[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was he depicted as someone likable?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 11

File: jooOOOOHHHN redcorn.jpg (39KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
jooOOOOHHHN redcorn.jpg
39KB, 640x480px
Why was he depicted as someone likable?
>>
Because people aren't just always bad and always good.
Also the episode where he wanted to tell Joseph everything clearly painted him in the wrong.
>>
He sort of wasn't. Like a lot of people here point out, if you look at it critically he's sort of a shitty dude, i don't think his behavior is malicious, just careless. When he realizes he's up, it's hard to feel sorry for him.
>>
File: nancy.jpg (22KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
nancy.jpg
22KB, 640x480px
>>93569207
Why was SHE depicted as someone likable?
>>
Because after he stopped fucking Nancy he was actually a pretty interesting and funny character.
>>
>>93569237
She wasn't before she reconciled with Dale and broke it off with Redcorn.
>>
>>93569237
She realized what she was doing was wrong and she actually loved Dale.
>>
File: kick.jpg (37KB, 654x451px) Image search: [Google]
kick.jpg
37KB, 654x451px
>that episode where Hank threatened to kick his ass

Being around his friends gave Hank a false sense of intimidation.
>>
>>93569251
>>93569261
And it only took 14 years.
>>
>>93569261
"I'm sorry that I've been cheating on you during more than a decade and made you raise the son of another man. I actually love you".
>>
File: JtGxnGE.jpg (60KB, 1017x767px) Image search: [Google]
JtGxnGE.jpg
60KB, 1017x767px
>>93569207
His problems far outweighed his amoral actions.

All his goals were permanently out of reach with no realistic conclusions.
>>93569267
That was the joke, yes.
>>
>>93569207
Why shouldn't he be?
I feel sorry for him, he was just some bimbo's outlet for her native american fetish
>>
>>93569237
Anyone else just hate her more where she considering going back to sleeping with John Redcorn if it meant keeping her hair?

>>93569267
> false
Hank would demolish Redcorn in a fight.
>>
>>93569236

He gradually becomes more a dick in part because he knows his path to Nancy is cutoff and Joseph is only ever going to know him as the creepy Indian guy.
>>
>>93569267
Hank would wipe the floor with Redcorn.

>>93569376
This.
>>
>>93569376
>>93569383
Why would Hank beat Redcorn? Neither of them have any real fighting experience, neither of them do heavy manual labor or anything that would make them stronger than they look, and Redcorn is taller and more muscular.
>>
>>93569376
>>93569383

Hank is an out-of-shape assistant manager. Redcorn worked security for live shows and stays fit.
>>
>>93569396
Hank's a renowned blue collar that does all kinds of construction work for free along with his propane job which definitely includes heavy lifting. Plus he was a jock in HS so I'd assume he's been in a few fights and may I remind you that Cotton Hill is his father. Dad strength is no joke.

>>93569402
>Implying Hank can't take a hit
He took a straight up slam in the face from an ex football player whom was wearing a huge ass ring to back up the punch and he immediately recovered from it with literally no fear.

Redcorn could do some damage, but Hank has good resilience.
>>
>>93569376
>Anyone else just hate her more where she considering going back to sleeping with John Redcorn if it meant keeping her hair?
that was becase her husband was neglecting her, again
the reason she began her affair in the first place
it must be sad to be a woman and to depend on the love on some random man this much
>>
>>93569396
>Neither of them have any real fighting experience
Hank's a man, and men know how to throw and take a punch. He took a hit hard enough from a former pro football player hard in the face to leave an imprint of his Superbowl Ring and didn't even make him knock him down.

>neither of them do heavy manual labor or anything that would make them stronger than they look
Hank hauls around propane tanks all day and probably helps people put their big ass grills in their trucks. I don't know what Redcorn does outside of his Massage job, but he's more in shape than Hank I'll give you that.
The thing is, Hank was a pretty hefty football player back in the day, and they have a habit of keeping a lot of that muscle even if they do grow beer bellies in age.
>>
>>93569446
>that was becase her husband was neglecting her, again
the reason she began her affair in the first place
Nah, Nancy was just a straight up adulterer at first. Dale always loved and cared for both her and Joseph, she just didn't give a shit about that until around a decade and a half of cheating.
>>
>>93569292
She never admitted to cheating, quit being such a casual.
>>
Oh, Sug.
>>
>>93569396
Hank was an amateur boxer
>>
>>93569486
Did you forget the episode where Dale tells Hank about when Joseph was conceived? How he thinks Joseph was conceived by aliens because he was out UFO hunting when it happened? It's clearly implied that part of the reason Nancy slept with Redcorn was that Dale was always too distracted with conspiracy shit to tend to her needs.
>>
>>93569566
Did you forget that the point of that episode was to show that even though Joseph isn't his biological son he was always a caring father to him?

And there is no evidence at all to show Dale was anything but kind and loyal to Nancy despite his conspiracy theory shit. In her own words, Nancy would only sleep with him on his birthday. She was at fault and she was wrong. Don't try to turn it around on Dale.
>>
>>93569486
Dale is fucking awkward and doesn't know how to express love
He's afraid of Joseph and can't be a good father to him
Is there an episode about Nancy and Dale falling in love with each other because I seriously can't imagine it
>>
>>93569637
>He's afraid of Joseph and can't be a good father to him
It's like you never watched the show.
>>
>>93569637
Dale is a good father to Joseph, he even has John Redcorn's approval. He fucks up sometimes, but he's genuinely trying and wants what's best for him. Like the episode where he tried to get him into that academy.
>>
>>93569617
You seem to be taking this very personally. Dale isn't a great guy, he may be entertaining to watch but; as a man, he was clearly the shittiest of the main four. You don't have to defend him, you know.
>>
>>93569683
>He's not good, he's bad.
He's a person with flaws just like everyone else in the show, just because he's imperfect doesn't mean his good attributes are null & void.
>>
>>93569683
>The shittiest of the main four

Except he wasn't. That was obviously Bill. Boomhauer wasn't that great a person either.
>>
>>93569617
>And there is no evidence at all to show Dale was anything but kind and loyal
>Dale is literally handed a hot, exterminator babe on a platter that wants to fuck his brains out
>Tells her flat out with no bullshit second questioning that while he's flattered, he's absolutely in love with his wife and would never betray her like that.
Dale's a cowardly, insane, balding weirdo with a crappy pest control business, but he's a fantastic father and husband.

>>93569637
>He's afraid of Joseph and can't be a good father to him
That only happened after Joseph hit puberty, and just because he's scared doesn't mean he doesn't love the boy. Hell, the only reason Peggy didn't tell him the truth was because she didn't want to ruin his and Joseph's wonderful relationship.

>>93569683
Nah, the worst by far was Bill. Dude had so many problems and most of the time he just made them worse.
>>
>>93569694
>Bill
>Boomhauer
well they didn't have a wife anymore they could torture with their emotional distance like Dale did
>>
>>93569683
>taking this very personally
>no other arguements
>shittiest of the main four

Did you even watch the show?
>>
>>93569694
>>93569697
Bill wasn't great either, but I give him leeway because of his abusive upbringing and massive depression, plus he never did anything like try to bargain with a terminally ill child for his donated kidney.
>>
>>93569697
>but he's a fantastic father and husband.

just because he didn't cheat on his wife doesn't make him the best husband ever, there are many husbands that don't cheat on their wife and later go back home and beat the shit out of them, so what
stop seeing everything in black and white
>>
>>93569706
Dale wasn't emotionally distant at all though, are you just baiting now? Though flawed he was a loving husband and father, this was shown many times in the show.
>>
>>93569725
What the hell are you talking about? Dale's a good dad because he's a good dad, not because he didn't bang some floozy. The guy was always supportive of Joseph's interests and always made time to spend with him and share his with the boy.

>stop seeing everything in black and white
I'm convinced you're baiting at this point.
>>
>>93569706
Dale was by far the most emotional character on the show, what are you talking about? He's never shown to be emotionally distant from his family at all.
Mike Judge himself said if Dale had ever found out about the affair he probably would have killed himself because he loves Nancy so much.
>>
>>93569733
>he was a loving husband and father, this was shown many times in the show.

Perhaps, but when we see his home life he is invariable ensconced in his basement obsessing over some conspiracy or other, we hardly ever see him spend time with Nancy or Joseph unless it is doing something coincident with his interests. Being weird and emotionally draining to be around can be just as bad as emotional distance or emotional abuse.
>>
File: 1494122090836.png (517KB, 924x1400px) Image search: [Google]
1494122090836.png
517KB, 924x1400px
>>93569773
>Mike Judge himself said if Dale had ever found out about the affair he probably would have killed himself because he loves Nancy so much.
That's heavy.
>>
>>93569779
Because it's a comedy show you idiot, they want to show off his wacky weird personality. And even then he is shown going out on dates with Nancy, wrestling with Joseph, helping him with his science fair project, etc. He is not distant from them at all or emotionally abusive, he just has weird hobbies.

Joseph is shown to love his dad very much, when Dale tried to give him away to that rich family to give him a better life Joseph wanted to go back because he loves Dale. Nancy broke it off with John Redcorn because she loves Dale. His family loves him and he loves them.
You're just making things up and trying to see shit that isn't there.
>>
>>93569267
Hank canonically can kick Redcorn's ass, its in the character design sheets.
>>
>>93569826
Not that Anon but ya made me realize that Dale had enough love to keep his entire family together through a slew of problems and other shit. World needs more Dale.
>>
>>93569826
it's canon that Dale hasn't been going on dates with Nancy for 12 years and they had sex only once a year
stop making Dale out to be your little precious perfect husband, he had many flaws but still could be a much worse husband/father
>>
>>93569826
Take it easy man, I was just yanking people's chains. I just hate it when people get to talking about Dale and Nancy and it just becomes a huge "I hate Nancy, Nancy's the worst raglefragle" circlejerk, so I tried to break it up by saying something that I knew would get a strong reaction.
>>
>>93569884
Because Nancy was cheating on him and didn't want to have sex with him. That's not Dale's choosing. I even fucking said he flawed.
>>
>>93569846
gonna need a source on that, old top
>>
>>93569905
Because Nancy was 100% in the wrong you fucking mong
>>
>>93569905
They do that because Nancy was wrong. Dale wasn't.
>>
>>93569846
You got any of those? I've only ever saw a page or two.
>>
>>93569919
>>93569926
I think that people just get way too worked up about it, I never hated anyone in this show like that. Yeah, she treated him badly for a long time, but he was never harmed by it and eventually they worked it out and put that part of their lives behind them. Plus there must have been something about Nancy for Dale to care so much about, so I'm not going to pass judgment.
>>
File: 1459358418479.png (36KB, 321x322px) Image search: [Google]
1459358418479.png
36KB, 321x322px
>that epsiode where Redcorn screams into Dale's fucking face that he has been fucking Hank's best friend's wife for 13 years
>>
>>93569915
>>
>>93569973
Yeah we all know Bill's wife was a tramp!
>>
>>93569953
Did you forget this started with people admitting she was a better character after she broke it off with Redcorn? And that she's a bitch because she considered getting back with him just to save her hair?

Quit being such a fucking idiot, you're just trying to start shit by your own admission.
>>
>>93569905
I'm pretty sure this sort of debate happens because one of the few things that changes in the show is Dale and Nancy's relationship. Dale was never anything but a loving father and husband, but he clearly got better at it throughout the show. The big turn around with Nancy is that he won her back. Being emotionally distant was never really part of Dale's character, but it was clear that his general weirdness and obsessions were are the root of his disconnect with Nancy until sometime into the show. Part of it is just the evolving characters, I think. Dale's primary narrative purpose is to be a weird, paranoid dork. It's what makes the episodes focusing on his devotion to Nancy and Joseph more powerful. Because they're not really the baseline of what we're used to seeing from him. The show starts off with the focus on that side of him, the conspiracy nut who can't see what's right in front of his face. And then it plays off that by showing it's because the one thing he has implicit trust in is his family. But that comes later on, so the introduction of him is someone who it's easy to read as being distant and disconnected from his wife.
>>
>>93569973
I mean that just shows how much Dale loves Nancy that he wouldn't even consider her cheating.
>>
>>93569267

Hank said that repeatedly and did it a few times literally when his friends weren't around.

Wasn't Redcorn on the old team with them?
>>
>>93569986
>not to imply that Hank couldn't
That's more of a "maybe" than a 100% confirmation that Hank would undoubtedly wipe the floor with Redcorn.
>>
>>93570018
see >>93569448
>>
File: hmm.gif (617KB, 498x498px) Image search: [Google]
hmm.gif
617KB, 498x498px
>>93569986
Could Hank kick Superman's ass if he was really pissed?
>>
>>93570018
Angry red faced Hank could kick anyone's ass desu.
>>
>>93570034
only if he messed with his lawn
>>
>>93570013
Nah, Redcorn is a bit younger than the Alley Gang, I'd say mid to late thirties while they're in their 40's.
>>
>>93569995
I just never felt like anything in the show was worthy of the sort of passion you see from some people when Dale and Nancy's relationship is brought up. I get that a situation like that in real life would be harrowing for the people involved, but something about the inherent mundanity and low stakes of the show just made it all seem too small time to worry about. I have never hated anyone the way some KOTH fans hate Nancy, or Peggy as a matter of fact.
>>
>>93569396
While I don't think it is anywhere near as one sided as other people here seem to think
>neither of them do heavy manual labor or anything
Hank literally does that shit for fun from all his yardwork to several episodes that involved (or at least started the plot of the episode off with) the guys doing that. Sometimes from just small shit like fixing furniture to bigger things like the house in the McMansion episode.

Like I said I do not think he has some massive advantage but making that claim is just plain unture
>>
>>93570060
I'm not sure if you realize how much infidelity strikes a nerve here. There's a reason cuck is the new fag.
>>
>>93570091
funny considering most people here are fucking virigns that have never even been in a relationship
>>
>>93570018
Yeah, but that "maybe" was about his threat towards Redcorn about staying away from Peggy. Now, people hate Peggy, but Hank absolutely loves her.
I honestly believe that if Hank truly thought Redcorn even so much as made a move towards her, he'd be damn near the angriest he's ever been, more than enough to break Redcorn in two.
>>
>>93570060
You might call King of the Hill mundane or low-stakes, but it's also impressively real and relatable. I think the hate that arises for Nancy is largely due to the similarities it bears to real-life situations that nearly everyone has experience with. People that cheat on good but weird people like Dale are the worst of this world.
>>
>op b8s with a cuck thread
>turns into a power level thread
>>
>>93570237
Not our fault the creators blue ball the viewers with Hank's latent power so much.
>>
>>93570260
Didn't Hank kick through a chain link fence just to kick Billy Witchards ass after he almost got Bobby killed?
>>
>>93570275
Yeah, and he followed that up with a well-deserved ass kicking.

The old Gods and the new of Westeros can't stop Hank once he gets red.
>>
>>93570116
the fear of rejection and betrayal is what kept them like that, the other reasons came along later.

>>93570237
Welcome to /co/
>>
>>93569267
Hank would whip his ass. Redcorn doesn't have grit like Hank.
>>
>>93570260
If he was hot headed he wouldn't be hank. The only time He's ever kicked someone's ass in the show as I recall is when he beat that retarded concessions salesman for almost killing bobby.
>>
>>93570354
Never said I wanted a Hank that fights constantly, it takes restraint to stick to your character's development. He never needs to fight but that doesn't stop him from threatening people who deserve it. Blue balling is necessarily a bad thing but they still do it none the less.
>>
>>93570376
isn't*
>>
>>93570354
plus all those times Dale mouthed off when Hank was in no mood for it and he started walking over to kick his ass, although those were either cutaways or Dale hopped a fence and ran up a tree to avoid it
>>
File: a okay.png (326KB, 903x713px) Image search: [Google]
a okay.png
326KB, 903x713px
>>93570237
This guy gets it.
>>
>>93569986
>That bobby snake.
>>
>>93570350
Redcorn went on a spirit trip in the desert and passed out, all after fasting. He's got to have something.
>>
>>93569905
That's a really interesting way of saying that you were only pretending to be retarded,
>>
Redcorn could beat Hank pretty bad until he went Super Saiyan and sent Redcorn back to the reservation.
>>
>>93569207
Real life is complicated. I know two cheaters in my life and I could "make things right" but the truth is that now they're happy. It has been years and now these couples have moved away from the people they cheated with, cut their ties, and live, presumably, monogamous lives.
>>
>>93569207
peeEEEHGY hill
>>
King of the HIll is great in that it can be applied to anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KndXKm7Po8k
>>
Isn't Khan the most dangerous in a fight?
>>
>>93569267
>Redcorn
>standing a chance against Hank "Pro-pain!" Hill
What are you smoking?
>>
>>93570877
It did the job I wanted, so I'm happy.
>>
I liked when Redcorn admitted he was getting on 40 and hadn't done shit with his life
>>
File: 92857.png (109KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
92857.png
109KB, 320x240px
Why was he depicted as someone hateable?
>>
>>93572122
I liked it when he got a happy ending
>>
File: tZnhdpB2xR-6.png (82KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
tZnhdpB2xR-6.png
82KB, 300x250px
>>93570034
Only if Superman was acting like a jackass and only if bobby did something disappointing shortly before that.
>>
>>93570116
Many of them still see a loving relationship as the ultimate goal in life, and anything that tarnishes that ideal is absolute heresy.
This place is a toss-up between cynical nihilists and hopeless romantics.
Pretty funny, actually
>>
>>93570034
Only if Superman asked for a steak well done and he did not leave when politely asked to do so.
>>
>>93572522
It's mainly people in the middle who don't get involved because it's not comics or cartoon related to blog.
>>
>>93570060
To be fair because it's low stakes people see others in their lives as those mundanly terrible people.

The conniving woman who cheats on a decent man and the absolute retard who always overestimates themselves to the detriment of others.

Bill is also pretty awful but he's a mess who will never be happy mostly through his own fault.
>>
>>93569261
Didn't she also go bald cause she wouldn't fuck him anymore?
>>
>>93572294
>No Bobby! You not focusing the tingling on your back!
>>
>>93570354
Also the pyro-acupuncturist in the episode where Hank has constipation, because Hank is a man of his word:
>He sticks needles in you, then lights them on fire!
>Anyone tries that on me, I'll kick his ass.
>>
>>93569267
kek
>>
>>93573100
I wonder, who here would tell Dale that Nancy was cheating on him? Assuming that he would believe you, that is, personally I've always thought that; even if one of the ally gang did spill the beans, Dale would never accept it and he would bring all of his conspiracy knowledge and obsession to bear on coming up with a way to deny it. But assuming you had airtight evidence that he could not deny, would you tell him?
>>
>>93572522

They are probably one and the same. One causes the other or vice-a-versa, I feel at least.
>>
>>93575315
He's happy with his family. He loves his son, he loves his wife. Why would you want to try and destroy that and take away his happiness?
>>
he's not

>>93572149
he's not
>>
>>93569376
>Anyone else just hate her more where she considering going back to sleeping with John Redcorn if it meant keeping her hair?
Her hair was her livelihood. Her career depends on looking good, she's the major breadwinner of her family, and she's already getting older in life. Going bald (which is already much worse for women) was like seeing her world fall apart for her.

I actually liked this episode because she was tempted, but ultimately chose Dale above all else. Even Homer and Marge have been tempted. It's the fact that she put Dale over something important to her that's makes it great.

If she didn't care about her hair, and if there was no temptation, then there wouldn't have been any tension.
>>
>>93575746
>She didn't cheat on Dale to keep her hair after making him raise the son of her lover. She is great.

Talk about low bars.
>>
Has no one ever thought about that Dale knew all the time simply because he couldn't have a child but was too embarassed to tell Nancy?
Also he taught Joseph that Redcorn is a fucking joke and also a homosexual, I wonder why
>>
>>93577864
to be fair her job relies on her looks
Also she was willing to let Dale cheat on her out of guilt
>>93577952
Because that's dumb.
>>
>>93572149
He was a prick. Until he came off his meds.
>>
>>93577998
She knew that she hadn't any right to complain. Luck for her, Dale is a man far better than she deserves.
>>
>>93570350
Redcorn's body is all show-muscle, for the purpose of seducing women. He's repeatedly shown to be on-level with the rest of the cast, athletically, if not worse.

Wait, no. He did catch an arrow out of the air once. So his hand-eye coordination is probably pretty spot-on.
>>
>>93571085
Khan knows... a Thai martial art of some kind, and Mihn portrays him as something of a street tough when they first met. But that may have just been a style he was adopting, since it was also put in contrast with his singing and "shiny shirt."
>>
>>93572149
He has bipolar disorder. He jumps from being a very amicable guy that you can hold a friendly conversation with and find mutual shared ground, to a rotten piece of shit that hates everything around him for not meeting his expectations.

His medicine is supposed to keep him closer to a "neutral" point, but you can see it through the series that when he has someone/thing to hate besides his neighbors, he gets along well with them.
Thread posts: 118
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.