[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where did it all go so wrong Canadabros?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 14

File: YTV.jpg (21KB, 517x364px) Image search: [Google]
YTV.jpg
21KB, 517x364px
Where did it all go so wrong Canadabros?
>>
File: RebootSeason4Hex.jpg (62KB, 441x663px) Image search: [Google]
RebootSeason4Hex.jpg
62KB, 441x663px
It didn't go COMPLETELY wrong, anon.

... Some time slightly before season 4.
>>
>>93674200
I'd argue three factors:

- Anime stopped being broadcast on the channel
- Live action shows (both YTV's own and Nickelodeon's) eventually pushed out most of the animated schedule
- Eventually became Nick Canada in all but name.
>>
File: maxresdefault (4).jpg (135KB, 1706x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (4).jpg
135KB, 1706x1080px
Where does he get his eternal youth? From the school of Ash Ketchum?
>>
>>93674200
They started catering to parents and girls.
>>
Canada never should have been invented.
>>
File: some corny shit.gif (966KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
some corny shit.gif
966KB, 500x375px
>>93674563
How do you invent a country?
>>
>>93674606
By calling yourself a country and then getting the international community to take you seriously. Pretty straightforward, really.
>>
>>93674200
It started to depend too much on American shows. So when Nick went to shit, so did YTV. Also the fact that Corus owns YTV, Teletoon, Nick Canada, CN Canada, and Disney Channel Canada. So when all the children's networks are owned by the same company, there's no incentive to compete and improve. Since YTV is the only one of those channels to be included in the basic cable packages, Corus gives them the worst shows.
>>
>>93674200
YTV mostly bought shows from America which have longer commercial runtimes. In Canada (at the time), there was a law limiting how much advertising you could show to children. So, YTV came up with the Program Jockies (PJ Phil, etc.) to fill the air time.

Eventually, advertisers realized there was money in the PJ slot (The Zone, etc) and so they started paying YTV to have the PJs mention their products. They'd get directions like "Phil, don't forget to mention Timex Watches"

There are a couple interviews with Phil on soundcloud where he explains all this.

Anyway, what killed YTV was iCarly. That show was terrible.
>>
>>93674510
Carlos is like 37 now. I feel old. I remember his fist day as host when Sugar found him in the studio
>>
>>93674200

IT IS DEAD.
IT'S DEAD AND IT'S NEVER COMING BACK!
>>
>>93674536
>and girls.

If they were catering to girls then they would've kept airing anime. But the anime got a little intense and since it aired at an earlier time without (good enough) warnings parents became concerned and funny enough I think that killed YTV.

>>93674459
>- Live action shows (both YTV's own and Nickelodeon's) eventually pushed out most of the animated schedule

It's not even so much the live action shows and more like live action sitcom/kids comedy shows. They used to show live action shows that were aimed towards older audiences- like romantic shows aimed at teenagers or drama shows aimed at adults (Some were violent and I even remember there was a show where in one episode it was focused on cops and a girl who almost got raped in a washroom). They also aired Goosbumps and Are You Afraid of The Dark which were really spooky even if they were for mostly kids/teenagers.
>>
File: SailorMoonScoutsNotAmused.gif (1MB, 300x203px) Image search: [Google]
SailorMoonScoutsNotAmused.gif
1MB, 300x203px
>>93675741
>But the anime got a little intense

> intense

> sailor moon

> season 1, all the sailor scouts die in the final battle after brutally murdering all previous underlings of the evil queen beryl

> season 2, the enemies are literally 2 traumatized alien children and an abusive life-tree parent

> season 3, more retarded than dragon ball z
>>
>>93675217
>There are a couple interviews with Phil on soundcloud where he explains all this.

When YTV declined Phil literally had to say on television that people should stop bothering him if they see him in person/on the bus because there was nothing he could do about YTV changing.

>Anyway, what killed YTV was iCarly. That show was terrible.

This honestly. Once that show became popular it resulted in more kid sitcoms to be put on YTV which truly did kill YTV more than adults complaining that YTV was becoming too adult and wasn't safe for their kids anymore even though the older shows were pushed for later times and they put more warnings.

I think what also pushed YTV over was them airing Death Note. A lot of young teenagers got really into it. Also Inuyasha almost screwed YTV over a couple years before they added more anime.

Despite the anime being put into a specific programming block and airing at later hours it wasn't enough to deter the angry parents since kids just started staying awake longer to watch it.

Teletoon somehow got away with having Teletoon At Night for a very long time without angry parents overhauling it. I guess it looked adult enough for parents to understand that it wasn't for kids instead of "tricking" them into thinking it was okay.
>>
>>93675741
Yeah the Nick-styled sitcoms (and the actual Nick sitcoms) were what I was referring to. Probably should have made that clearer in my previous post.
>>
File: 300px-BWDinobot_decision[1].jpg (23KB, 300x368px) Image search: [Google]
300px-BWDinobot_decision[1].jpg
23KB, 300x368px
>>93674200
F
>>
>>93675921

>Inuyasha
>practically uncensored Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z and GT
>Witch Hunter Robin
>Death Note
>Eureka Seven (it did get a bit heavy)
>Ghost in the Shell
>Fullmetal Alchemist (it was pretty depressing)
>Gundam Seed

Bionix did show cartoons as well that seemed like mostly teenagers would enjoy.
>>
>>93675921

Are you agreeing or going "implying Sailor Moon was intense"?
>>
File: just kill me.png (355KB, 433x573px) Image search: [Google]
just kill me.png
355KB, 433x573px
>No more Phil or Paul or Snit
>No more Sugar or Pat Kelly
>No more "You Rule" or "Keep It Weird" aesthetics
>No more creative shows like Uh Oh or Freaky Stories
>No more getting up on those dimly-lit Saturday mornings to watch anime, CatDog and early Spongebob
>No more Dark Night events every October
>No more optimistic late 90s atmosphere where it seemed like things could only get better
>>
>>93676512
>>No more Phil or Paul or Snit

Funny enough I didn't get too attatched to them because I sort of hated Snit.

>>No more Sugar or Pat Kelly

These guys I got attached to.
I like Pat Kelly's alter ego with the sunglasses that actually got his own description on the website

>No more optimistic late 90s atmosphere where it seemed like things could only get better

Halloween used to be the best time on YTV.
>>
>>93676217
>Are you agreeing or going "implying Sailor Moon was intense"?
one episode you have a gag about the alley they're in being too narrow, mercury tripping over herself, and jupiter staring at her exposed panties.

then you get episodes where a turncoat villain is stabbed through the chest with a spike by another villain and his human girl accidental friend cries in grief over his evaporating body, and the improvised bloody bandage she made for his wound floats to the ground

the rest of the show of course i've completely forgotten, but it was basically the most bipolar content i ever recall watching at the time.

it was like, if Reboot constantly flipped between Season 1 writing, and Season 3 writing.
>>
>>93676512
>No more "Keep It Weird" aesthetics
4chan fills this void nicely
nothing fills this void
RIP ous collective souls 2001, 9/11
>>
>>93676639
>but it was basically the most bipolar content i ever recall watching at the time.

That's for sure. The dub making it sound like a complete goofy comedy didn't help when they still had all those intense/sad moments which were still played sage.
>>
File: 1482442585732.gif (708KB, 408x303px) Image search: [Google]
1482442585732.gif
708KB, 408x303px
>>93676512
Fuck, I miss those. I remember me and my friends would always have yearly Halloween sleepovers based around watching YTV's Dark Night and then some scary movies. Some of the host segments for those were really cool. I remember one was about Phil and Paul trying to find some party and Phil was bitten by some vampire chick he was trying to hit on. All throughout the night he would slowly start getting more and more sick as he become a vampire. Another one had a the hosts go UFO hunting and they ended up being chased by an alien through the sewers or something. It was surprisingly intense. They really put a lot of effort into their Halloween shit until parents complained they were too scary.
>>
File: 1451674334798.png (34KB, 350x420px) Image search: [Google]
1451674334798.png
34KB, 350x420px
>>93676773
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TKVaOrqiRk
>>
>>93676512
So at what point did they stop trying? Somewhere around 2005 or 2006? While they were their most creative in the mid to late 90s, they did still do some unique stuff in the early 2000s. Stuff like their Limbo block for teenagers, their horror themed Dark Corner block, and of course Bionix. They used to make their own music video shows, game shows, video game shows, and even shows covering comic books. Now it's just Spongebob and Nick sitcoms.
>>
>>93677103
Right around when Sugar left, about 2007.
>>
>>93676773
>as he become a vampire
>>
>>93674200
PJ Fresh Phil got older and had to leave
>>
>>93674985
It is weird to notice that they are all owned by the same company.
I think the only actual competition is Family Channel and its spinoffs?
>>
>>93676769
>which were still played sage
>>
>>93676160
>>Eureka Seven (it did get a bit heavy)

It's funny i have no recollection of that show ever airing on Bionix.
>>
>>93678588
>I think the only actual competition is Family Channel and its spinoffs?
Currently? Yes. Back then? They were part of the Corus family for a couple of years.
>>
Sounds like you Canadabros had it better than we in the US
>>
>>93680217
Did they get upset that bringing Disney Channel and their suite of channels over made them relatively redundant.
>>
>>93676887
I can't believe they used to have to play Buffy the Vampire Slayer late at night when it's so damn tame.
>>
>>93680227
>Great French cartoons like Tintin
>Uncucked kids cartoons like Rupert
>Kino fun live action sitcoms like Student Bodies, Radio Active and System Crash
>Quality American cartoons like the Nick stuff
>Flipping over to Teletoon and watching the WEIRD AS FUCK shit they played late at night before the channel was ruined

It was an amazing time to be alive and to be into cartoons.
>>
>>93675551
>there was some bald guy or something, he left
>sugar found some shit that was being moved around or used
>checks the security tape
>it's a janitor pretending he's the host
>they bring him in
>>
Questions for the Canucks in this thread from a curious Amerifat:

How good was YTV in the 90's?

What was it like watching cartoons in Quebec before Teletoon?
>>
>>93681405
It was pretty good. Afternoon-to-evening on weekdays was pretty much occupied by Pokemon, Monster Rancher, Digimon, Dragonball Z, Reboot, Beasties/Beast Wars plus some others. Then eventually we got more shit like Saint Seiya. Also anything that we missed out on, we could still watch on Fox Kids, like Big Guy and Rusty, Men in Black, Godzilla etc

Weirdly enough, they gave us the first three episodes of Gundam Wing as a teaser, then about a year later they broadcasted the sequel movie first and then broadcasted the rest of the tv series.
>>
>>93681405
To quote somebody from another thread a while ago who summed it up perfectly:
>In the 90s and early 2000s it used to be a really innovative network that put a lot of effort into standing out and delivering quality content. One of the cool things about them was that they created this whole atmosphere that, as a kid, made you feel hip just for watching. A lot of their program blocks would have hosts (which a couple of them still do), but they didn't feel like the upbeat hosts you'd expect on a kid's channel. They would be fucking around the entire time, poking fun of the shows, and occasionally taking sly jabs at the kids who wrote them letters.

>They also managed to have a lot of really cool and diverse blocks. They had ones aimed at boys, girls, toddlers, and teenagers. They had an anime block, a horror block, and they even showed obscure British sitcoms in the middle of the night.

>Hell, YTV even made their own comic book show 20 years ago before all this geek chic shit cool. It was a really fucking good comic book show too. They didn't just talk about Marvel and DC, they talked about all kinds of indie stuff. This was a show on a kids network that was talking about Love and Rockets and Vertigo books, and interviewing Alan Moore and Harlan Ellison.

>Then somewhere around 2006 or so, they stopped making all these cool programming blocks and unique original shows. Gone was stuff like putting experimental animated shorts between shows and celebrating New Years with 48 hours of anime. Instead we started getting more and more live action Nickelodeon shows. What original shows they were making, were cheap sitcoms that would get one or two seasons and then be put endlessly on repeat. The once coveted after school slot is now just 2 hours of Spongebob.

>>85931396
>>
>>93682103
>experimental animated shorts

that shit was trippy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipt5GHWHsw0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFiXKA7muME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYBes8ki3lo
>>
>>93677103
this >>93677179 and when vortex was replaced with crunch so basically when they got rid of all the good programming blocks and hosts in 2006.

this shit too >>93675999, all the new nick sitcoms were awful and the super late times that all the good shit still airing were on. the anime block being cancelled was pretty bad too but it was basically dead by then already

best era was early 2000's but I'm biased
>>
>>93682024
It's funny, while those shows aired on YTV, we got a Fox affiliate (the Rochester one) over in my neck of the woods and managed to watch most of those shows on that channel.
>>
>>93682103
>and they even showed obscure British sitcoms in the middle of the night.

As a kid, I dreaded seeing "Are You Being Served" in the program guide
>>
File: 1445299921681.gif (799KB, 256x319px) Image search: [Google]
1445299921681.gif
799KB, 256x319px
Any Leafbros remember this old short cartoon on Teletoon that involved a hot redhead chick who'd always get naked and inanimate objects coming to life to ogle her? It's driving me nuts that I can't remember the name of it.
>>
File: download.jpg (123KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
123KB, 1000x750px
>>93683385
Crunch was still decent When Ajay was host. He actually geeked out to the shows with the audience. Too bad he was only there for a year.
>>
>>93684272
I literally was going to mention the same thing and ask for a name to it too.
>>
File: baby blues.png (253KB, 459x272px) Image search: [Google]
baby blues.png
253KB, 459x272px
>>93675999
I remember waiting to watch the Baby Blues cartoon with my mom because we both read the comic. Holy fuck that had so many blatant sex references
>>
>>93684451
Such as?
>>
>>93682183
they were amazing, must have inspired more than a few graphic artists and programmers
>>
>>93684272
Oh shit, I forgot about that! I think it was called Lolita Lolita.
>>
>>93684272
>>93687261
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOqr_5W4m8Y
Yup, Lolita
>>
>>93684272
>>93684441
>>93687261
>Oh shit, I forgot about that! I think it was called Lolita Lolita.
Vive la France...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiNPENtD_0I
>>
>>93686085
Not him, but anything with the babysitter IIRC
>>
>>93686085
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BurZfPNBW2o
>>
>>93679484

It was my favourite anime to watch on YTV.
>>
>>93680227
Hell, once upon a time even our gun freedoms were comparable to America's.

Basically everything about this country went down the toilet.
>>
>>93680227

The US got more cartoons and more anime, but the cartoons and anime we got here were all pretty good at the time even if there weren't that many. I think it was really quality over quantity back then.

It all went downhill at 2008 I think.
>>
>>93689729
it's still pretty good in a few areas
no magazine capacity limits on .22lr and manual-action long arms for example
>>
It used to be all about cartoons and being "weird". You had a talking bubblegum, shows like Freaky Stories, game shows like Uh-Oh and a couple live action shows that didn't treat kids like absolute retards. Radio Active was actually funny.

And now you turn on the channel and can't tell it apart from the Disney Channel or Cartoon Network showing live action sitcoms 24/7.
>>
>>93691217
>it's still pretty good in a few areas
I can load four """30""" round VZ-58 magazines with a single box of ammo, it's absolute suffering
>>
Fuck. I cut cable about three years ago, so I haven't watched YTV since then. Out of curiosity I went to their site and looked at their schedule, and shit man, is it sad. It's pretty much a dumping ground for played out Nick shows and garbage cancon.
>>
>>93691744

It really doesn't have anything worth watching anymore. At least Teletoon still has cartoons that are kind of good.

>YTV Retro sort of exists on the website/youtube

Well at least they tried a little.

But Jesus Christ, there are so many crappy "literal who's" live action sitcoms that I am surprised by it.
>>
>>93680575
>using the word "cuck" unironically while pretending to be alive back when YTV was actually good.

Get the fuck out of here you literal 16 year old faggot
>>
>>93674459
This is ironic since Nickelodeon was made as a means to air Ytv stuff in the US
>>
File: 1453254898240.png (138KB, 375x288px) Image search: [Google]
1453254898240.png
138KB, 375x288px
>>93677103
Anyone else see the pattern here?

Most channels that tried to keep a certain theme or aesthetic of some kind just quit around this time and never really bothered with it much again outside of the random logos at the bottom of the screen.

All the special event stuff just died, they quit with seasonal themes, all the commercial bumps stopped...it's just a random channel that marathons the same few shows all day and night

It might as well be a basic streaming service
>>
File: room.jpg (9KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
room.jpg
9KB, 480x360px
>>93682103
>YTV even made their own comic book show 20 years ago before all this geek chic shit cool.

You're talking about Anti Gravity Room, fuck that show was amazing and it came two decades before that kind of thing was made common by youtube and streams
>>
>>93681405
>What was it like watching cartoons in Quebec before Teletoon?
we had canal famille, now known as vrak (and it's shit)

my parents used to watch anime in the 70's but i have no idea what channel they watched
>>
>>93692877
I heard that French CBC used to air a lot of anime back then.
>>
anyone else remember Futurama on YTV or am i just retarded
>>
>>93693860
I remember seeing reruns of it on YTV a few times.
>>
>>93691992
PUNISHER, CONTROL

(because you're an angry cuck)
>>
>>93693860
Yes, YTV and Teletoon got into this weird rhythm of both airing the same episode of Futurama within an hour of each other.
>>
>>93693997
the good thing about teletoon is that it would re-run Clone High and Undergrads for like 10 years

why? i don't know, but i watched both for almost a decade
>>
So /co/, how would save YTV? Is it even possible to save it in today's television landscape?

>>93691963
YTV really dropped the ball when they didn't do a YTV retro time slot when Nick did their 90s nostalgia block a few years ago. It's not like they're airing anything better at night.

>>93692199
>All the special event stuff just died, they quit with seasonal themes, all the commercial bumps stopped...it's just a random channel that marathons the same few shows all day and night
Man, too many marathons is one of the things that really pushed me away from TV. Marathons used to be reserved for holidays and shit, but now they'll be two hours of the same show, day in and day out.
>>
>>93676512
I won the first or second one I still have some of the ytv merch at my moms place holy fuck was i one happy kid so many free toys and shit

lazy bastards those contests are tax write offs too
>>
I moved to the US a while ago so I don't remember much of YTV. What happened exactly?
>>
>>93694451
At this point, I just want to go up to Corus HQ and slap all the execs there silly.
>>
>>93694610
Remember how YTV used to show a variety of programs ranging from Rupert to Dragonball Z to Beasties/Beast Wars to Teen Titans to Spider-man?

Now it's all Spongebob, Fairly Oddparents, and preteen live-action sitcoms
>>
>>93687317
Weird name considering she's not a lolita
>>
>>93674563
mad
>>
YTV threads make me sad

Remember around Y2K or something they had bugs crawling all over the screen? Like everything was glitching out. Shit had me worried as a kid
>>
>>93694451
Burn it to the ground and pour salt.
>>
>>93687319
Vive la liberté
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.