[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else disappointed with this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: images (2).jpg (38KB, 512x288px)
images (2).jpg
38KB, 512x288px
Now that we're done with the first arc of Gerard Way's Doom Patrol, does anyone else find it disappointing? It just seems like a rehash of old runs so far and just like Pollack's run, seems to be going for Morrison's weirdness instead of the humanity and ideas that made his run so great. It's also inferior to his Umbrella Academy, which seemed to be a proper follow up to Morrison's ideas. I hope he hits his stride in the next arc now that the team has been assembled.
>>
>>93541210
The whole imprint is meh-tier except Cave Carson which is fucking top tier.
>>
File: dp6.jpg (198KB, 588x892px)
dp6.jpg
198KB, 588x892px
I went into it without having read any DP before, and it's probably my fave current ongoing. I've since dived into the new reprints of the Morrison stuff and it's only enriching my appreciation of the YA run
>>
It's okay, but yeah, as weird as Morrison's run got, it still had a cohesive story and memorable villains. This doesn't. I'll probably end up ranking it as the 4th best DP run behind Giffen's.
>>
I thought I'd be more excited to see Morrison's Patrol getting back together but the entire time I wanted to get past that to see new adventures.
>>
Interestingly, Way has said that of all the Doom Patrol runs, he draws the most inspiration from Pollack's.
>>
>>93541429

>he draws the most inspiration from Pollack's

That's a terrible mistake if true.
>>
>>93541367
You're basing that entirely off of six issues? Sounds like you went in just wanting Morrison 2.0

I listened to an interview with Way and Derington and he made it specifically clear that he didn't want to just coast off Grant's mythos, and Grant respects him for that

>>93541257
If Wild Dog wasn't in CCHACE I'd prolly have dropped it by now. The story is a meandering mess and has stopped being a drama about a grieving father and a daughter he's disassociated from and went straight up mindless sci-fi action instead
>>
>>93541457
>Sounds like you went in just wanting Morrison 2.0

Nah, just a good comic, really.
>>
>>93541210
Have not read it. Always stand offish when they do a new Doom Patrol and Morrison is not involved. Which is odd because I am not a huge Morrison fan, just loved his run with the characters. Plus it is an imprint based on that shitty musician and all the other Young Animal books have not been that good.

Maybe someone has a more detailed opinion of it, other than 'it sucks'.
>>
>>93541472
If you haven't read Giffen's run you're doing yourself a disservice. In fact, the only Doom Patrol runs that aren't worth reading are Byrne's and Kupperberg's.
>>
>>93541515
I will give it a look, if I can find them, when I get home tonight. Just Morrison was the first time I read so I base my opinion about the team and relaunches on that.
>>
>>93541555
You should be reading the original Blake run then, if anything. It was pretty ahead of it's time.
>>
>>93541257
I hate that Oeming's art is wasted on such bland writing.

>>93541472
The arc is just about assembling the team and some flashbacks to Morrison and Giffen. It does have the usual Doom Patrol weirdness, but the characters aren't that intriguing. I won't say it sucks, but it's just a standard big two superhero book. The silver age run is another Doom Patrol run you should check out.
>>
>>93541582
Drake* sorry, I've been drinking.
>>
>>93541257
Cave is the worst in the line by far
fuck that book and its shitty art
>>
>>93541515
what's wrong with Kupperberg? I like everything I've read of his
>>
>>93541593
Personally I hate Oeming's art, it's really poor cartooning and his storytelling is often confused by the overdone artsy page layouts and compositions. Filardi makes him look so much better than he actually is
>>
>>93541647
Neither him nor Byrne understood what made the team work.
>>
>>93541647
He wanted to make them the X-Men. Same with Byrne.
>>
Bug is the only book I'm enjoying. It's a fun pulp book with done in ones.
>>
sorta
>>
I loved Scioli's Superpowers. I wish it was a full length series.
>>
As a new reader, it tests your patience. I stuck through it because I like weird stuff and cape comics have been stale to me, but the first arc is kind of inaccessible desu. I don't see the book getting any more clear too, which I think will hinder the sales and reception. Perhaps I should read Morrison's run as everyone suggests
>>
>>93541210
This is like the only comic I'm really loving right now. Seemed to be going for more characterization than weirdness to me, except maybe the first issue. The third issue (really cool issue) is all about Casey's origin story, while the fifth is mostly characterization for Casey and Danny and the sixth for Cliff and Jane.

Just seems to have better plotting and dialogue the everything else coming out. Each issue has memorable moments and feels like plenty of content, the one-liners are great.

>>93541257
Cave is good but I like Doom Patrol a lot more. Mother Panic is pretty good, Shade had a good first arc but then kind of fell off.

>>93541727
The dialogue is so bad though.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.