[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on the Lord of the Rings cartoon?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 9

File: Lord of the Rings.jpg (39KB, 600x332px) Image search: [Google]
Lord of the Rings.jpg
39KB, 600x332px
Thoughts on the Lord of the Rings cartoon?
>>
>>93529160
It's so rotoscoped it might be considered a movie.
>>
>>93529160
This right here was pretty much the only good scene. Bakshi was/is a hack who just never had the full talent and vision to make a good fucking movie even though sometimes I get the feeling he legitimately *tried*.

But still.

The rotoscoping wasn't used well overall, the discrepancy in quality of large crowd scenes during the film are just plain garbage, Sam looks hideous, and he tried to cram in three books worth of shit into a single movie yet the film just *ends* when Gandalf shows back up to save everybody at Helm's Deep. No follow up. No previous indicating that the movie wouldn't tell the whole (if truncated) story.

Rankin Bass did a much better job with the Hobbit adaptation, and while it would certainly be *tricky* for RB to have followed up with the whole LotR trilogy as a series of TV movies, I would kill for Rick Sanchez's portal gun to go dimension hopping until I found a world where it happened. ...And a world where Pizza increases your life span, but first things first!
>>
>>93530663
>he legitimately *tried*.

Why would he not?

The whole thing was a labor of love but he bit off more than he could chew, like Lucas and the prequels

At least Jackson's films weren't soulless shit like the TFA trilogy is
>>
>>93530663
...And yes, I know they made Return of the King but that was... eh. I feel like that was made specifically to counter balance the LotR movie and would much rather see the whole trilogy as planned out by them rather than a hasty rush job.
>>
File: Teegra.png (280KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
Teegra.png
280KB, 604x453px
>>93530663
>. Bakshi was/is a hack who just never had the full talent and vision to make a good fucking movie even though sometimes I get the feeling he legitimately *tried*.
Fuck you, Fire and Ice was great.
>>
>>93530729
I'm trying to be generous, as I really don't think much of his talent as an animator, but he's not an asshole trying to shill a crummy product. Even if he only tried to make Cool World because Roger Rabbit was a huge success, Bakshi didn't fucking deserve what happened to his project. Nobody did.

But Bakshi just doesn't understand animation economy or, rather, when to use rotoscoping properly in damn near any of his films. maybe he just gets wrapped up in the wrong details but I've watched entire films where the camera just focuses so much on a character walking sluggishly one direction and then into the backdrop only for him to later animate a fight where everything's choppy and poorly choreographed and is overall brief. Maybe he knows *how* to make animation but he doesn't know how to make it *work* apart from times when he gets lucky.
>>
>>93530842
No it wasn't. It was a waste of a perfectly good Frank Frazetta, god rest his soul, and even if it's unfair to compare an animated film to Frazetta's original art work, the problems I mentioned here still apply.

I will grant you F&I may be one of his better films, and I haven't seen Wizards, which is universally regarded as decent, but his track record is pretty poor even if he didn't make only flops.
>>
File: Clark.jpg (30KB, 701x410px) Image search: [Google]
Clark.jpg
30KB, 701x410px
>>93530729
>like Lucas and the prequels
>>
It's kind of a mess. Peter Jackson for LotR, Rankin Bass for the Hobbit.
>>
>>93529160
It's fun to watch the budget run out as it gets further along
>>
>>93530941
Wizards is top tier shit. Leave that abomination in the pit.

Fire and Ice is, however, a decent enough film to warrant viewing. I love it, personally - sword and sorcery is my weakspot, and Darkwolf had an amazing character design.

Also, Teegra.
>>
>>93532230
Sword and sorcery is my jam too, but... I dunno what to say, man. I didn't like this movie. The animation felt choppy, the camera focused on the wrong things too often and transition scenes were prolonged glaringly only to briefly showcase more poor character animation. It always felt like the characters were *about* to do something and then recoiled. I always got the feeling the film took every short cut it could to stall showing action stuff until the last possible moment and it hurt the film more than it helped.
>>
>>93531455
Patrician opinion right here. I can understand people not liking Jackson's Hobbit films (I personally didn't), but badmouth the original LotR trilogy and you have crossed a fucking line.
>>
File: The Death Dealer.jpg (321KB, 1143x1440px) Image search: [Google]
The Death Dealer.jpg
321KB, 1143x1440px
>>93532230
Darkwolf is just a recycle of the "Death Dealer" design.
Great Design tho, there is an U.S. Army camp or something that has a statue of him as their mascot
>>
>>93531408
If you think Lucas was after a cashgrab, you think wrong.
>>
File: army-national-guard-fort-hood.jpg (59KB, 534x712px) Image search: [Google]
army-national-guard-fort-hood.jpg
59KB, 534x712px
>>93533035
Its Fort Hood.
>>
>>93530729
>but he bit off more than he could chew, like Lucas and the prequels
I still don't see how the PT is more flawed than the OT.

Even ESB has gaping WTF elements, like why someone as powerful as Yoda hadn't been fighting the Empire in any way until Luke showed up, and even then didn't leave his mudhole.
>>
>>93529160
I love it. The visuals and music are mostly very distinctive and comfy.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXvXlBUOyAo
>>
>>93533193
She, that's not the narrative.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWjt6LGhHsI

>we will never see a Witch King performance this amazing again
>>
>>93534206
This. The helmet in Return of the King was trash. Looked more like a cheap mask rather than a herald of a fucking dark god.

It was real shame, i think modern special effects could have done justice to the book's description. Even more of a shame because the movies got the winged beasts Nazgul rode very well. They could have been some pterodactyls but they used at least some imagination.
>>
So it's pretty much agreed that if they had been able to make a separate movie for Two Towers, the entire thing would have been dope as shit?
>>
>>93534367
My three big plot complaints for an otherwise excellent film series
>No darkness over Minas Tirith till the Rhohirrim show up
>No Witch King smashing the gate by himself
>No confrontation at the gate with Gandalf
>>
>>93529160
Honestly, it had some really good scenes. But some characterization was fucking horrible.

Just look at Samwise. He is supposed to be an everyman like he was in the LoTR movies. Not some pathetic comedy relief that looked fucking terrible.
>>
WHERE THERE'S A WHIP
THERE'S A WAY
>>
>>93529160
Honestly? I just preferred Wizards. Just because of the ending. Best possible ending. No giant wizard duel. No fucking crazy ass magic. Just the good brother pulling out a gun and shooting the evil brother with a single line of bile and contempt for his evil ways.

Also... THEY KILLED FRITZ!
>>
>>93534703
I still sing that song to myself when I'm doing a hard day's work.
>>
>>93530729
The jackson films felt like generic action movies to me.

>>93530663
Honestly, I'd like to see an animated version of the entire series but, that is unlikely to happen.
The Rankin Bass style fits it well
>>
File: GoldenHall2.1-WormtongueBakshi.jpg (40KB, 400x338px) Image search: [Google]
GoldenHall2.1-WormtongueBakshi.jpg
40KB, 400x338px
Well, they weren't as good as PJ's trilogy but I did enjoy how much more book friendly Bakshi's movie was. I would've loved to see him adapt Return of the King. Although, it would've been awkward to see Eowyn go from literally a silent cameo to a major player at Pelennor fields.
>>
>>93534703
A CRACK ON THE BACK SAYS WE"RE GONNA FIGHT!
>>
>>93534785
>The jackson films felt like generic action movies to me.
If only generic action movies were all as good as the LotR films.
>>
>>93534732
Sie sind aber natürlich, richtig.
>>
>>93534206
>Skeletor of Angmar
That performance was not amazing, we didn't even get a single NYEH for our troubles.
>>
>>93534206
If they had james earl jones or another bass voice in there it would've been better
>>
File: 1491376672261.jpg (62KB, 395x363px) Image search: [Google]
1491376672261.jpg
62KB, 395x363px
I watch Bakshi fills and just think "where's the content? The art is nice, the animation is nice but it feels like there's nothing going on."
>>
>>93529160
I've only seen it once, but i recall enjoying it.

My uncle told me when he was younger he had all the songs they sing in the cartoon memorized.
>>
File: 436447.jpg (39KB, 492x388px) Image search: [Google]
436447.jpg
39KB, 492x388px
>Peter Jackson interpreted the "Fire of Orthanc" as Saruman utilizing his deep (and corrupting) knowledge of the dark arts to invent an early form of gunpowder, further developing the link between industrialization and destruction illustrated throughout the film by Saruman's descent into darkness as he turns his back on the natural world

>Ralph Bakshi interpreted the "Fire of Orthanc" as Saruman standing on his roof shooting lasers halfway across the planet with his magic wand
>>
>>93534206
I remember hating how in the Peter Jackson movie they turned the whole I am no man thing into a one liner.
>>
>>93533193
Yoda didn't have fancy saber tricks until AOTC
>>
>>93533193

>missing the point of Yoda, the Jedi, and Star Wars in general THIS badly

I'm legitimately impressed.
>>
>>93537945
No "point" fixes the fact that if Yoda actually cared he would have been helping fight himself.
>>
>>93537806
He was much stronger than Luke though. He lifted the ship with ease compared to Luke.
>>
I just want an animated anthology of The Silmarillion already.
>>
>>93539356
Except he told Luke that lifting things with the Force was not a matter of strength.
>>
>>93539386
Man, we will never get an adaptation of the Silmarillion. I mean seeing what happened to Star Wars, maybe it's for the best the rights stay locked away.
>>
>>93539422
Just like he told Luke never for attack but trained Luke to attack his own father.
>>
>>93539449
>Not wanting based Disney to buy the rights to Tolkien's body of work and make the Tolkien Cinematic Universe
shiggy
>>
It's a pleasant watch and i enjoy it, but I just can't get over Aragorn running around wearing a burlap sack that goes down to his balls whilst looking like Sitting Bull.

His whole appearance never sat right with me.
>>
>>93539640
I shudder to think what the Men of Gondor would've looked like.
>>
>>93532230
>and Darkwolf had an amazing character design.

Fire and Ice took the most clichéd character designs possible and made them work. To this day, Nekron is in my top 3 when I picture evil low fantasy wizards.
>>
File: de a hobit.png (22KB, 84x84px) Image search: [Google]
de a hobit.png
22KB, 84x84px
>>93534703
FIFTEEN BIRDS
IN FIVE FIR TREES
THEIR FEATHERS WERE FANNED
IN A FIERY BREEZE
BUT WHAT FUNNY BIRDS
THEY HAVE NO WINGS
OH WHAT SHALL WE DO
WITH THE FUNNY LITTLE THINGS?
(oh what shall we do, with the funny little things)
>>
>>93542936
down down to goblin town!
>>
>>93533217
>ever using comfy as a buzzword
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.