[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would you end a continuity?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 11

File: 1499024449450.png (86KB, 410x750px) Image search: [Google]
1499024449450.png
86KB, 410x750px
If you were in charge of writing the last story of Marvel or DC, what would it be like? What would the final page be? Would it be some month or year-spanning epic?
>>
>>93653576
Kingdom Come
>>
>>93653576
If you're ending this, it has to be big. I'd give 2 years for all of Marvel or DC to wrap up loose ends.

Personally, I thought that Earth X, and Secret Wars (2015) were great ways to end Marvel's continuity.

Marvel: Marvel is a last man standing situation. One by one, out heroes fall, or become retired.

DC: DC is a legacy situation. It shows how the heroes have helped humanity get to the point where it doesn't need them.
- Story starts with Batman's (Bruce Wayne's death. Drake becomes the new Batman, and tries to figure out what is going on.
- Hal Jordan and the other major Green Lanterns have taken over from the Guardians. Earth is of little importance to them.
- Wonder Woman has become a mother to two sons, (Ares, and Zeus) and teaches them to be loving, and only ever fight in self-defense.
-The Flashes have all become one with the Speedforce, and transport it away from Earth.
-New Gods finish their eternal battle, with Orion becoming ruler of Apocalypse, and New Genesis, but becoming trapped in his role.
-Superman sacrifices himself for the greater good, leaving Lex Luthor behind as his replacement, and mentor to his son.
-Once Superman leaves reality, all the superpowers disappear. It's up to humanity to work together to make their world a better place. The advanced technology is still around though, and Luthor uses it to make the Earth a Paradise.
>>
>>93653576
For Marvel, i really like the quote that says if you saw the far end of the universe Jack Kirby's signature would probably be there.

So i'd make it a Fantastic Four story where they go on an exposition and find it.
>>
>>93653576
What is the main conflict that drives each of these characters
What is Superman ultimately trying to do? What is WW trying to do? What is Hal trying to do? Batman's a bit easier, he's trying to clean up Gotham. I could end Batman. But until I know how to satisfyingly conclude the other characters' stories I couldn't do it.
>>
>>93653818
>all the superpowers disappear. It's up to humanity to work together to make their world a better place
That better work now that the GL aren't protecting its sector any more. Did you forget about the rest of the universe?

>all the superpowers disappear
No one tell the Legion
>>
>>93653856
>So i'd make it a Fantastic Four story where they go on an exposition and find it.
They've already met him in literally this context; they open a door in space and it's his office. He sees a terrible burn scar on Reed's face and erases then redraws it whole. Does his expected humble God speech and kicks them out of his office.

This was done maybe 10 years ago.
>>
>>93653576
In the year 6708AD, the Earth is a super-futuristic utopia. The stories of the Justice League and their enemies are taught like Greek myth in schools, and children play out stories based on the legend of the man who could outrun death itself, and the dark hero of the underworld, the Amazons. A Donut Steele commoner reflects on history's necessity for heroes in dark times to be a beacon of hope, and as the world becomes utopia those lights become no longer necessary as the sun has risen, but they remember how they guided them through the night.

A problem arises on Earth, as elsewhere, separate from the common man character musing through the streets, leaders and scientists discuss in secret how the Earth's core has become unstable. One scientist demands something be done immediately to save humanity as others maintain they have time to come up with a solution without alerting the public and causing alarm which may endanger their peace.

The comic ends with the scientist sending his son off-planet in a space pod and watching the stars above, as the world begins to crumble.
>>
>>93653818
>>93654009
You guys are saying to do some "everybody dies" or "history repeats itself" finale story where most of the current characters we know die or are killed off, but what do you think of a "the adventure continues"-style ending? When I say that I imagine something like the end of Justice League Unlimited, where there's a massive event (a crisis, even) involving tons of characters, but that ends with the world going on much as it was. You could call it unsatisfying, but I like the idea of that style of ending the most.
>>
>>93654123
>You could call it unsatisfying, but I like the idea of that style of ending the most.

Like the ending of The Dark Knight Returns, sort of?
>>
>>93654123
You mean like the ending of Teen Titans?
>>
>>93654123
I like it. Nothing ever "ends".
>>
>>93654192
A little bit. I'm pretty sure that Teen Titans wasn't actually supposed to end that way and they never got the last season that they wanted, so they're not exactly comparable.

>>93654166
Something like that
>>
>>93654009
Isn't this the ending of Red Son?
>>
File: To Be Continued.png (427KB, 524x464px) Image search: [Google]
To Be Continued.png
427KB, 524x464px
>>
>>93653818
>Tim Drake becoming Batman
>not Dick

okay enjoy Tim Drake dying within a year and Dick Grayson taking over anyway.

Tim Drake is smart as fuck, even moreso than Bruce honestly. But the dude can't fight for shit. Sure he beat Lady Shiva the supposed "greatest fighter in DC" but she's known. He can study her. What happens when he comes across the unpredictable? The dude is dead in the water at that point.

Dick is the ideal successor because Dick is and has already been a better Batman than Bruce Wayne. He's more agile, he's close to being as smart as him, and he's just as strong as Bruce. Plus he can't crack under pressure like literally everyone else in the Batfamily.
>>
>>93654633
nah, he should stay as nightwing. I get the importance of passing the cowl down but still
>>
>>93654541
That's just cruel - if we're talking about ending the whole continuity then you're just deliberately dangling some sort of sequel that won't ever come.
>>
>>93654682
The point of that scene was that stories can have ends but "stories" in the abstract never end.
>>
>>93654663
The ideal is Dick becoming Batman and Tim getting crippled and becoming his Oracle.
>>
File: batman-and-robin-will-never-die.jpg (168KB, 650x1000px) Image search: [Google]
batman-and-robin-will-never-die.jpg
168KB, 650x1000px
Pic related would be a great panel to end Batman on, use whatever Batman and Robin you'd like. Just have some random thugs be bragging that Batman and Robin are dead and bam, show this pic and credits.
>>
>>93654633
>Sure he beat Lady Shiva
>>
>>93653576
i think that the twilight of superheroes could have been a great ending for DC
>>
>>93654781
>MM betrays Earth
>Superman killed by Sodam Yat
>Superhumans dominate the world in a game of thrones like feudal setting
>Captain Marvel killed trying to get laid in a brothel

NO
>>
>>93654818
YES
>>
File: animal-man-i-can-see-you.jpg (403KB, 593x861px) Image search: [Google]
animal-man-i-can-see-you.jpg
403KB, 593x861px
The Watcher solo series where he learns that the universe is ending, not to some cosmic threat or ancient evil. It is just time for it to end, as all things do. He watches, as he does. We see superheroes doing their normal superhero things, unaware of what is going to happen. Only The Watcher knows and there is nothing anyone can do about it so he sees no need to worry everyone. We see heroes saving days, villains plotting destruction, everyone living their life. y'know, story shit, in bits and pieces. In the end, the Watcher thanks the reader for being there with him. The end.

That's it. No new big bads, those won't go over. No attempt at overly dramatic storytelling. Just "here's what we are, this is what you've been reading, it's ending, it's sad, but let's watch it end together"
>>
>>93654859
Damn, that's a good one. Maybe a little abrupt and unsatisfying, but I think it's really thematically fitting.
>>
>>93653818
Fucking timfags always have the worst ideas I swear.
>>
>>93654734
The last panel of Batman and Robin before the New 52 would be a perfect way to end Batman. Also special mentions to Epilogue.
>>
File: 1474227371350.jpg (91KB, 433x700px) Image search: [Google]
1474227371350.jpg
91KB, 433x700px
There could never be a truly satisfying ending, the only thing that it would need is it to be a happy ending. I really like to think that after all the good done by the hero's and even the common folk of both companies they deserve at least that.

The final page can be all the heroes looking at the reader saying something like " We're here to help"
>>
Marvel would be easy
>it's been ten in-comic years since the modern stuff
>the older heroes have all retired, died or turned evil, with the exception of Spider-Man
>the young heroes don't need Spider-Man's help, so he's back to working street-level crime despite being a middle-aged man
>Reed Richards, focused on SCIENCE instead of fighting crime, realizes that a mysterious alien threat is on its way to invade Earth, and tells Peter because he doesn't think the new kids can handle it
>the meat of the comic is a character-driven story about Peter Parker convincing the retired heroes to come back and save the world one last time
>in the end, the aliens arrive over a week earlier than Reed expected, and before the retired heroes can mobilize, the second generation takes charge and successfully, easily, saves the world from these aliens
>the heroes, confident that the second generation heroes are capable, return to retirement
>Peter also finally settles down
>but the Punisher is still active

DC would probably have a similiar story, but more focused on the next generation trying in vain to fill the shoes of the classic heroes. It's not hard to replace Captain America or Iron Man, but it's not so easy to find someone to fill the shoes of Superman or Batman.
>>
File: Justice League (2011-) 040-015.jpg (2MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
Justice League (2011-) 040-015.jpg
2MB, 1988x3056px
I actually wrote one once.
Mostly just dialog.

The confrontation is generally civil discussions between two grigori with crisis levels of action going on around them.
One is represented as a villain advocating for the deaths of all heroes.
The other is the hero who disagrees.
The villain tells the hero that he has foresight about what will happen if he doesn't let the heroes die and stay dead.
The hero ignores him and his warnings of the future that become more precise as time goes on.
The battles keep escalating every 20 years or so.
Scenes include
>WWII Japan
>Vietnam war
>The space race
>9/11
All with superheroes practically superimposed into the events.
The heroes all die and the hero brings them back.
The two constantly have conflicting wardrobes that represent the times they are in.
Finally they stand in-front of a closed comicbook store and there is no grand climax.
No heroes.
The villain explains that the hero himself became apathetic and why, That this is the end, all the heroes died out slowly and the hero doesn't care.
>He couldn't accept their flaws as time went on
>He couldn't accept the homogeneous aspects that come with heroes since time in memorial
>He couldn't even really replace them because he wasn't as invested in their replacements
The hero condescendingly explains that he just grew up.
The villain doesn't exactly psychologically destroy the hero with the revelation, he just makes him moderately annoyed and walks away.
>>
>>93654859
Add in the survival of someone from the 616 Universe who simply says "I hunger" on the final page and I dig it.

[spolier]my preference is Cable[/spoiler]
>>
>>93653576
Last page is Death putting the chairs on the tables, turning out the lights, and locking the universe behind her.
>>
>>93656000

Three zeroes. Ai-yai-yai.

I wanted to chide you for being so unoriginal as to literally quote Gaiman, but this symbolic trips of zeroes makes it dangerously symbolic.

I still disagree. The DC universe is endlessly reborn and developing like an ever-branching river - or maybe more like some mathematical function.

And Marvel just keeps on keeping on.

Of course, if the genre winds down, it might mean the end of capeshit altogether, like what happened with pirate comics.

First, I suppose, hyperfusion as all comic book universes gradually blend together into a mini-multiverse, until even that fails as the last fans die off.

The last story? The very last one should be hopeful. The pages get darker and darker... the second-to-last page is completely empty and completely black...
and the very last cape comic page of all is almost completely black, with a single shining star in the middle, giving of iridescent rays, and one small caption: "The end?"
>>
>>93656000

Also it should involve Destiny, the first thing in existence.
In my headcanon, Time Trapper is what Destiny becomes at the end of time. His book is gone, because there is no more future and no more stories - no more destinies. He has lost himself, and he keeps trying to create more, new stories, but they're just rehashes of things that already happened.
Until Death - now an old, bent, white-haired lady, comes, and takes him by the hand, and comforts him, finally hugging him and his robe sinks to the floor, empty.
And THEN she turns off the lights and everything.
>>
>>93653576
I'd just give everyone a happy ending, with a possible tint of "The Adventure Continues", and leave this universe in favor of the new rebooted one. Maybe with some crossovers later down the line.

Which is exactly what I think should have happened with New Earth before New-52, instead of transforming it directly into the new reality like Flashpoint did.
>>
>>93653576
DC One Million
>>
>>93653576
Final Crisis, down to the last page of Uotan waking up.
>>
File: 1.jpg (427KB, 1041x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
427KB, 1041x1600px
Something like this.
1/4
>>
File: 2.jpg (535KB, 1041x1600px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
535KB, 1041x1600px
>>93657054
2/4
>>
File: 3.jpg (472KB, 1041x1600px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
472KB, 1041x1600px
>>93657062
3/4
>>
File: 4.jpg (233KB, 1041x1600px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
233KB, 1041x1600px
>>93657070
4/4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3yCcXgbKrE
>>
>>93654732
>Tim getting crippled and becoming his Oracle
This is too cruel and funny.

I feel bad for laughing so much at this.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.