[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CBR BTFO by John Semper

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2

File: semperpost.jpg (521KB, 497x1594px) Image search: [Google]
semperpost.jpg
521KB, 497x1594px
CBR BTFO by John Semper
>>
>>93771709
>CBR
>not shameless clickbait

Pick one
>>
>>93771709
Even without reading the original article, I already agree with this rebuttal. Especially #5. What is it with bad reviewers having a boner for high school Peter?
>>
>>93771709
>>93771765
There was a time when CBR was more or less the premier comic book community online. It had lots of fun blogs showcasing the best comics out that week, creators posted on their forums, and their reviews and previews were well formatted and well edited.

Now every fucking thing is a 15 Reasons Why list. Their headlines are pure clickbait. And, on top of that, they're fucking horribly edited. I guess that's because they fired their editors and replaced them with writers to churn out 15 Superheroes Whose Name Starts With a Vowel.
>>
If you're responding to this kind of bullshit on social media you already lose. it doesn't matter who's right.
>>
>>93771893
Their segment comparing issues of Batman Adventures to episodes of B:TAS are pretty good. Everything else is just riddled with clickbait.

>>93771925
If only Semper was busy writing a decent Cyborg issue instead.
>>
>>93771709
CBR got fucked in the ass with no lube!
>>
While I still prefer Spectacular, I like TAS and really admire Semper's dedication to being faithful to the source material.
>>
>>93771709
>CBR said it had confusing storylines

How can someone be that retarded?
>>
>>93772011
Imagine being an adult unable to follow the storylines of a cartoon for children.
>>
Spidey TAS was my intro to the character.
When I read books, I still read Peter with that voice.
>>
>>93771889
I'm really, really fucking glad Semper brought that up.

>What is it with bad reviewers having a boner for high school Peter?

Either they only started reading comics in the 00's or 10's or it's something that Marvel wants them to push.
>>
>>93772028
So Peter sounds like prince Erik from the The Little Mermaid to you? Must make for interesting reading.
>>
>>93771956
>If only Semper was busy writing a decent Cyborg issue instead.
Sad thing is Semper is only on Cyborg because he's black and the big 2 now feel a character belonging to a victimized identity group must be written by a person of the same identity. That sucks because Semper is so much more than that. He told great stories in TAS and unlike now, he racebent zero characters and kept politics out of the show.
>>
>>93771956
>Their segment comparing issues of Batman Adventures to episodes of B:TAS are pretty good.

There's some writers I wish would fucking ditch CBR since it's become such a joke of itself. I mean sure, even before the buyout CBR was on the decline with how its boards let Marvel staff get away with stuff other regular users would get banned for, but still, it was better than it is now.
>>
>>93772078
I guess that's it? Having grown up in the 80s and 90s I like Peter married and worrying about paying a mortgage.

Still, it's not like he was a HS student more recently, unless the author of the article only read the Ultimate Universe.
>>
File: peter cartoon.jpg (317KB, 468x723px) Image search: [Google]
peter cartoon.jpg
317KB, 468x723px
>>93772028
Absolutely.

And Spectacular is great and all, but the 90s series will always be my favorite.

Not to mention that it has the best appearance of Venom ever.

My only real gripe with the show is that they started the whole "symbiote makes you evil" thing.
>>
>>93772152
>unless the author of the article only read the Ultimate Universe
That's the reason.
Ultimate Spider-Man is a lot of people's definitive Spider-Man, and I couldn't hate that fact more.
>>
>>93771709
I give zero fucks about CBR or listicles, but I have a long-standing dislike of the 90s Spidey show, and so did /co/ last I checked.

1) Heavy Censorship - Semper's rebuttal is just SHADDUP NUH-UH I'M SO SICK OF HEARING THIS, and claiming it was under the exact same restrictions "as any other animated series on the air at that time", but that's objectively false.

Go compare any episode of Spidey with BTAS, you'll see what I mean. And remember that BTAS was on the Fox Kids block too, originally. It's well known that they suffered rules ranging from "no punching" to "Spidey must never be shown disturbing pigeons when he lands on rooftops".

>Bad Humor
Semper ain't Shakespeare or Apatow neither. Hell, he's mediocre even when compared to *other cartoon writers*. Let that sink in.

>Bad CGI "Technology changes, but good stories don't, so who cares?"
The stories weren't good, they were carried by LOTS of exposition constantly monologued by Peter over that same fucking CGI stock footage, which wound up comprising 30% of any given episode. So it's fair to bitch about it. Even in the 90s it looked terrible.

4) I'll give him this one, she was boring and annoying but that was how Aunt May was in the comics most of the time back then.

5) I didn't mind that Peter was college age as a kid, but I always thought it was weird that he was built like a fucking linebacker.

6) Confusing Storylines - defending this by citing how media has changed in the 25 years since? Fuck that, Spidey TAS was impossible to follow as a kid if you didn't have a plot flowchart and a working knowledge of Roman numerals. Yes, it would be easier to follow nowadays, but y'know what? 90s Spidey isn't available on any streaming service. Y'know why? Cuz everyone knows it hasn't held up. Y'know what has? BTAS, which was episodic as FUCK, and nobody cares that it didn't have XXVII-part storylines.

7) Voice Acting - I'll give him this one

8) Bad Animation - It's alright at best. SSM did it better.
>>
>>93772409
>It's well known that they suffered rules ranging from "no punching" to "Spidey must never be shown disturbing pigeons when he lands on rooftops".
Not to mention how Batman had real guns while everyone in Spidey used laser guns.
>>
>>93772409
>Fuck that, Spidey TAS was impossible to follow as a kid if you didn't have a plot flowchart and a working knowledge of Roman numerals.

So you literally have brain problems?
>>
>>93772011
>>93772027
My problem with the storylines wasn't that they were confusing, but they dragged on for two long. You'd even have two-parters within multi-parters.

Semper still has that problem with Cyborg, where everything is still the same storyline and until recently, little actually advanced or moved forward.
>>
>>93772300
Wasn't that in the comics itself and that's why Peter had the fantastic four help him figure out its weaknesses, leading to the bell scene?
>>
So when is Brian Cronin going to ditch these losers?
>>
>>93772538
No, Peter ditched the symbiote because the F4 told him it was alive and he went all like "ewww, get it off get it off!!"
>>
>>93772593
Ahh I see, my mistake then.
>>
>>93772497
No, I'm just not gonna pretend something I watched as a kid is flawless because Muh Nostalgia.

Even shows that had GOOD serialized storytelling in the 90s were hard to follow if you couldn't rely on regular marathons, because your local affiliate would play the weekday reruns in whatever fucking order they wanted.

There was no way of knowing which order Spidey reruns were "supposed" to be in if you didn't read the "NEOGENIC NIGHTMARE PART CXXVI: CHAPTER THREE: THE SINS OF THE FATHERS, PART 8" thing in the fraction of a second it was on-screen, and it was always cramped to the top of the screen in tiny font because fucks like John Semper demanded their names be credited at the same time as the episode titles. Fuck that noise.
>>
>>93772463
In fairness, most cartoons weren't allowed to use real guns. Batman was an exception because Bruce Timm pushed for it.
>>
>>93771889
Probably read USM but yeah I'm tired of that shit.
>>
>>93772683
>No, I'm just not gonna pretend something I watched as a kid is flawless because Muh Nostalgia.

I don't either but I don't think it was hard to follow.
>>
>>93772137
Wait, CBR was bought? By who?
>>
>>93772109
Coincidentally I used to steal my cousin's Ariel barbie and pretend she was Mary Jane to my Spidey figure.
>>
>>93772739
There were other exceptions too, like TaleSpin, Darkwing Duck and most memorably Gargoyles on the Disney Afternoon.

And Looney Tunes/Merry Melodies with Elmer Fudd, Yosemite Sam and Russian roulette jokes were still aired at the time.

The point is, as a kid Spider-Man was in a weird space where it clearly wanted to be taken seriously like Batman, but also wanted to play by the kid-friendly rules, like Power Rangers, saying "destroy" instead of die. It didn't help that by the end they brought in Carnage, really drawing attention to how hamstrung they were by S&P.
>>
>>93772785
It got bought out by Valnet last year. Valnet's known for sites such as Screenrant. That's why there was such a drastic change in design and increase in shitty clickbait listicles.
>>
>>93772409

The show had it's flaws, mostly the weird censorship, stock footage, and strange plot devlopments/ways they killed off characters, but the voice acting and humor were GOAT.

Some of Spidey's lines in that shit were fucking hysterical, even the villains got in some good lines.
>>
>>93771709
>stop hating on my crappy show
This is legit pathetic.
>>
>>93772409
>90s Spidey isn't available on any streaming service. Y'know why? Cuz everyone knows it hasn't held up.

It used to be available on Netflix.
And Netflix is removing B:TAS on Aug 1st.

One of the only things I prefered 90s Spidey to B:TAS was that it had ongoing stories.

>>93773121
At least they weren't brought out by Gawker or something. How SJW'y is Valnet?
>>
>>93772409
>I didn't mind that Peter was college age as a kid, but I always thought it was weird that he was built like a fucking linebacker.

Every man on the show was.
>>
>>93771709
CBR is garbage clickbait, that's a fact
90s Spider Man was pure garbage, that's a fact too. I still can't believe it was done at the same time as Batman TAS
>>
I feel in the middle on this.
On one hand I loved the show and I always watched, including reruns. Of course, Batman was a masterpiece (just like later Superman), but marvel never really had a good looking cartoon.

On the other hand, I did have problem with following the episodes, because let's face it, if you missed one episode, you missed some plot, even if there was a flashback (there was, right? I'm not 100% sure). And the stock footage was frustrating.

But still, it was a good show, despite the flaws.
>>
The censorship part is outright false. Especially compared to all of its peers. BTAS had Timm pushing for guns (and getting them) but many other shows were able to incorporate guns and punching into themselves. They should have known better and negotiated with the BS&P more.

Humor I can give a pass to. While it's dated today, it is a reflection of the mild mediocre comedy a lot of early 90's shows had.

The CGI/stock footage was terrible even for its time. Why the fuck do you think so many major cartoon showrunners avoided CGI like the plague in the 90s? They knew it wasn't up to spec and would clash with the traditionally animated segments. Full segment CG wasn't up to snuff until at least the mid 00's.
>>
>>93773453
Even some of the women, like Black Cat.

I'm disappointed we didn't get Buff Aunt May now.
>>
>>93771709
Why would he waste time doing this? Why answer click bait?
>>
>>93771765
it's any news site. Fake news isn't just a meme
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.