[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is he the villain?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 546
Thread images: 49

File: 71.jpg (30KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
71.jpg
30KB, 800x450px
Why is he the villain?
>>
>>93639850
God forced him to be to stroke his own ego.
>>
>>93639850
Cause the bible says so, duh. And you should always believe everything you read.
Incidentally, I'm a girl on the internet.
>>
>>93639862
This. There where literally no reason for god to not just make him be okay with letting the Jews go. But instead he choose to draw it out to show his destructive powers to the Jews and Egyptians.
>>
>>93639850
Oy vey, da jewish people were bein taken advantage of, goyim.0
>>
>>93639862
God doesnt force you to commit sin. He gives you up when you choose the path of sin and its in your hands.
The early isrealis had a moment were the wrre degenerate as fuck and this was mentioned, i can probably find it but its not a /co/ related discussion to have.
>>
>>93639862
Not in the Jewish version of the story. In the original, Yahweh and the Egyptian Gods were having a pissing contest and the Egyptian Gods hardened his heart after every plague so he wouldn't yield and they only backed off when they realized that Yahweh could literally kill every last Egyptian to get what he wanted.

It's only the modern Chaotic/Christian stories that don't want to imply that this story was a war between Gods so they just make him a dick
>>
>>93639934
How shitty would it be to be an Egyptian God, and this newcomer Yahweh starts stealing your fame and glory?
>>
>>93639850

God opressed him and shit, cause he and the jews were mad that the egyptians wuz kangs.
>>
>>93639994
>power devided among a bunch of gods who may or may not like each other
Vs
>power into one superior being absolutely
It isnt hard to imagine why monotheism caught on
>>
>>93639994
The whole point was that the Egyptian Gods didn't realize how out of their league they were. They'd always assumed they'd "beaten" Yahweh which is why the Jews were enslaved, so that's why they didn't take him seriously when he said "Alright, funs over furries let my people go"

This naturally miffed Yahweh, so the 12 Plagues were more to humiliate the powerlessness of the Egyptian gods in his way, since if you can't stop another God from preforming miracles, what good are you?
>>
Old testament god was a fucking dick
New testament god is a cool dude
>>
>>93639928
>early Israelis
You realize this is a myth, right? This didn't actually happen.
>>
>>93639850
Because he's black and the other guy is jewish.
Think about it.
>>
>>93639850
Because he was standing by the bad decisions of his father instead of confronting them and changing.

Moses learned about the murder of the hebrew babies and decided to distance himself from that. Ramses could've done the same. He could've been a better man than his father was, but chose not to be.
>>
>>93640072
Pretty much this. Also, Jesus was the broest of bros.

>"Fuck the commandments, just treat others the way you want to be treated."
>>
>>93639850
Ancient biblical history implies he's a fucking oppressor.
>>
>>93640233
Ancient biblical history implies there exists a mountain on Earth from which you can see the entire surface of the Earth at once.
>>
>>93640329
...No it doesn't.

I mean I get your general thrust, but I'm pretty sure there is no ultimate mountain in the Bible.
>>
>>93639928
except for the part where it explicitly says that God "hardened the Pharaoh's heart"
>>
>>93640103
What? The tribe of juda who went on to create isreal never existed? Is that what youre implying?
>>
>>93640578
The EGYPTIAN GODS hardened his heart, not Yaweh.
>>
>>93640192
He NEVER said to disregard the old word he CONSTANTLY belittled his opponents on how LITTLE they knew about their own fucking religion.
>>
>>93640192
>>"Fuck the commandments
Jesus never said that, he never even implied it. He constantly said the old word was still the word of God and should be adhered to.
>>
>>93639850
Slave owning dictator.

>>93639886
God doesn't fuck with people's free will.
>>
>>93640665
Ra, Obelisk or Slifer?
>>
>>93640990
I'm not sure if it mentions a specific one, go read the original story.
>>
>>93640665
Bruh. God hardened his heart to prove his power to the captured Hebrews.

And then he wound up destroying the Hebrews anyway.
>>
>>93640780
The whole point of Jesus is that he makes a new covenant with humanity (a 'testament', if you will) that supersedes the old one.
>>
>>93641018
Depends which version you're citing. The oldest version its the egytian gods who do this.
>>
>>93641033
But doesn't invalidate it.
Just means we no longer need to sacrifice blood of our livestock or of our own for him anymore.
>>
Moses is torn up about what he's doing throughout the movie and even at the very end he still feels bad about what happened to Ramses. He just was full of himself at first because he was pharaoh, and was driven to madness and rage when his land was destroyed and his child died, which is understandable. In fact they play up the fact that his magicians were constantly stroking his ego in several scenes, they're arguably more villains than he is. Furthermore, he desperately wished to live up to his father's expectations, as was readily established at the beginning of the movie, and felt like letting Hebrews go would be an admission of failure, which his father was very hard on him about. He's a sympathetic villain throughout the movie, forced into the situation by outside influence, and is never portrayed as being outright evil. It's honestly one of my favorite things about Prince of Egypt.
>>
So are there Egyptian Gods or not? Which version of the Bible is canon?
>>
>>93640990
Go home yami
>>
>>93639850
In the context of the movie, his ego and personal issues lead him to keep the Jews in bondage to the detriment of everyone.
>>
>>93641282
Egyptian gods predate christian god. Humans went from poly to mono theis. Because its much easier to adhere to the ideal god then a set of gods and the god of gods.
>>
>>93640192
Jesus never said that, but he was a fucking rebel vs the Jewish tradition of purity.

Most of his miracles where done on people outside of the community that was allowed in the temple.
>>
>>93641257

Indeed, they put a lot of effort into making him an interesting figure which is why they don't kill him at the end (as happens in the Bible). Ralph Fiennes puts in a great performance.
>>
>>93641018
>>93641045
Not even in the bible. Not exactly. God's hardening of you heart is a mercy. You are BORN sinned, remember.
Its not that God MADE the pharaohs heart harden, and more that he ALLOWED it to be harden on the pharaohs own will by tipping over the first domino by sending Moses to him with his message.

The passage people all get confused about, I will provide the hebrew for it as well.
ז:א וַיֹּ֤אמֶר יְ-הֹוָה֙ אֶל מֹשֶׁ֔ה רְאֵ֛ה נְתַתִּ֥יךָ אֱלֹהִ֖ים לְפַרְעֹ֑ה וְאַהֲרֹ֥ן אָחִ֖יךָ יִהְיֶ֥ה נְבִיאֶֽךָ: ז:ב אַתָּ֣ה תְדַבֵּ֔ר אֵ֖ת כָּל אֲשֶׁ֣ר אֲצַוֶּ֑ךָּ וְאַהֲרֹ֤ן אָחִ֙יךָ֙ יְדַבֵּ֣ר אֶל פַּרְעֹ֔ה וְשִׁלַּ֥ח אֶת בְּנֵֽי־ יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מֵאַרְצֽוֹ: ז:ג וַאֲנִ֥י אַקְשֶׁ֖ה אֶת לֵ֣ב פַּרְעֹ֑ה וְהִרְבֵּיתִ֧י אֶת אֹתֹתַ֛י וְאֶת מוֹפְתַ֖י בְּאֶ֥רֶץ מִצְרָֽיִם: ז:ד וְלֹֽא יִשְׁמַ֤ע אֲלֵכֶם֙ פַּרְעֹ֔ה וְנָתַתִּ֥י אֶת יָדִ֖י בְּמִצְרָ֑יִם וְהוֹצֵאתִ֨י אֶת צִבְאֹתַ֜י אֶת עַמִּ֤י בְנֵֽי יִשְׂרָאֵל֙ מֵאֶ֣רֶץ מִצְרַ֔יִם בִּשְׁפָטִ֖ים גְּדֹלִֽים: ז:ה וְיָדְע֤וּ מִצְרַ֙יִם֙ כִּֽי אֲנִ֣י יְ-הֹוָ֔ה בִּנְטֹתִ֥י אֶת יָדִ֖י עַל מִצְרָ֑יִם וְהוֹצֵאתִ֥י אֶת בְּנֵֽי יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מִתּוֹכָֽם
(cont)
>>
>>93642321
7:1 Yhwh said to Moses, “See, I have made you like God to Pharaoh, and your brother Aaron shall be your prophet. 7:2 You shall speak all that I command you, and your brother Aaron shall tell Pharaoh to let the Israelites go out of his land. 7:3 And I will stiffen Pharaoh’s heart,[5] and I will multiply my signs and wonders in the land of Egypt. 7:4 And Pharaoh will not listen to you, and I will lay my hand upon Egypt and bring my people the Israelites, company by company, out of the land of Egypt by great acts of judgment. 7:5 The Egyptians shall know that I am Yhwh, when I stretch out my hand against Egypt and bring the Israelites out from among them.”

He also said
3:19 Yet I know that the king of Egypt will not let you go except by a mighty hand. 3:20 So I will stretch out My hand and smite Egypt with various wonders which I will work upon them and after that he shall let you go.
>Yet I know that the king of Egypt will not let you go except by a mighty hand
There are many other indication he didn't harden his heart or strip away his free will completely, (Exod. 7:13, 22; 8:19 8:32)

Samuel 6:6, also proves otherwise that the pharaoh was under God's control, it was his own free will that lead him there.
God sent Moses to the pharaoh, so inevitably such an action meant the pharaoh would have to make a decision. And of course God knew what the pharaohs choices would be. God sets the stage, we are actors of free will within that stage. 10:5-11 state he will use the sinners for his causes.

God already KNOWS what the pharaohs decision is, he didn't harden his heart on his own he was stating his heart hardening was inevitable because this is necessary for his plan. The pharaoh was a sinner long before Moses arrived.
>>
>>93642341
*wasn't under Gods control
>>
Cause he's black. Black people are always the villain
>>
File: nigga please.jpg (22KB, 342x409px) Image search: [Google]
nigga please.jpg
22KB, 342x409px
>>93640945
> God doesn't fuck with people's free will.

Exodus 7:3
> But I will harden Pharaoh's heart
>>
>>93642402
The pharaohs heart was already hardened, God was stating the obvious.
>Yet I know that the king of Egypt will not let you go except by a mighty hand
The original hebrew doesn't exactly translate as that anyways.
>>
File: 1481049198671.gif (338KB, 538x572px) Image search: [Google]
1481049198671.gif
338KB, 538x572px
>>93642447
> The original hebrew doesn't exactly translate as that anyways.

oh shit we've got an Ancient Hebrew expert in this thread. Just pick any translation you like from the link provided. God literally made Pharaoh to refuse to let the Jews just so he could show off.
>>
>>93642447
>The pharaohs heart was already hardened,

No, god hardened it as the text says. God cares not for freewill,
>>
>>93640945
>Slave owning dictator.

Wait....the Jews had slaves. God never condemned slavery.
>>
>>93642616
Exod. 7:13, 22; 8:19, 8:32, 3:19
Samuel 6:6
God may use you, but he doesn't force you to sin.
The hardening of the pharaoh was inevitable, God knew this. He was stating it. He used the pharaoh's ego to his advantage to make a display out of Egypt.
>>
>>93642659
>It's ok when we're the ones doing it
t. everyone
>>
Keeping jewish slaves was looked down upon, since jews always bought their citizen back. Jews believed to be chosen people and so keeping their image clean, freed jews that had been taken slave under non-jewish families. One would only keep jew as a slave to bargain them to Israel, or if the master was jew themself.
>>
>>93642577
Well he's not wrong. It isn't an exact translation. Of the dozens of languages that have conventions that don't translate into english you're surprised Ancient Hebrew is one of them?
>>
File: 1486536041496.jpg (236KB, 691x625px) Image search: [Google]
1486536041496.jpg
236KB, 691x625px
>>93642693
> God doesn't fuck with free will excepts when he does but it's okay because it's the same in the end

it's like saying murder isn't murder because the victim would've eventually died anyway
>>
>>93642783
>> God doesn't fuck with free will excepts when he does but it's okay because it's the same in the end
I never stated the first half of that sentence, that is a misconception christians make all the time though.
God is ALL FUCKING powerful, of course he can strip away your free will. He tends not to fuck with it because he wants an organic experience of your character in order to judge it.
He will use a sinner to his advantage, this is clearly stated
>>
>>93642577
He's not wrong. Hebrew is a sketchy language to translate into English.
>>
>>93642772
of course it's not an exact translation, but that doesn't mean what he is saying is right. By that logic, you can just pick anything you don't like in the Bible and call it a bad translation. You'll just have to find a source you trust the most and use it. In this case, all the translations say the same, and just English ones, I also checked 2 others.
>>
>>93642928
> and just English ones
*not
>>
>>93642928
It means we don't know if that is what was really stated in the original text because Hebrew is hard to translate into English. All the example of translation you gave are English one.

The word hebrew word אַקְשֶׁ֖ה

to harden, to make difficult ; (scholarly) to question

So which is it?
>>
>>93642986
I am going to trust people who spent their entire lives studying, and they seem to go with the first

Иcхoд 7:3
Ho Я oжecтoчy cepдцe фapaoнoвo, и явлю мнoжecтвo знaмeний Moих и чyдec Moих в зeмлe Eгипeтcкoй;

Ելք 7
3 Սակայն ես թույլ կտամ, որ փարավոնի սիրտը համառ դառնա, և կշատացնեմ իմ նշաններն ու հրաշքները Եգիպտոսում։
>>
just post the songs.
>>
>>93639850
cos' slaves
>>
>>93639850
Great. It's this shit again. Fuck off to /pol/ or /his/.
>>
>>93643048
Again, you trust it but it doesn't even make sense because its contradicted. Its not like """Experts"" haven't been wrong before. See "Though shall not kill" shit fiasco

To question the pharaoh or the make it difficult on him is the more obvious use of the word here.
>>
>>93643103
yes, every single translator we found made the same mistake just because you don't want to accept that by today's standards God is a douche.

Just like the second option is more obvious to you, a random shitposter or /co/, the first one was obvious to the scholars of the past.
>>
>>93640103

PROTIP: Nothing in the Bible happened, it was history's earliest school shooter notebook. Literally no historical record ever describes Egypt suffering the sort of losses the three plagues would have instilled but many do describe the Israelites being kicked out of Egypt for fucking with early currency systems.
>>
>>93640192
Nice try reprobate. GO READ THE FUCKING BOOK
>>
>>93643172
Dude, it pretty fucking blatant that the hebrew word אַקְשֶׁ֖ה has different meanings and its POSSIBLE people have been fucking it up because its an easy mistake to make. Again,. use your head, its a direct contradiction to other passages in the same fucking chapter, it isn't even used the same way in the other chapters.
>>
>>93642698
Slavery was ok, considering the time period. Even more so during Christianity, as the church saw it's citizen slaves/servants of God. Holyfying matrimony meant you had to marry the slave you slept with. The murder of slave was no different from the murder of freeman. Slavery was mostly a punishment, which made it in the eyes of god ok. Better option to dungeon, mutilation, death or exile. And some free-spirits used it as adoption.
>>
>>93643206
How could they manipulate currency if they were slaves?
>>
>>93643064
https://youtu.be/-tVTEyuCKn4
>>
>>93643243

Because they weren't exclusively slaves, savannah darkies were.
>>
Religion is wack
>>
>>93643206
Why do isrealis have ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics in their temples if they were never in Egypt? Why are there pharaohs chariots with dating that would be accurate to the time period in the story in the red sea? Come on man. At least learn a little bit about history before spouting nonsense.

You can say that the magical elements of it arent real, whatever, but these stories have a fucking origin man and they are true to historic findings.
>>
>>93640192

>Everyone shits on the bible and christianity
>It's actually the most progressive religion and the only one that says to treat your enemies like your neighbors first before resorting to conflict.
>>
>>93643293
forgot my pic
I realized you acknowledge the jews being in Egypt in your spoiler anyways so whatever.
>>
>>93643293
>Why do isrealis have ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics in their temples if they were never in Egypt?

They were in Egypt, but they didn't convince a powerful sky wizard to destroy Egypt with his magic powers. Most Israelites weren't even slaves.
>>
>>93643206
What? No.
There actually was a wave of natural disasters and subsequent refugee/pirate crisis that fucked pretty much every bronze age civilization around the Mediterranean to death that coincides with the probable time period of Exodus.

And the Hiboru/Heboru, who became the Israelites, had nothing to do with currency, they were a Canaanite caste or ethnic sub-group of mercenaries working in Egypt who fucked off and set up their own state north of the Sinai desert when civilization in general started falling apart, ~1200 BC give or take.
>>
>>93639928
Read the story again. God literally makes him change his mind multiple times, as he would have otherwise let Moses & co. go.

God is the only villain in the story.
>>
>>93643323
The flood stretches across more than iblical culture, Jesus stretches across cultures and even has documentation proving he was real. Again, i don't care if you believe in the magical side of it, but to say the bible never happened is objectively false.
>>
>>93643222
of course it's possible but extremely unlikely that every single one made the same mistake independently over god knows how many centuries
>>
>>93641282

Technically yes. Pretty much god is the only true lord and other gods are scam artists. He's not saying that other gods aren't real but that they are not as powerful, good or great as he is.
>>
>>93643348
>The flood stretches across more than iblical culture, Jesus stretches across cultures and even has documentation proving he was real.

[citation really fucking needed]
>>
>>93639850
He's Middle Eastern.
>>
>>93643333
No he didn't, the pharaoh was acting on his free will the vast majority of time. After each plague HE hardened his heart more, not God.
The pharaoh was never CLOSE to letting the jews go before God wreaked havoc. Citation fucking needed on your quote here
> God literally makes him change his mind multiple times, as he would have otherwise let Moses & co. go.
>as he would have otherwise let Moses & co. go.

God used him, but the pharaoh was already a sinner and would have done this anyways, hence why he was used in the first place by God.
>>
>>93641282
>>93643370

Yeah, Egyptian gods are just as real as YHWH. He just establishes that they're OTHER peoples gods, and the people of Israel are only allowed to worship Him.
>>
>>93643391

really? the flood was mentioned in greek mythology
>>
>>93642878
so you know how God thinks and acts?
look I understand having faith as an anchor or touchstone with what you consider truth and virtuos but I hate when religious people claim that their personal spiritual experience makes perfect rational sense for everyone.
>>
File: The-serpent-with-Eve.jpg (134KB, 700x526px) Image search: [Google]
The-serpent-with-Eve.jpg
134KB, 700x526px
>>93639850
Why is he the villain?
>>
>>93642577

Actually you are wrong. A big problem with the language is that since it is always evolving and there are so many that even slight changes can complete change the meaning. This is why muslims only teach using Quarns that are in Arbic as to avoid confusing in translating.

>>93642904

Hewbrew's are sketchy in general! hey yoo!
>>
>>93643270
Were south africans ever considered slaves, even to egyptians? The mediterranean slave market was mostly operated by ships, which south africans lacked.
>>
>>93643420

Floods are mentioned in everything from Islander mythos to Chinese mythos to native American mythos because few things are scarier to an ancient human than a big ass amount of water being everywhere for no discernible reason. This is like saying because Thor used lightning and God used lightning, all lightning in every mythos everywhere is evidence of the Bible being real.
>>
>>93643460

Most savannah people (who don't live in South Africa, they never have) were abducted because they resemble humans and work as hard as humans, or at least they do when frequently disciplined. Israelites started as a slave caste but quickly left it, and even among their own kind there were middle-class Israelites and slave Israelites.
>>
>>93643095
>Biblical stories
>/his/
Know how I know you're American?
>>
>>93643436

Because he though that because acting like a preteen girl and got angry when god told him to shut the fuck up and stop being such a brown noser.
>>
>>93643446
> Actually you are wrong
Actually, I am not. Mistakes in translations will happen, but the same mistake but dozens of men won't independently make the same mistake over the centuries
>>
>>93643391
Josephus (37-101AD)
Celsus (175AD)
Lucian of Samosata: (115-200 A.D.)
Suetonius (69-140AD)
Pliny the Younger (61-113AD)
Phlegon (80-140AD)
Mara Bar-Serapion (70AD)
Tacitus (56-120AD)
Thallus (52AD)
all mention Jesus and the chirstian, never referring to him as a fictional person.
>>
>>93643532
You are. The same mistakes can be made numerous time. Though shall not kill was the known commandment forever even though it was murder not kill.

It wouldn't be the first time mistranslations have happened and haven't been fixed. The king James bible STILL states thought shall not kill today.
>>
>>93643602
*thou
>>
>>93643573
>gives me names but no actual citations
>>
>>93643629
Yes, names of historians/people who have written a lot of shit. Why don't you go google for once instead of excepting us to spoonfeed you. I gave you a great start and several names to look into and research yourself.
>>
>>93643530
I can't even understand this sentence. No surprise that a Christfag can't master his native tongue.
>>
>life sucks lol
>here, let me kill fucking thousands of people who didn't do anything
>>
>>93643629
>>93643659
You KNOW he's spoiled and wont.

“On the whole world there pressed a most fearful darkness; and the rocks were rent by an earthquake, and many places in Judea and other districts were thrown down. This darkness Thallus, in the third book of his History, calls, as appears to me without reason, an eclipse of the sun.” (Julius Africanus, Chronography, 18:1)

“What benefit did the Athenians obtain by putting Socrates to death? Famine and plague came upon them as judgment for their crime. Or, the people of Samos for burning Pythagoras? In one moment their country was covered with sand. Or the Jews by murdering their wise king?…After that their kingdom was abolished. God rightly avenged these men…The wise king…Lived on in the teachings he enacted.”
(wiseking = Jesus)

“And with regard to the eclipse in the time of Tiberius Caesar, in whose reign Jesus appears to have been crucified, and the great earthquakes which then took place … ” (Origen Against Celsus, Book 2, Chapter 33)

“Jesus, while alive, was of no assistance to himself, but that he arose after death, and exhibited the marks of his punishment, and showed how his hands had been pierced by nails.” (Origen Against Celsus, Book 2, Chapter 59)
>>
>>93643391
>I'm too lazy to even do a simple Google search
>I shall declare myself the winner because it wasn't spoonfed to me
>>
>>93643602
but that's just English where those two particular words may have had a similar meaning which led to confusion. I've given you other translations as well where nothing has changed
>>
>>93643303

>the most progressive religion

That's like being the most gentle executioner, or the most eloquent down-syndrome kid.
>>
>>93643702
>>93643699
>>93643659
>write a paper
>give it to your professor
>the citations page is just names
>"Wow dont be so lazy, just GOOGLE it"

Modern children should be gassed
>>
>>93643742
I agree.
>>
>>93643742
I wasn't asked to write a paper, I was told to give some citations which you cite on papers.
>>
>>93643706
I on;ly care about the original hebrew idiot. I don't care about your Spanish or German or English translations all that matters is the original Hebrew. And the hebrew word אַקְשֶׁ֖ה has different meanings IN HEBREW. So which one of these is it?
>>
File: foghorn.jpg (22KB, 283x350px) Image search: [Google]
foghorn.jpg
22KB, 283x350px
>>93643742
>ask for citations
>receive citations
>NONO I WANTED AN ESSAY. CITATIONS ARENT GOOD ENOUGH BECAUSE THEN ID HAVE TO GOOGLE
>>
>>93643817
>I WANTED AN ESSAY
He didn't say he wanted an essay.
>>
>>93639850
Ignoring the rest of the faith/antifaith wanking going on in the rest of the thread, allow me to posit that he may not be THE villain.

I admit that he is an antagonist, in that he stands as a barrier between what the protagonist wants and the getting of said want, but he is not the greatest nor the most difficult barrier that Moses has to overcome. That would be Moses and the Israelites. Specifically, the lack of faith of Moses and the Israelites. It's the case in the bible and it's the case in the movie(s). This story isn't only about a people migrating away from a host nation. This story is also about a people learning to believe. That is the core theme of the movie. Its so important that they wrote it into the first line of the chorus, just incase someone (hem, OP) was too stupid to get it.

The song doesn't say "There can be miracles when you win a pissing contest with your adult 'brother.'"
>>
>>93643835
Then WHY is he complaining when he received citations?
>>
>>93643851
If you read what he said enough to know he expected citations, why would you pretend he said something he didn't?
>>
>>93643817
>want citations
>receive names

Either way the dumb fuck linked a quote about Athens as proof of Biblical plagues being real because his primordial chimp brain equated Greece to Egypt, despite the Bible's setting taking place long before those two seriously cooperated, and then proceeded to get uppity when someone demanded actual citations. There's no sense arguing with a window licker.
>>
>>93643803
scholars seem to go with the first one

also,
> insults
getting nervous?
>>
>>93642577
The word אַקְשֶׁ֖ה is used ONCE according to your website. So YES,m there is a clear error here. The other word הִקְשָׁה֩ is used for the same word, "harden" but it is a different word used.
>>
>>93643879
Do you not know what a citation is? Those names ARE citations. Go read about them.
>>
>>93643881
see
>>93644084
They are WRONG and its EASILY provable.
>>
File: realizes the horrors to come.jpg (15KB, 462x445px) Image search: [Google]
realizes the horrors to come.jpg
15KB, 462x445px
>>93639850
Because Judaism is a giant scam mixed with a giant-ass victim complex.
They believe the entire world owes them everything because of muh oppression.
>>
>>93644176
Judaism was invented 7 years after christ.
>>
>>93639850
Cause he had tons of slaves he refused to give up and went against God's will in promotion of his own false gods?

Why would you think him not the villain?
>>
>>93639850
We
>>
>>93639850
Because jews. Literally.
>>
>>93644104
>Those names ARE citations
>>93644203
>Judaism was invented 7 years after christ

And to think, sometimes I wonder why some people think Americans are stupid.
>>
>>93644261
It was. You're thinking of Yahwehism, which predates Christianity and Judaism. Judaism came AFTER Christianity, that is a fact.

Juda refereed to a specific tribe who worship Yaweh, not a race or religion.
>>
>>93640627
I just thought it was weird you seamlessly segued into talking about history when we are talking about a movie is all.
>>
>>93643881
>he runs away after getting btfo
>>93644084
lel
>>
>>93644393
A movies based on a historical event.
>>
>>93639850

His pride was his downfall.
>>
>>93643213
Forgive me the unnecessary profanity
>>
>>93640438
"Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory." Matthew 4:8
There are also multiple references to "the ends of the earth" and "the four corners of the earth" which you can search for yourself.

I must commend this thread for not having a single picture of a fedora in lieu of an argument. Let's keep it that way.
>>
File: cuck sighted 2.jpg (55KB, 384x409px) Image search: [Google]
cuck sighted 2.jpg
55KB, 384x409px
>>93644855
here 4 (You)
>>
>>93639850
>black
WE
>>
File: 0L3u38e.jpg (36KB, 610x321px) Image search: [Google]
0L3u38e.jpg
36KB, 610x321px
The same reason Ramses had a Semitic nose structure and Moses had an Afroasiatic nose structure instead of the other way around.
>>
>>93640046
It doesn't make sense why Yahweh caught on so much. It's like some bullied autistic kid's god. YEAH WELL MY GOD IS SINGULAR AND HE MADE EVERYTHING ADN YOUR GOD CAN'T STOP HIM BECAUSE MY GOD IS ALSO EVERYTHING AND IF YOU WANT A GOOD AFTERLIFE YOU HAVE TO SERVE HIM BY BEING A GIANT NERD PUSSY LIKE ME.

Like everyone would have been like, 'Fuck off nerd lmao go cry to your stupid bush while my God makes all the cats do backflips and impregnates horses.'
>>
>>93640192
>Jesus
>disregarding the commandments
This meme needs to end, especially in an age where people can actually read. Jesus openly supported the Old Testament and was a devout Hebrew supremacists just like all the prophets before him.
>>
>Oh boy, a Prince of Egypt thread! I love this film!
>three people shitflinging exclusively about the scriptures instead of the film

For fuck's sake

Anyways, Ramses is the villain because his pride refuses to allow him to accept his mistakes and learn from them.

Did anyone else find it cool that God and Moses have the same VA?
>>
To everyone that believes this story to be true, why hasn't god left any modern scriptures? He's such a fucking pussy hiding from us
>>
>>93643206
The Egyptian records state that they were kicked out for being unruly, not anything specifically to do with currency. Certainly the basis for the Exodus is historical fact, how it actually went down is not so well determined.

And they Egyptians are hardly going to admit that their gods got shat on by a god of slaves, now are they?
>>
>>93645246
God's voice included all the VAs, just Kilmer's was the most prominent.
>>
>>93639850
Jews are the good guys, goy.
>>
>>93645246
That's what every thread about this movie is like
>>
>>93639934
>In the original, Yahweh and the Egyptian Gods were having a pissing contest and the Egyptian Gods hardened his heart after every plague so he wouldn't yield and they only backed off when they realized that Yahweh could literally kill every last Egyptian to get what he wanted.

Source? Sounds super interesting?

>>93640046

Mfw no harmonious ditheism.
>>
>>93642402
that's some vague syntax. Like to me it sounds like, "hey Moses when we do this thing, its just gonna make his heart more hard, unavoidable." rather than "Moses I know we want the jews free, but I'm gonna make Pharoah's heart harder just to draw this out.
>>
>>93639850
He's not. He's just the antagonist.
>>
>>93645199

By introducing the concept of a gentile being allowed to be part of the faith he was already WAY below the level of Jewish superiority than most of his contemporaries.

The Good Samaritan is the best example of his parables indicating foreigners being more virtuaous than Jewish people.
>>
>>93645246
That scene with the burning bush still gives me chills.

>"WHO MADE MAN'S MOUTH?"
>>
>>93645452
>Like to me it sounds like, "hey Moses when we do this thing, its just gonna make his heart more hard, unavoidable."
To me, that sounds like a very far fetched interpretation.
>>
>>93645436
Only well after Christianity was established as the dominant faith in the region was true monotheism (the existence of one god, as opposed to worshipping one god) encouraged as the interpretation.

You can see evidence of this in Christian scripts as well. When the Ark is taken in battle and brought to a Philistine Temple God battles with their own Idol their and wrecks the Temple so much the Philistines hand the Ark right back.

Earlier copies indicate that God's avatar fought another tribal (and inferior) God in its own holy place and won, which was a big deal. Copies made after the East-West split state the Philistine God was a phoney devil that God gave the smack down to instead. Catholic scripture pushes this a lot more while Orthodox scripture tends to at least off-handedly acknowledge the existence of other powers (merely inferior).
>>
>>93643303
Uh, no. Islam says quite a lot about respecting strangers, Zoroastrianism says not to go to war except in defense, and Buddhism is pretty explicit about people doing evil shit being caught effectively forever in a spiral of living suffering (so don't do that and basically be nice to people).
>>
>>93639850
I don't view him as a villain really in Moses heart he is still his brother I see him as more of an antagonist.

He is a victim of his own doubts. He doubts Moses word and he doubts this God that Moses listens to because he was raised to believe in his gods his whole life.

He doesn't set the slaves free because he doesn't believe int this God Moses speaks of and there fore doubts in God's existence until the untimely death of his son from the third plague.

Then out of anger he really doesn't want to follow Moses because he hates him and his God because he was punished for keeping a tradition that while angered God it was a tradition he was raised to believe was normal since he was born into Egyptian society.

Moses Egyptian brother wasn't really a villain but a victim of circumstance. In the same way that people hate people who are raised in a racist cultural tradition that people who are raised in that cultural tradition can't understand.

It's like having a super racist family member that doesn't know any better and was raised in a backwards society. They don't understand the wrongs of their committed beliefs.
>>
Atheists will never understand
>>
>>93644855
Space elevator
>>
>>93645583
I dunno man, its been years since sunday school, and I barely paid attention then. I read the illustrated kids version of the bible from cover to cover, so that in and of itself is pretty heavilly paraphrased.

Just cutting through the temple language, and interpreting it in a way that makes story sense to me.
>>
The Abrahamic religions are shitty.

The polytheistic religions were also shitty.

The lesson is that humans are fucking dumb.
>>
>>93645944
Ancient Egyptian religion wasn't about sitting down, praying and being as smug as possible, it was about the Egyptian people and the betterment of it.
The gods were flawed and bizarre on purpose so people would relate to them.
>>
>>93645749
>Zoroastrianism says not to go to war except in defense
Zoroaster was a fucking pimp.

Shame what happened to his methodology.
>>
Is it the same guy making the thread every time? The angry one who keeps calling OT God a douche?
>>
>>93639850
Because he was spiritually blind and an asshole.
>>
>>93645185
That is EXACTLY why it caught on. Why would you back a God that isn't ALL POWERFUL?
>>
File: The Real Jar Jar.jpg (51KB, 513x305px) Image search: [Google]
The Real Jar Jar.jpg
51KB, 513x305px
>>93645749
>Islam.
>Peaceful.
Hahahahaha!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFo_rR90Tr8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObIThAi07Tg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbpAXRfbE-A
>>
>>93640067
no, the poin is that there no Egyptian Gods, the jew GOD, is the ONLY GOD.

that is the point of the entire bible.
>>
>>93646417
You're not gonna believe what the Torah/Bible say about violence, women, and faith. (Hint: it's to use the first thing as liberally as possible on groups that include the second thing to prove that you have the third thing, as per God's whim).

I'm agnostic so I believe in God but have no illusions about almost every religion being stained by man's impure hands.
>>
>>93639850
Because when God tells you to do something and gives you physical signs to show you he's there and will slap your shit if you dont you should probably just say ok.
>>
File: Sucy explains magic.png (276KB, 720x479px) Image search: [Google]
Sucy explains magic.png
276KB, 720x479px
>>93646620
And yet, only ONE religion, Islam, is a warmongering death cult that is major spreader and user of religious violence. The Bible has plenty of violence, no shit. It also has plenty of tolerance, like the story of Ruth, or to treat foreigners as your brothers.

I'm also agnostic. But I'm not going to live in a delusional "moral relativist" worldview, while claiming that every is the "same", when it clearly isn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_Qpy0mXg8Y

One is clearly worse then the others. Hinduism and Buddhism have violence in them, just as Christianity and Judaism do. Islam is only one founded to be a political ideology and is utterly imperialistic and based on terrorism as per Muhammad.
>>
File: youkeepusingthatword[1].jpg (34KB, 640x352px) Image search: [Google]
youkeepusingthatword[1].jpg
34KB, 640x352px
>>93646620
>agnostic
>>
File: Pontius-Pilate.jpg (53KB, 377x561px) Image search: [Google]
Pontius-Pilate.jpg
53KB, 377x561px
Why is he the villain?
>>
>>93639850

Because he would not let my people go.

Thus sayeth the Lord
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A07tDouATcE

because he does not appreciate Jazz
>>
File: 1488165206457.png (357KB, 397x402px) Image search: [Google]
1488165206457.png
357KB, 397x402px
>>93646738
>And yet, only ONE religion, Islam, is a warmongering death cult that is major spreader and user of religious violence.
Are you off your rocker?

>>93646771
What do you think agnostic means?
>>
>>93647260
then what other religion is promoting the killing of people by offering virgin children to fuck? the mormons? the mennonites?
>>
>>93647413
None? But that's not what you said. You said a warmongering death cult that is [a/the] major spreader and user of religious violence. Islam has more tankfodder but Christianity has bigger bombs.
>>
File: Gul'dan Advice.jpg (465KB, 830x891px) Image search: [Google]
Gul'dan Advice.jpg
465KB, 830x891px
>>93647260
>Posts picture of black guy.
>Doesn't know that Islam created and maintained the African slave trade, and still runs it today.
>Thinks that he's made a point against Christians, who turned dismantled their slave trade centuries ago.
A-are you retarded?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV0wu7IC_ic

>>93647593
Uh, the guy you just replied to wasn't me, moron. Oh, and the religion he's referring to is Islam, which creates Muslim rape gangs because Kuffar girls are inferior and lower than maggots crawling around in dogshit to Islam.
>>
>>93646487
>That's the point of the entire bible

Only after Christianity got popular enough to enforce it you dingus.
>>
File: WhenAnonHitstheThreadJUSTWRONG.png (195KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
WhenAnonHitstheThreadJUSTWRONG.png
195KB, 499x499px
>>93647593
Are you serious?

The overwhelming majority of terrorist acts committed in the past 10 years have been by Islamic extremists.
The point isn't the scripture, all religions have retarded shit in their holy books, but the problem with Islam is that it's spiritual leaders are still going around thinking it's the 1400s. The religion itself is uncivilized in both writ and execution, and its leaders are making no efforts to modernize it.

How many christian nations have public executions for heresy?
How many secular states torture and behead homosexuals and adulterers?
How many non-Islamic countries prevent women from voting, driving, or dressing like human beings?

Islam is just like any other religion on paper, but in practice it is far and away the most barbaric, BECAUSE of its adherence to its primitive, backwards holy book.

tl:dr
Every holy book is insane like the Quran, but Muslims are barbarians because they act on it.
>>
File: 1481666405590.jpg (64KB, 680x1047px) Image search: [Google]
1481666405590.jpg
64KB, 680x1047px
>>93646996
He didn't have a choice, the pharisees had complete control and would have definitely lynched him if he didn't give the order.

The literally wanted a murderer released before Jesus. The crowd was ridiculous
>>
>>93647647
Niggers had no problem enslaving other niggers anon.
>>
>>93647647
>t Islam created and maintained the African slave trade,
Objectively false. Islam was around 600 AD, slave trading in africa was dominant LONG before that.
>>
File: Taqiyya and Kitman.jpg (57KB, 303x394px) Image search: [Google]
Taqiyya and Kitman.jpg
57KB, 303x394px
>>93647936
Yes, but there weren't vast armies of slaves being lead through the Sahara on foot to be sex slaves or cannon fodder. Also, those African tribes that did do it, did it for largely economic incentives, much like the Europeans. Islam did it based on its religious doctrine, which created a far more massive and extreme amount of suffering.

>>93647959
And that changes jackshit, moron. Fact is, Islam created the world's largest, longest lasting, and most barbaric slave trade. It doesn't matter that other groups were into slavery, as their practices of it were far less extreme and evil in comparison, you're only interested in deflection, obfuscation, and moral relativistic horseshit.
>>
>>93647135
Based Satchmo
>>
>>93647784
>How many christian nations have public executions for heresy?
There are no "christian" nations. Thank the U.S. for nipping that shit in the bud.
>>
>>93648075
>created
Thats where you're wrong. They didn't create it, they maintained it.
>>
>>93648075
>, you're only interested in deflection,
No, i was interested in pointing out where you were wrong. Islam didn't create the African slave trade.
>>
>>93647260
>What do you think agnostic means?
It's the philosophical standpoint that it is not possible to know whether or not there there is a god. Someone who holds the opposite position, that it is actually possible to know whether or not there is a god is called a gnostic.
>>
>>93642341
Does it really matter if you was being mind-controlled or not God could have literally teleported all his followers out of egypt.

At the very minimum god was throwing a childish temper tantrum that resulted in the deaths of thousands because pharaoh would not stroke his ego
>>
File: Snake drinking.gif (2MB, 270x188px) Image search: [Google]
Snake drinking.gif
2MB, 270x188px
>>93648152
Uh, they did create it. They also expanded it. It was a few small tribes doing it before Islam came. Islam created it's own slave trade, and butchered and conquered entire tribes, whereas before it was normally just small groups doing it. They didn't come into an existing market, and try their hand at it. They slaughtered everyone and everything in their way and then established their own market, separate from what had been there before. It was also the perpetrator of the European slave trade in the Mediterranean and the Iberian peninsula.
>>
>>93648279
>Uh, they did create it.
Wrong. African slave trade was dominant long before islam even existed. Come on.
> They also expanded it.
Correct.
>>
>>93648298
>Wrong. African slave trade was dominant long before islam even existed. Come on.
It wasn't the same organization, though. Which is kind of important. It can't be the same slave trade, but a different organization. Islam didn't need African tribes to enslave other Africans for them, unlike the Europeans. Jihadis could just ride their camels and horses in massive armies through the Sahara, butcher entire communities of people, and take the women and children back to Islamabad or Damascus as sex slaves and castrated war fodder.
>>
>>93648279
All you're saying is they came in and took over a previously established trade and made up some more rules to go with it.
That doesn't mean they created the African slave trade.
>>
>>93648377
>It wasn't the same organization, though
Does not matter.
Whether is Tod's oranges or Mussads oranges youre selling fucking oranges.
>>
>>93648377
>Islam didn't need African tribes to enslave other Africans for them
Europeans didn't need to do this either it was just already an established business and niggers were cheap. Why work harder evlsaving tribes when someone else is willing to do it for you?
>>
>>93643303
>What is Buddhism
>>
>>93647647
>trying to blame islam for everything when it was invented in 650~ AD
Dont get me wrong,. its awful, but a lot of their practices were actually form their previous religion that was adopted over. Especially trading and slave rights
>>
File: 1497203446821.gif (350KB, 200x160px) Image search: [Google]
1497203446821.gif
350KB, 200x160px
>>93644422
>based on a historical event.

The bible historical
top kek
>>
>>93648687
It is?
It is a peice of old documentation that record the stories of times of old. What more do you want? Greeks talked about magic shit happening in their documents too like God/s speaking to them about a refugee in a temple and a decision being based on this super natural event.
>>
>>93648748
One of the cities named Troy fell due to fire. The Illiad is not a historical document.
>>
>>93648772

1.159.1 When they came to Branchidae, Aristodicus, speaking for all, put this question to the oracle: “Lord, Pactyes the Lydian has come to us a suppliant fleeing a violent death at the hands of the Persians; and they demand him of us, telling the men of Cyme to surrender him. 1.159.2 But we, as much as we fear the Persian power, have not dared give up this suppliant of ours until it is clearly made known to us by you whether we are to do this or not.” Thus Aristodicus inquired; and the god again gave the same answer, that Pactyes should be surrendered to the Persians. 1.159.3 With that Aristodicus did as he had already decided; he went around the temple, and took away the sparrows and all the families of nesting birds that were in it. But while he was doing so, a voice (they say) came out of the inner shrine calling to Aristodicus, and saying, “Vilest of men, how dare you do this? Will you rob my temple of those that take refuge with me?” 1.159.4 Then Aristodicus had his answer ready: “Lord,” he said, “will you save your own suppliants, yet tell the men of Cyme to deliver up theirs?” But the god replied, “Yes, I do command them, so that you may perish all the sooner for your impiety, and never again come to inquire of my oracle about giving up those that seek refuge with you.”

Herodotus is not a fan fiction piece, he is an ancient historian.
>>
>>93640067
In the jewble there is only Yahweh and no one else there was never any Egyptiab gods or biblical god either.
>>
>>93648871
Not true. In Genesis Gods walked the earth and bred with man.

God says not to have any Gods before him. By his own admission, other Gods are real. They are just not the Lord of Lords.
>>
>>93639850
Jews
>>
>>93648845
And most of the Bible is much closer to the Illiad than Herodotus (and often takes pains to say how he is merely conveying an interesting story he heard). Something like Paul's latter's would be a closer comparison.
>>
>>93649087
The Iliad is actually real, but exaggerated, history.
The bible tells sptories before and after the great flood, and a great flood undoubtably happened theres too much evidence for it even in Herodotus he mentions sea salt and seashells(not fossils, its obvious when a shell is a fucking fossil) in the mountains.

And conveying an interesting story you heard is LITERALLY what history is.
>>
>>93649087
That isn't the first strange thing he wrote about.
http://www.livius.org/sources/content/herodotus/arion/
Do i believe a man rode a dolphin around? Yes. Yes I do if it was important enough to be written down in the first place.
>>
>>93649314
>Do i believe a man rode a dolphin around?
That's not exactly sound. We have stories, verifiable stories, of men being rescued by dolphins in the current age. The notion that it may have also happened in the back-when doesn't necessarily give credence to EVERY story published in those times.

Would you still believe the tale if nothing like it had ever happened since then?
>>
>>93649360
Are you going to deny everything from Histories, now?
>>
>>93649360
Also people being able to predict shit like an eclipse without having and tools to predict it.

Afterwards, on the refusal of Alyattes to give up his suppliants when Cyaxares sent to demand them of him, war broke out between the Lydians and the Medes, and continued for five years, with various success. In the course of it the Medes gained many victories over the Lydians, and the Lydians also gained many victories over the Medes. Among their other battles there was one night engagement. As, however, the balance had not inclined in favour of either nation, another combat took place in the sixth year, in the course of which, just as the battle was growing warm, day was on a sudden changed into night. This event had been foretold by Thales, the Milesian, who forewarned the Ionians of it, fixing for it the very year in which it actually took place. The Medes and Lydians, when they observed the change, ceased fighting, and were alike anxious to have terms of peace agreed on.
>>
>>93639850
>>93639862
>>93639886
The whole story is a metaphor to teach people a lesson. The lesson in this story is that people are responsible for the decisions of their leaders.

Moses publicly demanded that the Pharaoh do the right thing and let his people go, the Pharaoh publicly said no. Then the plagues happened one after another in a very public way that affected all of egypt. The egyptian people did NOTHING and stood behind their leader because they didn't care about the choices he made and didn't care that their way of life was enslaving a race of people to build their cities.

They kept ignoring very obvious signs of escalation that was impacting their lives and not just the Pharaoh's... then the final plague happened and killed all their first born because God doesn't care about the "Just following orders" line and doesn't care if you thought following someone else's orders absolved you of guilt.
>>
>>93639850
Well according to the Bible, God has a problem with foreskin. It goes downhill from there.
>>
>>93639850
Enforcing slavery and particularly cruel slavery at that
It was justifiable in that he literally didn't know better but once he was made to understand the situation he should have started thinking and making steps towards fixing things. But even when it became clear that a very real supernatural entity was pissed at him he stuck to his pride and actually got worse.
He's not the villain until his verse of The Plagues
>>
File: Landbridge.jpg (205KB, 800x400px) Image search: [Google]
Landbridge.jpg
205KB, 800x400px
>>93649464
>it's aaaaall a metaphor bro
>hit this weed
>>
>>93648918
Angels not gods retard.
>>
>>93649491
Just because it may or may not happen doesn't mean that it can't be used as a metaphor.

OP and others aren't talking about whether or not it all actually happened, just asking why the Pharaoh was a villain when it says "God hardened the Pharaoh's heart".

God did it to teach people that they are responsible for the decisions of who they choose to follow.
>>
>>93647784

You can't get a response with a thorough post like that, brah.

But you're dead on. Apologists and the ignorant harp on about the violence and misogyny present in the religious texts of other books. Okay, so what? Who gives a shit about theological nuance and "but other religion says" when the issue is the contemporary barbarism rampant in every majority or significant minority Muslim states?

The western republics and democracies are NOT Christian nations on a governmental level, and that is the entite fucking point. Secular Western states, the most stable and prosperous nations in human history, evolved out of a Christian continent over centuries and centuries of internecine strife and bloodshed and reform. The key word being REFORM, something the Islamic world has not been able to do, admittedly in part due to Western meddling over the last century that continuously collapses secular/sectarian states (Libya, Iraq, Syria.)

The Middle East NEEDS its feudalistic strong men to provide the stability necessary to evolve freer, more efficient government that combats the theology. Just like feudal kings and dukes and emperors vied with popes and archbishops. I feel like its the nature of Abrahamoc monotheism.

But, I don't want to bring the barbarians living in these ass backwards hellholes into my secular western republic, no more than I would want to open a portal to 11th century Europe and bring in fanatic crusaders. Because that's where the average theocrat indoctrinated Islamic dirt farmer is in their philisophical development. Maybe Islam will reform, but the onus is not on ME or my loved ones to suffer for some future five hundred years distant.
>>
>>93649549
>Pharaoh was a villain when it says "God hardened the Pharaoh's heart".
A hardened heart isn't puppeteered. He rejected God; God rejected him. That's how it works. He is always in control of his actions, so his heart was hardened by God. It's simple, and fags go through the same thing. They reject God. So God makes them into animals who seem like they're not in control.

Reprobate
>>
>>93649549
It was actually discussed the translation is likely flawed as pointed out in
>>93644084
>>
>>93648918
The fuck translation are you reading? You're talking about angels falling because they've found human women attractive right?

But yes, I think it was don't put other gods before me. Which if you're working with retarded asshole followers who will make an idol at the drop of a hat, may just mean that he's wording it softly. Or it could mean that he's the boss. I don't know and I'm worshiping Jesus and that God. I won't say others don't exist. I know fuckall about the afterlife it exists.
>>
>>93640072
There were some ancient Christian churches that believed YHWH was a false god and rejected the whole OT. Proto-Orthodox Christianity b& the shit out of them.
>>
>>93648470

>See Cambodia
>>
>>93642878
>He tends not to fuck with it because he wants an organic experience of your character in order to judge it.

Why? He already knows everything. He's known the quality of every character to ever exist since the start of creation.
>>
>>93649683
My bad, i mistook Giants for Gods.

I've always read that line as Gods breeding with women, but it's actually Sons of God which created Nephilim

>There we saw the Nephilim (the Anakites come from the Nephilim); and to ourselves we seemed like grasshoppers, and so we seemed to them.”
>>
>>93649806
Its not for him, its for YOU.
>>
>>93649826
Then he is malevolent.
>>
>>93649870
Why?
Its perfect justice. You deserve to suffer.
>>
>>93649826
>Created to die in sin and suffer unending torment

Thanks, God.
>>
File: 1499146222040.jpg (91KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1499146222040.jpg
91KB, 1280x720px
>>93649964
see
>>93649902
Perfect. Justice.
>>
File: 1470259713793.png (682KB, 1233x977px) Image search: [Google]
1470259713793.png
682KB, 1233x977px
>>93649964
Shouldn't have ate that apple bruh
>>
>>93649464
>god doesn't care about the just following orders line
>god expects you to directly endanger yourself and your family when faced with a tyrant
What a load of bull honkey that'd be.

That's like people who try to argue that anyone that served in the wermacht should be held directly accountable for the holocaust like the alternative of displacing your family, going AWOL, and letting go of basically everything you own during wartime is such an easy thing to do. Inaction may be an action all its own, but it's also a very understandable action for the everyman when there's no guarantee that it'll pay off for you or that anyone will care if you fail.
>>
File: comfy thoughts.jpg (37KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
comfy thoughts.jpg
37KB, 800x800px
>>93650049
>Most humans (at least in the west) agree that torture is an inhumane punishment at this point
>The entire concept of the Christian afterlife is that you better be a good dude or you'll be tortured for a time literally beyond human comprehension, and god doesn't put a stop to this

A few of the religious people I know just choose to believe that there's no hell, I guess.
>>
>>93642321
>sin is a choice
>everyone is born into sin

nice religion, christfags
>>
>>93650222
Humans have imperfect morals friend.
>>
File: 1498020600795.jpg (33KB, 366x380px) Image search: [Google]
1498020600795.jpg
33KB, 366x380px
>>93650240
>be born into sin
>keep sinning
To hell you go.
>>
>>93649181
>shells on mountains
Plate tectonics. And we would be able to see evidence for a global flood from sedimentology. Such a huge event would be impossible to miss.
>And conveying an interesting story you heard is LITERALLY what history is.
No, that's storytelling (which is not to disparage Herodotus, he was exploring new ground.) In history, "interesting" is less important than "accurate."

>>93649314
Something more along the lines of the giant golden ants. When we read that, we assume that he was retelling a story he heard, or was metaphor poorly understood, not that there were literal giant golden ants. For example, some believe he may have been hearing of a type of yellow gopher, who do move earth the way ants do. Without corroborating evidence (in this case biological evidence ) we do not take the fantastical at face value.
>>
File: think go round.gif (617KB, 498x498px) Image search: [Google]
think go round.gif
617KB, 498x498px
>>93650333
>Humans have decided on their own that torturing someone no matter how evil or flawed they are is abhorrent and excessive when it's not that complicated to humanely imprison (or when if it comes down to it, quickly and painlessly kill) them

>God is chill with literally eternal, endless, unimaginable torture with no way out for anyone deemed unworthy of heaven

>This is okay because God has objectively better morals because he's god
>>
File: IMG_4700.gif (2MB, 202x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4700.gif
2MB, 202x360px
>>93643206
>>
>>93650450
>God is chill with literally eternal, endless, unimaginable torture with no way out
Read the bible instead of taking notes from the renaissance era?
>>
>>93650240
>not knowing that Christ's entire sacrifice was to absolve original sin so that people could live and decide their fates with their actions and not the karmic tax left over from their grandfather

I prefer the Hebrew idea of original sin more than the Christian version, for what it's worth. Original Sin is just the idea that humans are more inclined towards the physical pleasures than spiritual enlightenment (I'd go to church but I'm too busy eating/shopping/too important/etc). So while it wasn't a curse it was still a temptation that needed discipline and experience to overcome.
>>
>>93648470
Curious question but what do muslims have against Buddhists
>>
>>93650523
Christian here. Physical pleasure is awesome and I hope it's part of the rewards of heaven. Just saying.
>>
>>93650513
Revelation is quite clear about eternal torture for Satan and The Beast, and with extreme apologetics you can argue that after being tortured in life the sinful are "merely" destroyed forever. Jesus preached about it fairly often. Dante did not invent hell.
>>
>>93650523
Mark 16:16
He that believes and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believes not shall be damned.
>>
>>93650591
Same thing they have against everyone who isn't Muslim, preferably interbreeding with their own clan. They're literally stuck around the campfire. Everything outside is scary, bad, and evil; or should be taxed.
>>
>>93650361
I had no choice to be born, tho. It's automatically thrust upon me without my knowledge at birth.

>>93650523
That's all fine and dandy, except in christianity the consequence is eternal torment and the vast majority of people who have ever lived will go to hell.
>>
>>93650637
But you do get to choose anon. You are able to choose now and here on out.
>>
>>93650513
I'll admit that I don't really know everything about most religions because I don't have much interest, but from what I know the concept of hell is that you cannot escape and you will be tortured for all eternity. I'm not sure but I don't think I'm off here considering I can find plenty of debate about the problem with an omnipotent god allowing hell to exist.

Of course there's also the whole 'god allows evil' thing, but that's a completely different metaphysical can of worms.
>>
>>93650601
Wait wait wait, I thought only 4 human names were to be erased from the book of life? I could be wrong.
>>
File: IMG_4793.gif (351KB, 263x239px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4793.gif
351KB, 263x239px
>>93650595
>physical pleasure
You mean masturbaiting right. I've been trying to stop doing thatthe mlp anthro and furry anthro ones are fucking messing with me too much. I need help. I'm also concerned about talking to a priest or minister about this.
>>
>>93650674
Its not a can of worms at all. Can you make a beautiful painting without tainting the pure white page with ink?
>>
>>93650684
>Father, why did the Lord make Fluttershy the most lewd one when she's shy, and vice versa with Applejack?
>>
>>93650700
A painting doesn't have feelings. A painting can't suffer.
>>
>>93650729
>ruining your greentext like that
>>
>>93650663
Do I really? An all powerful, all knowing creator would already know my decision before I make it. He would already know where I end up before I was even born.

What about the billions of people who died before christ was born or before christianity was widespread. Why didn't they get a choice?
>>
>>93650679
I have never heard of this 4 number. To get removed from the eternal reward, all you need do is remove something from the Bible, according to Revelation. But the idea that Dante and Milton invented Hell/eternal torture is as much a meme as the opposite.
>>
>>93650780
Well, he hates people like you. So maybe you don't have free will. :^)
>>
File: IMG_4726.jpg (78KB, 633x593px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4726.jpg
78KB, 633x593px
>>93650729
Why make humanized Luna and Fluttershy have big tits and nice asses. Should I really tell a priest about my problems if they're like this
>>
>>93650780
>What about the billions of people who died before christ was born or before christianity was widespread. Why didn't they get a choice?
You know they didn't?
>>
>>93650773
If it was meant to be green God would've made it green.
>>
>>93650814
Jesus outright states in the bible that he is the only way to salvation. Kind of a bad break for all those people huh?
>>
>>93650854
Before jesus, only the tribe of juda was getting in. Everyone else went to hell anon.
>>
>>93640578
I've always interpreted that as God realizing his keikaku would inevitably alienate the Pharaoh into doubling down on his pride like a retard, but he just didn't care and went ahead with it anyways since he still figured it was still his best option to free his chosen people without compromising his dramatic flare.
>>
>>93650870
The judeans. not only the tribe of juda.
>>
>>93650870
Boy, that sure is an evil thing to do to a bunch of people who literally don't know what they're doing wrong.

God's like, an anime villain.
>>
>>93650911
man ate fruit from the tree of knowledge and knew Good from Evil. No mother would give a child poison if he asks for milk. Everyone knows God. They deny Him willingly.
>>
>>93650873
Except Pharaoh is explicitly on the verge of letting them go multiple times, until God hardens his heart, and the New Testament's justification for the event is that of course God is allowed to control people because he made them.

The "God does not interfere with free will" thing is an invention of very late theology, and when bolted onto actual ancient texts of course it doesn't fit.
>>
>>93650870
>everyone else went to hell
Exactly my point. Christfags like to claim sin is a choice but nobody chose to be born into sin and none of those people got a chance at salvation, so they burn for eternity through no fault of their own.

>>93650929
Maybe it would have been better for Adam to castrate himself instead of damning billions to eternal suffering. Too late now, I guess.
>>
>>93640665
But that's not what the Bible says. Why are you denying God's word son?
>>
>>93650940
The reason God did it is because he wanted to show off his cool powers and become famous and well-known
>>
>>93650940
They ALWAYS reject God first. NEVER the other way around.

You are a liar and a deceiver.
>>
>>93650929
Every isolated, scattered group of humans on the planet knew the christian god somehow, but they denied him willingly, so they deserve eternal torture!

Come on.

I thought people were talking about Zeus or whatever whenever god was discussed because I was a little kid and didn't give a shit no matter how many services I went to until I was like 8.
>>
>>93650975
>God is literally operating on the same level of logic is that guy that shot John Lennon
>>
>>93651001
Yes, they all had a polytheism instead of a monotheism. They knew damn well what gods were, they rejected an almighty one in their hearts.

And again, if you know good and evil, you know God by default.
>>
>>93650975
Of course, and the text supports that. Because in terms of the morality of the intended audience, it makes perfect sense. But thousands of years later, you need very elaborate apologetics to make it work.
>>
>>93651030
>Being a good person is synonymous with being religious

I'm triggered.
>>
>>93650947
>through no fault of their own
They reject God.
>>
>>93651042
Do you also have pink hair and diabetes?
>>
>>93651030
This is true, even stones and trees know that there is only one God and Muhammad (PBUH) is His prophet. You really are without excuse.
>>
>>93643303
>What is sikhism
>>
>>93651075
Actually I'm a white male of proud german ancestry, but close.
>>
>>93651042
When you follow your morality, especially people of old, you come to the conclusion it comes from God.

>>93651084
Except Muslims reject Jesus as the son of God and thus have fucked themselves over by default.
>>
>>93651113
But God has no son, how could God have a son? That's polytheism.
>>
>>93646487
Actually gets interesting when you study ancient Semitic religions and can watch him devour/marry the gods/goddesses. The Hebrew accounts are actually less interesting.
>>
>>93651130
Its not, God and Jesus are one.
>>
>>93651113
>When you follow your morality, especially people of old, you come to the conclusion that it comes from god

I actually have no idea what you're trying to say.
>>
>>93651048
Citation? Does God make himself known to every single person on the planet? How can they reject someone they don't even know exists? Even if that were true, if not rejecting god was all you needed to not go to hell, then why did Jesus feel the need to sacrifice himself?
>>
>>93651145
This will never stop being funny.
>>
>>/his/
>>
>>93648110
>What is Armenia
>>
>>93651153
He means to say that if God didn't exist we'd all be raping babies because deep down that's all we want, or so he thinks because belief in God's judgement is the only thing preventing him from doing so.
>>
>>93651159
>Does God make himself known to every single person on the planet?
obviously. Nothing is more obvious. That's why you use the word.

Eternity exists, infinite exists, omnipresence exists.
The isrealis lived in a circular tent for 300 year(tabernacle) because the circle represents eternity.
>>
>>93651105
Sikhs are strange critters. I respect their overall theology. Still a Christian though.
>>
>>93651163
>mythology thread
>>
>>93639850
Because he's not Jewish.
>>
>>93651201
Obvious respect for whatever religion you choose, but sikhism (going off of purely theology and the guru granth sahib) is probably one of the most progressive faiths.

>>93651207
>/his/ isn't a place for mythology

/co/ and /his/ are the only boards I use these days. We argue all the time but it's comfy in a way.
>>
>>93643436
Because God hates knowledge and snakes.
>>
>>93651187
>obviously
More like goalpost-moving assumptions from a mad christcuck who cant justify his religion's backwards logic
>>
>>93651265
>knows the word God
Its over for you.
>>
>>93651265
>>93651265
The goal posts werent moved you just ran straight past them. Touchdown.
>>
>>93639850
Why didn't gods like amon or ra help them?
>>
>>93641033
no, the whole point of jesus is that god KNEW it was impossible to match the lofty goals he set for humanity because he HATES SIN

Jesus made a pact with god that his death would make up for any imperfections in humanity.
>>
Another question. How do you justify god tormenting people who don't accept him because he made humans? Is it some broad exception to our usual ideas of morality? We don't allow parents to abuse children, but god's god so he gets a free pass?

That doesn't sound healthy to me at all.
>>
>>93651187
Then what's the point of missionaries and evangelicalism?
>>
>>93651287
Isn't that exactly what you're doing? You're making assumptions on God's behalf that he gives everyone a fair shot regardless if they've heard of Christ or not, regardless of what the bible says. Why do you get to put words in God's mouth and I don't?
>>
>>93651364
A child who rejects his father should be stoned to death. That's a part of our society we have lost to deception.
>>
>>93651364
cognitive dissonance
>>
>>93651365
They are helping lost sheep anon.
>>
>>93651364
>We don't allow parents to abuse children
He who spares the rod hates his child. Abusing your children is God's will and not beating them is evil, what the fuck is wrong with you you Satanic wimp?
>>
>>93651394
There is none. They deserve death.
>>
>>93651424
Are you aroused?
>>
>>93651511
Are you scared?
>>
>>93651411
Exactly. God is punishing his children, you are expected to punish yours as well.
>>
>>93651253
And /lit/ was so useless last time I was there. It was /fa/ with books.

Sikhism is purposeful, but in several ways outdated. The core values are beautiful.
>>
>>93651569
I have nothing to fear, my land is protected by traditional charms and a house elf.
>>
>>93651588
I reiterate, god is an anime villain.
>>
>>93651595
No, you're just a pussy.
>>
>>93651595
Does that mean to defeat God we need
A) The Power of Friendship
B) Talk no Jutsu
or
C) Iron chariots as a power-up
>>
>>93651364
God sorta makes the passes, so yeah he gets all the free passes.
In fact he's the pass as well.
>>
>>93651614
Giant robot.
>>
>>93651614
"Iron Chariots" is the real code-name of the Eva Initiative.
>>
>>93651649
That would be C) then.
>>93651657
Mind = blown.
>>
>>93651618
So if god just now took back all happiness from the world, cloned himself into millions of spiky-dicked maniacs and started butt-devastating everyone on the planet, it'd be morally okay because he made it in the first place?
>>
>>93651696
Yes. And it would be our moral obligation to call Him daddy while He fucked us.
>>
>>93651696
Look at your ridiculous post and reevaluate your life son.
>>
>>93651696
Yeah kinda
>>
>>93651740
Man that's the logical conclusion for the justification that morality doesn't apply to god because he's god and he made everything.
>>
>>93651589
>but in several ways outdated

How so? The teetotaler aspects or the vegetarian aspects?
>>
>>93650684
Go home Tim, the dildos aren't going to polish themselves.
>>
>>93651943
?
>>
You guys ever notice the JIDF say disgusting shit just to be shocking?
>>
>>93651811
anon how do you feel about programmers and artist who allow or inflict pain and suffering to their creations?
>>
>>93652167
are we all fictional characters?
we're approaching jaden smith territory
>>
>>93652167
Its the only way we have anything interesting made. Could you imagine anime or stories without tragedy?
>>
>>93652167
A drawing can't feel, a fictional character can't feel

AI isn't at the point where it can actually be considered intelligent
>>
>>93652167
A good story will have suffering in it to contrast the happiness.
>>
>>93652250
Slice of life/Iyashikei/Comedy is shit and you know it.

>>93652253
To an almighty god that can create and destroy us on a whim we might as well be the same as the NPC's in a Simcity game.
>>
>>93650222
Well, Judaism for one doesn't believe in Hell. They believe unclean souls go to this giant washing machine called Gehenna before going to heaven (kind of like the Catholic concept of Purgatory). Irredeemable souls are simply destroyed and cease to exist.

The place of eternal fire and torture is something xtians pulled out of their asses, or ripped off from other religions.
>>
>>93652339
Because they don't have tragedy they have melodrama

TTGL is more of the scope I'm talking about. You know, the good stuff.
>>
>>93640990
Exodia
>>
>>93652339
No it'd be wrong to slaughter anything intelligent enough to seek higher meaning in its existence

sims can't do that, just going "well in comparison to something as powerful and all-knowing as god it's a similar power gap" doesn't mean anything
>>
>>93652395
>No it'd be wrong to slaughter anything intelligent
wrong. If it blasphemes it must be killed.
>>
>>93652395
>it'd be wrong to slaughter anything intelligent enough to seek higher meaning in its existence
Why?
Says who?
>>
>>93652443
Nobody has to be the authority and say it, it's more like an agreement.

We're all in the same shoes. We all know that nobody wants to die. We know what there is to lose. It's just wrong by all human moral standards.

If it's not evil to god, then at the very least- it's evil to us, and leaves us no room to revere him save for fear and servitude.
>>
>>93652479
Well I don't agree bitch.
>>
>>93645386
>Certainly the basis for the Exodus is historical fact

outside of the Bible’s stories, there is no record anywhere in history of this enslavement. No archaeological evidence was ever found.

Thousands of people wandering through the desert for 40 years? You’re gonna leave something behind. They didn't because it never happened.

The Egyptians left no record of it and the fact
that not a single artifact has been found that could be definitely linked to the biblical Exodus. If the parting sea, the burning bush, the plagues, etc. did happen, they appear to have left no traces.

There is NO way to confirm even, that the Israelites WERE slaves in Egypt. There is only one source for the story of enslavement or the Exodus: The Bible.
For many scholars, the silence of the Egyptians sources is telling. I personally would want two or three separate sources before I will believe what any ONE source says. And frankly, there is NO Egyptian written texts saying anything about the Exodus.

Some argue that the Egyptians simply would not record such an epic embarrassment. The Egyptians were meticulous bureaucrats and DID keep unflattering paperwork (papyrus scrolls).

There are Egyptian documents of many bad things happening in Egypt at the time, civil war, unrest, of foreign incursion, of people coming in and taking over Egypt. And yet you have NO evidence for this massive upheaval of the Pharaoh and the destruction of his entire army. You WOULD expect to find it! Looking at the Exodus through the lens of science, we know only a few hard facts.

The archaeological and historical records remain resolutely silent about these epic events. the only plausible reasons to not finding any evidence to the Exodus is that:

1. it did not happen the way the Bible says it did
OR,
2. it did not happen at all.

Unfortunately, The power of the Exodus story relies more of faith than on any scientific or historical evidence.
>>
>>93652479
>an agreement
Really now, because there is an awful lot of people killing and dying out there.

>We all know that nobody wants to die
Debatable

>It's just wrong by all human moral standards
That's just straight up dumb.
What constitutes "evil" fluctuates heavily between cultures, you are trying to force the entirety of humanity to adhere to what you think is evil. And you aren't even explaining why it is evil in the first place.
>>
>>93652495
Then that's your choice, all we can do is make choices.
>>
>>93652524
>Thousands of people wandering through the desert for 40 years? You’re gonna leave something behind.
Your deception has already had the curtain pulled from it here

>>93643319
>>
>>93652585
your choice ends in death by stone
>>
>>93639850
>Thread poorly veiled bait
>Still up
>>
>>93642402
That's the wrong context you retard
he doesn't harden his heart by force, but moses' presence along with this different god he's not used to will make pharoah harden his heart
>>
>>93652618
All choices eventually end in death, sometimes we just get to make more before it.
>>
>>93645997
so Egyptian pantheon is spider-man/batman?
>>
>>93652551
>there is an awful lot of people killing and dying out there
and it's seen as an aberration by any part of humanity that can be called modern civilization, lol

>Debatable
yeah not literally everyone, but the vast majority of mentally stable people would like to remain living as long as possible even if they do believe in a loving god.

>that's just straight up dumb and what constitutes as evil is different between cultures
find a sizable human culture that doesn't believe that it's wrong to kill another person unwillingly without just purpose

Sure, some people kill each other for bad reasons, but they don't believe they're bad reasons. The argument here seems to be that "god can kill whoever he wants or do anything with whoever he wants" but the reason one shouldn't want to kill is empathetic, not religious.

Most humans don't want to die. Humans suffer when they die and then they stop, something that can never be taken away and something that the vast majority of people don't want to do. From my point of view empathy is less about some vague spiritual idea of right or wrong and more about the suffering someone would experience as a result of your actions.

The thought of the fear I would experience as I slowly bled out is enough to make me incredibly uncomfortable with the idea of killing someone, even in defense-

assuming the law didn't exist, why wouldn't you kill?
>>
>>93652665
Most polytheistic pantheons are like that. Norse, Greek, Celtic all have more or less mortals that live forever and decide to fuck with the people that live under them at a whim.
>>
>>93639850
It didn't even happen, the Jews were just wanking themselves.

Cyrus made a huge mistake.
>>
>>93652758
why the greeks tolerated zeus (that cucker) i don't know.

jupiter's less of an ass right?
>>
>>93652815
It did.
>>93643319
>>93643293
>>
>>93639850
Because he's Voldemort.

Duh.
>>
>>93652840
They tolerated him because he had fucking lightning bolts anon and he was literally unbeatable to somebody that wasn't a god or divine. I have no idea about Jupiter, I mostly know about the Greek myths.
>>
>>93652848
Jews being in Egypt != large amounts of Jews being slaves. Egypt was the strongest, most widespread empire at one point, it makes complete sense for local cultures to have some influence. But the Jews as a large portion of the Egyptian's slaves, and then leaving without having a written record of the event? Not a chance. Exodus is a fabrication.

They'd have had a better case if the story was about the Babylonian exile, because at least you can't dispute that happened.
>>
>>93652933
the only thing i know about the greek-roman adaptation is they buffed ares into a more respectable god (mars) but screwed over artemis/diana.

i wonder if early christians pitched their religion to the romans/greeks as

"sure our God is stricter but he won't bang your wife while you're away."

i want to see the face of the preacher when someone points out the flaw in that logic
>>
File: 1425432850499.jpg (8KB, 240x250px) Image search: [Google]
1425432850499.jpg
8KB, 240x250px
>>93652751
So then, the original argument went
>it'd be wrong to slaughter anything intelligent enough to seek higher meaning in its existence
>Why?
>Says who?

And your answer is:
>Why?
>>My feels
>Says who
>>Me

Compelling.

>the suffering someone would experience as a result of your actions.
>Wouldn't even kill in self-defense
So you are a doormat too?
>>
He was kind of a dick.
>>
>>93653008
If your wife was ugly then Zeus probably wouldn't go near her. Unless he was hit by Cupid's arrows or it was dark out or she had a rocking bod and he could a bag over her head.

Also do you think it was painful for Mary to have to birth Jesus through her hymen?
>>
>>93653000
Plus, Pharoah had every chariot pursue the Hebrews. It all gets caught up in the reed sea. Most of them anyway. All of this would have been damaging to Egypt.
>>
>>93653106
wouldn't like to kill in self defense but i'd do it if it came to it

it's more like everyone's feels, you don't kill a person there's no reason to kill because you wouldn't want it done to you, pretty easy my friend
>>
>>93653156
that and zeus seems to like royalty.

people will talk if the king is cucked.
>>
>>93653158
Except there ARE chariots in the red sea you dingus.
>>
File: red-sea-gold-chariot-wheel.jpg (67KB, 600x311px) Image search: [Google]
red-sea-gold-chariot-wheel.jpg
67KB, 600x311px
>>93653237
>>
>>93653237
But, I said the REED sea.
>>
>>93653162
>everyone's feels
Not only is that not true, it also still amounts to muh feels.

>You don't do things you don't want people to do to you
Most people still do it anyway. From stealing to killing, for a variety of reasons.

And still none of this horseshit applies to an all powerful being who can do whatever he wants.
>>
>>93653265
>Most people kill because they feel like it and see no problem with killing

Hello?
>>
>>93653237
>there are chariots in a river that flooded every year
That's nice. Point out the specific economic evidence of the loss of some Pharaoh's entire chariot fleet in a single encounter, and line up what else we know about that Pharaoh to the specific details of Exodus.
>>
>>93653008
Wouldn't being a virgin birth preclude the entire affair (so to speak) from being sexual?
>>
>>93653281
Most people screw each other because they feel like it and see no problem with it, bullying is a clear example of this. They don't kill because they are afraid of the consequences.
Niggers kill each other for fun and see no problem with it.
>>
>>93653344
ok friend
>>
File: 1491272303065.jpg (27KB, 600x462px) Image search: [Google]
1491272303065.jpg
27KB, 600x462px
He's not? He's meant to represent mans nature. And a particular man, who is unyielding to the forces of nature (God).

It's a warning against hubris.
>>
>>93653297
I've got something better for your stupid ass. Filename.
>>
>>93653394
That does not appear to be an academic citation. Please try again.
>>
>>93653423
>m-m-m-m-muh authority
You appear to be singing the dying song of the BTFO
>>
File: 1498796348124.jpg (655KB, 1252x1252px) Image search: [Google]
1498796348124.jpg
655KB, 1252x1252px
>>93653423
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipuwer_Papyrus#Citations
>>
>>93653486
>>93653468
>The archeological evidence does not support the story of the Exodus, and most histories of ancient Israel no longer consider it relevant
Wonderful how informative citations are.
>>
>>93645696
>[citation needed]
>>
Man those jews are crafty. Be Ramses, the world gets devasted by plagues, famin, and war. You beat three huge invasions of the sea people. All the other great civilisation lay in ruins. But you are a benevolent ruler, you let the dudes you have beaten settle in Syria and Palestine... The jews write you did it because their God has beaten you... The Danas who were greek and were settled in palestine suddenly turn in to one of the jewish tribes, with fucking Samson being one of them. And you go WTF in your grave.
>>
>>93653307
maybe?

was her pregnancy storytime (consumated issue #11, gave birth issue #13) or real time (9 months)?
>>
>>93639850
his job is to mantain security and protect their way of living
if he tried to let the jews go he would probably be assasinated by his friends and replaced with someone who wouldnt
>>
File: god is real.jpg (186KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
god is real.jpg
186KB, 750x500px
>>93653518
>when your atheist religion based on the cult of nothing turns into dust before your eyes
>>
>>93653486
Am I not understanding your argument? Because it literally says right there that the Ipuwer papyrus contradicts several aspects of Exodus, and that the archaeological evidence does not support such an event taking place.
>>
>>93653606
What are you trying to prove here? That Semitic people were in Egypt, were affected by Egyptian culture, or that Exodus happened?
>>
>>93653468
Translation: The land was in great affliction. Evil fell on this earth ... It was a great upheav=al in the residence... nobody left the palace during nine days, and during these nine days of upheaval there was such a tempest that neither the men nor the gods could see the faces of their next.

and exodus 10:22-23
>and there was a thick darkness in all the land of Egypt three days: 23They saw not one another, neither rose any from his place for three days

Oops, God is real.
>>
>>93653552
Like how Britain ended slavery and now they get treated like the worst slavers in history by people too fucking dumb to know better?
>>
>>93653617
>contradicts several aspects of Exodus,
Like what? Exodus says three days and the papyrus say nine? WHOA MAN.
>>
>>93653699
If anything, thats not a contradiction at all. The Egyptians were too terrified to leave even after the plague ended.
>>
>>93653617
>Egyptian records mention a difficult period
>exodus portrays a difficult period
>therefore God
The details of both do not matter.
>>
>>93653699
>Like what?
I don't know, ask the wikipedia page you literally cited.

>The archeological evidence does not support the story of the Exodus, and most histories of ancient Israel no longer consider it relevant.[10][11] Nevertheless, Ipuwer has often put forward in popular literature as confirmation of the Biblical account, most notably because of its statement that "the river is blood" and its frequent references to servants running away. An extension of the same reading is the idea that both Ipuwer and the Book of Exodus are records of a volcanic eruption on the Aegean island of Thera. These arguments ignore the many points on which Ipuwer contradicts Exodus, such as the fact that its Asiatics are arriving in Egypt rather than leaving, and the likelihood that the "river is blood" phrase may refer to the red sediment colouring the Nile during disastrous floods, or may simply be a poetic image of turmoil.[12]

If you're trying to prove something, don't link to a page that says the exact opposite of what you're saying.
>>
>>93653699
It's not a contradiction, it's an inconsistency.
>>
>>93653764
It's not at all. The bible says the egyptians didn't move for 3 days. That's true. Undeniably.
>>
>>93639850
/co/ - Theology
>>
>>93653000

Jews have a 10000 year history of persecution complex, dont be surprised when they were a middling merchant class in Egypt and still went "oy vey, why do you persecute me so"
>>
>>93646487
Historically the depiction of God throughout the Bible is also part of the history of how gods and God and their relationship to one another were viewed when Judaism and Christianity were developing.

IIRC around Abraham's time the common idea was that a certain pantheon is only effective in a certain region and if you move to a new area you have to respect the gods that are effective in that region.
>>
>>93653761
>the likelihood that the "river is blood" phrase may refer to the red sediment colouring the Nile
This reeks of desperation to prop up your atheist religion because you can't accept facts.
>>
>>93653793
Alright, but >>93653736 pretty much summed it up.

>>93653804
I like it. Something you don't really get on /a/. Most of the time it's either this movie or Jack Chick. Shame Joseph doesn't get brought up as much, it literally shows those messed up dreams of cattle and wheat cannibalizing one another.
>>
>>93653844
In other words it was monolatristic. It was believed that many gods existed, but you only worship one.
>>
>>93653876
Again, it isn't me doing anything. Stop shitposting and accept the fact that you used a bad source to try and prove your point. You just did the equivalent of saying smoking is not linked to cancer, and then linking to a page that explicitly states smoking is linked to cancer.
>>
>>93640578
The implication was that God wanted Pharaoh to let the Israelites go because God said so, not because the Egyptian people were suffering.
>>
>>93647784
Would part of that be because of how the Quran is presented and structured as God's absolute word directly from his mouth?

The Bible is mostly narratives so it seems easier for modern Christians to think
>oh but that's how they did it back then things aren't like that now

Because the islamic empire/caliphates were so influential and wealthy for a time in the past, I have to imagine there were many muslim scholars throughout the centuries who perceived that the way the Quran is structured and its potential inflexibility might become a problem. But obviously they didn't get very far in changing anything on a larger scale.
>>
>>93653931
>it isn't me doing anything
yes it is. It is your deception from your keys. You pushed it.
>>
>>93653931
Its NOT a bad source.
It lays out clear similarities, the fact someone was entering rather than leaving while everything else is almost exactly on point doesn't throw his source into the garbage it.
The anon said there was NO proof and it DIDN'T happen. In response he got a mountain of evidence and played the "well we don't know if its reliable because of this sentence here" like a coward.
>>
>>93653943
Seriously. We could have an actual discussion here, or you can keep doing this apathetic irony that pervades the rest of 4chan. You wanted to provide proof for your argument, but you linked to something that doesn't agree with your conclusions. All I've done is point that out.

Now you can keep up this weird RP, or we can talk like actual people. It's up to you.
>>
>>93653903
>get btfo bible has accuracy too history and is referenced on both sides when the arguement was about there being absolutely NO evidence

We're not talking about the Bible in general, just the Book of Exodus. The argument is that there is no evidence. We're not saying that there were no Jewish people in Egypt, just that the Exodus didn't happen.
>>
>>93653983
>omething that doesn't agree with your conclusions.
BULLSHIT you fucking nigger it is event for event and you tried to PUSH THE DECEPTION that it's SEDIMENT and not BLOOD

WORTHLESS KIKE DECEIVER YOU WILL DIE LIKE A DOG
>>
>>93653876
Or it's just wordplay.
>>
>>93653998
>The argument is that there is no evidence
The papyrus you idiot. It is event for event.

There are MINOR differences you picky dumb nigger.
>>
>>93653972
It's a bad source because the source itself says that generally historians do not consider the papyrus as relevant, which is the exact opposite of what they were trying to say.

The flood myth in Judaism probably also has basis in the 5.9 kiloyear event, but that doesn't mean the way it is said in the Bible to have happened is actually the way it occurred. Likewise with exodus, it is quite possible some of the Canaanite people left, or that there was famine or pestilence. Perhaps some fleeing slaves were pursued, or what have you. That does not mean that there was a mass EXODUS of Israeli slaves from Egypt, something for which there has been no current archaeological evidence supporting.
>>
File: 1458131158505.png (65KB, 297x308px) Image search: [Google]
1458131158505.png
65KB, 297x308px
>>93653552
>sea people
who the fuck are the sea people
>>
>>93654030
THE SOURCE IS THE PAPYRUS
>>
File: (you).jpg (1MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
(you).jpg
1MB, 3840x2160px
>>93654006
Again, I don't know if you're trying to go for humor here, or an attempt at trolling or whatever, but this is a fairly serious thread. I'd like it if for once people on 4chan could drop this exhaustingly apathetic veil, drop the comments that are pure irony, and actually hold a real discussion. Other people in the thread are capable of it, why aren't you?
>>
>>93645944
Postmodernists need not apply
>>
>>93654034
Read;
Immanuel Velikovsky. Peoples of the Sea, Ages in Chaos
>>
>>93640990
Kek
>>
>>93654035
And that source is now considered irrelevant, at least according to the wikipedia page you (or some other anon) cited.

>The archeological evidence does not support the story of the Exodus, and most histories of ancient Israel no longer consider it relevant.[10][11]

If you want to ask why the person writing that thinks it's irrelevant, you can go click on those little numbers there and actually read the citations on the page you (or some other anon) linked instead of fuming to me in all-caps.
>>
>>93654019
In terms of mythology, those are notable differences. In terms of history, those are major differences. You still need to correlate this to a specific Pharaoh and show how his reign shows actual archeological evidence for the loss of a huge workforce, and correlate that to the age of the wood in the chariots.
>>
>>93654111
>And that source is now considered irrelevant,
According to (((historians))) because they claim it isn't possible for the river to be blood.
>>
>>93645749
>Islam says quite a lot about respecting strangers
At which exact points in the Quran? In the earlier half or in the last part near the back?

It matters because abrogation is not going to go away anytime soon
>>
>>93654119
Again, I'm simply not goignt o take you seriously when you're mouthing off buzzwords. Answer me only this: are you actually interested in having a discussion on this, or do you just want to shit post?
>>
>>93654146
I would kill you.
>>
>>93654130
You do realize that the Jews have the most to lose if Exodus proves to have no actual truth to it, right? It's one of the critical building blocks of their faith.
>>
>>93654146
The words are there, you're ignoring them because hes a meanie head boo hoo
>>
>>93654155
So, just want to shit post then. Thanks for the honest answer.
>>
>>93654175
I will stone you to death on camera and show the world what should be done with liars.

This isn't a shitpost.
>>
>>93654172
Not really. There are certain words that match, but many others that do not. To ignore the words that do not match and focus on the words that do, while ignoring supporting archeological evidence, is not a compelling argument.
>>
>>93654198
You're lying through your teeth and everyone knows it. Cite the differences.

Everyone will see you're playing a matching game with language rather than reading and understanding. The Exodus happened and you can't handle it. Your atheist faith is dead and buried.
>>
>>93654172
No, I'm ignoring him because the only thing they've said for at least 6 comments is "Kike", "atheist religion" and "deception".

They want to use the papyrus as an example of evidence for Exodus, but the page they cited explicitly says the current view on it is that it does not present evidence for exodus. They wanted to use Hieroglyphs appearing in Jewish temples as evidence for Exodus, but no one is denying that the Canaanites had contact with Egypt. They want to use some chariot wheels in the Red Sea as evidence for Exodus, but that alone does not prove it (and it isn't even unreasonable for there to be other reasons why Egyptian chariots might end up in the neighboring large body of water. I bet there are also chariots in the Mediterranean.
>>
>>93654220
>such as the fact that its Asiatics are arriving in Egypt rather than leaving
>>
>>93654184
Okay this has just gotten silly.
>>
File: 13_and_up.png (122KB, 364x364px) Image search: [Google]
13_and_up.png
122KB, 364x364px
>>93654195
edgeposting is concentrated shitposting
>>
>>93654248
Where? Cite it.
>>
File: 1497055981011.png (422KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1497055981011.png
422KB, 640x480px
>>93654195
It is in fact a shit post.
>>
>>93639862
The movie clearly deviates from the source, though. Ramses in the movie refuses because of his father's influence on him
>>
>>93649902
I'm convinced Christianity has a deeply embedded sub fetish if this is supposed to make sense.

Why not just judge things as neutral to start? Where the fuck is the sense in giving a creature a preset path to suffering/ what a poor sense of perfection or justice. Your god seems either malicious or incompetent as a judge.
>>
>>93654266
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipuwer_Papyrus

Bottom of the page.

>Ipuwer and the Book of Exodus[edit]
The archeological evidence does not support the story of the Exodus, and most histories of ancient Israel no longer consider it relevant.[10][11] Nevertheless, Ipuwer has often put forward in popular literature as confirmation of the Biblical account, most notably because of its statement that "the river is blood" and its frequent references to servants running away. An extension of the same reading is the idea that both Ipuwer and the Book of Exodus are records of a volcanic eruption on the Aegean island of Thera. These arguments ignore the many points on which Ipuwer contradicts Exodus, such as the fact that its Asiatics are arriving in Egypt rather than leaving, and the likelihood that the "river is blood" phrase may refer to the red sediment colouring the Nile during disastrous floods, or may simply be a poetic image of turmoil.[12]
>>
>>93654335
>>93654266
Specifically, the exact article in question can be found https://www.scribd.com/mobile/document/173168790/Roland-Enmarch-The-Reception-of-a-Middle-Egyptian-Poem-The-Dialogue-of-Ipuwer-and-the-Lord-of-All-in-the-Ramesside-Period-and-Beyond, page 174-175, if you are legitimately interested.
>>
>>93654328
It's not just Christianity. Judaism vaguely touches on it. It's in Isiah and you can see a transition from one to the other.
>>
>>93654246
It is evidence. There are two sides of this story.
This is the Egyptian side.

>Indeed, the river is blood, yet men drink of it.
>Indeed, men are few, and he who places his brother in the ground is everywhere.
>Indeed, the builders [of pyramids have become] cultivators, and those who were in the sacred bark are now yoked [to it].
(because the cultivators, the JEWS, left)
>Indeed, the hot-tempered man says: "If I knew where God is, then I would serve Him."
>Indeed, all animals, their hearts weep; cattle moan because of the state of the land.
Egypt was in total anarchy after the plagues.
>>
File: blonic.png (590KB, 1049x990px) Image search: [Google]
blonic.png
590KB, 1049x990px
>>93639850
He was a JERK
>>
>>93651201
The muslims have given sikhs a hard time, it's no wonder why so many escape to the west. Only to be confused with muslims because of their headwear, it's kind of funny.
>>
>>93654388
Here is an article. I'll point out just how deceptive these fucks are too.
http://www.ancient.eu/article/981/

>as history, the piece is meaningless because the 'history' it represents never happened.
>it's not history because it's not history
Slick, but these kike tactics no longer work.
OPINION PIECE
>>
>>93654359
Here's another that gets right to the point.

https://books.google.com/books?id=0QHHITXsyskC&pg=PA5&dq=%22nothing+has+been+recovered+that+relates+directly+to+the+account+in+Exodus%22&hl=en#v=onepage&q=%22nothing%20has%20been%20recovered%20that%20relates%20directly%20to%20the%20account%20in%20Exodus%22&f=false
>>
>>93654439
see
>>93654434
>>
>"...and I will execute my judgement against the gods of Egypt. I am the LORD."

What did he mean by that? Did he kill the entire Egyptian pantheon after the first borns?
>>
>>93654454
All polytheism gods are real. God says not to worship other Gods before him. Confirming them as real. Yours reinforces this. This has been covered earlier in the thread.
>>
>>93654388
All of that moves towards a period of strife, the elements of which are depicted in the Old Testament. What it isn't evidence of, is that
(1) those were the acts of a hostile god, nor
(2) is it evidence that 600,000 Jewish slaves, along with their families, left Egypt.
(1) is a matter of faith, and there is no archaeological evidence for (2), aka the "exodus" part of Exodus.
>>
>>93639862
fpbp
>>
>>93654482
>>Indeed, the builders [of pyramids have become] cultivators, and those who were in the sacred bark are now yoked [to it].
Jews were enslaved to be cultivators.
>>
>>93654482
Now you're just ignoring evidence, like always.
>>
>>93654500
That would work if the Pyramids were actually built by slaves, which they were not.

http://harvardmagazine.com/2003/07/who-built-the-pyramids-html
>>
>>93640192
I dunno, I feel like people forget that Jesus could get pretty angry at times (for a reason). He was kind, not a passive chill nice guy. The former is willing to speak the truth and flip a table to make a point, even if it'll hurt.
>>
>>93654532
I never said that. The jews were cultivators, not builders. the builders replaced the jews, who left.
>>
>>93654524
Feel free to point me to actual records that ~2 million people (almost half the total population of Egypt at the time) left Egypt en masse. Also feel free to point out to me evidence that there were large numbers (i.e hundreds of thousands) of Jewish slaves in Egypt at any point in time. So far as I know, there has been no archaeological evidence found to ever suggest either of those, and both are necessary for Exodus to actually have taken place.
>>
>>93654569
Indeed the builders of the pyramids became cultivators.

right there.
>>
>>93639850
WE
>>
>>93644225
WUZ
>>
>>93654579
>>93654548

And where is the evidence that large numbers (again, in the hundreds of thousands) of Jewish slaves made up a significant portion of Egyptian agricultural workers?

https://books.google.com/books?id=Qjkz_8EMoaUC&pg=PA81#v=onepage&q&f=false
>>
>>93654608
the evidence is the papyrus. the words of egyptians from antiquity.

all the builders, became cultivators. clearly a need for cultivators. a lot of them. suddenly.
>>
>>93654602
KUNGZ
>>
File: 1495654995990.png (131KB, 396x385px) Image search: [Google]
1495654995990.png
131KB, 396x385px
>>
>>93654616
Except, the Exodus Hebrews were largely builders of baked brick, not agricultural workers, and you have yet to show archeological evidence for that workforce (for example, a sudden decline in building power) correlated to the chariot wheels.
>>
>>93654616
Because a famine necessitated that, instead of erecting monuments and public works, more manpower needed to be put towards food production?

You're going to need more than a single line in a single papyrus to draw the conclusion that there were hundreds of thousands of enslaved Jews working the fields in Egypt. What about economic records, detailing the capture, trade, or purchase of slaves? Where are the records that would have been made in the wake of nearly 2 million people suddenly leaving an empire of at most 5 million people? Where is the evidence that those ~2 million slaves even existed?
>>
>>93654691
>Because a famine necessitated that
Why? Were the old cultivators not good enough?
>>
>>93654685
Citation needed
>>
>>93654616

http://www.biblearchaeology.org/post/2006/09/20/Debunking-The-Exodus-Decoded.aspx
>Jacobovici now calls on the Ipuwer Papyrus, which he believes provides evidence for a plague of “ice and fire mingled together.” The seventh plague of hail, he says, is volcanic hail induced by Santorini as described in the Ipuwer Papyrus. Again, we have a chronological problem. Although Jacobovici states that many scholars date the Ipuwer Papyrus to the Hyksos period, the fact of the matter is that most Egyptologists date it to the First Intermediate Period
>>
>>93654691
>2 million
Where did you get that number from?
>>
>>93654722
big ol nothing burger
>>
>>93654701
Because if you use 100 cultivators and they produced 100 units of food, but then some natural disaster (like a famine, or a pestilence) causes those 100 cultivators to produce 50 units of food, you are going to need more cultivators to make up for the lost food production. This happens all the time through out history. Declining food production necessitates that resources (especially man power) be diverted away from other matters and towards food production. I think it a far leap to say that one line stating that a fairly common occurrence in desperate times is itself evidence for a mass exodus of one particular group of people.
>>
>>93654707
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus+5
When speaking of the work of the Hebrews, Pharaoh speaks of brick quotas, not agricultural yield. The type of brick you make using straw, the withheld resource, is baked mudbrick.
>>
>>93654743
>if you use 100 cultivators and they produced 100 units of food
old macdonald over here

what the fuck is this?
>>
>>93654723
I got it from other historians in the various citations in this thread. They got it from extrapolating the line in the Bible that puts the number of Jewish men in Exodus as being ~600,000, as well as their families/children. The extrapolation takes into account the average number of women, children, and elderly that would not have been accounted among those 600,000 workers, and adds them to the number, getting approximately 2 million.
>>
>>93654754
You said they were largely brickbuilders

that wasn't true.
>>
>>93643333
That heart hardening bs ruined the whole fucking book and god's character
>>
>>93654757
It's a simplified example to illustrate a more complex situation, in which a decrease in food output would necessitate an increase in farmers (cultivators) to make up for it.
>>
>>93654775
ok then you're wrong.
>>
>>93654722
>>93654733
Okay, yeah. I should be going to sleep soon.

I think this is better. Part One:

>The danger in using this as a parallel to Exodus is that we can find similar descriptions of Egypt in other sources from other periods. Many of them are part of a larger genre depicting reversals of fortune in city/national laments that we can find in Egypt, Mesopotamia and Israel. Note these examples:

The Prophecies of Neferti (Lichtheim, p 143)
I show the land in turmoil
The weak-armed is strong armed...
Men will live the graveyard,
the beggar will gain riches,
The great [will rob] to live
the poor will eat bread,
the slave will be exalted.

The Curse of Agade in Mesopotamia[xvii]
That the kingdom of Agade would no longer occupy a good lasting residence,
That its future was altogether unfavorable,
That its temples would be shaken and their stores scattered
That is what Naram Sin saw in a dream...
Naram Sin was immobile for seven years.

Lamentations 3:1-6
[1] I am the man who has seen affliction
under the rod of his wrath;
[2] he has driven and brought me
into darkness without any light;
[3] surely against me he turns his hand
again and again the whole day long.
[4] He has made my flesh and my skin waste away,
and broken my bones;
[5] he has besieged and enveloped me
with bitterness and tribulation;
[6] he has made me dwell in darkness
like the dead of long ago.
>>
>>93654777
My apologies. The only "evidence" we have for their works was brick-building, and anything else is wild speculation.
>>
>>93654800
Part two:

n the Prophecy of Neferti, which is set in the reign of Amenemhet I (1991-1962 BCE), and so before the time of Joseph by Rohl’s own chronology, we see slaves exalted and the land in turmoil.
In the biblical book of Lamentations, we have descriptions that can parallel some sort of plague or famine (my flesh and my skin waste away), and there is a reference to darkness (compare the plague of darkness in Exodus 10:21-29).
The Curse of Agade, a Mesopotamian composition dated to about 2000 BCE, features a king who dreams of an impending famine, and includes the number 7 as part of its narrative. In Genesis 41, we have a king who dreams of seven years of famine (see 41:27).
Indeed, almost every feature one finds in Ipuwer can be found separately or together in these types of national/communal laments. They need not be eyewitness reports, even if they may be based on real events.
And why does it not occur to Rohl that the author of Exodus may be borrowing or adapting stereotypical descriptions from the Curse of Agade and Ipuwer, among other sources, for predominantly literary, not historical, reasons?
After all, Rohl admits: “But if, like me, you see the story of Exodus as a literary work based on historical events...” (Exodus, p. 154).

From: http://www.debunking-christianity.com/2016/01/patterns-of-poor-research-critique-of.html
>>
>>93654791
If the cultivators are on the land. builders wouldn't need to work that land.

They had a need to be filled.
When you add this to the huge death toll, and less mouths to feed, your story doesn't make sense.
>>
>>93654797
Explain how. Have you run the numbers, and produced a different result? Or do you have a different interpretation of the 600,00 number?
>>
>>93654800
>>93654815
So it's not true because a man prophesied it?

That's the opposite. It's specifically true and the man predicted it.
>>
>>93654821
I didn't run any numbers. You're just wrong.

They spent 300 years in a tabernacle. You're running numbers over 300 years. I don't care what your deception is, it's wrong.
>>
>>93654819
Not if those same cultivators are producing a lessened output than what they normally produce. If you keep the same number of farmers on the fields, but their yields are drastically reduced, you are going to have starvation. In that case, you need to turn a part of your remaining labor force over to food production, i.e. builders becoming farmers.

What you're doing is taking a line (we needed more farmers, so builders became farmers) and drawing a conclusion (they needed farmers because the previous farmers left) and then denying that there could exist any other reason why more farmers would be needed.

You're right, there was a need to be filled. More farmers needed to work the land. The cause of that is speculation, because it is a single sentence in a single papyrus that is detailing general effects of a dire time period. None of it provides concrete proof of a mass exodus of workers ( and it is debatable if those workers even existed in that capacity), and there are other potential reasons for an increase in farmers, such as a pestilence.

The amount of people who would need to die off to reach equilibrium with a drastically reduced food supply would be enormous, and would take time. In the meanwhile, food production would take center stage to try to stymie the starvation.
>>
>>93654891
>If you keep the same number of farmers on the fields, but their yields are drastically reduced,
doesn't matter

you don't add bodies in a field. especially not when you have less yield. the farmers can do their jobs without builders... unless the farmers are gone.
>>
>>93654821
with agriculture at the time of Ramzes the second and his father and grandfather, egypt would not have been able to support a 2 mil population. And aside for the jews there were also egyptions and other people in Egypt.
>>
>>93654891
>The amount of people who would need to die off to reach equilibrium with a drastically reduced food supply would be enormous
plagues and rivers of blood will do that.

The egyptians said evil swept the land.

you're done.
>>
>>93654846
Exodus 12:37
>The Israelites journeyed from Rameses to Sukkoth. There were about six hundred thousand men on foot, besides women and children.

The men on foot do not include the women or the children, and most likely not the elderly either. So the 2 million comes from the (biblically stated) 600,000, in addition to the likely number of women, children and elderly that would have accompanied them.

>deception
Again with this shit? Are you capable of talking like a normal human being?
>>
>>93654891
Hoooly shit anon
They have LESS yield because of disaster. WHYY would they need more people picking this drastically reduced crop? Connect the dots senpai
>>
>>93654910
Plus there was limited number of land that could work as fields. they had a draught in the whole world at that time, they couldn't just add more fields and more workers to make more food.
>>
>>93640067
To be even more specific, each plague was targeted at a specific Egyptian God/goddess to prove just how powerless each one was before Gawd
>>
>>93654929
First of all, They spent 300 years in a tabernacle.
Second of all, you can have a huge population boom in less than 20 years.
>>
File: 1466774218540.jpg (174KB, 1533x961px) Image search: [Google]
1466774218540.jpg
174KB, 1533x961px
>>93654891
>more people on the farm means more crops magically
>>
>>93654955
yeah only you have sources out side of the bible from those times. writen ones. And if the plagues were directed at egypt, then God was using a shotgun to spread them, because draught, earthquakes happened in the whole middle east and the whole midetirenian sea area. when jews "exited" Egypt, all the great civilisations of that time fell. And what followed was 200 years of dark ages, to a point where some civilisations never recovered and half of them lost the ability to write stuff.
>>
>>93654910
>>93654939

You have less yield, but the same need for food (or lessened, but not an equilibrium state, because, again, the die off for that equilibrium to be reached would be enormous).

So you need to increase your yield. What do you do, if you need to increase you crop yield? You provide more space for crops to be cultivated. But if you have more space now dedicated to crop production, you need more people to work that additional space. But you do not have a sudden population boom, what with famine and all, so what do you do? You move more people from other labor sectors into food production. This is basic macroeconomic shit.

>>93654922
>Rivers of blood
>Evil swept the land
Wow, poetic phrases. This is proof of what, exactly? Because if you found a phrase in an ancient passage stating "the sky was fire", do you take that as literal as possible, and assume that every air molecule suddenly burst into flame?

Here's how this always happens. Some natural disaster (or man made disaster) causes a massive drop in food production. After that, people will slowly die off until a new equilibrium is reached in which food production matches demand. Food sources are destroyed far quicker than people die, so for enough people to die quick enough where you would not have to try and increase your food yield following a large decrease in it would be akin to localized extinction-level event.
>>
>>93655020
>You provide more space for crops
away from the nile?

I don't think you know what you're talking about
>>
>>93655020
>produce more crop we don't have because of a fucking disaster for our dwindling population after a massive death toll
anon pls
>>
>>93655026
Do you mean to tell me that Egypt was at 100% food production and land usage efficiency?

This is basic shit. Your Empire is no longer producing enough food for your people. How do you increase food production?
>>
>>93655020
>rivers of blood
In Nile, before the damn were build, sometimes if stuff went wrong you got heavy oxidised sludge instead of the good stuff. This kills fishs, and is very bad for agriculture. Because of all the iron particles in the sludge carried by water, it does in deed look a bit like blood.
>>
>>93655049
They were working with the best they had because the nile was everything. You only have so much possible farmland along the nile.
>>
>>93655060
That's you explaining it away. Gonna need evidence it was not blood.

The Bible says it's blood. They say it's blood. You're the guy making wild speculation.
>>
>>93655045
Destruction of food sources always, and I mean always, outpaces death rate in cases of famine. Humans linger for a while, and subsist on the dirtiest of scraps. A field doesn't have that ability. So yes, you as an empire would try to produce more crop to meet the needs of your population, because the famine has likely outpaced the deaths.
>>
>>93655060
Right, and a sky of fire could mean a volcanic eruption. Poetic phrases are not concrete proof of anything and can only maybe support actual hard evidence.
>>
>>93655084
More people on the farm doesn't equal more crop.
Basic fucking shit man. You have to consider seed stock, available farmland, ect ect. both limited things in ancient times.
>>
>>93655062
Yes, and I would bet you anything that they were not using all of it. I would also bet you that they were willing during a famine to broaden the scope of their agriculture to find anything that would work ,even if it didn't follow the Nile.
>>
>>93655099
>>93655020
>Because if you found a phrase in an ancient passage stating "the sky was fire"
>a sky of fire could mean a volcanic eruption

You can shut the fuck up about stupid shit. We're discussing the bible. Not your Naruto fanfic. Fuck off.
>>
>>93655116
>I would bet you anything
Kiss my feet.
>>
>>93655116
Except, they had MORE people BEFORE they had the disaster and less people AFTER the disaster.
Why the FUCK would you need to get more inconvenient farmland when you have LESS people? Youre better off concentrating on the best lands and filling them up with as much grain as possible not thinning it out to unfavorable conditions.
>>
>>93655104
Please fucking point to where I said that the solution is to put more people on already existing farms. Because I never said that.

Certainly, you would need to replace any workers who where dying off during a famine, but that isn't going to increase your yields enough. You need to increase the land available for farming. Yes you also need to seed stock to begin the farms, but any actual civilization is going to have stores of those things exactly for a time like a famine.

The fact of the matter is that people are going to die off from starvation, but you can also generally assume the affected people are going to act in any and every manner possible to increase their amounts of food. That includes the people who were formally builders.
>>
>>93655116
>Yes, and I would bet you anything that they were not using all of it. I
Well, thats just an embarrassingly wrong statement.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/17/Ancient_Egypt_map-en.svg
>>
>>93655121
Are allegorical phrases in the Bible somehow different from any other allegorical phrase? No? They're both used in the same way, right?
>>
>>93655146
>you would need to replace any workers who where dying off during a famine
Farmers leave to workable land. Exodus.
>>
>>93655157
It's not allegory.
>>
>>93655072
yeah, only why you do not get evidance in any writen material from ramzes time about rivers of blood, aside for his grandfathers won sea battle in the nile delta, we do have writen sources about the iron sludge. heck it happens even today in the rene region sometimes.

>>93655121
why do you think that the bible is about "magic" ?
>>
File: 1473522542604.jpg (16KB, 236x248px) Image search: [Google]
1473522542604.jpg
16KB, 236x248px
>>93655152
top kek
>>
>>93655142
Because there were not fewer people but more. The minoians and Cyprians, the Hettit empire was just being destroyed and there was a ton of people collectivly called the sea people trying to get in to the last working country in the world.
>>
>>93655197
>trying to get in
and a war fought keeping them out
>>
>>93655142
You mean people died during a famine? Holy fucking shit, tell the press!

And why, pray tell, do people die during a famine? That's right, starvation. And what causes starvation? Lack of food! Food sources are destroyed much quicker the people die off. Now, if left it's own devices, a famine will eventually cause a die off to the point at which the food can support the remaining population. That's called equilibrium. However, people don't LIKE dying off, and rulers don't LIKE having their work forces die off, so what do they do? They try to increase the amount of food to bring that equilibrium to a higher point than it naturally would have been.

>You're better off concentrating on the best lands and filling them up with as much grain as possible not thinning it out to unfavorable conditions.
You can also do that, it depends on the situation. That still supports the point in that there would obviously need to be an effort to increase food yield in times of famine, and any effort to increase food yield will necessitate an increase in the work force.
>>
>>93655197
Thats.. Well after the plagues anon.
>>
>>93655210
yeah, the first two waves. the third and fourth Ramzes settled in Syria, including the Habiru and the Dors, and the Sheklesh. But some stayed. The syrian copper smiths for example.
>>
>>93655213
So you admit God brought the plagues.

Now you have to realize farmers don't die, they leave. which is why the builders took their place.
>>
>>93655169
So the River of Blood was a literal river of blood? And the evidence for this is?
>>
>>93655219
Only the archeological data from that time shows earthquake deaths, violent deaths, drowning, under nurshiment, but no traces of disease.
>>
>>93655152
>https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/17/Ancient_Egypt_map-en.svg

That proves jack shit. Do you have evidence that 100% of all farmable land along the Nile was being used at 100% efficiency? Because that is what would be required to not be able to increase food production along the Nile. A map showing the placements of towns and cities along the Nile does not do that.
>>
>>93655234
that depends on what litteral means for the contemporary people. Imagine this. You have something that has the color of blood, is a liquid and because of its high iron also tastes kind of a like blood. Then you have 600 years before that guys that saw it learn to write down their own history. So is is blood or not?
>>
>>93655228
Please quote me in where I say that God brought the plagues, because that is nowhere in there.

And are you now claiming that farmers are immortal? Or that they will abandon their fields and strike out en masse into the desert to try to find more workable land?
>>
>>93655253
>Do you have evidence that 100% of all farmable land along the Nile was being used at 100% efficiency?
Yes.

They planned their entire society around the ritualistic flooding of the nile, you could set a calendar to.
>>
>>93655263
If you have a river, and it is turned red by sludge with high iron content, and you call it a river of blood because that is the closest thing you have in your recollection to describe it, than it is allegorical. It could be that you believe it to be blood, but that does not actually make it blood. Just like how you can believe, with all your heart, that a bolt of lightning is result of the wrath of your storm god, but that does not make it so.

The problem is people in modern times, who have access to all of the current products of science, claiming that a "river of blood" was a literal river of blood and not a river filled with red iron heavy sludge.
>>
>>93655294
That shows that the river was essential to their lives (a literal child could tell you that). That doesn't mean that they were at 100% production efficiency.
>>
>>93655319
They worship the nile as a god. Every bit of land flooded by it was a gift

that's how you have cities up and down the river. because they were using every bit of it and prospering.
>>
>>93655329
Using as much of it as they needed to support their current state, and any growth that occurred, is not the same as saying that they had reached complete production capacity.
>>
>>93655350
They TRADED anon, it wasn't just for their own mouths they farmed to TRADE as well. They would have wanted a crop to yield MORE then they could eat. Come on.
>>
>>93655359
Yes, I'm aware of that, that's included in "current state".

I'm being an ass about this because 100% percent (or say, 99%) production capacity needs to be proven through records, not general ideas of Egyptian society or assumptions about how they would have acted towards their resources. And I'm asking for proof of 100% production capacity because that's the only way in which farm yields could not be increased in times of famine.
>>
>>93639850

Um, you mean BESIDES the fact he planned on throwing babies to Nile crocodiles so they could be eaten alive just to keep his power over a slave race? Don't ask fucking stupid questions OP

Not that any of this matters. Religion is bullshit and only ignorant people waste time debating it...as evident in this thread. All because none of you can accept the simple fact you have no soul, you're just the product of an advanced brain that was lucky to gain TONS of energy (through cooking) for millions of years. And the process of dying will be no different than the millions of years you were not alive.
>>
>>93655400
So they had far more land than they needed to feed their populations, but during a famine they need more land all of the sudden? Your logic is brilliantly flawed i must say. You are really desperate to win this argument you've lost long ago, aren't you?
>>
File: 1493790930091.jpg (68KB, 526x400px) Image search: [Google]
1493790930091.jpg
68KB, 526x400px
>>93655455
>[LARPs harder]
>>
File: autistic preaching.png (90KB, 419x391px) Image search: [Google]
autistic preaching.png
90KB, 419x391px
>>93655455
>>
A fundamental flaw in some arguements here is failing to realizes God's position in this. When he does something that you with your life experience judge as bad you are wrong. The whole point of having an omnipotent creator representing good literally makes all his actions higher than yours. It is a shitty brickwall when arguing against him but it follows the books logic.
>>
>>93639928

>Omniscient being
>Can't foresee the actions of humans he created

Really activates the ol' almonds.
>>
>>93655887
lol
>>
>>93656061
Might =/= right.
>>
Do you guys think theres something out there? Im forever hopeful that theres some kind of god instead of endless nothingness, keeps me going.

I dont even know who or what i pray to, i just want happiness and something to cling onto
Thread posts: 546
Thread images: 49

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.