[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Meg Griffin

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

Does anybody else feel really bad about how terrible Meg gets treated in Family Guy? Like, typically I can watch shit like South Park and Rick and Morty being fucked up and whatever, but for some reason Meg's mistreatment really gets to me
>>
>>93560730
The thing about Family Guy is that everybody is an asshole
>>
File: lol season 10 was shit.jpg (55KB, 653x367px) Image search: [Google]
lol season 10 was shit.jpg
55KB, 653x367px
>>93560730
No cuz it's a dumb comedy.
People like you is why we got an episode like this.
>>
>>93560796
except new-stewie most of the time, surprisingly
>>
There's no reason for it, she literally just is the "punching bag" character because the creators thought it would be funny. She doesn't have to do anything to deserve karmic punishment, if the plot/some lazy joke requires Meg being physically harmed/encouraged to commit sudoku by her own family, then it will happen.

Or when the plot requires her to be absolutely hideous, so hideous that it kills people if they look at her naked body. Nothing in FG history has ever displayed a reason for any of this to happen, but it just happens.

It did give me a good new rule for myself though: every time I watch Family Guy on TV when there's nothing else on, I turn it off the second a Meg joke is made. Feels great, haven't had to watch a full episode in ages.
>>
Nah.
Meg was orginally just kind of a cliched whiny daughter character.
When they brought her back she was the Gil/Moleman.
The show went to shit so hard and now tries to force moments like these.
I don't get how anyone could fall for it like they're actual characters.
>>
>>93560730
It's meant to be funny, but I've never met anyone who seems to think that.
It seems like everyone just assumes that someone else must find it funny. The alternative is that Sethy boy has been animating a teenage girl getting abused for no reason and got it aired on major networks for more than a decade with no consequences. If that's the case, it's fucking hilarious.
>>
>>93560807
Good. I hope we get more episodes like that.
>>
>>93560730
Meg is not exactly innocent here, she's done a bunch of fucked up things.
If she's a cunt you know she will get what's coming to her, same with most of the cast.
Her comeuppance is just shown more.

Then you have daughter characters from other shows like lisa, Roberta and Hailey that don't get shit.
>>
>>93560951
Why?
>>
>>93560730
OP it's ok because she decided to take everyone's abuse for the sake of keeping the family together.
>>
>>93560951

More episodes where horribly unlikable characters finally get called out on their shitty behavior but then everything goes back to normal at the end because status quo, with them thinking they're the victims and that Meg was in the wrong, likely signifying that this will never change unless Family Guy writers learn how to write actual fucking comedy? Yeah we need more of those.

(I know what you mean though anon, don't let my shitty attempt at sarcasm fool you)
>>
>>93560991
not that anon but the B plot was bretty good so I don't care about the rest
>>
>>93560730
I think it started as a parody of the way sitcoms would have one character who gets dumped on all the time for no apparent reason. Like the daughter on "Growing Pains" who was always the target of fat jokes, and eventually became anorexic in real life because of the experience.

As time went on of course it became the thing it was parodying.
>>
>>93560899
I resonate with what you say immensely. Like i can take mistreatment of a character for the purpose of a well-rounded joke, and maybe even for a little while the Meg jokes were indeed funny, but its become completely redundant after all this time. Its no longer a joke, its just something thats just done because its a "thing" Family Guy just does. Not only that but it isnt difficult being a teenager myself to sometimes connect with the very real insecurities Meg has.

That and the fact that some episodes Meg is actually an ok person sort of make her abuse less funny. It feels dark when its supposed to be funny. Family Guy should make jokes to be funny. Whatever the hell they did with Meg is no longer funny.
>>
>>93561043
The B Plot as in Meg has a forced confrontation or Brian's drug trip?
>>
>>93561148
Brian's drug trip with Stewie taking care of him, it was the entire opposite of mean-spirited, which is weird considering the Meg plot
>>
>>93561113
I agree, the way Steve gets treated is pretty shitty too and i dislike it as well. However the shit that aired about Meg I wouls say is still a couple tiers worse than anything Steve received.
>>
>>93560730
No because I don't give Family Guy any thought and neither should you
>>
>>93561204

At least Stan gets some punishment for it every once in a while, and sometimes from Steve himself as well. The characters who treat Meg like shit (everyone) don't get punishment. What they're doing is considered to be the right thing in the Family Guy universe.

I understand that she's a fictional character but at this point, with this many seasons of the same abuse joke being repeated, you have to be a complete sociopath to enjoy writing this (or enjoy watching it, really)
>>
As I understand it, Seth only intended for the Griffins to consist of Peter, Lois, Chris, and Stewie, but Fox made him insert a sister character for whatever reason. The writers consequently have never liked Meg and so she's shit on in every episode.
>>
>>93561538

And as a result all the other characters become completely unlikeable. Funny how these things work, wish the writers could make something half as funny as that.
>>
>>93560730
Switch over to American Dad instead. The family dynamics are stronger and the chracters actually care about each other
The first season with TBS was rocky, but it's actually consistent in quality too
>>
>>93560807
This episode seem like there were trying really hard to win an emmy, same for the episode where Stewie and Brian get locked up in a bank and the thanksgiving episode
>>
>>93560730
I used to but I've since become numb to it. Once it becomes too over the top I lose all sense of sympathy because it's so over the top.
>>
>>93560899
>Or when the plot requires her to be absolutely hideous, so hideous that it kills people if they look at her naked body.
This is especially awkward when Meg lives in the same house with Peter and Chris
>>
>>93560730
>>93560899
This.

Pre-cancelation FG was really just one gigantic slam against the family sitcom genre as a whole. It was dadaism--pointing out the flaws with a the most negative yet still funny interpretations and shock value comedy.

And that's still giving them alot of credit.

Meg just felt like to me every Sitcom Daughter stereotype rolled into one, but whereas Laura Winslow, or Marsha Brady or whomever you pleased learned lessons or had their shit worked out for them, the 'joke' with Meg was that she will never, ever win. She'll never be popular or liked by anyone, they depict her as being ugly and "hateable" as the show went on, it just became entirely about dumping on her to where the original point of roasting sitcom tropes was forgotten in favor of the world just being a gigantic asshole to her for 'laughs.'
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.