[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Superman Returns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 9

File: SupermanReturns.jpg (46KB, 316x400px) Image search: [Google]
SupermanReturns.jpg
46KB, 316x400px
I just watched this movie for the first time since seeing it at the cinema which I didn't remember much of. I guess I can see why.

It's not great by any stretch but I'd be lying if I said I disliked it entirely. I liked Roth's bumbling Clark Kent. But really I just found it very odd, especially the first half really felt like it was from 1995 rather than 2004. Maybe the strong decco aesthetic put me in mind of The Shadow or The Phantom but some scenes really came over as belonging to that era to me and some where straight up goofy.
The scene where the crystal wrecks the model city in the basement has screams play over the model people getting knocked about.

What did you guys think of it? Am I nuts for thinking it feels like a mid 90's film?
>>
I have a soft spot for it too. The script is merely ok, but Singer knows how to set a tone really well.
>>
>>93754483
I re-watched it recently for the first time in years and it's honestly nowhere near as bad as some people mainly DCEUfags make it out to be.

It's main two problems are that Superman comes off like a creepy stalker and the re-treading of the Lex/land plot.

It's so much better and more enjoyable on virtually all fronts than Snyder's trash. I was actually taken aback for a second when Superman saved people and then actually interacted with them. Plus it's sadly probably the last film we'll ever get with the trunks.
>>
File: IMG_1564.jpg (30KB, 250x312px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1564.jpg
30KB, 250x312px
>>93755882
Ah so you're a trunksfag. That explains everything.
>>
>>93755882
But I like the DCEU as well as Returns.
/co/ is so binary.
Reeve and Snyder can coexist in one person's interests.
>>
>>93756066
>not liking objectively better costumes
edgy
>>
>>93757128
WRRRRRRRRRRRRRRONG
>>
I liked, is solid and pretty comfy.
>>
>>93758834
Fuck off Lex
>>
Just going to leave this here.

https://youtu.be/GRV_Mfgv3QU
>>
>>93754483

This movie literally killed Brandon Routhe's movie career. He was a projected A-Lister before this happened, and now he is playing second fiddle on the CW circuit.
>>
Didn't like it. Supes spends the whole movie being mopey that Lois dared to have a life without him, even though he was the one who fucked off for five years without telling anyone.

Not to mention that he's basically a glorified deadbeat. Since Superman left before he knew Lois was pregnant, we can assume he left shortly after Superman II. Really shortly. He's Superman. He would be able to see Lois was pregnant very early on. In Superman II he painfully learns that he must put the needs of Earth ahead of his own personal desires. He apologizes to the President for being away so long (we was gone maybe a week or two) and that he won't let him down again. Then, only a few months later he leaves Earth without telling anyone. He also leaves without covering his bases. He doesn't secure the dangerous tech in his Fortress of Solitude. He doesn't make sure his departure won't result in Lex Luthor's release from jail. He doesn't even apparently warn the President he's leaving. His actions fly in the face of everything he learned in Superman II and everything he swore to do.
>>
>>93759238
Despite Routh and Bosworth's youth, "Superman Returns" is supposed to take place many years after "Superman II".
>>
it is a good movie.

They should let the intro scene in.
>>
>>93759238
What makes the movie more retarded was at the end of Superman 2 he promises never to abandon people again. Then he leaves for 5 years in search for a planet his father already told him was destroyed.
>>
>>93760368

How does Superman III and Superman IV play into the storyline and the chain of events? Maybe they shaped his character in a different direction so even after what he said in 2, he went back against that.
>>
>>93760460
Non canon. Well, maybe 3. Four isn't even the same director tho, plus its trash
>>
I actually loved it. The falling to Earth scene has been a very, very, very big inspiration to me - every single day I just want to close my eyes and freefall like he did.

I have never seen a better portrayal of letting go of life's struggles so peacefully than this scene - it's honestly like entering Heaven:

https://youtu.be/XUxAGsL8b0o
>>
>>93754483

I remember watching this on a weeknight at a midnight showing with a few comic book friends (mostly Marvel heads) - it opened on a Wednesday, IIRC so it might have been Tuesday. We saw an Imax 3D showing and the theater was packed. The audience applauded at all the expected moments, but a lot of them stood up when the airplane in the airfield moment came.

So I had fond memories of the movie but I do remember on rewatching a few years later that there were things I had problems with, from how the fight between the Luthor thugs who had no dialogue and Superman. It struck me as one sided and pretty violent when I first watched it and made less sense every time I rewatch it. I often skip that and other chunks of the movie when I rewatch but do think it has some elements that are very re-watchable.

I agree - Routh's Clark was really good, and I liked his Superman. It's a shame they didn't get to do more sequels. The film didn't really make any less money that Batman Begins, it just got saddled with some $100M + of prior budget crap from Jon Peters and Superman Flyby and Superman Lives, etc.

The actual land grab was also pretty stupid, Parker Posey is a good actress but was miscast. A different villain or a different Luthor plot would have been far better, and the entire son plot, as it plays out with Richard White as Lois' finance and vis-a-vis Lois and Clark's relationship, is both unnecessary and problematic on so many levels.
>>
File: Returns.gif (880KB, 445x180px) Image search: [Google]
Returns.gif
880KB, 445x180px
>>
>>93759298
>Bosworth

After we saw the movie and were having dinner, a bunch of us felt she was miscast - too young, not really he right feel/tone for Lois or for a professional woman. Routh could pass for late 20s whereas she barely looked like she could have a child as old as Jason if she got knocked up in High School.
>>
>>93758894

There is supposedly a 3D conversion of this, that was done as a test for Singer. I'm annoyed that it's never seen the light of day as an extra.
>>
File: lois-lane-2006.jpg (127KB, 971x648px) Image search: [Google]
lois-lane-2006.jpg
127KB, 971x648px
22 year old Lois was ridiculous. All of the scenes with her son got me thinking about Superman getting her teen pregnant.
>>
>>93759238
>Supes spends the whole movie being mopey
You must fucking hate the DCEU then?
>>
This movie sucks, if i wanted to see superman 1 again, I'd just watch that instead
>>
>>93759238
>His actions fly in the face of everything he learned in Superman II and everything he swore to do.

The biggest issues with the movie were some of the choices they made - having Clark go to Krypton isn't necessarily a bad plot point - the length, timing, etc. is what causes the problem. If it came after the existence of a shared universe (say Kara was around while Clark was off in space, or the JL exists, etc.), it would be less of an issue.

Likewise, rehashing the land grab/real estate aspect. Luthor isn't a bad villain to repeat with but there are so many schemes they could have gone with.

The acting, set design, tone, etc. all that was good to great -save the casting of Bosworth.
>>
>>93755882
>mainly DCEU fags
Wrong
>>
>>93762985
>>93763855

I thought the Luthor plot could have worked if he wasn't in it for real estate but to create his own kingdom.
He talks about having all this advanced alien tech at his disposal. Why not grow this new landmass to rules over? Use the Alien tech to encourage people to come and be you subjects / work with you whilst also warding of other nations.
>>
>>93754483
This movie is the cure for insomnia.
>>
File: 1484886686913.png (515KB, 826x826px) Image search: [Google]
1484886686913.png
515KB, 826x826px
>>93756066
>Not loving Trunks
>>
File: Kneel Before Me, Kal-El.jpg (99KB, 468x646px) Image search: [Google]
Kneel Before Me, Kal-El.jpg
99KB, 468x646px
FUN FACT: General Zod was originally in the movie too. Luthor would free him from the Phantom Zone and they'd join forces against Superman. But Bryan Singer wanted Jude Law was Zod and when he declined he preferred to write out the character rather than recast.

Singer also originally approached Shawn Ashmore to play Jimmy Olsen, and Famke Janssen to play Lara and Hugh Jackman to play Jonathan Kent in cameo appearances. Fox was reportedly butthurt that Singer had not only ditched "X-Men 3" for "Superman Returns" but was also trying to poach most of its cast and crew and that's why they rushed "X-Men: The Last Stand" into production to beat "Superman Returns" to theaters.
>>
File: 1460241205838.jpg (8KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
1460241205838.jpg
8KB, 259x194px
>>93754483
I'm not the biggest fan but damned if this scene wasn't fucking beautiful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdmzCN6Kshs
>>
>>93763358
Nope. Because DCEU Clark is upset at things out of his control. Returns Clark is upset Lois moved on, when he was the one who fucked off for five years. It's like purposely touching a hot stove and being mad you got burned.
>>
It's not good. Still, it has the best scene of any Superman film to date:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyI7W_EMZiw
>>
I enjoy parts of it, and looking hack was too harsh on the half-breed kid,
But it might be the worst Lex Luthor plan in all of movies.

I mean, really, he uses a terraforming crystal to make an entire continent of radioactive rock. Even if he HAD pulled off killing Superman, he'd be left with an unlivable pile of land. Can't even grow vegetation probably.
>>
>>93768226
It's a shame that they based him off the Hackman Lex. I think Spacey could have pulled off a much more sinister version.

It's kind of amazing that the best Luthor we've gotten on the silver screen is from a shitty 1950 serial.
>>
File: brandon-routh.jpg (419KB, 683x1024px) Image search: [Google]
brandon-routh.jpg
419KB, 683x1024px
>>
>>93766669
and james marsden gets killed quickly in x3. it really tingles the noodles
>>
>>93763855
The novelization (by Wolfman? Don't recall) implies that Luthor phonied up some transmission
From Krypton, thereby luring Supes out to space, where he was supposed to die.
Which makes Lex's long con much more interesting.....
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.