[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did /co/ have such a hate boner for this show? Most people

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 14

File: image.jpg (121KB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
121KB, 1136x640px
Why did /co/ have such a hate boner for this show? Most people said it was because of lolrandumXD shit but I only saw that in season 5
>>
>>93626760
I loved it, top 5 cartoon of the decade so far.
>>
>>93626760
Tell me, should I watch it? What episodes do you reccomend? I've been curious since I saw a clip where the Melvins had a cameo.
>>
>>93626760
It was hit or miss by episode for me. I think my favorite parts were the visual gags.
>>
>>93626760
Season 5? You didnt watch the promo when he killed weird bugs while calling it fishing? It only more random when you put the context

I liked the show btw
>>
>>93626760
>I only saw [lolrandumXD shit] in season 5
Seriously, though. I've been an avid fan since the very beginning, but the show really tanked in the final episodes last month. I recently watched an older episode ("Driver's Test") and found that one way more amusing with both the visual gags and the overall comedic timing. Nick Edwards was a mistake
>>
>>93626806
>Moustache Cream*
>Nickname*
>Driver's Test*
>Leg Wrestle*
>More Uncle Grandpa Shorts
>Bad Morning

>The History of Wrestling
>Aunt Grandma*
>Internet Troll
>Not Funny
>Dog Day
>Uncle Zombie

>Ballin'*
>Big Trouble for Tiny Miracle*
>Ballroom*

*most heavily recommended
>>
>>93626981
The only episodes I didn't like last month were the last two. What a shitty finale.
>>
File: Pete Browngardt's Instagram.png (934KB, 752x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Pete Browngardt's Instagram.png
934KB, 752x1280px
>>93627083
It looked like the crew had fun making it. I think it's kinda cool how they just went crazy and let everyone jump in to add a little something to an episode of loosely connected segments.

But I'll admit that I didn't enjoy it. Throughout the show's run, I kept finding myself asking, "What the hell was the UG Crew thinking when making this episode? What was their reason for executing a gag this way?" instead of just enjoying the cartoon insanity.

What UG lacked in most episodes was comedic timing; it should've taken some notes from WOY and the Mickey Mouse Shorts.
>>
>>93627211
I think they had comedic timing, they just had odd ideas. I only got mad when the characters acted out of character or something in the story seemed rushed. They made lots of odd decisions.
>>
>>93627320
>They made lots of odd decisions
See, that was the issue with most of the episodes. If the writing ends up being more questionable than funny, you're doing slapstick wrong.
>>93627211
I think we can all agree that WOY, Gumball, and the Mickey Mouse Shorts are the best modern examples of slapstick cartoon comedy done consistently well. It wish we could've gotten a board artist from WOY or Mickey Mouse to do a guest episode on the show beyond just David Gemmill.
>>
File: 161027214156432.png (350KB, 1061x731px) Image search: [Google]
161027214156432.png
350KB, 1061x731px
Because /co/ hates America.
>>
>>93627083
At least we got an ending to the Aunt Grandma storyline. That's all I was worried about.
>>
>>93627430
Wander and Gumball have questionable episodes too. Just not to the extent of UG. I still find UG one of the best cartoon shows of the decade though. Mickey Mouse is just kino though.
>>
I've noticed that there's some Rick and Morty overlap with the staff: Justin Roiland and boarder Myke Chilian go way back, R&M writer Tom Kauffman co-wrote episode outlines with Kelsey Abbott for late season 1 and early season 2, and Wade Randolph (who co-wrote Anatomy Park and Raising Gazorpazorp with Eric Acosta) took his place for the rest of season 2 and all of season 3
>>
I fucking hate it because of "good morning"
that shit annoys the fuck out of me, and thats the fucking point, to annoy the fuck out of people. why? its not funny at all, and yet he constantly is fucking saying it all the god damn mother fucking time.
which sucks, cause i love uncle gus, and pizza steve is cool, but fuck, i cannot stand good morning.
>>
File: by megamotokaki.png (437KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
by megamotokaki.png
437KB, 1000x1000px
>>93627526
Yeah. That's always been an interesting connection. What was the final ingredient that UG was missing? Roiland's level of insanity or Harmon's nihilism.
>>
>>93627563
You sound like my mother lmao.

>>93627501
Not really, they lingered on that censorship machine on the end like it was important.

One problem I had with the end of the series is that it felt like lore/a story was beginning to be built up. Especially with all the character development and Aunt Grandma becoming more of a threat.
>>
File: shower party.jpg (48KB, 619x755px) Image search: [Google]
shower party.jpg
48KB, 619x755px
>>93627563
I never found the catchphrase jarring or annoying. You get used to it. And, yeah; Mr. Gus will forever go down as one of the greatest cartoon characters of all time.
>>
>>93627617
There's a possibility that they might've had bigger plans for lore that was just cut short due to the random cancellation, but then again, that was never the show's style. I can still respect that they kept it simple and stuck with episodic ideas.
>>
>>93627644
Reminder that he's the reason this even happened.
>>
>>93627688
Me too, just felt like the show never reached it's proper conclusion.
>>
>Season 5 episodes that have both Casey Alexander and Ryan Kramer as supervising director (and thus presumably come after the eps that only have Casey as director but before the eps that only have Kramer)
Transitional Phase
Anger Management
Pizza Steve's Past
Date with Gus
Uncle Grandpa: The Highschool Years

>Episodes with only Ryan Kramer as director
Odd-ysey
Surprise Party
Late Night Good Morning with Uncle Grandpa
Diggin a Hole
Uncle Greedpa
High Dive
Broken Boogie
Uncle Grandpa's Uncle Grandpa
Tiny Miracle's Tiny Miracle
Exquisite Grandpa
>>
>>93627810
Why do you insist on doing this to yourself? Stop listing these off.
>>
File: by Charlotte Jackson.jpg (169KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
by Charlotte Jackson.jpg
169KB, 1200x900px
>>93627563
At least Uncle G wasn't as insufferable of a protagonist as Billy Dilley
>>
>>93627043
Thank you. I'll take the time to watch some.
>>
I'm a slut for fourth wall breaks
>>
File: in the clouds.png (243KB, 554x542px) Image search: [Google]
in the clouds.png
243KB, 554x542px
>>93627563
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpaQeoSaFCs
>>
Because the entire show is just pure, concentrated "LOL SO RANDUMB ECKS DEE"

and a lot of us grew out of that kind of thing when we were teenagers.
>>
>>93628771
Having random humor wasn't so much of the problem as was the lack of sharp comedic timing.
>>93627430
>I think we can all agree that WOY, Gumball, and the Mickey Mouse Shorts are the best modern examples of slapstick cartoon comedy done consistently well.
Teen Titans Go! can pull that off pretty well most of the time.
>>
>>93628737
The animation reminds me of Superjail
>>
File: Aaron Springer.png (226KB, 308x283px) Image search: [Google]
Aaron Springer.png
226KB, 308x283px
>>93627996
I feel like everyone collectively forgot or didn't notice that show even happened.

Having worked on classic SpongeBob, Samurai Jack, and the modern Mickey Mouse Shorts as well as creating Korgoth, Baloobaloob, and Periwinkle, how the hell did this guy fail so hard?
>>
>>93628948
Mike Carlo was an animator on Superjail!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XEQUxFrPOI
>>
>>93629039
Oh damn. Well that explains it.
>>
>>93629015
>>93627996
at least one of that show's better boarders (Charlotte Jackson) is moving onto Star vs
>>
>>93629015
having a lot of people who worked on post-movie spongebob and/or Uncle Grandpa as boarders (or in the case of Derek Iversen, outline writer) probably didn't help
>>
File: Michele Mazzano's Instagram.jpg (152KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Michele Mazzano's Instagram.jpg
152KB, 1080x1080px
>>93629147
Do we even know if Billy Dilley's still in production? I thought Disney already rushed through the entire series to shove it out of the way. They were clearly embarrassed about it.
>>
>>93626760
Because it's not funny.
>>
>>93626760
I personally didn't care for the pilot they had on YouTube long ago with the zit covered kid. Just seemed like another crap cartoon trying to go vulgar to count as humour.
Once it came out I never gave it a chance.
>>
>>93627211
>>93627320
The best idea the UG Crew had was changing the look of the backgrounds. The bland style of the first ~100 episodes always pissed me off 'cause episodes like "Belly Bros" and "The Great Spaghetti Western" proved that they were definitely capable of making more impressive backgrounds.
>>
File: UG intro.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
UG intro.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>93629451
It wasn't worth replacing the cute original intro with the shitty, randumb "intro"
>>
File: image.jpg (166KB, 1200x927px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
166KB, 1200x927px
Why in "Big Trouble for Tiny Miracle" did they apologize for what they did but later they treated Tiny like shit in season 4-5?
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.