[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Christianity and the MCU

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: Vision and Ultron.png (588KB, 687x452px) Image search: [Google]
Vision and Ultron.png
588KB, 687x452px
Is it just me, or are there a lot of similarities to be found between certain aspects of Christian mythology and the MCU?

Take Vision and Ultron and think about them in the context of the arch-angels Michael and Gabriel. And this is in a movie where scripture is directly quoted several times by both of these characters.

Take the Mind Stone to basically be God, because given the fact the Infinity Stones predate the universe, they're as close to a God as the MCU gets. You've got Vision and Ultron both being born out of the Mind Stone.

Ultron is the obedient spawn of the Mind Stone. He sees all of man's flaws, and immediately decides the best way to deal with man is to totally destroy them. Ultron is Gabriel, as Gabriel is the Angel of Death, and the herald of the apocalypse. Ultron's goal is to destroy all life on earth using a city in the sky, which is essentially what happens in the Book of Revelations.

Vision is the dissenting spawn of the Mind Stone. He sees the potential for good that exists in mankind and would rather save them, despite knowing they're doomed, purely because he believes that life is precious. Vision is Michael. What's more, Paul Bettany played the arch-angel Michael in that shitty Legion movie.

I feel like there's a lot more to this, and I've got some more ideas regarding the relationship between Death, Thanos, and the Infinity Stones if this catches your fancy.
>>
>>93699358
Tony taking the nuke out through the wormhole with the expectation of dying for it before falling back to Earth with his arms apart was pretty Jesus-y
>>
>>93699358
>mythology
>>
>>93699358
But Ultron wanted to simply put humanity through turmoil at first because he thought it weeded out the week, then got frustrated and decided to go full extinction.
>>93699409
Mythology is the correct term, even if you're a believer it's still officially mythology.
>>
>>93699409
What else would it be? Fact?
>>
>>93699441
Wanda touching the cradle reveals that that was purely deception. Ultron's endgame was always the decimation of mankind.
>>
>>93699358
>Babby's first lit course
>>
>>93699395
Okay, so I'll touch upon the Jesus stuff I guess.

With Tony, it's just a case of Christ imagery really, but if you look at Vision and Doctor Strange, wielders of Infinity Stones, then they actually put themselves through fairly Messianic ordeals.

>Vision locks Ultron out of the web, which for some reason causes him to fall unconscious and spread his arms out as if nailed to a cross.
>Doctor Strange may well have spent thousands of years being brutally murdered by Dormammu over and over again.

These are fairly typical Christian ideas of self-sacrifice for the greater good, but the presence of the Infinity Stones in each case, and their actual usage in the situation at hand, implies a sort of divine intervention.
>>
>>93699358
Any similarities are unintended.
>>
>>93699409
Theology is just Mythology but with the backing of an organization.
>>
File: Cosmic_Entities-BTS.png (4MB, 1154x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Cosmic_Entities-BTS.png
4MB, 1154x1280px
>>93699358
Screw it, I'll get into the Thanos stuff.

So, the cosmic entities created the Infinity Stones, of which there are six. In Christian mythos, there are six angels of death and Death as an entity is often seen as the Angel of Light and Dark. The idea of Light vs. Darkness has come up a few times in the MCU, mostly in Doctor Strange though.

As such, you've got the Infinity Stones which are basically instruments of Light and Darkness, with some controlling the Lighter aspects of the universe, and others the Dark. Look at the Aether, or the Power Stone, these are purely destructive forces and if the depiction of the creation of the Infinity Stones is taken to be canon then Death created the Reality Stone.

So if Death is basically the proponent of Reality, then a love of death is a desire to be all there is. To be God. Enter Thanos.
>>
File: Thanos_Infinity_Gauntlet.jpg (197KB, 1920x802px) Image search: [Google]
Thanos_Infinity_Gauntlet.jpg
197KB, 1920x802px
>>93699931
Thanos is no idiot, he can see that the Infinity Stones are a means of achieving Godhood. How? Using the Infinity Gauntlet. Bear in mind, Thanos has the left handed Infinity Gauntlet. To be on the left of God, is to be held in disdain by God, while to be held in the Right, is to be held at God's mercy.

Left and Right can also be divided as good and evil. Their roots are found in the Latin words "dextra" and "sinistra". The gauntlet Thanos has in his possession is the left handed one. The other gauntlet seen in Odin's vault, is the right handed one.

This implies that Thanos isn't on a road to become God, but rather to fall within the paramaters of God's disdain. The Infinity Stones, i.e. God, don't want to be used for nefarious purposes.
>>
File: thanos-black-order.jpg (782KB, 1280x704px) Image search: [Google]
thanos-black-order.jpg
782KB, 1280x704px
>>93700045
Thanos, rather than becoming God, becomes the destroyer, becomes the herald of the end of days. Thanos becomes Gabriel. If you take Thanos's "children" into account, they are five in number. The remaining five angels of death. Gamora, Nebula, Proxima Midnight, Corvus Glaive, and Korath. Obviously Korath's dead, and Gamora's on the side of good, but we don't know just how many members of the Black Order are going to show up in Infinity War. They may fill in the gap.
>>
>>93699358
>he arch-angels Michael and Gabriel
That is one of the most retarded comparisons I've read on /co/. Do you actually know anything about either of them beyond your superficial knowledge of pop culture drivel?

>>93699931
>>93700045
>>93700127
Please, just stop. You know even less about theology than you do about capeshit.
>>
>>93699358
Its Whedon. He is a fedora fucker. I can assure you 100% nothing was done like a religious analogy.

Plus Disney is also marxist as fuck. They wouldnt allow it.
>>
>>93699358
This scene was so out of left field. The entire mpvoe had been nothing but quipping and then Whedon tries to tie it up with some "deep" little conversation.
>>
File: Zack-Snyder-420-420x0.jpg (36KB, 420x454px) Image search: [Google]
Zack-Snyder-420-420x0.jpg
36KB, 420x454px
>>
>>93699358

>Take Vision and Ultron and think about them in the context of the arch-angels Michael and Gabriel.
I don't know what context you're coming from, but I feel like Ultron was playing himself up more as Old Testament God through his harsh decision-making, while Vision was clearly being linked to Jesus and/or New Testament God with the concept contentment and forgiveness.

From Ultron's rhetoric about Noah's ark and his purposeful placement of his meteor device at the center of a church. How it relates to other characters is well beside the point since both Vision and Ultron are presented outside of them, in which they're isolated as a pair of super-powered godlike creator and creation of sorts.
>>
>>93699358
>Superheroes based on archetypes are similar to all these other characters based on archetypes too!

Well, no shit.
There's a reason why Christianity itself has many similarities with older religions, and so on.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.