[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Worldbuilding in Modern Cape comics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: MapofMetropolis.png (2MB, 1600x872px) Image search: [Google]
MapofMetropolis.png
2MB, 1600x872px
So I was talking the other day with a few anons and we remarked on how there hasn't been much world building in modern comics. The recent Aquaman issue had a fair bit, which is why we remarked on it. But in the past its all been pretty much made up on the fly. Sure a few districts with a bit of history are known, especially in Gotham. But they haven't really been developed much in recent years. This is the only map I've found and I don't think comics have been consistent with it ever. I'd love to see some proper worldbuilding, and I think it would benefit the stories if they had a more consistent framework. Most are one arc wonders.

Why have writers/editorial avoided such worldbuilding?
>>
>>93592783
this can't happen in the big two in the modern age because writers no longer really get a chance to stick with something for long enough and there's an almost constant threat of replacement or cancellation.

As a consequence they're forced to stick with storylines that are neatly tied up in a few issues at most. In and of itself this doesn't technically kill world building, one can still add bits and pieces to the world as time goes on in such circumstances obviously however what it does do is kill the motivation. Why bother building up the world of Superman when the writer after you is going to ignore it and do a storyline of their own devising and probably forget everything you wrote as well?

Then because nobody is world building - nobody feels the need to take on past world building either. So it's a feedback loop of depressed motivation in this regard. The way out is to

1. create a comic heavily focused on continuity or
2. have a constant writer for a period of real life years and tell them that they should feel free to plot something out over 50-60 issues.

The problem with 2. is that sometimes you do this and get a complete ass clown obsessed with something other than writing a half decent story and you've accidentally just made them really powerful so can't stop the monster you've created.
>>
File: Marvel Eastern Europe.png (564KB, 544x519px) Image search: [Google]
Marvel Eastern Europe.png
564KB, 544x519px
>>
>>93592783
Ewing has been doing some worldbuilding of Marvel Cosmic, using the work of previous writers as a foundation.
>>
File: cities-opal.jpg (403KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
cities-opal.jpg
403KB, 1000x750px
Opal was effectively a character in the 90's Starman series, a lot of work went into expanding on it.
>>
>>93593209
Wait, I thought that Latveria shared a border with Hungary.
Also, I wonder where Sokovia is now.
>>
>>93593092
>Then because nobody is world building - nobody feels the need to take on past world building either. So it's a feedback loop of depressed motivation in this regard. The way out is to
>1. create a comic heavily focused on continuity or
>2. have a constant writer for a period of real life years and tell them that they should feel free to plot something out over 50-60 issues
Or just have editors do their jobs and enforce continuity.

In the MCU we were told recently that there is a literal scroll that Marvel used to time stamp everything they have nailed down, down to Steve Roger's birthday. The scroll isn't for public viewing and is only shared by Marvel to senior staff. This is what you need if you both want multiple creators and yet a consistent universe. Just have lore managers. Now clearly the comics don't run that tight a ship, or we wouldn't have a silly situation of Bruce Banner getting killed too easily and having the explanation retconned. Had the comic editors paid attention they wouldn't have had to deal with that.
>>
>>93592783
Nobody cares about characters, setting, or plot. What comics fans want is nothing but non stop action action action!

>>93593324
>Or just have editors do their jobs and enforce continuity.
PFFFTHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
>>
>>93593209
>Cuckraine exists in Marvel Universe
I'm a DC fan as of now.
>>
>>93593392
>PFFFTHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
If the MCU can do it, why not the comics? It is just a matter of will, not a lack of means.
>>
>>93593658
Comics would be a bigger scale, and require a lot more work. There's far more moving parts in a comicverse than the movies.

But I agree, more could be done, even if not for the fine details, the general plot points and worldbuilding could definitely be done.
>>
I think you need more of a European/Japanese/indie approach to making a comic if you want to do some worldbuilding.

You certainly need it if you want to do some historybuilding.

Goddamn superheroes and history make my dick hard.
>>
>>93594504
After the Injustice comics end, I want that slot to be taken over by a long, series of worldbuilding issues. 0 focus on story, just worldbuilding and such. The publicly known history of various DC mini-states, cities etc. Maybe a few shorts of how real world institutions are changed in the DC verse.

So like the FBI: MSID (Metahuman, Supernatural crime division), US Marines EFO Btn (Enhanced forces Btn), and such. What are the international laws on metahuman incidents? Does the Justice League have NGO status with the UN? Does NATO pool its Metahuman resources?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.