[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

HBO series when?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 1

File: providence.png (219KB, 266x427px) Image search: [Google]
providence.png
219KB, 266x427px
HBO series when?
>>
> Moore signing over rights to anything ever again
Kek
>>
>>93624929
Yeah but that's mostly because his comics are unfilmable.

In Providence's case, literally just follow the panels and you're gold.
>>
It wasn't that great, and issue 12 was wholly unnecessary serving to spell out the point of the book to readers that didn't get it and to tie it in to Moore's previous, terrible Lovecraftian work
>>
>>93625019
>It wasn't that great
pleb out, it's one of the greatest comics of the 2010's and his greatest work since the 90's
>issue 12 was wholly unnecessary
Completely agree, but you know how Moore is.
>>
>>93625092
It's just I don't understand why Moore feels the need to insert so much sexuality into the mythos. It brought the book down in my opinion.
>>
Providence 01 (of 12) (2015) (digital) (Minutemen-Faessla)
www75.zippyshare.com/v/7g9KmX4q/file.html

Providence 02 (of 12) (2015) (digital) (Minutemen-Faessla)
http://www62.zippyshare.com/v/r7yHHQJH/file.html

Providence 03 (of 12) (2015) (digital) (Minutemen-Faessla)
http://www58.zippyshare.com/v/gdWs96V6/file.html

Providence 04 (of 12) (2015) (digital) (Minutemen-Faessla)
http://www68.zippyshare.com/v/qRSpnamm/file.html

Providence 05 (of 12) (2015) (digital) (Minutemen-Faessla)
http://www30.zippyshare.com/v/tQ6d8QZD/file.html

Providence 06 (of 12) (2015) (digital) (Minutemen-Faessla)
http://www53.zippyshare.com/v/AlBRSXCJ/file.html

Providence 07 (of 12) (2016) (digital) (Minutemen-Faessla)
http://www18.zippyshare.com/v/dx6Rqysi/file.html

Providence 08 (of 12) (2016) (digital) (Minutemen-Faessla)
http://www109.zippyshare.com/v/WgbvJSUn/file.html

Providence 09 (of 12) (2016) (digital) (Minutemen-Faessla)
http://www31.zippyshare.com/v/X19KZipG/file.html

Providence 10 (of 12) (2016) (digital) (Minutemen-Faessla)
http://www56.zippyshare.com/v/dXrl2COM/file.html

Providence 11 (of 12) (2016) (digital) (Minutemen-Faessla)
http://www34.zippyshare.com/v/Iqwpm3bi/file.html

Providence 12 (of 12) (2017) (digital) (Minutemen-Faessla)
http://www119.zippyshare.com/v/IbOwZxm6/file.html
>>
>>93625092
12 was definitely a low point of the series just because the writing was on the wall - and so just going "all that we said was going to happen, happens" while apt is just a bit flat.

It was sorta worth it to see just how much of a piece of shit Johnny Carcosa really was.

>>93625166
>It's just I don't understand why Moore feels the need to insert so much sexuality into the mythos. It brought the book down in my opinion.

It's part of his overall conceit in showcasing the stories. It was horrible in Neonomicon, but I thought he did marvelously with it in Providence.
>>
>>93625166
>so much sexuality

mah mature content
>>
>>93625166
Eh, I'd say it only brought down Neonomicon, in Providence they were much more efficiently used.

Regarding WHY exactly he inserted them, I don't mean to be rude but it's clear from his collected bibliography that the man clearly has some issues regarding these things
>>
HBO is going to adapt Watchmen into a series, I doubt he wants anything to do with them. If anything it should be on Showtime, they clearly don't give a fuck and let you do anything if you get enough backing as shown with Twin Peaks.
>>
>>93625235
>in Providence they were much more efficiently used.

Agreed. The Witch House segment was so deliriously eerie due to it.
>>
>>93624929
>signing over rights

He would just need an agreement similar to what Gaiman has (and is quite happy with) for American Gods and to what others readily get (see Rowling or Martin).

The bigger issue is that HBO is a Time Warner company. Showtime (Viacom/Paramount/CBS) is a better bet because (a) they are more desperate and (b) they could use the content for their shitty CBS All Access and Showtime standalone streaming services.
>>
>>93624845
>HBO
>thinking HBO would adapt comic book shit
the only comic book i can see them doing would be a tarantino style stray bullets
>>
>>93625295
>tarantino style

I've always envisioned it as a mix of Tarantino and Coen Bros. The series definitely reminds me a lot of Blood Simple in tone.
>>
>>93625214
I'd say that for the entire series the writing is on the wall- it's pretty bad when I guessed the plot from the 3rd issue - but it's still excellently written, except for the useless 12th issue, IMO a better ending would've been issue 11's time skips ending with a few panels on how widespread the mythos are in modern culture,
thus proving that Carcosa and the rest succeeded in bringing forth the dreamworld
>>
>>93625295
they distributed the American Splendor movie and as previously said Lindelof is frontrunning a Watchmen mini-series on the channel
>>
>>93625214
>>93625235
I'm sorry but reducing the terror of The Thing on the Doorstep to rape was pretty bad.
>>
>>93625295
Their most famous show right now is adapted from a book, which is a lot less audience friendly than a comic
>>
>>93625327
I think it really should have ended with 11.
Leaving 11 and starting 12 though has a distinct purpose - in that it utterly deflates the genre cliche of the "old man with the book of knowledge" that a few of these stories go through.

I think that's a really great idea, but as an ending - it could have hit harder.

>>93625358
>I'm sorry but reducing the terror of The Thing on the Doorstep to rape was pretty bad.

No, it was meant to showcase how utterly detached from any sense of identity Roulet was.
>>
>>93624929
it's creator owned, Mignola didn't lose the rights to Hellboy because they made a movie. Adaption rights are completely different and that's why people moved away from Vertigo since WB/DC retain them. That's not the case in any other creator owned publisher except maybe some super shady ones.
>>
>>93625358
Well just switching bodies with the girl, while unsettling, isn't as horrifying as something being done to you with your own body- and rape was used because Black's gay, and it adds a certain subtext to the whole thing
>>
>>93625440
What double that unnerving sense of dread is that Roulet attributes these actions to Asenath and Robert - not to himself. To him, being in their bodies makes him them, and vice versa.
>>
>>93625384
Regarding issue 12, I suppose you're right, but Neonomicon already had a pretty "hmm never thought of it like that" ending, so showing us the actual birth seems kind of unnecessary
>>
>>93625384
It was cheap and tacky, and it's a tactic Moore has used time and time again in his writing. Reducing truly horrible and terrifying things to sexuality.
>>
>>93625490
That's true, but I guess I don't mind it because subverting those conceits, and hard, was interesting. And there is some sense of dread that the moment that Perlman and co. enter the story - they cease to be anyway effective.

>>93625495
Except that scene isn't about sexuality in total. Sexuality was used to express the larger horror at play with body hopping, if anyone is reducing it, it's you.
>>
>>93625495
No, the rape scenes in Neonomicon were cheap and tacky, because the male lead acted like getting fucked by a fish man is completely normal.

Here it's used much better, because it closes off two already Lynchian issues with a literal mind fuck, and leaves both Black and the readers reeling.
>>
>>93625567
*the female lead.

Oops.
>>
>>93625590
No, you're right as well.
Perlman in Neonomicon is just "there was a fishman, I suspect rape, you okay? Hello? Call me". etc.
>>
>>93625610
Yeah, but I meant how she talks to him like it's her boyfriend, and even gives him a handjob, instead of screaming her head off like a normal person would, and it's all handwaved aside as "well she's a sex addict."

Like, really?
>>
>>93625547
I guess I don't see it that way, it came across as just another case of Moore doing the same thing he's done with the rest of his Lovecraft books. That part of the book didn't do it for me.
There were other parts I loved, the following issue was fantastic and the use of actual photographs was genius. I also loved how it was played off that Black while important he was wholly forgotten in the bigger picture. Not even the messenger but just the messenger for the real messenger.
>>
>>93625567
>the rape scenes in Neonomicon were cheap and tacky
I mean it's nothing that isn't in the background of the source material, Lovecraft was just so shut in and sexless that he only called them " profane rituals" or something similar.

Praying at an alter wasn't how all those fish monster/human hybrids came to Innsmouth, women were given up to them.
>>
>>93625705
No, I don't have a problem with them being presented, I have issues with how they were presented.

See >>93625663
>>
>>93625663
Oh god that was so bad.
Not to mention the cultist being so over the top and annoying. The ending of 11 really hammered home how there was a fall of an age that led to idiots like them.

>>93625718
Yes, that's Neonomicon, something we all agree did it badly.
>>
>>93625705
>Lovecraft was just so shut in and sexless that he only called them " profane rituals" or something similar.
>this meme again

Lovecraft was a sperg, but just because he didn't have graphic passages of women being spitroasted by deep ones doesn't mean he avoided it, just that he focused more on the other horrors.
>>
>>93625797
Definitely, but that doesn't mean that Moore delving into it is an inherently bad idea either. In Neonomicon it's played for cheap laughs and...really just laughs.

In Providence it's there to undercut the repression of Robert Black and the overall straight-laced facade of the world.
>>
>>93625705
>women were given up to them.
Didn't the Deep Ones specifically want willing women?
>>
>>93625845
>it's played for cheap laughs
yeah well that was about what he thought of Lovecraft when he wrote it. Like LOEG the research into the subject actually strengthened his love for the material.

Moore said he had never bothered to read the sequel to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea until he was working on the comic, which is when Verne reveals that Nemo is Indian.
>>
>>93626023
Yeah, but "the courtyard" was written like 15 years before neonomicon and it's much better than it, so what gives?

The reason neonomicon is shit is because he himself said he wrote it for the money.
>>
>>93626052
I think it's more because of length and concision.
The Courtyard is more about the seduction from Nyarlathotep than caring about the deeper lore of the Mythos.

And a seduction story is...well, hard to fuck up.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.