider Lucky to have been what heralded KotH's decline
you could even say it was free fallin
>>
>>93785978
But the decline of KOTH came from the computer animation taking the show from a sun burnt orange Texas feel to a color cool standard blue show - which had nothing to do with Lucky
>>
>tfw know a few luckys IRL
>>
>>93785955
The Poochie of KotH.
>>
>>93785955
Lucky is a bit of an oddball isn't he? Introduced late in the series, voiced by a celebrity known for a completely different industry, and yet he's actually pretty fucking funny.
>>
>>93786092
Ironically nuSimpsons could use a poochie right about now

For awhile I thought The Simpsons version of Poochie was Moe
>>
>>93786104
>season 8
Shit, I never thought he was that late in the series
>>
My goal in life is to make something as perfect as KOTH
>>
I like Lucky, I don't care what anyone says.
>>
>>93786680
I thought he was a pretty swell normal guy.
>>
>>93786050
did they ever get their GEDs
>>
>>93786697
he was dumb as a sack of hammers but always honest and earnest who never schemed like some of the other guys
>>
>>93786680
Me too
>>
File: luanne crying.png (11KB, 146x71px) Image search: [Google]
luanne crying.png
11KB, 146x71px
I hate Lucky because he encompasses two of the biggest issues with the later seasons: reversing Luanne's character development and making mundanity the joke instead of finding the humor in the mundane parts of life.

Luanne had the longest running character arc, which was her trying to make something out of herself and not ending up trailer trash like her parents. Post-Lucky, the several seasons long plot about her education had her quit college on a whim (and Hank supporting it because she was just a tiny bit behind schedule) and being able to miraculously pass her cosmetology test in like a week despite her doing terribly in beauty school and Bill could have helped her at any point before that episode.

Then she gets knocked up at 21 or 22 by a toothless redneck bum who doesn't even have a GED.

I really hate how the Manger Baby Einstein episode made Luanne out to be a selfish diva who abandons her family just because she was trying to make money (she's always been the only working parent in the household) instead of staying at home and living off of Lucky's fraudulent "disability" money.
>>
I don't know. I've watched all of KotH and I didn't really see a 'decline'. If anything I was fucking relieved when the series changed Bobby from being weird as fuck, to aggravating, to be kinda weird but in the fun way and he actually learns lessons, while being smart.
>>
I love Lucky.

The best way to write a strange interloper is to have them introduce something otherwise unseen in the normal group's dynamic. Lucky is both hillbilly and enlightened; he most assuredly has his own personality and stories to be told within the KOTH universe.
>>
File: bL3jkPm.png (571KB, 795x307px) Image search: [Google]
bL3jkPm.png
571KB, 795x307px
>>93786771
desu in terms of stats having kids at 21 or 22 is prime breeding years for healthy kids and they are less fucked up than prom dumpster babies
>>
>>93786929
Nobody gives a shit about whatever study you found that tells you when a woman is best for 'breeding' /r9k/
>>
File: beaches.webm (1MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
beaches.webm
1MB, 720x404px
>>93786985
birth defects and downs are at their lowest point from 20-25 years old and at their highest from 30-35

I am /sci/
>>
>>93787011
>i am /sci/
>posts zero sources

Your statement checks out; I will assign your statements all the gravity they deserve: none.
>>
>>93787037
some roastie must have gotten roastie that men want fertile young women and not hags with rotten eggs
>>
lucky was a piece of shit when he was first introduced and then they tried to add some kind of "hillbilly code of honor" to him and all in all it was just a retarded character and the start of the series' decline
>>
>>93786771
>I hate realism
>>
File: Hank hill hears stupid.jpg (35KB, 500x383px) Image search: [Google]
Hank hill hears stupid.jpg
35KB, 500x383px
>>93787155
>>
>>93786721
He literally defrauded companies because of slipping in urine, that is scheming.
>>
>>93785978
I have no idea why people don't like Lucky. Dude's hilarious.
>>
>>93785978
The show went downhill well before Lucky.

Lucky himself fit with the show fine.
>>
>>93786771
You look like a bug
>>
>>93786771
What was Luanne even in college for? What was she actually trying to do with her life?

I just can't bring myself to care about Luanne not getting her Associate's Degree or whatever when the writers themselves obviously didn't. Pretty sure the college + Luanne moving out storylines were implemented as a way to make Brittany Murphy's reduced appearances then seem less noticeable, since in-universe the character would have other stuff going on explaining why she's no longer in every episode.

If they'd actually taken advantage of her being in college in any way maybe I'd see her dropping out as a bad decision, but they didn't. Not even really anything done with it other than brief lines of dialogue alluding to her attending in the seasons immediately after it happened, sometimes episode plots where her being in college just sets up something completely unrelated, and if her either graduating or dropping out is meant to be meaningful then that's just not enough.

I know they were trying for kind of an arc with her but in retrospect it feels like they never exactly pulled it off.
>>
>>93786771
>reversing Luanne's character development

In fairness to Lucky, that probably would have happened regardless. Just look at how status quo kept happening to Bill.
>>
>>93787681
She didn't have a plan for what exactly she was studying for but the writers could have given her one instead of going "Fuck it nevermind, let's just press the reset button."
>>
>>93786147
>there are 13 seasons
>>
>>93787055
>wanting a fucking kid at all
Like I want to pass on my genes, my name, and secure the future for white children.

But I really don't fucking feel like taking care of a fucking kid.
>>
>>93787755
Yeah, I agree with that, but to me that's the kind of thing they should have set up like the next season after she starts attending (just looked at an episode list and the one where she decides to go is near the end of season 3, so there probably wouldn't have been time to show it in another Luanne episode then).

But if you've had her in college for ~4 seasons after that and still haven't even really shown what she gets out of it or hopes to accomplish or even really how she feels about it compared to beauty school, which at least had more focus, it's not exactly surprising that later they just decided to do away with it.

From the story perspective there was never really much gained with it in the first place, other than her supposedly moving on in life despite that never really being explored, and so I can see how it wouldn't seem to be a big loss to just stop using it. I think the flaw there isn't having her drop out, it's literally none of the writings even attempting to make her being in college interesting before they it got to that point.

And I mean I guess maybe college could seem too boring, except for the fact that we got plenty of episodes about selling propane and substitute teaching and stuff; clearly there was room to make that interesting if they'd really wanted to back in like season 4.
>>
>>93786008
The show was living like a refugee up to that point, Bucky was just what sealed its fate.
>>
>>93787155
Don't conflate verisimilitude with realism. Realism is a life devoid of the manipulations required of producing a working narrative. Verisimilitude is a narrative that appears realistic while not being so.

No one wants to see an unadulterated life passed off as narrative. It would be fucking boring.
>>
>>93787880

It's tragic. The show was so amazing early on. It was Mike Judge's dream show, so perfect. But by the end it felt like Lucky was just runnin' down a dream.
>>
King of the Hill never got "bad" but it was steadily getting worse. It ended at a good time.
>>
File: Redcorn ain't shit.png (200KB, 825x616px) Image search: [Google]
Redcorn ain't shit.png
200KB, 825x616px
>>93787954
This. It was pretty good throughout, with the middle seasons probably being the best.
>>
>>93787894
You can put your thesaurus away kiddo, Luanne was a loser and there was never any escaping loserdom for her, they made that abundantly clear.
>>
>>93787954
It's hard to say King of the Hill ever got "bad" but it did suffer from having too many episodes in general, not just at the end of its run necessarily. There was just so much repetition, the entire show from start to finish could have probably been trimmed by about 60% and nothing of significant value would have been lost.
>>
>>93786771
Where's that image from, model sheets? Got any more?
>>
>>93787979
That snake ain't right.
>>
File: No high fives.png (88KB, 299x385px) Image search: [Google]
No high fives.png
88KB, 299x385px
>>93788869
Not him, but here they are.
http://imgur.com/a/PiJLk
>>
File: himZD0Mh[2].jpg (16KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
himZD0Mh[2].jpg
16KB, 250x250px
>>93787979
>Not to imply that Hank couldn't kick Redcorn's ass if he was really pissed
>NO REPTILIAN EYES (this can become that in Korea)
>tiny bobby snake
This shit is fucking hilarious, jesus christ.
>>
>>93788942
>dale does not flip up his shades
>flips up his shades multiple times in just the first two seasons
>>
>>93789001
Some of the do's and don'ts changed over time. Bobby stopped being deadpan not too many seasons in.
>>
>Lucky ruined Luanne

I never got that, since people always bring up traits that were forgotten years before Lucky even show up. And in the end she ended up working with hair like she originally always wanted.
>>
>>93788942
There's no 59!
>>
>>93787178

I think it's because he came across as wacky rather than just a typical Texan.

It also fucked up Luanne's character by making her look like some trailer park failure when there had been something rather sweet about the way it seemed like she was working herself up to be a bit more respectable.
>>
>>93789118
>gets a house
>stable job she's good at
>functional support system

Oh shit you're right, Luanne became fucking trailer trash
>>
>>93789141
Thank you, at least someone agrees with me on this.
>>
>>93789141
>>93789151
I never understood the hate for Lucky either. He was always pretty funny and was a genuinely good man with his own code of honor.
Hell, he was ten times better than that moron Buckley or anyone else Luanne dated.
>>
>>93789173
It's not that he didn't seem like a good guy, it's that he didn't seem Texan. Everyone else seems like someone you could meet in Texan, whereas Lucky seems like someone a non-Texan would imagine as a Texan.
>>
>>93789173
>doesn't want to marry Luanne til he gets his GED
I love him for that reason alone

>the episode with Luanne's father
made me like him more
>>
>>93787178
>I LE SLIPPED ON PEEPEE xD
>>
>>93789746
hahaha
>>
>>93789226
this
>>
Jumping The Shark has nothing to do with show quality. Jumping The Shark just means a specific event that definitively proves the show has changed on a fundamental level. Fonzy was a side character on happy days originally, but the show slowly became more and more about him specifically. When The Fonz jumped the shark on his motorcycle, it was the definitive event that made it obvious the show was all about The Fonz and his cool waxky hijinks. It's an event that doesn't have to do with quality, rather it means the show before and after it happens can no longer be seen as the same show. So of course it's reasonable to assume you can't introduce a new character without doing so.
>>
>>93787912
Ehh...
>>
>>93785955
>Texan Character
>Voiced by Florida Cracker
What did they mean by this?
>>
Someone post dream Peggy from the animation handbook.
>>
>>93787805
>wants to pass on their proud white genes
>has a nigger mentality towards raising kids

Which is it, Anon?
>>
File: IMG_4527.gif (299KB, 448x256px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4527.gif
299KB, 448x256px
>>93785978
I thought it was Brittany Murphy dying so they stopped the show
>>
File: 1336506199924.jpg (16KB, 205x286px) Image search: [Google]
1336506199924.jpg
16KB, 205x286px
>that episode where Peggy sabotages Luckys quest to better himself

and I thought I couldn't hate her more after she did the same thing to Bobby when he learned to cook
>>
>>93785978
KotH never declined.
>>
Dale is best boy
>>
>>93793806
They raise cattle in central florida.
>>
>>93792845
He jumps the shark on water skies not a motorcycle
>>
>>93792845
But KoTH didn't become about Lucky's wacky hijinx.
>>
>>93794082
This. That episode made me like Lucky a lot and hate Peggy even more.
>>
>>93786771
Reversing character development my foot, for Luanne, getting away from her trailer trash past was all about getting away from her broken family of shitty people and building supportive relationships with people who actually cared about her, it had nothing to do with going to college or living a certain lifestyle. By the end of the show Luanne has her own home, her own business, and has both her own family that loves her and all of her extended relations, friends, and acquaintances that care about her, too. She got what she wanted out of life.
>>
>>93789173
>he was ten times better than that moron Buckley
Yeah but Buckley died in a firey explosion.

If only Hank would have caused another "accident" for Lucky
>>
>>93798096
man that fucking ep
>>
>>93798241
>>93798096
What was it?
>>
Well, the shark was already jumped, beaten and lying bloodies on a beach by then.
>>
I find it amazing that peggy could be such a shitty person throughout the series but still got a redeeming episode, but Lucky was just complete shit throughout his existence
>>
>>93801803
slippin on peepee hyuck
>>
>>93793979
the reason why the show was cancelled was for them to fit a time slot for The Cleveland Show.
>>
>>93786771
The pee pee money wasn't fraudulent. Lucky had to get two of the vertebrae in his spine fused together and hes in constant pain.

$53k is a pretty small sum for that level of fucking his life up, imo
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.