[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this still the best version of the character?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7

File: DocOkt.jpg (1MB, 1527x1806px) Image search: [Google]
DocOkt.jpg
1MB, 1527x1806px
Is this still the best version of the character?
>>
>>93634738
That's not SpOc
>>
>Tentacles are AI controlled and talk him into being evil.

It was never the best version.
>>
>>93634757
>Slott self insert
>best

>>93634763
I'm pretty sure it may have had something to do with his life being in shambles.
>>
>>93634738
Aesthetically yes, Molina is just perfect. As characterization is questionable, but still, Raimi DocOck still leaves an impression.
>>
>>93634738
Probably not the best as character portrayal goes, but it was impressive both visually and as an actor's interpretation.

>>93634763
Bullshit.
>>
it's baffles me how we can get a villain this good in 2000fucking4 but now in 2017 we have shit like generic elf villain from thor 2 and lex jr from batman v superman.

where did it all go so wrong?
>>
>>93634738
This was.
>>
>>93634934
superhero movies shifted more from villain driven narratives to protagonist driven narratives
>>
>>93634934
Because this was a one-off, self contained story. Everything these days is too focused on setting up a multiverse and trying to dangle the "true" villain that the audience wants to implore them to keep watching.
>>
I feel like he would have made a much better first movie villain, especially given the way he and Peter's relationship develops over the course of the movie.

The way he goes out at the end really could have enforced Uncle Ben's classic power and responsibility lesson and I think it would have been much better as a catalyst for Peter deciding to become Spider-Man instead of the whole "I don't really wanna be Spider-Man any more" thing they went with. The bit at the end about using your gifts to better mankind would have tied in really well.

Shit, they could have even had Peter be his protege or something, kind of like how they did with Lizard in the first Amazing Spider-Man movie.
>>
>>93635000
While I partially agree that he'd make a better first movie villain, I think making him a part of the origin story would ruin what makes Spiderman 2 so good. Spiderman 2 works because it makes you FEEL the weight that Peter has to carry. You're there with him, so you can understand why he'd want to be rid of it.
>>
>>93634787
>I'm pretty sure it may have had something to do with his life being in shambles.
fuck no, he clearly says that the chip that gets broken was to keep the tentacles under control and not viceversa
>>
>>
>>93634738
Otto Octavious wasn't even Doctor Octopus, the tentacles were Doctor Octopus and Otto was just their puppet due to a chip malfunction. They used his grief to take him over.

At the end Otto used his willpower and good nature to reason with them.
>>
>>93635330
>They used his grief to take him over.
It was stated that they could take him over anyway without his special computer chip.
>>
>>93635240
This Otto was too damn muscled.
>>
>>93635240

I thought it was cool as fuck when he was revealed to be a mutant and had been controlling the tentacles with his ability to move metal. And then he pulled together makeshift tentacles from scrap metal even though he could have just thrown it like Magneto, just because he had a preference for the tentacles
>>
>>93634763
You.... actually believed they were talking to him?
>>
>>93635963
he was fucking talking to them each 5 minutes
>>
>>93635979
Sure. I can talk to my hand too. Doesn't mean they talk back.
>>
>>93636022
well he at least believed that shit was talking back.
>>
>>93636042
Yes that's the point. It's called losing your mind and being batshit crazy.
>>
File: tenzin THIS.jpg (30KB, 500x362px)
tenzin THIS.jpg
30KB, 500x362px
>>93636129
>>
>>93636022
They started screeching at the idea of helping Peter destroy the energy thing, how were they not somewhat alive
>>
>>93635000

I have to disagree. While I think it's a great idea, Ock is a pretty sympathetic character in the movies. Peter needs to encounter true evil - i.e. Green Goblin - as his first enemy, before there's a more nuanced story later.

Otherwise. the Doc's character arc wouldn't have had the screentime it needed.
>>
>>93636129

Yeah, I never thought they were actually communicating with him. I just thought he'd gone insane from grief.
>>
>>93636129
>>93636184
>>93636388
Again, they literally explained that the tentacles can take over his mind.
It would have been a nice catch if everything was just in his mind, but the movie didn't give any room for interpretations in this regard.
>>
>>93634738
FUCK NO!

The real Doc-Oc was a narcissist egomaniac who wanted to make the world pay for not recognizing his genius.

People give Sam Rami far too much credit for these movies even though he completely butchered nearly every single character.

Don't even get me started on what he did to Peter Parker. That was just sad.
>>
>>93636742

Wasn't he a pretty alright scientist until he got brain damage?
>>
>>93634944
Dubs of truth.
>>
>>93634944
Treachery!
>>
>>93637671
TRRRECHERRRYYY!
>>
>>93634959
How was Spider-man 2 not protagonist driven?
>>
>He has robot tentacles! Somehow, our guns are useless!

Yeah okay then
>>
>>93636742
Rami's Otto was a bit of egomaniac too. After his experiment failed the first time he considered wether Peter was right about him miscalculating. Otto immediately drops that notion one second later. Only at the end, when he sacrifices himself, does he realize that Peter was right.
>>
>>93638439
I've seen stories where Doc Ock programed his tentacles to be fast enough to protect him from gunfire.
>>
>>93638439
I remember Otto had a force field at one point. Besides that the answer is suspension of disbelief.
>>
File: Frankie Joker.jpg (18KB, 236x466px) Image search: [Google]
Frankie Joker.jpg
18KB, 236x466px
>>93635000
Originally he was going to be a third villain that wanted to kill Norman in the first movie.

But Raimi dropped him saying he did not want to turn his movie into Batman.

It was a good call. The later Spider-Man movies crammed a shitload of villains into them and they were a mess.
>>
File: Superior Doctor Octopus SSM.jpg (85KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Superior Doctor Octopus SSM.jpg
85KB, 1200x1200px
I kind of dig the current Doc, just wish the book was better
>>
Why did they make modern Oc into a Spider clone anyway? Did he need to be a clone? He usually did really well against Spider-Man in just about every fight already since the 60's.

And I already think there are way too many spiders roaming around, now the established villains are being remade into even more spiders.

Didn't like Gargan as Venom eithre
>>
>>93639606
You know how the Flash has about 15 evil speedsters as villains, besides his other villains? Marvel wants that.
>>
Controversial opinion inbound. Don't look under the spoiler if you're easy to upset.
Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon's Doc Ock was cool.
One of the few redeeming qualities of that garbage show for sure.
>>
File: Superior Doc Ock.jpg (217KB, 914x1400px) Image search: [Google]
Superior Doc Ock.jpg
217KB, 914x1400px
>>93639606
Really I think it was just Slott trying to push Otto as Peters greatest foe and tweaking him into the "dark reflection" of Peter. Which in a sense Otto already was, representing what Parker would have become had he remained an antisocial prick who focused on science. Personally Im fine with it considering hes back to the octopus theme, and hes not a true clone either considering his own DNA is mixed in.
>>
>>93639578
I wonder how he's going to get fat and short again.
>>
>>93639693
>Otto went from been Peter to been Peter and his own mixed DNA child
>Probably still wants to fuck a midget
Still a Slott self insert.
>>
>>93639693
he should start getting a gut again because octavius just can't say no to that second burger.
>>
>>93639730
>>93639773
Doubt hes going to get short again but the belly is inevitable. Otto loves his sweets and hes a lazy fuck who lets his mechanical arms do nearly everything. Peter even said he had to drop a couple pounds after Otto was at the wheel
>>
>>93639656
Yea the speedster thing in DC is insane, and since each one of them has the ability to kill off the entire hero community and/or destroy time on a whim it makes one wonder how in the hell DC earth is not a total apocalyptic nightmare now
>>
>>93636663
Not really. The lightbulb thing is what he explained that let him control it. He can control it anyhow, but he's bonded with them forever.

I thought they were alive when he was a kid, now that I know better, I know that he's insane with Greif.
>>
>>93635240
>that Movie costume in the Hollywood arc
>kidnapping and torturing Peter on that plane
>taking Osborn's place in the clone saga
>only villain who decides his hate boner for Peter isn't worth it
>that last fight with Osborn.
Ultimate Otto was fucking great
>>
>>93634738
Do people even care about Octopus enough to go "NOT MUH" at this version ?
>>
>>93639693
Ehh...they've done that plenty of times already

>Scorpion was evil bug man
>Venom was evil spider guy
>Kaine was evil Peter
>Doppleganger was 90's extreme evil Spiderman
>Tarantula is evil ninja Spider guy
>Sipidercide...is a thing that exists
Then you have all the other versions like the other people that wore the Venom suit, the other Tarantulas, at least two more Scorpions, and clones

he has had enough "Dark Reflections" already, why not just have some villains that are not the mirror image of him over and over again.
>>
>>93640065
I used to like Doc Ock before Slott ruined him for me.
He wasn't my favourite Spider-Man villain, but he was pretty good.
>>
>>93640065
No. But they do it anyway.
Everytime someone brings up Raimi's Spider-Man there is always someone who complains about them with "not muh" as their main argument. Mostly whenever there's a discussion on the lack of web shooters and Peter's character.
>>
>>93639693
But he was the standard mad scientist character that built robots and earthquake machines. He just happened to have a former failed experiment welded to his spine that made him a decent fight when Spider-Man made it through his traps and robot guards.

Why does the mad scientist villain need to be an evil opposite backflipping ninja too?
>>
>>93639675
I agree. Tom Kenny was great as Otto.
>>
>people misunderstanding basic id, ego, superego allegory
I'm embarrassed to share a board with you mouthbreathers
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.