[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Top 5 favorite artists

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_0324.jpg (210KB, 1200x1508px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0324.jpg
210KB, 1200x1508px
What are your top 5 favorite artists /co/? Do you agree with Marvel in thinking that artists have no pull in the medium?

Mine are
1. Kirby
2. Stokoe
3. Maleev
4 Bagley
5. Ribic
>>
>>93689398
In no order: Kirby, Perez, Scalera, Cooke and Quitely
>>
Perez
Ross
Rocafort
Finch
Darwynn
>>
>>93689398
>Bagley
I can't see how Mark Bagley could be anybody's favorite of anything, unless they've not read much, even within American mainstream comics.
>>
>>93689398
Perez
Crain
Jae Lee
Bisley
Sienkiewicz

(Kirby and Jim Aparo for changing up the industry)
>>
Ditko
Kirby
Don rosa
Darrow
Bolland
>>
>>93689762
His fundamentals are on point. Story telling, perspective, etc. Style is not the greatest though.
>>
File: moebius-ltm-06.jpg (103KB, 1024x329px) Image search: [Google]
moebius-ltm-06.jpg
103KB, 1024x329px
Joe Kubert
Goran Parlov
José Luís García Lopéz
Moebius
Alex Toth

That's mostly oldschool dudes, I've a lot of younger and more recent dudes I could go on about too
>>
Kirby
Giraud
Fisher
Powell
Kubert
>>
>Top 5 in no order:
Jim Steranko
George Perez
Gene Colan
Barry Windsor-Smith
Bernie Wrightson

>Honorable mentions (excluding the obvious Kirby/Eisner):
Neal Adams
Frank Miller (with the right inker)
Bill Sienkiewicz
Jean Giraud (Moebius)
Alex Ross
Mike Mignola
Gil Kane
Frank Quitley
Wally Wood
John Buscema
Dave Gibbons
Walt Simonson
John Romita Sr.
Jim Starlin (in the 70's)
Jim Aparo
Lou Fine
Arthur Adams
Nick Cardy
Alan Davis
Olivier Coipel
David Mazzucchelli
Brian Bolland
Paul Smith
>>
>>93689398
Modern Marvel knows jack shit about maintaining a proper pool of talent.

Not in any order, and probably not my platonic "favorite".
Kirbyfag to death, but there are definitely other artists now that can compete with him aesthetically, even if they may never come close to being the fucking workhorse that he was.
Doug Mahnke
Chris Weston best Morrison collaborator
Mike Mignola
my nigga Tom Scioli
Honorable mentions:
Marley Zarcone
Frazer Irving
>>
>>93689762
OP here.

I like Bagley because I read USM as a kid, and ever since then his art has been super comfy whenever I read it for nostalgia reasons. It just reminds me of being a big eyed kid looking up at all the cool books before I was jaded. I can see why people don't like him though.
>>
File: 1326139876644.gif (36KB, 300x300px)
1326139876644.gif
36KB, 300x300px
>>93690316
Excellent taste my man. Although I never cared for Aparo, don't understand the hype.
>>
Kirby
Ditko
Jaime Hernandez
Mike Allred
Steve Rude
>>
Tim Sale
Frank Miller
Darwyn Cooke
Norm Breyfogle
Pat Gleason
>>
>>93690316
I can tell, you like the clean by highly detailed style.
>>
>>93690593
I do not think he is an excellent artist but he helped bring in some more modern styled art into capeshit comics. His anatomy was amazing.
>>
>>93689398
In chronological order:
1. Kirby/Eisner (tie, because both laid the foundation of American comics)
2. John Buscema (I just love his style)
3. John Byrne (as long as he doesn't ink his own works)
4. George Perez (everything he touches is gold)
5. Alex Ross (one of the best artists in the world, and he chose to focus on comics, this will never happen again)
>>
Stan Lee was the only true Marvel artist. Everyone he worked with just absorbed his genius, like flowers under the sun.
>>
>>93690755
Shit posting during the summer, shocking.
>>
>>93690593
It helps that Aparo was the artist for Batman when I first discovered comics, he'll always have a place in my heart as a result. His art became what I associate as the De facto Batman look.

Also, his gargantuan run on Brave and the Bold provided his renditions of just about every hero Of that era.

>>93690640
Correct, I also like a close attention to musculature/anatomy and shadow/light contrasts.

I appreciate less traditional art like Mignola and Sienkiewicz but I always gravitate back to the "clean but detailed" style.
>>
File: IMG_6800.jpg (39KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6800.jpg
39KB, 600x399px
1.Stan Lee
2.Stan Lee
3.Stan Lee
4.Stan Lee
5.Stan Lee
>>
>>93691006
1. Youre a faggot
2. Youre a faggot
3. Youre a faggot
4. Youre a faggot
5. Youre a faggot
>>
>>93689398
Current top 5, not all time.

Dexter Soy
Stjepan Sejic
Jorge Jimenez
Otto Schmidt
Ben Caldwell
>>
What makes a good artist?
>>
>>93691181
Personal taste is the easy answer. For some a great artist would possess a richly detailed realistic style but others might abhor a strict sense of realism and prefer a more abstract/highly stylized/unique style.

If you're looking for "cues" that might signify a great artist you could look at whether or not they received significant recognition/praise from their fellow artists, or whether or not their style influenced a general shift/trend within the industry especially so if said trend outlasted the artist.
>>
>>93689398
No order:
>Quitely
>Texeira
>Villalobos
>Senior
>Kirby
>>
>>93690541
It's not that I don't like him, he's barely above adequate. He doesn't suck but that's pretty much all.
>>
>ctr+f
>Richard Corben
>0 results

Wtf is wrong with you, people?
>>
>>93692001
I was tempted to put him
I really love his work but I find most people don't like his art
>>
>>93692108
Most people suck then. I buy anything with his name on it. I recently got his Creepy anthology and it's one of my favorite books in my collection.
Not to mention the guy did some really groundbreaking work with color back in the day, and nobody in American comics came even close for many years.
>>
File: leostarr.jpg (136KB, 640x574px) Image search: [Google]
leostarr.jpg
136KB, 640x574px
>>93689398
1. Leonard Starr
2. Alex Raymond
3. Milton Caniff
4. Winsor McCay
5. Mike Grell
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.