[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Astro City as an entry to cape-comics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: astro-city-local-heroes.jpg (212KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
astro-city-local-heroes.jpg
212KB, 1024x768px
I friend of mine who isn't in comics told me to recommend him some nice cape-shit.
The fucking guy actually got some fantastic taste in pretty much all of the media he consumes, so I was thinking of recommending him Astro City.

But the thing is, my friend knows almost nothing about the hero stereotypes, topics and analogues this series plays with (and masters imo). Actually, he hasn't followed the current popularity of capes in tv-movies that much even. He has read non cape-comics before though.

So I'm worried he'll be able to fully appreciate Astro City without the knowledge of those stereotypes and topics.
What do you think /co/? Is Astro City a good recommendation for someone who is new to cape-comics or am I fucking up?
>>
>>93580151
>What do you think /co/? Is Astro City a good recommendation for someone who is new to cape-comics or am I fucking up?
I don't really the issue, having read more capeshit may to appreciate it more, but even if you knew nothing about capes is still a perfectly enjoyable comic.
>>
shameful bump
>>
>>93580480
This, really.

Like, look at the story about Samaritan and Infidel. Even if you're new to capeshit you can understand Infidel's backstory and motives. From there it's just a matter of getting to the "Wow, they're like friends...but they're not!" bit, which is a twist that both jaded fanboys and wide-eyed casuals can appreciate

And at the very least, superheroes have always been so popular that even the plebbiest pleb has a concept of the conventions of the genre, they just may not think about it too much
>>
>>93580151
Did he say what specifically he was looking for? If he just wants entry level comics I'd just go for the standard Batman, Superman, Xmen, or Spiderman type recommendations. There's no need to try and impress him with your knowledge of non-mainstream capes.
>>
>>93581587
No, he just wants something good as in well-written and executed. He's got good taste so I figured Astro City could be good.
Perhaps I'm valuing too much the "topics play" of the series when the writing is good on itself.
>>
>>93580151
Miller's Daredevil, The Dark Knight Returns, and Batman Year One are more or less the basis for modern superhero comics. Those are a much better starting point.
>>
No, go for Watchmen, Supreme, Tom Strong and top ten. They're better executed than Astro City.
>>
>>93580480
>>93581493
I read Astro City when I was young and didn't get the context/references. It made NO FUCKING SENSE to me at the time. It really is overly reliant on assuming the audience has read a fuckton of superhero comics.
>>
>>93581779
So, stick to Alan Moore?
>>
>>93580151
as much as I hate to say it, the best entry level capeshit is Loeb's Batman and Superman/Batman. Alternatively his color-minis he wrote (actually he just copied the characters' established origin stories almost one to one) for Marvel.
Or make him watch Batman TAS and Superman TAS, the usual.
>>
>>93581678
>>93581921
Oh never mind, you said he's got good taste, then scratch everyone I said except for Batman TAS and Superman TAS
>>
>>93581779

You're vile.
>>
>>93581752
Those would be a little dated for someone new. You should not read Miller until you have some appreciation for art in comics.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.