[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

X-Men

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 371731.jpg (655KB, 2048x1061px) Image search: [Google]
371731.jpg
655KB, 2048x1061px
I want to get into X-Men. Why does everyone think they suck now? What's actually good to read?
>>
>>93778776
Claremont's first run.
>>
>>93778776
>now
They've sucked since the late 80s with a handful of brief moments of quality hidden in the ocean of shit that flooded the franchise after X-factor and 90s extreme destroyed everything good about it.
>>
Read at least the first couple years of Chris Claremont's 18-year run on Uncanny X-Men (includes Dark Phoenix Saga and Days of Future Past). Grant Morrison's New X-Men run. Probably Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men (overrated but still pretty fun). Jason Aaron's Wolverine and the X-Men is a lot of fun. I think that's about it for decent runs of the main books but there's good mini series and spinoffs.
>>
>>93778776
>Why does everyone think they suck now?
Because they do. They haven't had a decent writer in years (arguably even decades).
>>
>>93778880
>Read the first couple years of Claremont's run
>telling OP to skip the best part
>>
>>93778842
Do you think it's because writers don't understand the characters? Or are the plots shit?
>>
>>93778776
>Why does everyone think they suck now?
Because Marvel hates us and them.

>What's actually good to read?
Claremont.
Ignore >>93778880, morrison's run is nothing alike and whedon barely references it.
You may like Kyle & Yost's X-Force after that, because it references Claremont's run directly and brings back some classic villains from back then.
>>
>>93779260
Editorial interference combined with kowtowing to artists began the X-men's descent. From there inferior writers wrote bloated stories. Right now we've got the holy trinity of suck going on. Absentee (if not malicious) editors, garbage artists, uninspired writers.
>>
>>93779347
>Kyle & Yost's X-Force
Trash.
>>
>>93778776
I've read a few current (post 00) runs that are fun and this was my first introduction to the x-men.
Morrison's new x-men are fun, x-men vol3, messiah complex, astonishing (whedon's parts).
>>
>>93779378
I've seen this opinion recently, that's why I said "may" and stated why I mentiond it.
>>
it will never not trigger me how people give X-Men recs and skip the 90s
>>
>>93780070
Name something good from that decade then.
>>
>>93778776
As someone who cannot help being an X-Fag I want to tell you to stop, do not do this, don't get into the X-Men.

Because if you do, someday, you too may have to tell someone 'You know, X-Treme X-Men was a really good read in the end. Both volumes are just really enjoyable though entirely different.' However, if that does not sway you, go read X-Men Legacy v2
>>
>>93779260
There's two schools of thought with the X-men. The "we need to ape Claremont since his X-men run is the definitive run" which just leads to regurgitating the same tired plots over and over again, except worse than when Claremont originally did them. The other school of thought is "we need to move on from Claremont and take the franchise into new and different directions" which usually just results in directions that aren't as good as those that had been done before under Claremont (with a couple exceptions like Morrison and the Utopia status quo).

Either way, it's fucked. If you're not ripping off Claremont, then the end result isn't "the X-men." If you do, then you just get the same old shit but worse. There is no saving the franchise because everything that made it great was predicated on the fact that it was a small enough franchise that people like Claremont could do whatever they wanted with it. The X-men got too popular and that destroyed them.
>>
>>93780301
>You know, X-Treme X-Men was a really good read in the end
Had its moments.
Kinda cool the new use Storm showed for her power. I think Claremont spends a lot of time thinking about this kinda thing.
>>
>>93779378
why?
>>
>>93780564
Nothing but shilling their crappy OC
Almost as bad as their New X-Men
>>
>>93778776

Claremont wrote them for 17 years, 75 to 1991 iirc, and made them the best selling most popular comic book in the world (and they remained that till the mid 00s)
he created most characters and wrote most classic stories

from him you should get

-days of the future past
-phoenix and dark phoenix saga
-proteus saga
the Brood and Morlocks stories
mutant massacre
fall of the mutants
inferno

read all of morrisons run, iirc that is like from 2000 to 2004

there were many good x men books before like 2012, that is when Marvel decided to throw the X Men under the bus because of their problem with Fox.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.