[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Eltingville Club

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 18

Does It hit too close? What did you guys think about the comics and the pilot?
>>
>>93683204
i would vote for him for president
>>
that pilot and the anime club saga from gunshow are the only honest portrayals of fan culture in media I've ever seen
>>
>>93683204
>Does It hit too close
Yeah, a lot of closet robots got pretty fanny flustered at the last two issues.
>>
Storytime?
>>
>>93683204
I've never known anyone like this outside of the internet... And maybe one guy in a dnd group from uni.
>>
>>93683275
>the joke is that fans are fucking crazy

weak joke desu
>>
>>93683204
It's not like it's supposed to be accurate. It's a representation of the worst of the worst.

Unfortunately it's still pretty damn accurate.
>>
>>93684849
>>93685053
Dork/The Eltingville Club based on the creator's own childhood along with when he was editor for a writer who got death threats after killing off a character
>>
>>93683204
Most of 4chan would never tell someone in real life this stuff. He's a braver man than I could be. A true hero.
>>
>>93685107
>along with when he was editor for a writer who got death threats after killing off a character

He wasn't editor. It was his friend who was editor (at the company Dorkin worked at) and writer (on Justice League of America).
>>
>>93685185
Haha, faggot. Acts like a tough guy in the Internet but when it comes to talking to real people pusses out. Hahaha pathetic.
>>
>>93685228
Do you tell women the truth, like Our Guy does?
>>
I like the comics and the pilot specifically for the reasons this anon pointed out.
>>93683275
No one on the inside really wants to admit it, but fan culture is a cesspool more often than not, mostly because tying a huge part of your identity to the media you consume is really unhealthy. The characters in Eltingville Club hit close to home because odds are, we probably knew guys like that, if we weren't them ourselves. And it's not even like this sort of thing is exclusive to the specific kind of nerd Eltingville portrays- you see this sort of behavior everywhere fandom thrives, regardless of the subject.

You could almost say the comics and the pilot are cautionary tales, except the audience they're intended for is in too deep to change at this point. Not saying I'm any different, incidentally, I'm on /co/ after all, but a little self-awareness is good for you now and again. All those totally lame "normies" back in high school that suggested finding other hobbies, maybe going outside once in awhile? They sorta had a point.
>>
>>93685262
Fuck off, you piece of shit robot. Go drink bleach.
>>
>>93683204
It was pretty spot on and he had a point about people who have no idea what they are talking about just barge into comics because being a geek is popular now. You can see the influence with the fact nothing good has come out of the big two in over a decade and a half.
>>
>>93685289
Being a tough guy on the internet, huh? You wouldn't say that to my face. I'd break slam your white knight ass down with one punch.
>>
>>93685290
>he had a point about people who have no idea what they are talking about just barge into comics because being a geek is popular now
That's not what happened in the comic at all though, Jerry's girlfriend was just hanging out with them like normal, a little freaked out sure, but she wasn't actually doing anything.
>>
>>93685338
Have you ever even set foot inside a gym, kid? I'd break your scrawny ass neck with a slap across your pasty white face.
>>
I kind of want to see a Female Eltingville club just because of my one girlfriend and her fandom issues...they got intense and scary.
>>
>>93685355
He was ranting about other shit that was bothering him and the con arc was the final straw.

Not saying he isn't pathetic but you can be a pathetic person and still right.
>>
>>93685374
I'm six foot thirteen inches tall and was raised by weapons.
>>
>>93683204
Now post the page where the clever and sharped tongue woman gives him a verbal beatdown.
>>
>>93685384
You already see it though, just follow tumblr drama
>>
>>93685403
Pfftt, whatever you say, fatty. Go back to that cheeseburger.
>>
>>93683204
I'm too casual to understand most of the references.
>>
>>93685384
This is what we need. Females can be gross nerds too.
>>
>>93685415
That never happens.
>>
>>93685265
At this point it's safe for me to say 4chan and my nerd hobbies have ruined my life, or rather the shot at one I might have had. I don't even have the pure obsession or transcendental experiences I can see in other anonymous shitposters - in fact, I still judge them for having those even now. C'est la vie, mais pas comme nous le savons.

>When you don't know what you're living for, you don't care how you live from one day to the next. You're happy the day has passed and the night has come, and in your sleep you bury the tedious question of what you lived for that day and what you're going to live for tomorrow.
>>
>>93683204
>What did you guys think about the comics and the pilot?
I liked the pilot, but I feel like the Boba Fett chapter wasn't the kind of story you want use as a pitch for the series.
>>
>>93685420
>SU was just recently knocked off the kill count top score by Danny Phantom
Tumblr is a hell of a drug.
>>
>>93685415
That doesn't happen
His "friends" and the girl just walk away
>>
>>93685451
Seems impossible. What happens instead?
>>
>>93685289
You didn't answer the guy's question.
>>
File: 1398911758492.jpg (144KB, 959x801px) Image search: [Google]
1398911758492.jpg
144KB, 959x801px
>>93685451
Because deep down the writer knows he's right and can't conjure an argument against facts. Make the character ugly and overly flustered if you want but the words still ring true.
>>
>>93685420
Yeah but it's one thing for it be on Tumblr you can find this shit on forums but seeing the reality and have someone living through it is a different story. One person I know was so afraid of saying she didn't like Nimona but she had to support it anyway.
>>
>>93685490
Why would I randomly insult women if I don't have any issues with them? Would I tell a flabby, greasy, smelly robot to fuck off in real life? Yes, yes I would, because unlike (You) I don't have any developmental issues.
>>
>>93685467
What are you talking about? Another spree killer?
>>
>>93685520
He's not right. At the end of the story Jerry still has his girlfriend and a promising career as a card player ahead of him, Bill and the rest are just left as bitter, jaded cynics who will never be happy. But sure, read whatever you want into it.
>>
>>93685473
The remainder of the club and the girlfriend walk away until Bill (the guy shouting in OP's pic) reveals to Jerry (the guy who has the girlfriend) that he sabotaged any chance he had with his high school crush by spreading a rumor that he fucked her
Jerry, despite being the most mature member of the disbanded club, becomes fucking pissed and starts pummeling Bill to a pulp until the two other members try to hold him back
Jerry reveals that Bill was the anonymous user who was shitting on the two other members in secret by giving them death threats and then they get pissed off and start wanting to pummel Bill until he gets up and tricks a majority of the convention that Joss Whedon's there leading to him getting run over by fans
Their fight eventually leads to comic con being left as a chaos with all four members inevitably going to jail since their kerfuffle lead to Jim Steranko getting crushed by a line
>>
>>93685546
Nigga, they're all going to jail after what their fight led up to.
Jerry still having his girlfriend is left unclear
>>
>>93685467
The Tumblr SU fandom didn't even get them to kill themselves, it was just an attempt.

But I heard Wander Over Yonder fandom did get someone to kill themselves
>>
>>93685532
Tumblr caused a couple suicide attempts and one was successful, the nutter who shot up a grocery got three.
>>
>>93685524
I don't want to fuck every girl I see, but when I do see a hot girl I'm not going to outright tell her I want to fuck her.
>>
File: 1498990487378.jpg (77KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1498990487378.jpg
77KB, 500x500px
>>93685262
I would, and I have.
>>
File: DEFEdT4WsAAKFoc.jpg (189KB, 1002x707px) Image search: [Google]
DEFEdT4WsAAKFoc.jpg
189KB, 1002x707px
Friendly reminder that comic book nerds are so unhinged some of them started to dress up as superheroes and "fight crime"
>>
File: 1448926043827.png (2MB, 806x952px) Image search: [Google]
1448926043827.png
2MB, 806x952px
I really love the pilot and let it run in the background farily often. I want a show based off nerd culture that is ACTUAL nerd culture and not insanely generic shit.
>>
File: 75678.jpg (7KB, 223x226px) Image search: [Google]
75678.jpg
7KB, 223x226px
>>93685403
>>
File: 1479307198953.jpg (15KB, 200x259px) Image search: [Google]
1479307198953.jpg
15KB, 200x259px
>>93683204
I first read this when I was thirteen or fourteen and I felt exposed and filled with even more self-loathing. I didn't understand why a comics person would make a comic like this. A lot of self-hatred in comics, I guess.
>>
>>93685689

There's always TBBT anon :^)
>>
>>93685725
Dork of The Eltingville Club
The last two issue came out in 2014 IIRC
>>
>>93685857
*or the
>>
Can somebody post some Eltingville comics please?
>>
>>93685689
>having to substitute all the names of corporate IPs for generic parody names
>actual nerd culture

anon...
>>
>>93685557
I thought they all took cover in the Ghostbusters car before Jerry realized how awful the rest were and went to find his girlfriend in the stampede, I didn't see them go to jail
>>
>>93685265
>No one on the inside really wants to admit it, but fan culture is a cesspool more often than not
no joking, look what it did to this place
people talk shit about horseshow but pick any tumblr show and its three times worse
>>
>>93685914
yes, that's how it ends.
>I didn't see them go to jail
That's why I said inevitably going to jail.
They reunite as adults and fuck up once more
>>
>>93685679
>Kickass
Was anyone else disappointed by Kickass 3? I liked how there was a split between the comics and the movies. The movies were more of fantasy fulfillment while the comics were "Only a fucking idiot lunatic would try to be a superhero in real life. Real life ain't comic books so you're gonna get fucked up hard."

But then in Kickass 3 it ended up being like the movies with everything turns out fine in the end because Kickass hallucinated his parents telling him that the power of loving comic books would give him the strength to win the fight.
>>
File: Principal Prickley's Speech.png (103KB, 889x302px) Image search: [Google]
Principal Prickley's Speech.png
103KB, 889x302px
Recess did the Trivia-Off scene way better than The Eltingville Club pilot did.

It was the episode when TJ wanted the school to have a field trip so everyone could go see the Senior Fusion movie but he had to answer 10 trivia questions from Principal Prickley (who is secretly a huge Fusion fan) for it to happen.

It was a shorter scene. It was less alienating to the audience because all the trivia was fictional so none of us were actually expected to know any of it. It developed both TJ's and Prickley's characters. And it actually had consequences. Because TJ wins the trivia-off the school can go see the movie. In Eltingville Club the whole thing was meaningless because neither of them had the money to buy it so now who got the toy was decided by which one of them could race home and back to the shop the fastest.
>>
If you're enough of a raging autist to get offended by the antics of the Eltingville Club then you deserve to be made fun of.
>>
>>93685265
>All those totally lame "normies" back in high school that suggested finding other hobbies, maybe going outside once in awhile?
What century are you from? No one leaves the house anymore.
>>
>>93685857
Yeah, it was in Dork, in like 1993 or 4. My one friend who was into comics reminded me of the characters.
>>
>>93686460
I wonder how many people miss the joke in that image.
>>
>>93689040
I thought I watched the entire series but I must have missed that jungle gym episode.
>>
>>93686002
So there's more after the ghostbusters car scene where Jerry leaves? I thought that was the actual end
>>
>>93685520
Or maybe because all he yelled out was a string of gibberish that doesn't deserve an argument, and is so based on his own emotional hang ups and obvious delusions that even an idiot can tell it's not worth trying to pull him out.
>>
>>93689506
So. You have no argument. I double dog dare you to dismantle his talking points instead of just going PHEH HES A NERD SO WHO CARES LOL
>>
>>93689766
Not the Anon you're replying to, but:. any group that lets the presence of a woman completely fuck up the bonds and dynamics of its members is a group that isn't worth being part of that probably would've ended up fracturing due to some trivial bullshit anyway. Being so socially stunted and fragile that something as simple as being around a girl can incite this much rage isn't a "culture" worth preserving.

Weak willed faggot.
>>
File: 1431646981810.gif (447KB, 300x188px) Image search: [Google]
1431646981810.gif
447KB, 300x188px
>>93685403
>>
File: dontbemean.gif (1002KB, 500x270px) Image search: [Google]
dontbemean.gif
1002KB, 500x270px
>>93685596
>WoY caused a death

Fucking source? SU were telling people to off themselves, I couldn't see WoY fans being mean to anyone.
>>
File: animeclub.gif (425KB, 750x1185px) Image search: [Google]
animeclub.gif
425KB, 750x1185px
>>93683204

Etlingville is right about nerds.A lot of us have serious problems and those problems end up hurting ourselves more than anyone else. Anime Club was pretty good at showing this too.
>>
>>93683204
I bought the hardcover. Most fans of anything can find something to relate to in the series, even if that something isn't positive.
>>
>>93685464
>>When you don't know what you're living for, you don't care how you live from one day to the next. You're happy the day has passed and the night has come, and in your sleep you bury the tedious question of what you lived for that day and what you're going to live for tomorrow

Cmon man
>>
>>93683204
OP pic is literally /v/ right now watching SGDQ
>>
>>93683236
we did
>>
>>93686460
https://youtu.be/7v64eIXc5g4
>>
>>93685228
It's not worth being honest if it will negatively affect your life. Even on the internet there is the risk of CNN doxxing you. No need to be a martyr, just stay quiet.
>>
>>93691788
I had an argument like this over Sailor Moon
>>
>>93685679
Phoenix Jones is the only "real life super-hero" who ever came close to living up to that title. In reality he was little more than a glorified neighbourhood watch in a costume. The whole act was probably more advertisement for his MMA career than anything else.

They're just egocentric cosplayers who dress up for attention.
>>
>>93692673
Did this argument include the table flipping?
>>
>>93686369
Did you miss the ending was Kick-Ass giving up superheroing and becoming a cop? Or that a lot of superheroes had gotten killed in the crossfire? Sure, it's far more positive than the message in the first miniseries, but there's still kind of an unspoken implication there.
>>
>>93685403

Even assuming this was true, 7'1" would be a better way to describe your height. There are 12 inches in a foot.
>>
>>93689237
There isn't. That anon's taking the negative view of the whole thing.

The ending's left open. All you know is that Bill, Pete, and Josh remain there and practically didn't seem to change. Jerry is willing to take that risk out there to try and find his girlfriend. You could imagine it to be the negative view and Jerry breaks up with her and goes back to the group and they're all banned from SDCC. Or you could take the positive view that he does get back with his girlfriend and leaves the Eltingville Club for good while the other three get banned from SDCC.
>>
>>93683204

This guy's art always looks so kitschy
>>
>>93692584
I'm sure if we're all yellow pussies like you society will just fix its self.
>>
>>93683204

Sometimes. I admit I'm usually highly skeptical when a woman starts going through the whole "I'm such a nerd" song and dance routine, but I never go full sperg.
>>
>>93692673
If you weren't the one flipping tables you can just leave.
>>
File: comparison.png (254KB, 576x432px) Image search: [Google]
comparison.png
254KB, 576x432px
>>93685679
I never realized that deku's hero costume kinda resembles the main characters outfit from kickass, I wonder if that was an intentional reference.
>>
>>93691996
It's from Oblomov, if you're interested.
>>
>>93685107
>who got death threats after killing off a character
Eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth, blood for blood. Maybe people wouldn't want him dead if he didn't kill someone first?
>>
>>93692966
>"I'm such a nerd" song and dance routine
Except in the comic she never did that. Bill just hates women so he threw a temper tantrum and made up a bunch of self-righteous bullshit to justify it.
>>
>>93692862
I forgot about it but it still feels too Hollywood to me. Oh and I just remembered how Instead of being horrified that her daughter had been brainwashed into a bloodthirsty child soldier, Hitgirl's mom thought it was super cool and cheered her on
>>
>>93685523
The fuck? Tumblr supports fluid filled lungs?
>>
>>93683204
>Does It hit too close
Literally the only reason I hate BBT is because it doesn't hit close or hard enough
>>
>>93691788
>>93692673
GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY MOM'S HOUSE
>>
Dude's been in the industry longer than 99% of the people posting here have been alive, myself included. It doesn't hit too close to home; It obliterated the goddamn house and left it a smoking fucking crater. He hasn't just seen some shit, he's lived it.
>>
>>93693984
What more do you want from it? If it hits anymore it risks going into I AM SILLY territory.
>>
>>93694421
>If it hits anymore it risks going into I AM SILLY territory.
They had a scene where a girl walks into a comic shop and all the male customers are shocked and one asks if she's lost.

It's way past "I AM SILLY"
>>
>>93693656
dude, it's just fiction
>>
>>93694570
Murder is murder. In all likelihood our existence isn't real either.
>>
>>93692894
that's the joke, guy.
>>
>>93685490
Because some questions aren't worth answering, Anon.
>>
>>93685185
A true hero has principles worth fighting for - principles based on empathy and concern for one's fellow humans, not hate thinly-veiled as care for some kind of paltry purity.
>>
>>93690191
So, what you're saying is that Eltingville-esque nerds are about as bad as the Wahhabis.

I can dig it.
>>
>>93689506
>string of gibberish

Just admit you have no way to dismantle the talking points.

He's still a shitty guy, but he's not saying anything technically wrong.

Just socially "incorrect".
>>
It hits close enough that I can see myself in it, but still laugh.
Rusty Brown is what I call too close.
>>
>>93692584
Speak the truth, even if your voice shakes, anon.
>>
>>93686369
>The movies were more of fantasy fulfillment while the comics were "Only a fucking idiot lunatic would try to be a superhero in real life. Real life ain't comic books so you're gonna get fucked up hard."
I dropped it after the Hit-Girl mini because it was already just another superhero book that had nothing to do with the first one. Not to mention everything gets solved in the least imaginative way possible and even at 5 issues it feels like it drags on and on.
>>
>>93693656
>>93694692

t. the guy being made fun of
>>
>>93685464

>it's not MY fault, it's everyone else that ruined by life!

great way to preserve your ego while also being self-deprecating
>>
>>93685464
That's from Oblomov.....I don't know anyone else besides myself who has read that book.
>>
>>93693226
In no way do they resemble each other.
>>
>>93695269
Well, now you do. Try and meet some IRL too.
>>
>>93696848
easier said than done im afraid. i can recognize the disease but not cure it.
>>
>>93683204
i don't know about you guys but, besides this place, i never had a heated discussion about games or comics.

Most of the people i talk are super chill and the only time i ever had something close to that was when a crazy chick couldnt stop talking about nintendo for whatever reason.
>>
>>93694421
>>93694556
No, that's cute. I want cruel self recognition that makes it hurt to watch, not throwaway cliches.
>>
>>93685557
>lead to Jim Steranko getting crushed by a line
Did Evan correctly depict Jim as a disco midget in lifts?
>>
>>93692901
Honestly I don't see how you can see that ending and possibly think Jerry isn't leaving them for good in that scene
>>
>>93685384
>Female Eltingville club
The timing is perfect for this. The internet has driven chick nerds to madness and has made it possible to see all our worst sides.
>>
File: 1443189562016.jpg (1MB, 1200x1859px) Image search: [Google]
1443189562016.jpg
1MB, 1200x1859px
I'll storytime the first one. They're a lot more innocent than they'll become here. They don't get individual personalities until later.
>>
File: 1443189612278.jpg (1MB, 1200x1886px) Image search: [Google]
1443189612278.jpg
1MB, 1200x1886px
>>
File: 1443189662708.jpg (1MB, 1200x1887px) Image search: [Google]
1443189662708.jpg
1MB, 1200x1887px
>>
File: 1443189710570.jpg (1MB, 1200x1886px) Image search: [Google]
1443189710570.jpg
1MB, 1200x1886px
>>
File: 1443189760422.jpg (1MB, 1200x1870px) Image search: [Google]
1443189760422.jpg
1MB, 1200x1870px
>>
>>93683204
not so much me but i know/met a few guys like the members of the eltingville club granted they never went to the extremes like they did except one guy who got super salty in EDH.

basically my buddy's girlfriend was in a pod with this guy who got butthurt at my buddy for helping his girlfriend (my buddy wasn't the only one helping her since most of the regulars for EDH don't take it as seriously) and he REEEE'd so fucking hard he made a scene and rage quit the game. later he wrote a 1 - star review and posted it of the store's facebook group and everyone from the store basically called him out and called him a faggot. it got so bad he started deflecting all criticisms by saying he was going to join the army so he doesn't care anymore.

my favorite part was looking at his facebook.
>>
>>93683204
People like this DO exist but I've never seen any offline.
>>
>>93683204
It's just one "nerds are silly" joke through the entire comic.A joke that needed to be told but it's still repetitive
>>
I'm gonna be completely honest, look at how the corporations are shitting on "nerd culture" now that the 00's are over, and nerds are no longer "cool." With Gamergate, the Fappening, /pol/, and so on, they're turning mass opinion against nerds. Just like with every subculture, they've whored us out, and then moving on to the next thing, leaving things ruined.
>>
>>93692584
>Even on the internet there is the risk of CNN doxxing you
Fuck you 4Chan.Dont act as if people on this website never doxed anyone.Just take a look at Encyclopedia Dramatica
>>
>>93701038
>4Chan
>>
>>93700950
Is that in reference in how the recent marvel movies are directly or indirectly strawmaning or tell old comic fans that there shit.
>>
>>93692584
>et there is the risk of CNN doxxing you. No need to be a martyr, just stay quiet.

New organization revealing information? you don't say...
Thread posts: 132
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.