[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best "Average" Superman stories

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 1462886-sme1galley_082_copy.jpg (100KB, 455x700px) Image search: [Google]
1462886-sme1galley_082_copy.jpg
100KB, 455x700px
I'm relatively a new reader for Supes. Whenever I look up the best Superman stories, I almost always find two kinds of stories:

Origin stories, like
>Man of Steel
>Secret Origins
>Earth One
>Birthright

And deconstructions of the Superman concept and his ideals, usually in the form of Elseworlds stories, not unlike
>All-Star Superman
>Red Son
>Secret Identity
>Whatever happened to the man of tomorrow?
>Kingdom Come, I think (haven't read it yet)

But what are the best "average" Superman stories that stand in the middle? What are the best stories that don't fit in neither category and are perfect for a new reader that doesn't feel like reading "Clark the Farmboy Goes to the City" or "Oh Shit, Supes is Now a Bad Guy I Guess" or "Superman has Supercancer".

Also I don't know if I should put Death of Superman in the deconstructions category, but it definitely isn't an average Supes story.
>>
>>93563814
I like all the current stuff. Most of his best stories are "unusual" I guess. Final crisis, the full death and return arc, and all of the last son/brainiac/new krypton run is what I consider his best
>>
>>93563814

Maybe a bit deconstructiony, but it gets to the heart of clark as a character >>93558500
>>
File: supesrman.jpg (40KB, 420x652px) Image search: [Google]
supesrman.jpg
40KB, 420x652px
They're all the runs on Action Comics and Superman. A lot of it is big high stakes stuff because it's Superman and that's the level he works on. I guess start at Man of Steel and post-Crisis and work forward? Find out who did the runs.

And team stuff like Morrison JLA
>>
>>93564085
Thanks for the recommendation.

>>93564128
That's what I'm not looking for right now, but thanks. Gonna add it to my list.

>>93564153
What are the best runs then? And why does this apply to Action Comics and not to the Superman series?
>>
>>93563814
'85-'94, fuck the haters. You can keep going after that if you wish to, it only gets kind of shitty when Loeb comes on board, even the electric Superman stuff is passable. I love this era because Superman's supporting cast is amazingly fleshed out and actually get their own sub-plots and shit. It starts to go downhill with Return of Superman, but never that awful. '99 is a good stopping point.
Casey's run on Adventures
Kelly's run on Action (bit of a mixed bag but I do love the issues with Ferry)
Up , Up and Away!
Busiek's run
Johns' run until Brainiac. You can keep going with New Krypton, which doesn't start out bad, but it does end terribly.

Pre-Crisis you've got Elliot S! Maggin's run, which is a classic. Don't forget Miracle Monday, even though it's not a comic.
>>
>>93564317
Exactly what I was looking for, thanks anon!
Also, what are the best post '99 runs in your opinion?
>>
>>93564304

Post COIE Superman is very inter-related. Stories jump from Action Comics to the Superman self-titled, and also to Adventures of Superman and for a while, The Man of Tomorrow. I find them OK, they are easy for newbies because it's a fresh start.

IF you've read what you have references, I would start with 1999/2000 and onward. You will to either find the trades or look for arcs. Most of them have been scanned or ripped, or you can find them at your library (DC has now joined the world of providing digital copies of SOME of their catalogue stuff to libraries - so even if your actual local library doesn't, any BIG city in your state will let you apply for a card, which you can use to borrow electronically), your nearest LCS or order on line.

I agree with the guy who suggested Morrisons JLA. I also like the 2000s Superman/Batman team up book.

For current stuff, the New 52 Morrison Action run is really creative and a lot of fun. Superman Unchained is a 9 parter that can be read by itself.
>>
>>93564398
I just mentioned them.
>Casey's run on Adventures
>Kelly's run on Action (bit of a mixed bag but I do love the issues with Ferry)
>Up , Up and Away!
>Busiek's run
>Johns' run until Brainiac.
'85-'94 is Byrne on Superman and Action for a couple of years, Wolfman and Ordway on Adventures for a little bit until Wolfman leaves, then it's Byrne and Ordway and eventually just Ordway. Then you've got Stern on Superman and Action (around here comes the Exile saga, which deals with the fallout of the Supergirl saga), then Jurgens joins Superman and after Clark reveals his identity to Lois we've got Wheezie and Bogdanove on Man of Steel, the fourth Superman title. Eventually Ordway leaves Adventures and Kesel takes over. So when Death and Return comes along you've got Jurgens on Superman, Stern on Action, Kesel on Adventures and Wheezie on MoS.

That's when I recommend stopping unless you're really in love with the triangle era, in which case you're free to continue and maybe stop at '96 with the Wedding Album if you get bored since that wraps up things nicely.
>>
>>93564456
>Assuming I'm from the US
Thanks, famalam. I'm gonna check out Morrison's Action Run! What are the best arcs/trades from the 00's?
>>
>>93564646
Sorry, I assummed those were previous to 99. Gonna check out all of that, it sounds pretty good.
>>
>>93563814
Read the new 52 run of Superman and Action Comics, then read the Rebirth run of Superman and Action Comics.

That is all that really is matters/is relevant anymore.
>>
>>93564666

>Shocking - there are no libraries outside the USA and there are no official translations of DC Comics!!!

You got pointed to a few (Up, Up and Away, etc.). President Lex is fun but hard to find, even as a scan or rip. Look for the Superman stories by Loeb and Kelly and the Casey stories which you also got pointed to (those are the writers).

Most of the 2000 Action and Superman's are in digital so they have been ripped or there are decent HQ scans (very readable).

Morrison's run you can find as a free download, it's the first 19 issues of New 52 action comics.

There were some DC Comics Presents that collect some of these and 80 page giants (dated 1998 or 1999 or dated in the 2000, anything else date-wise will be fairly low quality scans and are older Silver Age stories).

BTW Secret Identity isn't really an elsewhere story.
>>
I don't know about "perfect for new readers" but DC One Million might fit?

Also Tomasi and Gleason's ongoing run of Superman is great.
>>
>>93564317
I support this. The 85-94 era is overall fucking amazing, lots of great stories there
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.