[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was your biggest problem with the ending?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 180
Thread images: 22

File: SJending.jpg (87KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
SJending.jpg
87KB, 1280x720px
What was your biggest problem with the ending?
>>
>>93647416
That it exists.
>>
>>93647416
the ending itself.
>>
>>93647416
HER LAST LINE WAS FUCKING EXPOSITION

The pivotal 'heartbreak' moment of the entire season and the last line is fucking EXPOSITION

HOW DO YOU DO THAT!?
>>
>>93647416
it seemed empty like something was missing
>>
>>93647416
There was an ending.

Samurai Jack is a show about the journey, not the destination.
>>
>>93647416
The pacing.
>>
>>93647416
Nothing. I liked it.
>>
>>93647416
We spent an entire season focused on Jack overcoming his depression about not being able to get to The Past, forgiving himself for not being able to save his family, seeing all the lives he's changed for the better, and basically being fed giant, blatant message about hope for saving The Future.

... then apparently decide "fuck that", went to the past, and erased the entire future, thus completely undermining the entire emotional and narrative through lines of the season.

Jack should have stayed in The Future.
>>
>>93647416
I was hoping Jack would at least kill future Aku before getting back to the past
>>
File: jackandashiwithkid.jpg (546KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
jackandashiwithkid.jpg
546KB, 1280x1280px
The fact that the final conclusion for Ashi's life of misery and torture was to get her hopes and dreams up JUST enough and then wipe her from existence on her wedding day as punishment for saving the world.
It was needlessly cruel to a character who narratively did NOTHING wrong and deserved some meaningful payoff after the hardships she endured.
>>
>>93647416
for all intents and purposes, it was a 'all just a dream' ending. not a single thing that happened in the future counted for anything
>>
>>93647559
>>93647666
Basically this - the first half of the finale was fucking awesome, but everything after the halfway point was basically a giant middle finger to both the characters and the audience.
>>
>>93647416
Rushed.
>>
Gurren Lagann did it better.
Also, she didn't even give a good final word to him.
>>
>>93647559
Going back to the past would have been justified if they had at least given us some kind of epilogue showing that the future was, indeed, a better place and that Jack and Ashi's sacrifices hadn't all been to replace one shitty future with a slightly less shitty one. It didn't need to be anything lengthy - hell a shot of something like the Jack statue from the archer's village in the middle of a peaceful looking future city would have been enough... just something to confirm within the narrative that everything they did was for the best.
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/13257849/
>>
>>93647739
We didn't need that because that was never the case. Jack was always seeking to(and ended up succeeding in his goal to) undo the future that is Aku and return to the past.
>>
Nothing. It perfect.

>>93647499
All journey need to come to an end someday.
>>
>>93647416
there was a literal anime reference used for the final emotional scene in the whole show. Also >>93647462
this
>>
>>93647739
Except that wouldn't work, with Jack ending Aku "in the past" and the reverberations of that working into the future, there would be no Jack statues or anything else since they would have never met him.
>>
>>93647884
>ending literally retcons the journey
Fuck that
>>
>>93647416
My headcanon didn't come true
>>
>>93647900
That's not at all what retcon means.
>>
>>93647900
Whether or not he remember doesn't matter. What matter is that he pretty much prevent a shit tons of suffering if he haven't intervene.
>>
>>93647862
And yet the running theme of the show has been Jack constantly putting that goal aside for the sake of doing good in The Future - he gives up wishes, time portals, and all manner of other methods for getting back, back to The Past to help others. And this season, moreso than those before, made a huge deal out of stressing how Jack has changed The Future for the better and how important it was for Jack to accept what happened in The Past and move on and for all intents and purposes that's exactly what we see Jack do after saving and being saved by Ashi prior to the finale.

Then in the 11th Hour they pulled a time portal out of their ass, undid The Future that is Aku, and in doing so completely invalidating everything Jack did the last 50+ years he spent in The Future.
>>
>>93647900
>>93647953
>Now, the fool seeks to return to the past and undo the future that is Aku.

>Gotta get back, back to the past, Samurai Jack!

>Watch out!

>Gotta get back, back to the past, Samurai Jack!

>Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack!

>I too desire to find my home. You see, in days long past, where rockets and robots were nowhere near creation, a young warrior forged into battle with Aku. At the point where victory was eminent, Aku tricked the warrior and flung him from his own time to a distant time in the future. To reclaim his homeland and undo the evil of Aku, the warrior has to find some sort of time passage home. Such a magic is difficult to find.

> Aku! l will never give up! l will return to the past and destroy you!

>Never! I must return to the past!
>>
>>93647937
In canon, since Aku died in the past, nothing that remotely involved him in the future could have occured. Thus, with the exception of the episodes set in the past, none of the events depicted in seasons 1-4 could have happened.
>>
>>93647416
Twofold: Aku's last words were "You're back already?!" and they literally did a "Wait, you can control time? Cool!" ex machina thing
>>
>>93647416
Ashi's retarded death scene and the fact that so many people actually got sad about it.
>>
>>93648029
>Dozens of episodes where Jack sacrifices a chance to go back to the past to do something good in the future.
>BUT THE INTRO SAYS GOTTA GET BACK TO THE PAST!!!
You're an idiot.
>>
>>93648029
Yes that was the initial plot device/catchy theme song to get the ball rolling on a nonlinear episodic series that was originally not supposed to have an ending.
That does not make it the right way to actually conclude a story where 99% of the characters and adventures that people enjoyed reside in the present.
>>
File: IMG_0228.jpg (31KB, 345x321px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0228.jpg
31KB, 345x321px
People won't stop fucking complaining about it.
>>
>ashi you have akus power
>oh i do AAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGG
>>
>>93648091
Then how come Ashi didn't immediately disappear?
>>
>>93648029
every fucking piece of media out there is about the main character learning through his surrounding and growing as a person and maybe learn that there are other goals in life worth pursuing.
>>
>>93648188
Same reason Jack didn't despite the portal responsible for his return being undone from having ever existed.
Genndy cared more about psyching people out and avoiding a traditional happy ending than having it make sense, but didn't have the balls to kill off future!Jack because he knew people would riot even if it fit logically.
>>
>>93648151
>Dozens of episodes where Jack sacrifices a chance to go back to the past to do something good in the future.
Who says Jack(in-universe) knows that going back to the past erases the future?

>BUT THE INTRO SAYS GOTTA GET BACK TO THE PAST!!!
And Jack says it multiple times in the show.

>You're an idiot.
I don't see how the show plainly laying out the goal and me explaining it to you makes me an "idiot".

>>93648154
>Yes that was the initial plot device/catchy theme song to get the ball rolling on a nonlinear episodic series that was originally not supposed to have an ending.
*that Genndy decided to not give an ending around the time of Season 4 because they had to move into Clone Wars and didn't have the time

>That does not make it the right way to actually conclude a story where 99% of the characters and adventures that people enjoyed reside in the present.
It absolutely does and was. The show spelled the goal out, and the goal was completed.

>>93648191
But the show spells it out to you clear as fucking day that Jack wants to get back to the past and undo the future that is Aku. Jack wants to get home to his friends and family in the past. That is always his goal.

And even in Season 5 when he thinks there's no possible way to return now he still is thinking about the past and laments that it is just a memory now.
>>
>>93647416
>the ending
Bitch, I have problems with anything past episode 3, there's literally no reason for Jack to not finish his job and kill Ashi.
>>
>>93648283
whatever you fucking autist, latch onto the fucking intro as much as you want, the ending is still an unsatisfying piece of shit
>>
>>93647416
Ashi as a character, while good waifu/fapbait, completely distracted from the story as a whole, and of course this lent to her being the biggest problem with the ending. Jack getting captured because of Ashi, Jack spending an inordinate amount of time trying to save Ashi, Ashi being a time portal, Ashi "tragically" disappearing long after she should have in the most emotionally manipulative fashion possible. You have to remind yourself what the show was about because at a certain point nothing happens without Ashi, a character who stops being interesting almost immediately after becoming an ally.
>>
>>93648188
It takes time for the reverberations of "the past" to make their way to "the future"

>>93647953
Because Jack is a hero. He can't pursue his desires when it will put others in harm's way. However, by doing exactly that he came to believe he had forgotten his purpose since he had not traveled back in time and undone the evil that is Aku. He became hopeless about ever being able to fix things and that's where we find him at the beginning of season 5. However, over the course of the season he learns that he is hope, despite the difficulties he endures, his presence brings hope to others and that as long as he's around there is always hope. In the end this belief is shown to hold true as he is finally able to return to the past and undo the evil that is Aku.

As an aside, people seem to forget that Ashi is the one who created the time portal and pulled Jack in, Jack never told her to do it. Jack was committed to fighting the fight until he could no longer do so. Ashi found a way for him to finish it.
>>
>>93648283
>The show spelled the goal out, and the goal was completed.
so chinatown is a shitty movie because the main character doesn't complete his goal of stopping the villain.
Pokemon is a garbage show because Ash still hasn't caught every single pokemon.
The last crusade is shit because Indy just leaves the holy grail behind
Monty python and the holy grail suffers as a film because the titular grail doesn't even make a physical appearence in the entire movie
>>
>>93647688
>tfw you're so neck deep in memes that "for all intents and purposes" looks wrong to you
>>
>>93647688
Thanks for adding a new reason to my list.
>>
>>93647558
This. Jacks strong for the rest of us that can't be ,when faced with a person who has passed. y'all will never understand.
>>
>>93648380
>It takes time for the reverberations of "the past" to make their way to "the future"
So why is Jack still in the past? Ashi was literally the ONLY reason Jack was sent back, and she never existed.
>>
>>93648325
I fail to see how explaining to you that the show spelled its ending out and went with that ending makes me an autist.

If anything, you're the autist for whining like a baby because Jack didn't stay in the future with Ashi and Scotsman even though that future is where Earth is ruined, Jack's homeland is an abandoned ruin, countless billions have died or been enslaved, etc.

>>93648382
No.

Those are all great because they were well written and chose their path.

Samurai Jack is great because it had good writing and chose to not take the cliche "the hero doesn't complete the goal becuz reasons" route.
>>
>>93648427
>Jacks strong for the rest of us that can't be ,when faced with a person who has passed
His entire quest is a manifestation of his inability to move on from the past
>>
>>93648438
Because as far as time is concerned, Jack is back where he should be. It's why he didn't age in the future, he existed where he shouldn't have
>>
>>93648325
Not him, but the fucker has a point. Jack erasing the future shouldn't be a problem. Not having expected it as a potential ending is retarded on many levels.
But that doesn't mean Aishi suddenly screaming out of nowhere (because she just got control and suddenly knows every aspect of her new abilities?) to send the two into the past only to get erased with some final words of exposition was good. It was shit.
>>
>>93648438
Most likely some combination of no Aku = no destruction of time portals + Jack is from "the past" -> time doesn't care if Jack is in the past since one way or another he'd end up there.
>>
>>93648494
Total headcanon.
>>
>>93648467
It wasn't ruined, Jack helped to give many humans and alien species a better life on earth
but that doesn't count if it comes to muh precious ancient japan, huh
the ending just makes Jack look like a xenophobic piece of shit
>>
>>93648522
If he went back via time portal in the aku-free future, then why is he so bummed out at the end? He killed aku and saved his parents and didn't lose anything.
>>
It was rushed and poorly written, like most of the rest of Season 5.
>>
>>93648541
Then explain why Jack does not age in the future.
>>
>>93648467
>Samurai Jack is great because it had good writing
regardless of if you liked the ending, season 5 objectively did not have good writing.
I am the biggest Jashifag out there and I thought episode 8 was fucking dumb, as much as I adored every second of it.
>>
>>93648183
>DUDE WITHOUT AKU I NEVER EXISTED LMAO
>>
>>93648467
>Samurai Jack is great because it had good writing and chose to not take the cliche "the hero doesn't complete the goal becuz reasons" route.
That's a gross simplification. There are actual, compelling reasons for Jack not to return to the past and instead improve the future. That doesn't mean that returning to the past can't be compelling, but the way it was done is probably the least compelling way they could have done it.
>>
File: Jack timeline explained.png (23KB, 1736x816px) Image search: [Google]
Jack timeline explained.png
23KB, 1736x816px
>>
>>93648647
I don't know but I'm not about to just make shit up to explain it.
>>
>>93648647
>"the initial time travel has affected the aging process"
That is the only "canon" explanation we are given, any further interpretation is headcanon. It is not enough information to claim that the cause is Jack being in the wrong time, or if time travelling in the first place has a permanent effect, or if Akus continued presence causes it(due to his initial creation of the time portal)
>>
>>93648673
>There are actual, compelling reasons for Jack not to return to the past and instead improve the future.
And there are far more compelling and obvious reasons spelled out plainly for Jack to go back to the past.

>but the way it was done is probably the least compelling way they could have done it.
That's your opinion, but it's wrong.
>>
>>93648667
>regardless of if you liked the ending, season 5 objectively did not have good writing.
It's writing was no worse than Seasons 1-4, which were all decent to great.

>I am the biggest Jashifag out there and I thought episode 8 was fucking dumb, as much as I adored every second of it.
The writing was fine there though.
>>
>>93648752
>nuuuuh my opinion is superior
knock it off
>>
>>93648798
Nah, not until you stop whining that the show went with the ending that was spelled out very obviously since the beginning and throughout the show itself.
>>
>>93648752
The most compelling reason you've given is "the theme song says he should". It's not even touched on that returning to the past might not be the right thing to do. He's deadset on returning to the past "becuz". Fact: Jack spent more time in the future than the past and likely had more friends in the future as well. He even got a gf there. They are all beyond dead. Like, not even can they meet in the afterlife. This should have been a concern long before Ashi's delayed disappearance, and then I might even agree with you. As it is there was no dilemma over going to the past, while there would be an inherent dilemma in changing your mission's course. As such, that would have been more compelling.
>>
I think the actual final scene for the show was fantastic.
That song was breath taking.
>>
>>93647416
The fans.
>>
>>93648780
The writing was worse because events are now meant to have lasting consequences due to the single linear story arc.
For example, the ending of "jump good" has Jack learning to jump superhuman distances(which is the best counter to Aku's flying strategy) and about to slice aku's head off. That fight and skill are never again brought up and that is fine because the show is monster of the week and each episode is self contained.
However, season 5 now reintroduces the people who taught Jack said skill(and come to his rescue to repay his actions in that episode), thus confirming that Jack did indeed meet them and learn to jump good, and making dire situations (like when jack tries to attack aku before he possesses Ashi) completely nonsensical because Jack has a superhuman skill that he just doesn't use for no apparent reason.
>>
>>93648849
>ending is good because it's how the story told you it would end from the very beginning
I think we've unlocked the secret to telling good stories here. No one will tell a bad story ever again!
>>
File: anonsbait.jpg (39KB, 500x294px) Image search: [Google]
anonsbait.jpg
39KB, 500x294px
>>93648029
>the intro that was canonized as a propaganda piece in the finale is absolute and cannot be subverted
>>
>>93648849
I think everyone would have been fine with the fact it went with the obvious, intended route if it didn't suck horribly in execution. (That's a fact, you know.) Especially when it ripped off an anime in a worse way. But you keep arguing it was perfect, you shill.

>>93648912
So it's automatically better to let Aku have reigned as long as he did? You're honestly saying Jack's sole experience through the future was better than stopping the age that the demon from space created, instead of the intended route mankind could take for itself? Because that's a pretty reasonable thing to go back to the past for, beyond, you know, saving his own nation and parents.

>>93648962
I swore there were many, many cases of Jack being able to jump to incredibly unreasonable heights throughout the show, even if he never mentioned the words, "jump good." But I may be making shit up with this one.
>>
It wasn't just the ending, it was almost the entire thing. They shoved in more shit than they should have when they were only given ten episodes, the focus was taken away from Jack and given to a new character, everything was rushed, the time travel rules were inconsistent, and the final battle was resolved so quickly and terribly. The ending was just diarrhea icing on the vomit cake, trying to make me feel sad but failing because they didn't have a meaningful foundation.

First few episodes were good though.
>>
>>93647416
It just wasn't long enough. The entire last episode just felt so rushed. I'm alright with the ending the way it happened but it needed to be an hour long special. Samurai Jack deserves nothing less.
>>
It makes the entire last season pointless.
Just have him jump in a portal and do othe thing.
There's no point in Ashi. There's no point in getting rid of the portals. There's no point in the 50 year time skip or Jack learning to let go of his guilt for failing. None of that shit actually matters because he gets handed a solution that means he never needed that character growth.
We should've just gotten a 90 minute movie rather than a cliche storm that rips off Gurren Lagaan and only appeals to literal minded fags that just go "THE THEME SONG SAYS"
>>
>>93648912
>It's not even touched on that returning to the past might not be the right thing to do. He's deadset on returning to the past "becuz". Fact: Jack spent more time in the future than the past and likely had more friends in the future as well. He even got a gf there. They are all beyond dead. Like, not even can they meet in the afterlife. This should have been a concern long before Ashi's delayed disappearance, and then I might even agree with you. As it is there was no dilemma over going to the past, while there would be an inherent dilemma in changing your mission's course.
You're literally saying that "the real treasure is the friends he made along the way"
>>
File: 1480456923136.gif (341KB, 213x199px) Image search: [Google]
1480456923136.gif
341KB, 213x199px
>>93647416
i didn't feel anything from it for me it just ended no build up to anything no good final fight between jack and aku no him and his friends being happy over beating the big bad just him sad about a her and i dint give a shit if he got with her or not for me it was a just nothing
>>
>>93649095
That is exactly what is being implied, because that is the fucking point of a quest when used in storytelling.
>>
>>93649095
I think it's more that if you take the series as a whole we spend maybe 30-40 minutes total being shown why the past is so great and Jack is nostalgic for it, but the entire rest of the series is "here's a bunch of awesome future shit and cool future people that are fighting the good fight and Jack is befriending and defending."
If the real treasure is the past then you need to show it shining.
>>
>>93649138
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WorthlessTreasureTwist
>>
>>93649148
I can link tvtropes too.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ItsTheJourneyThatCounts
>>
>>93649057
>So it's automatically better to let Aku have reigned as long as he did? You're honestly saying Jack's sole experience through the future was better than stopping the age that the demon from space created, instead of the intended route mankind could take for itself? Because that's a pretty reasonable thing to go back to the past for, beyond, you know, saving his own nation and parents.
Yeah, the whole point of Punished Jack was "what happened in the past can't be changed, find the strength to go forward".
If you get to Ctrl+Z it, then there's no point in the 50 year depression. Cut it out of the story.
>>
>>93649148
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TropesAreNotBad
>>
File: 1463075032252.jpg (83KB, 590x400px) Image search: [Google]
1463075032252.jpg
83KB, 590x400px
I liked the whole damn thing you people are butt hurt because you wanted your version of fan fiction to be real.

GET BENT!
>>
>>93647416
I couldn't protect his smile.
>>
>>93649057
>So it's automatically better to let Aku have reigned as long as he did? You're honestly saying Jack's sole experience through the future was better than stopping the age that the demon from space created, instead of the intended route mankind could take for itself? Because that's a pretty reasonable thing to go back to the past for, beyond, you know, saving his own nation and parents.
everyone who died under aku is chilling in one of the many canon "heavens", yes it is better to have that outcome over denying afterlife to trillions by undoing their very existences
>>
>>93647416
If she didn't exist then how did Jack go back in time?
>>
>>93649226
You do realize that due to the ending, if someone considers the events of seasons 1-4 to have happened, that is literally now headcanon.
>>
>>93649269
You're actually fucking retarded, aren't you?
>>
>>93649280
see>>93648091
>>
>>93649057
>So it's automatically better to let Aku have reigned as long as he did? You're honestly saying Jack's sole experience through the future was better than stopping the age that the demon from space created, instead of the intended route mankind could take for itself?
I didn't say any of that dude, but it didn't even come up as a concern. The people he met in the future were real people whose lives were actually improving because of his presence. With Aku dead the world could set its own course once again. There's no inherent value in the people of the past vs. the future, but as it is the people of the future never had a chance. So the dilemma would be if it's worth sacrificing the people who are here, who exist and would have a brighter future now, to erase the events that led to their existence. All the people Aku's killed in the interim wouldn't have shit to say about it either way. No matter what Jack ultimately chose, having this weigh on his mind while making the decision would have made either outcome more compelling.

>>93649095
Friends and good hardworking people who are just as valuable as the people from his own time, yes.
>>
>>93649351
Know what? My bad then. If he actually got to make the decision, it really would have improved everything. But instead, we got >>93648183

>>93649244
Eh, objective over subjective.
>>
THE ENTIRE FUCKING PLOT OF THE SHOW THE ENTIRE CONCEPT WAS TO GO BACK TO THE FUCKING PAST
HOW DID YOU NOT UNDERSTAND THIS
>>
>>93649226
You think that because you're a shit-eating sheep.
>>
File: 1473813915629.jpg (49KB, 325x355px) Image search: [Google]
1473813915629.jpg
49KB, 325x355px
>>93649312
>>93649269
Was that a quote from Genndy if not than that is someones GOD DAMN OPINION and will be discarded, I've dealt with enough games and books dealing with fucking time travel dimension hopping different realities to take it with a grain of salt.
>>
>>93649484
>"without aku I would have never existed"
>disappears with nothing to contradict the implication that the same fate occurs to everything else from the Aku future
>>
>>93649420
Why is it so hard to understand that just following the obvious plot isn't enough to make something good? It's not the fact that Jack went to the past, it's that the way they did it simply wasn't interesting
>>
File: 1497063822568.png (462KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1497063822568.png
462KB, 1200x1200px
Join the discord!

https://discord.gg/rfDZy9b
>>
>>93649420
Because when you're not a literal minded autistic you can look beyond the theme song for narrative depth.
>>
>>93649601
Why even post an Ashi discord in a thread where most talk of Ashi is negative?
>>
>>93649616
To be fair, season 5 threw all symbolism/metaphors out the window and made every single fucking thing literal.
>>
>>93649645
Meant to add "at the end of the season"
>>
File: 1497063304351.jpg (155KB, 341x2338px) Image search: [Google]
1497063304351.jpg
155KB, 341x2338px
>>93649627
Some of us are postive about her
>>
>>93649695
I'm positive I hate her.

But not really. She's a qt but she killed the show.
>>
>>93649695
And my bet is the people defending her in this thread (like me) already joined the discord(like me)
>>
>>93649729
Genndy killed the show, he just chose to use Ashi as his weapon.
It's parallel to Aku using her to try and kill Jack, thus I don't fault her as a character for it.
>>
>>93647416
It didn't show much aftermath like Older Jack or the far future in general without Aku
>>
>>93649756
It's funny because the only epilogue/aftermath that was present was used to needlessly kill off the other main character after the journey concluded
>>
>>93649755
>"Long ago in a distant land, I, Genndy, the animating Master of Choking, unleashed an UNWATCHABLE SEASON!!"
>>
>>93649831
Think of Ashi as a direct parallel to the season
>starts out overly edgy and grim
>begins to lighten up and become more hopeful/cheerful in attitude
>fully embraces hope for the future and love as core concepts
>Her creator(both in and out of universe) then forces Ashi to kill Samurai Jack(the show and the character)
>>
>>93649938
Ashi never had a chance to be anything but a tool.
>>
>>93649529
Time stream fixing itself big whoop, the whole plot was getting back to the past.

Was this goals met? YEP sooooooooooooooo shut your fucking mouth faggot.
>>
>>93647416
One of my biggest complaints is that Aku's death wasn't properly explained. What made sealing him inside the sword and expelling him again any different from the first time Jack did it? Or when his dad did it for that matter? I keep trying to rationalize it as "He was already weakened" but that feels like a flimsy explanation.
>>
>>93647416
Too rushed. Left quite a few things hanging that I wish we got a better sense of closure.
>>
File: Genndypunishesus.png (138KB, 1233x520px) Image search: [Google]
Genndypunishesus.png
138KB, 1233x520px
>>93650010
That's a big part of why I'm pissed she died, we witnessed her entire relevant life from birth to "death", leaving zero room for expansion and more characterization.
It's doubly sad because she is quite literally the only character(and her sisters) in the entire show who that applies to. Every single other character has unaccounted for time/adventures that can be expanded upon via spinoffs/comics.

Ashi's ending just feels like a waste of an interesting and likable character, and I'm still really pissed at Genndy about it.
>>
>>93650042
Yep, doesn't matter how many people have to die. If the theme song says it, the hero HAS to do it. That's just good writing.
>>
>>93650042
>as long as a theme song is conformed to, the ending is fine
Sucks that you can't think about concepts in a non-literal fashion.
>>
>>93650044
Honestly how anyone can defend the ending despite the endless inconsistencies is beyond me
>>
Rushed as fuck and Ashi became the asspull of the century, Jack, Aku and pretty much everyone deserved better.

It really wasn't even that hard, Jack goes to the past, beats Aku and goes to his family, that's it. How the fuck do you even fuck that up, they even ripped off TTGL on the process, holy fucking shit Genndy, stick to art related work, your writing fucking sucks.
>>
File: 1478662675748.png (194KB, 472x304px) Image search: [Google]
1478662675748.png
194KB, 472x304px
>>93650102
I'm so glad Ashifags got BTFO, those retards liked a character that was bad from episode 4 and onwards, why people like her is beyond me.
>>
File: 1492104587554.png (227KB, 981x513px) Image search: [Google]
1492104587554.png
227KB, 981x513px
>>93649057

Fucking this. There are MULTIPLE pieces of media where characters go back in time to prevent events that are actualy not as bad as this.

How the fags can defend billions suffering in the reigns of a demon is ridiculous. Even more on a show with a well stabilised and defined line of good and evil.

Hell, there are people who seems to force themselves to believe that the new future somehow is close to he as bad as Aku's future, when going by the tone of the show and Genndy's previous works, it is probably an utopia.
>>
>>93651431
The sole reason people are pissed that he went back is that it wiped out everyones favorite characters.
Other media where a timeline is drastically changed don't usually deny every existing likeable character the chance at a canon afterlife.
>>
File: CII.jpg (848KB, 1553x3831px) Image search: [Google]
CII.jpg
848KB, 1553x3831px
>>93647416
>>
>>93647416
Its the power of love
>>
File: logo.png (32KB, 420x240px) Image search: [Google]
logo.png
32KB, 420x240px
>>93651635
>ignoring that 99% of every time travel plot has the characters still born on the new timeline despite anything
>ignoring that this is even more prevalent in cartoons, and in shows with "prevent bad future" plot
>>
>>93651842
Cringe as fuck, these people need to move on already.
>>
File: 1415382072679.jpg (33KB, 661x451px) Image search: [Google]
1415382072679.jpg
33KB, 661x451px
>>93650164
They were all going to die eventually it is what all things end up at. They knew he needed to go back to the past!

A world maybe a universe ruined by Aku and you want jack not to fix it by staying in the fucking future!? Even if Aku was defeated in the future nothing can be truly fixed so many lives wasted a planet probably only surviving by stealing other resources just to hang on.
>>
>>93651635
>The sole reason people are pissed that he went back is that it wiped out everyones favorite characters.
DO YOU have proof from the SHOW that this is what happened to all these characters and they instead got better lives without know how bad they might have had it if jack didn't kill Aku.
>>
>>93651866
I can assume that to happen unless the show specifically brings up that it doesn't happen in regards to the only character from the future that we see
>>
>>93652032
Are you that one waifufag obsessed with Ashi the thinks that she could exist in the future independent of Aku, disregarding that he is literally her dad?

Also going from "I don't know what happened"to "everybody is erased :(" is a big jump of you really has no proof for either.
>>
>>93647416
1. Pacing
2. No final battle with future Aku
3. Never got to see what happened to past Jack after being thrown into the Aku-less future.
4. Cheesy wedding scene/ anime reference.
5. Ashi's last words.
6. Jack's parents lookingnormal rather than how they did in the first ep.
7. Ashi not disappearing right after Aku dies.
8. Ashi's portal that she made should not exist.
9. Jack doesn't say goodbye to the Scotsman.
10."A-ASHI I-I WUV U!!!" "OMG I HAVE AKU'S POWERS LOL"

Not in any particular order except 1.
>>
>>93652085
It's as likely as anyone else existing if you're being realistic
>>
>>93647462
Redundant exposition too
>>
>>93651969
It didn't erase fan favorites, it essentially retconned THE ENTIRE SERIES. That is quite possibly the biggest kick to the balls. It's bad enough to retcon a plot point if you've written yourself into a corner but to retcon 13 YEARS worth of story and lore is just inconceivable. This completely puts issues like pacing and lack of character development out the fucking window. This has gone from shit tier writing to a level so low that it is purely theoretical.
>>
>>93652085
If simply "liking a female character" makes you a waifufag, then by that logic if you like Jack that makes you a fujoshit
>>
>>93647416
Nothing, really.
It was everything I wanted in a Samurai Jack final.
He went back in time, defeated Aku..........................that's it, that's all I wanted to see.
>>
>>93647416
Everything after episode 3
>>
>>93652246
You paused anon. Something about the finale doesn't sit well with you so spit it out
>>
>>93649269
>>93649312
lol shut up retard
>>
>>93647416

NOT ENOUGH TEARS!!!!
>>
>>93652214
Does Genndy truly hate that people like his work?
>>
>>93652214
Nigga...do you spend like this on any show/movie/comic that has time travel as a pivotal element?

Considering that most characters just showed up in one episode, maybe one another, how does this makes such a big difference if the only thing that unites it is that they are part of Jack's journey and he still remember all of them, and only managed to reach his goal because of them? Honestly, you just sound like a sperg.
>>
>>93652347
I seriously think Genndy hated the series and wanted to end it in a way that would discourage any prequel or sequel. But there's one fatal flaw: Genndy never thought someone would get the resolve and determination to script an elseworld spinoff series set in a 1920's atmosphere.
>>
>>93652400
Most plots involving time travel stick to the grandfather paradox and for good reason. I recommend A Sound of Thunder as a reference to my point.
>>
File: C_wrMBiXoAEsl3U.jpg (21KB, 600x471px) Image search: [Google]
C_wrMBiXoAEsl3U.jpg
21KB, 600x471px
>>93647416
Did anyone else think Jack was going into those woods at the end to commit sudoku?
I mean that would have been an amazing and jarring way to end the series.
>>
>>93652472
>Most plots involving time travel stick to the grandfather

Not really.
>>
We'll just have to wait for the extended and better ending in the BR/DVD release
>>
>>93652485
Jarring? yes. Amazing? Fuck off edgelord
>>
>>93652532
There won't be one
>>
>do you spend like this on any show/movie/comic that has time travel as a pivotal element?
Samurai Jack's story never had time travel as a pivotal element. Time travel to the future was used exactly once and for 4 seasons(and 9/10ths of one) there was not a single character who time traveled backwards or forwards, and there was not a single reference to ANYONE ever traveling backwards.

Doctor Who for example, is a show that has time travel as a pivotal element, because time travel is utilized in every single episode.

Samurai Jack utilized it once as a plot device simply to place a character in a setting we don't usually see that type in. While it's true that he was trying to find a way back the rest of the series, the action of time traveling never again occurred until the finale, and since "rules" for it had not been previously established(since they likely weren't planning on needing them), it completely falls apart in its usage and feels out of place.
>>
>>93652657
meant to reply to>>93652400
>>
>>93652657
piv·ot·al
ˈpivədl/Submit
adjective
of crucial importance in relation to the development or success of something else.
"the alliance that played a pivotal role in the revolution"

I'd say time travel is pivotal to the story because otherwise we wouldn't have a show
>>
>>93652713
How many episodes had the ACTION of backwards time traveling(not ATTEMPTED, but completed) as crucial to the development of events in the episode.
>>
>>93647416
Jack didn't get to rip off Ashi's wedding dress and fuck her with the force of a warrior who's just defeated the greatest threat in the known universe.
>>
>>93652796
I'd say the same except reversing the roles.
That girl deserved at least that.
>>
>>93652819
They both did.
>>
>>93652819
I don't imagine it as a one sided thing.
Ashi could pin Jack down and ride him like a dirt bike on a rough country road.
But in the end she willingly submits and lets herself break under the merciless pounding of the Jackhammer.
>>
File: 1493417664323.png (838KB, 2048x1133px) Image search: [Google]
1493417664323.png
838KB, 2048x1133px
>>93652985
>tfw that samurai dicc be E X T R A T H I C C
>>
>>93652968
I don't disagree, but I feel worse for Ashi because even before she got wiped from time, she got shat on her entire life.
Jack at least had 20 years of happiness before being sent to the future
>>
>>93651352
Anti-Ashi/muh episodes 1-3 fags are way worse than Ashifags.
>>
>>93653036
>calling 20 years of nonstop training happiness

Ok bud.
>>
>>93653063
>8 years of blissful childhood
>12 years of exploring the world and training with people who treated him like family
>>
>>93653046
What if everything after 3 was Jack's soul in denial and the end accepting hes dead and he reunites with Ashi in the afterlife?
>>
>>93653046
No we aren't, you are eating shit and liking it, good for you, but don't try to be elitist over doing it.
>>
>>93653099
That's fucking dumb because they didn't have a relationship as of episode 3.
The reason their love was so pure and strong is because of their experiences together, his unending commitment to show her the truth of the world, and her returning the favor by giving him support and care that he went 50 years without.
This being exemplified by their similar upbringings and love of nature.
>>
>>93653137
>everything we hate os shit and so are you

Yup this is cancer.
>>
>>93653137
I think you are confusing us with people who defend the ending.
>>
>>93653150
>I can't excuse this shitty character that ruined the season so I'm just going to exaggerate your behaviour and a cool kid finisher to dismiss criticism
>>93653154
Not really, Ashifags were waifufagging as soon as she was introduced, the ending was shit but it at least had Jack go back to the past, although after episodes 4-8 I don't know why would anyone be optimistic about the ending, halfway through and forward it was a rushed mess with bad writing and too much focus on Ashi to the point where all of Jack's problems and arcs were magically resolved with plot devices or muh glowing eyes of rightfulness, stupid.
>>
>>93653259
>liking a female character automatically makes someone a waifufag
>>
>>93653259
Take it easy Stan, your cynicism is starting to make you incoherent and spew shit from you're mouth.
>>
>>93653320
>Ashi appretiation threads are not waifufag generals! I swear!
>>93653321
No need to be mad, it's ok to like bad things, anon.
>>
>>93653361
Well that would account for your tastes anon.
>>
>>93653361
Go on anon, amaze and astound us with you patrician taste
>>
>>93653361
I mean sure there are plenty of Ashifags who are also just waifufags.
For me though(and a surprising amount of others) she was simply my favorite character this season(and didn't become that until after episode 4).
>She had an extensive and evolving character arc that I really enjoyed(albeit with the shittiest payoff imaginable)
>her backstory was sympathetic and made me want to see her have a good resolution
>she was extremely well designed, especially the evolution of her appearance to mirror her character development
>her voice actress did the job just fine, and in some cases exceptionally("kill me Jack" was heartwrenching)
>her character interaction with Jack was really entertaining and it's a shame there wasn't more of it
>broke the endless cycle between Jack and Aku
I loved the romance but I didn't get into details like that because you'd just latch on to them and say "SO YOU ADMIT YOU'RE A WAIFUFAG"
>>
>>93653555
Forgot to add
>was part of two of the best animated fight sequences I've seen in years
>>
>>93653581
I will say that, as bad as thing turned out, it was all worth it for that fight in the forest.

I cum every time.
>>
>>93652576
>>93652532
Has genndy responded at all to the ending?
He was pretty vocal before the season ended
>>
>>93652985
No one can withstand the jackoning
Thread posts: 180
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.