[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tips and advice on writing a comic?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

>I'm confident amateur writer who grew up on Marvel and DC and cartoons
>Friend has a lot of experience drawing and grew up on anime and manga
>Both of us decided to try and write a comic

This is just a casual project we're treating as a hobby but the more I work on it, the more questions pop up.

>What are some youtube channels/podcasts that can teach me about what goes into a good panel/panel layouts?
>What are the pros and cons of Japanese manga vs. Western comics?
>When/if we finish this, what should we do with it since we're interested in posting it online?

Summary of the plot coming in the next post
>>
>>93670233
Well, most personal comics (done by one person or a small group) that matter, and I don't mean make money by this, but end up being valued by others, virtually always start on a small personal site/blog. LFG is this way, and One Punch Man started that way.

As more substantive advice, all that I can give is the difference between comics and manga. Manga, I believe, is generally superior to comics artstyle-wise, because all manga is influenced by the first animes, which, because of cost-saving, shared certain novel production techniques. These productions techniques forced creators to focus on the motion that truly matters on a page, and on the angles and expressions that display a character's current emotions best. As such, manga generally doesn't allow the artists to get distracted so easily by superficial action, and makes the story feel better overall.

This is a very crude overview of the art difference between manga and comics, so if you want more, you'll just have to find it. Good luck.
>>
Strip Panel Naked
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYJAToPH5GSGShP7Yoc3jsA
>>
File: Lieber advice.jpg (302KB, 1366x593px) Image search: [Google]
Lieber advice.jpg
302KB, 1366x593px
Strip Panel Naked is the one comic analysis channel I watch. They get occasional artists in and interviews them about what's going on in a particular book, too.
He has said he primarily uses film analysis terms/books to review comics, but it's important not to be a slave to film standards because as Alan Moore put it: " if you only see comic books in terms of films, then eventually the best we can end up with is films that don't move."
In that vain, Every Frame a Painting and KaptainKristian are pretty good overall general ideas stuff that I like to rewatch every now and then.
>pros and cons of manga vs comics
Well, Manga are generally all black and white, lack backgrounds (or are extremely simplified), and are encouraged to last as long as possible because it's how they make money. It's all creator owned, so the manga industry has a lot more to offer in terms of genre and even execution. The problem with it being that you're essentially a slave forever creating your manga. Look up the average weekly schedules of mangaka and it is literally insane.
Comics on the other hand are being strangled by DC, Marvel, and Diamond. The market is not very healthy due to the Cape phenomenon and the Comics Code fiasco. But indie publishers can have good stuff, but it gets expensive because there are a lot of 'unnecessary' hands stirring the pot. Writers, pencilers, inkers, colorists, letterers, and editors. Unless you go indie and own your characters, all you'll ever be doing is playing with someone elses toys.
>what should we do with it
Dunno, I haven't made anything yet.

Here's the advice Steve Lieber, artist of The Fix and Superior Foes gave me when I asked him for advice one time when he came to /co/.
>>
>>93670233
My friend and I are both big fans of real life martial arts, battle shonen, and great action movies so we decided to use this comic as a way to celebrate all these things.

In the universe everyone has an energy/aura/chi that can be trained to make the body stronger/faster/more durable than normal. The goal is to find a power level that resembles feats that are feasible(if not slightly exaggerated) to do in real life, rather than super powers. Like...punching/tackling someone through a wall, getting hit by a car and walking it off, and punching a dent in a metal pole without breaking your hand.

>The premise
An ancient chinese group of villains steal people's souls to make themselves stronger. An order of monks have always fought them. 50ish years ago a monk follows a group of soul stealers to America. He meets a hotheaded boxer and beats him in a fight. After teaching the boxer about the power of energy/aura/chi they create an organization that trains fighters/athletes that also hunt the soul stealers. The story follows 4 main highschool boys

>A guy based off of a classic American bad-boy/jock/bully. The adamant hot-head that trains honestly, fights to prove he's strong, and favors aggressive striking martial arts like Muay Thai.

>A short, chubby nerd that trains to practice discipline, inner peace and self confidence. Favors more meditation/counter oriented fighting styles like Tai Chi and Judo. He's also the person that explains and points out what's happening to the audience.

>A tall, skinny weirdo that doesn't speak much. Trains because because he thinks it's just so god damn fun seeing what he can do. Favors flashy or "fake" fighting styles like Capoeira, and WWE moves.

>A guy that's a walking amalgamation of anime tropes. Too cool to train, has "amazing natural talent" thinks he's the best but also believes in the power of friendship. His increase in skill comes from power boosts.
>>
Link for Robert Mckee's Story

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1VPYJBe8bXccmI0bWxlWTJMTm8?usp=sharing
>>
>>93670233
>>I'm confident amateur writer who grew up on Marvel and DC and cartoons
If you're planning to go professional I recommend reading more books, because people whose only background reading are superhero comics are a cancer on this industry. Even Bendis likes Raymond Chandler books.
>>
>>93670233
>Tips and advice on writing a comic?

Learn to draw.
>>
Also, you should read these books.
McCloud's Understanding Comics
Moore's Writing for Comics
Eisner's Comics and Sequential Art
PAD's Writing for Comics and Graphic Novels
>>
>>93670748
Most of Bendis' early work was noir detective stuff. It is funny to track his trajectory, it's too bad he got quagmired at Marvel. It would be interesting to see what he would have come out with had he not need to write Ultimate Spider-man for as long as he did.
>>
>>93670449
>>93670569
>>93670747

Thanks for all the material to check up on

>>93670748
I also consider myself pretty well-rounded when it comes to other forms of media. I just specified the most pertinent.

>>93670754
Already on it. It's embarassing but I'm in charge of doing the first sketches of characters and panel layouts while my friend is in charge of the final products.
>>
>>93670754
It's so beautifully succinct, but so devastatingly true.
>>
>>93670806
For the artist your working with, give him this link

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8VO-JQCy3HgZ0U3QkVvVm4wREE
>>
>>93670233
All those comic youtube channels are a fucking lie. Read these books >>93670765 and do you own research (check alt comix garbage, etc). Studying some photography works too.
Also, do you really want to write capeshit? If you like it that's ok but it's probably the most boring soulless vapid job on the entire industry and it's almost impossible to break into the big leagues if you aren't a professional corporate cocksucker. Even comix shitters make more money than cape artists.
>>
>>93670927
The comic we're writing isn't capeshit. It's more o a study of martial arts and a celebration of action-anime tropes.
>>
>>93671012
Does your artist have a tumblr or deviant art page.
>>
>>93671012
That's nice, the comic industry needs more anime-inspired stuff desu.
Do you want to self-publish it?
>>
>>93671045
He mentioned it before but I never actually asked for it since he usually brings physical copies of his work.

>>93671061
It's less "self-publish" and more "share it online for free". If it goes really well maybe we can even make a patreon but that's jumping ahead a couple dozen steps.
>>
>>93671061
>the comic industry needs more anime-inspired stuff desu.
Frankly, I'm surprised more writers aren't capable of blatantly ripping off anime concepts and storylines without going full retard and pick the most poorly done entry level anime.
There's so many concepts that anime/manga have, that they usually fuck up due to how mangas are made, that would be a cinch to remedy in a western comic run.
>>93671113
Go talk to the How's Your Webcomic? thread >>93663909.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.