[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to motivate an artist

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

File: 1497560650459.jpg (517KB, 1748x1460px) Image search: [Google]
1497560650459.jpg
517KB, 1748x1460px
>Starting a hobby webcomic with a friend
>I'm the "idea guy"
>Confident in my writing and story telling abilities from experience in other media
>In charge of drafting and coming out with page layout and dialogue

>Friend just got a new job and is working 12 hours most days
>Still shows interest in talking and brainstorming
>Hasn't actually done any work on the comic and I feel momentum slipping

Besides having an adult face-to-face conversation with him, is there anything that usually motivates other people into drawing?

>Pic unrelated
>>
>>93735226
Money and/or good sex.
>>
>>93735226
Sabotage his job
>>
>>93735226
kill self
>>
>>93735226
Money
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrYnZ7ZxRe4
>>
I think it's a no-go, anon. Speaking as a professional comic artist myself who was completely unmotivated and produced nothing when I had a 9-7 job, it's very hard to find the energy and time to produce art consistently in that situation. You can certainly train yourself to get into that work ethic, but it's very taxing in the long-run.

You can discuss maybe setting mini deadlines to give him impetus to work, but if that fails you'd be better off finding someone else.

How long d'you intend the webcomic to be, and how often will it be ideally updated?
>>
>>93735226
come back to /meg/
>>
>>93735226
Pay him 50 dollars.
>>
>>93735993
The webcomic plot was intentionally designed with the plot freedom to be as long or as short as possible. We haven't agreed on how long it would be besides "however long we want" but I was thinking that a solid 20 chapters would be about right. Ideally, I'd want to have it updated once a month or every two weeks if it goes well. We've been in the planning phase for about 2 months now though.
>>
>>93735226
It's not going to happen.

It's admirable that you're taking on everything from writing to page layout, but none of what you're doing is the actual hard work and labor of comic creation. Sorry if I can't dress it up in nicer terms, but it would be a lie otherwise. If he's doing it for free, but not actually churning out anything, then you need to realize that it's just not happening because there's no carrot at the end of the stick.

Maybe try changing formats to minimize the size of his drawing goal? A comic that uses a single illustration per page with far more text consuming the page layout, for instance. If the goal seems more attainable, then you're likely to see more output. And if it gains any sort of success, he might end up far more motivated and start to push harder towards loftier goals and more content.
>>
>>93735226
>Friend just got a new job and is working 12 hours most days

Yeeeeah, you're friend is a human being not a robot. Expecting him to do artistic work on top of that is asinine.
>>
>>93736442
This.

12 hours of work a day is insane. Add 8 for sleep and he only has 4 left for "me-time". It's fucking over.

If you want him to art, pay him more than his job does so he can quit. Otherwise, fuck off and look for someone else, this guy has a life now and he's not going to draw for you in his precious little off-time.
>>
>>93736442
>you're friend is a human being

*your friend is a human being
>>
>>93735226
Is this a hobby or what?
Is he fulfilled in his job?
Does he actually care a lot about the comic? Because it sounds like you might just want him to be your art monkey.
>>
>>93735226
>I'm the "idea guy"
Translation: "I'm too inept to make anything productive on a physical level."

Learn to draw, faggot.
>>
>>93736012
What is /meg/?
>>
>>93735226
If you believe in the thing, pay him out of pocket to do some test pieces, then use them to build a kickstarter to pay for the rest.
>>
>>93736203
Twenty chapters seems like something that'll take many years to finish. If you are planning to have someone else draw the comic you need to cut that down to at least five.
>>
>>93737796
He's also writing. Don't be a prick, prick.
>>
>>93736442
This.

>Besides having an adult face-to-face conversation with him

This sounds like you're scolding him, like you're having some kind of intervention to set him straight. Dude's working 12 fucking hours and you are asking for even more after all that? What job do you have?
>>
>>93735226
Nothing kills creativity faster than the grind of a real job. For me, even just working part time weekends drains my creative drive to almost nothing, but working solely as a freelance artist I'm good to draw almost everyday. I'm probably an extreme case but I know other artists who are similarly demoralized out of art when career takes over
>>
>>93739811
Yeah, this. Financial incentive adds a layer of responsibility on the artist that, in turn, translates into motivation. I'll repeat what I said in >>93736366 that you need to generate goals for the guy beyond just superficial creation. Invest a little of your own money and get him to produce something on payment. Post online what he ends up making, let the praise roll in, show it to him, and start building up the fire inside.
>>
>>93736203
A standard comic in either manga or american comics is around 20 pages. Even if he were updating EVERY DAY which is an insanely grueling schedule, 20 chapters would still take you guys over a year to finish.
>>
>>93736366
this guy knows what's up
i'm a professional artist, who many times have tried a collaboration effort with one of my friends
and unless it's a money making venture it's hard to justify the time for it
i have my own comics that i haven't released yet, cause the coloring process takes so goddamned long, and it's such an involved task that there's always something else (that will guaranteed make me money) that comes up and distracts me
most collabs i've had with friends have never gotten past the planning stages
>>
You need to understand that comics/manga are nothing more than tools to tell a story. When you write a novel, the writer is doing 100% of the storytelling, so all the hard work is on them. As a writer for a comic you are writing the story and dialogue, but as an artist, you are doing the work of telling the story. Because the telling part of storytelling isn't done through words in comic's, it's done through the visuals.This is a lot of work for artists, they're not just illustrators in this context, they are also figuring out how to tell the story. So it's no wonder your friend can't keep up with his schedule.

You either need to find a new artist (which means money will be involved), or you need to learn how to draw yourself. Which btw, if you are making a webcomic, your art only needs to be average (you can even get away with below average depending on the genre). Story and characters are king, people will stay as you improve your art, or don't really. But, if you can have great art from the beginning too, you will be setting yourself up for success.
>>
>>93740984
>through words in comic's
>>
>>93735313

This. Show some appreciation and suck his dick.
>>
>>93742800
If you already to suck dick/take it up the ass, you better up your skills. Dude works 12 hrs.
>>
>>93735313
>>93742800
>>93743190
Suck his dick and pay him for it.
>>
>These dudes telling OP to pay him.
Alright. Then who's gonna pay the writer?
>>
>>93735226
>>I'm the "idea guy"
I feel bad for your friend.

Drawing demands a lot of you. Unless your friend has a lot of professional experience with making comics, or you're willing to let it take a long ass time, it is not realistic to demand him to push shit out for free while working 12h/d (which in itself is fucking ridiculous).

It's better to just drop it or you will loose a friend.
>>
File: 1419132065433.png (537KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
1419132065433.png
537KB, 720x480px
>>93744336
when he writes something worth drawing
>>
>>93744336
His payment is using the artist as a vehicle to potential success. In comics, the writer/artist relationship dynamic is more lopsided than between men and women in romance. Quite frankly, the writer is nearly valueless unless they are masters of their craft or have some special background.
>>
>>93744527
This thought process always screams underage to me.

That or someone who works at Cartoon Network.
>>
>>93735313
>>93744303
>>93743190
>>93742800
4Chan, never disappoints you.

Thats the first thing i would write too. Dont waster an opportunity for a good classic joke!
>>
>>93735226
Pay him or draw it yourself.
Or better yet, draw it yourself and pay him to redraw it.
>>
>>93744801
A comic can be made without a writer.
A comic can not be made without an artist.

Being a writer isn't inherently easier, especially if they're doing layouts, thumbnails, design work, etc, but it isn't as necessary. That's just the reality of the situation.

t. Writer
>>
File: headbang.gif (3KB, 50x50px) Image search: [Google]
headbang.gif
3KB, 50x50px
>>93746410
>A comic can not be made without an artist.
Fuck you, you're not my dad
>>
>>93747025
They didn't pay him, but Rock's sprite artist still contributed.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.